PDA

View Full Version : TSA launches toll-free help line for travelers with medical needs

Shadow
12-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Washington (CNN) -- Traveling on planes is stressful enough for passengers over the holiday, but even more so if someone has a disability or medical need. Now the Transportation Security Administration, which has endured widespread criticism for intrusive pat-downs, is launching a toll-free help line to get travelers through security checkpoints.
The agency announced Thursday the start of TSA Cares, designed to assist travelers in need before they get to the airport. The idea is to answer questions about screening procedures and what the travelers should expect.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/22/travel/tsa-hotline/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Think this will help?

Kathianne
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Shadow, it can't hurt if the problem was with the passengers.

On the other hand, if it's the TSA I'm not so sure. It's not just the elderly and infirm that have run into issues. Are some of these folks just trying to make TSA look bad, as has been CH's point on the vast majority of complaints? Of course some certainly are. But the 'vast majority' of those flying are doing so for need or pleasure, so I'd guess that the number of complaints-those that aren't making news like a wheel chair bound grandma are legitimate.

ConHog
12-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Shadow, it can't hurt if the problem was with the passengers.

On the other hand, if it's the TSA I'm not so sure. It's not just the elderly and infirm that have run into issues. Are some of these folks just trying to make TSA look bad, as has been CH's point on the vast majority of complaints? Of course some certainly are. But the 'vast majority' of those flying are doing so for need or pleasure, so I'd guess that the number of complaints-those that aren't making news like a wheel chair bound grandma are legitimate.

I think I said many, not vast majority. The vast majority of people in fact have had NO problems with the TSA.

And this toll free number is a GREAT idea, should have been done years ago. Use DisneyLand as an example, they have for years (maybe even decades) had a system in place where people who needed special assistance could call and the parks would be aware they were coming and make accommodations for them rather than someone in a wheel chair just showing up out of the blue and getting frustrated and mad when the company wasn't prepared for their needs.

Kathianne
12-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I think I said many, not vast majority. The vast majority of people in fact have had NO problems with the TSA.

And this toll free number is a GREAT idea, should have been done years ago. Use DisneyLand as an example, they have for years (maybe even decades) had a system in place where people who needed special assistance could call and the parks would be aware they were coming and make accommodations for them rather than someone in a wheel chair just showing up out of the blue and getting frustrated and mad when the company wasn't prepared for their needs.

Nope, vast as in 90% being scammers, 10% being legitimate complaints. Seems there was an implication that people were going through just to file complaints and make life hard for those poor TSA employees and the people who just wanted to move along.

ConHog
12-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Nope, vast as in 90% being scammers, 10% being legitimate complaints. Seems there was an implication that people were going through just to file complaints and make life hard for those poor TSA employees and the people who just wanted to move along.

No implication. I'm flat saying it. There ARE people who go to the airports just looking to cause problems with the TSA. Heck LUVPRG even said as much in the other thread, that he enjoys fucking with law enforcement, and he isn't alone.

Put on a badge sometime Kath and just go so how many push buttons and just look for a way to get you to fuck up so they can make a big deal out of it. It's disgusting.

Kathianne
12-25-2011, 04:22 PM
No implication. I'm flat saying it. There ARE people who go to the airports just looking to cause problems with the TSA. Heck LUVPRG even said as much in the other thread, that he enjoys fucking with law enforcement, and he isn't alone.

Put on a badge sometime Kath and just go so how many push buttons and just look for a way to get you to fuck up so they can make a big deal out of it. It's disgusting.

But, but you said this just a few posts ago:

No one was saying all people flying complain. The discussion was about complaints. 90% of complaints are likely NOT bogus.

ConHog
12-25-2011, 05:09 PM
But, but you said this just a few posts ago:

No one was saying all people flying complain. The discussion was about complaints. 90% of complaints are likely NOT bogus.

90%? No likely not that high, but 60-70% of those who complain are either doing so maliciously or because they just don't even know what their own rights are and what they can expect. Take the old lady in the other thread for example. I don't believe she made that story up out of thin air to try to get someone in trouble. I believe she wasn't aware what the TSA policies are and got pissed off when someone asked her to remove what they thought was a money belt, when TSA policy clearly says money belts must be removed and X rayed in the event of a pat down. That makes her little complaint bogus. Unless you feel we should start throwing TSAin prison for making an honest mistake.

I've seen it MANY times, people don't know their rights when they encounter a LEO and then they whine when something happens that isn't even illegal, and in fact the police are allowed to do. Go to ANY mid sized cities police station and ask them how many complaints of the police violating their rights are found to be justified complaints. It will be around 30-40% on average. Because people are stupid and complain about things that they have no reason to complain about.

Now, that being said , the 30-40% of claims that are legitimate should be prosecuted to the fullest of the law.