PDA

View Full Version : My house was robbed last night :(

Hagbard Celine
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
You heard right. I stopped by the house after work to pick up and drop off a few things before I headed down to my family's house to do laundry for the evening. When I got back the house was ransacked and all my valuables were gone. The worst part is there's not much I can do other than give serial numbers to the police, put flyers in my neighbor's mailboxes and call local pawn shops in the hope that the thieves are dumb enough to try and pawn my possessions. The feeling of violation is pretty intense--I had no choice other than to sleep at my house last night after I spoke with the police and I'd be lying if I said I felt at ease there. I'm out about a little over $2000. Haven't heard back from my homeowner's insurance yet. :dunno: Boo thieves. :(

Little-Acorn
05-17-2007, 12:12 PM
That royally sucks. My sympathies, Hagbard. I hope the cops pick up some leads. Did they fingerprint the door frame, countertops etc.?

What kind of neighborhood is it? Crooks tend to hang out where they can make a steady living, rather than hoping for a once-a-month lucky break.

A digital camera with a big memory, that snaps a picture whenever the door is opened, might be a worthwhile investment. It's YOUR house. Empty the memory once every few weeks.

Hope they get the SOB, so you can rest easier. Good luck.

Pale Rider
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Well holy shit hag. What a fucking DRAG! They may have cased your joint. You may even know them, or know someone who knows them.

"Trust no one."

Birdzeye
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Oh, man, that's awful, Hagbard. Your feeling of being violated is a normal reaction too. I felt the same way when I was robbed at gunpoint.

Mr. P
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Well Hag, sorry to hear it but you do live in College Park, expect it again.

gabosaurus
05-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Crimes totally sucks. I am most depressed to hear of a fellow DP member who has suffered.

-Cp
05-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Would've felt safer there last night with a trusty firearm at your side... :)

Hoorah for the 2nd Amendment! :)

Nienna
05-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Very sorry, Hagbard. But I am glad no one was hurt. :)

Mr. P
05-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Only if he had it in a safe, otherwise they'd have stolen it too.

Hagbard Celine
05-17-2007, 01:20 PM

my firearms were in the house and were stolen.

typomaniac
05-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Add my sympathies as well, man. That was a real shitty break.

When I was living in one of those mega-apartment complexes a long time ago, I remember being rousted by the police myself at about 2 AM: they told me that my car had been broken into. Someone had thrown a cement utility-hole cover through the back window and started prying at the back seat in an unsuccessful effort to get into the trunk. (Colossally stupid, of course, because they could have simply gone through the window and popped the trunk latch in the cabin!) Even more ironic, I had several CDs in the car, none of which was taken.

Hopefully the guys who hit you are just as retarded and get themselves caught soon.

-Cp
05-17-2007, 01:29 PM

d0h! that sux.... do you have the serial #'s on them?

Little-Acorn
05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Only if he had it in a safe, otherwise they'd have stolen it too.

"By her side", he said. That means carrying, in a purse or holster or etc., where the thief couldn't get it without a fight.

But it takes more than a gun. It takes training and practice, so you know when to shoot and when not to. Most crimes that get deterred by guns, are deterred without a shot being fired. Once the goon realizes you are armed, he'll usually leave, or stay away in the first place. There are a few who will go ahead anyway, but your overall chances of being robbed or assaulted etc. go way down.

When I pick up a gun, it's a worrrisome thing for me. I know that now I have to ability to hurt or kill someone quite easily, even accidentally, which I cetainly don't want to do. It's a HEAVY responsibility, and makes me be VERY careful. So I practice when I can, so I won't be surprised or unprepared in the gun's usage.

You hear a lot of predictions that when a law-abiding citizen gets a gun, he becomes a wild man and blazes away at anything that moves. But evidence bears out that nothing of the kind happens. I suspect that the vast majority of law-abiding people feel and behave the way I do - they are careful and responsible with a gun, and don't do dumb things.

If Hagbard were to simply get a gun, she might feel MORE nervous, not less. Because she might be unfamiliar with it, unsure of its usage (How many safeties does it have? How are they used? Can it cock-and-lock? Will the recoil bounce the gun off your forehead? Where will the bullet go if you miss?etc.). Practice, and advice from an experienced person, will do a lot to quell the added nervousness. But simply getting a gun, is like simply handing an automobile to a 14-year-old who has never driven one nor studied how it's done.

That said, yes, I'd suggest getting a purse gun such as a .22 or a .380-auto. You'll probably never need it, just as you'll probably never need your house's fire-insurance policy. And then go to a shooting range and get used to it. If you can get advice, so much the better.

Oh, and check your state's and town's laws. They shouldn't do anything to restrict you... but many do, foolishly.

----------------------------------

ON EDIT:

Oh, I see you had firearms in the house. So you were probably familiar with them, and didn't need most of this post. Sorry.

The rest of what I said still applies. You might investigate a concealed-carry permit. Where I am, they're almost impossible to get. Where you are, I don't know. It won't keep your house from getting ransacked when you're away, of course. But it will help you sleep a little better at night.

Ironically, now you have a reason you can give the cops, to justify the permit. Not that any external justification should be needed.

Hagbard Celine
05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
d0h! that sux.... do you have the serial #'s on them?

Nope. I never went around and documented the serial numbers for any of the stuff I had--never saw a need to--until now...The guns were just .22-cal pistols. They were both purchased by my dad. I tried contacting probate court but they said they didn't file firearms serial numbers, which blew my mind. I thought the state documented all firearms :dunno: Good argument for firearm registration if you ask me.

Little-Acorn
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Good argument for firearm registration if you ask me.
I'm sold.

I'll send you my address. You can write to me and tell me the serial numbers of any firearms you have, or buy in the future. Then next time they are stolen, you can ask me for the numbers, and I'll send them back to you.

Why does the government need to get involved? Especially in a matter outside their legitimate jurisdiction?

In fact, you could cut out the middleman (c'est moi) and just write them down somewhere. Might be even more efficient... and you won't feel as bad over having failed to properly take care of your own firearms.

Sorry, Celine. Don't mean to get on you when you're in the state you're in (or at least the state I'd be in if that had happened to me). But every time I hear "The government should have stepped in and prevented me from screwing up", my mood changes. Because you're asking the government to step on me, too - an action I disagree with.

Hagbard Celine
05-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm sold.

I'll send you my address. You can write to me and tell me the serial numbers of any firearms you have, or buy in the future. Then next time they are stolen, you can ask me for the numbers, and I'll send them back to you.

Why does the government need to get involved? Especially in a matter outside their legitimate jurisdiction?

In fact, you could cut out the middleman (c'est moi) and just write them down somewhere. Might be even more efficient... and you won't feel as bad over having failed to properly take care of your own firearms.

Sorry, Celine. Don't mean to get on you when you're in the state you're in (or at least the state I'd be in if that had happened to me). But every time I hear "The government should have stepped in and prevented me from screwing up", my mood changes. Because you're asking the government to step on me, too - an action I disagree with.

I'm just saying, if the government already registers gun owners, why not the actual guns too? *That would've saved me a little trouble, but it would also help law enforcement out a lot too don't you think? Why would doing this "step on you?"

jackass
05-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Hag, sorry to hear it man. At least you are alright though. Possesions can be replaced.

Abbey Marie
05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Sorry! That's an awful feeling.

krisy
05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
So sorry to hear this Hag. I don't think I could sleep in my house the night after it had been broken into,especially having kids.

Our car was broke into where we used to live and they stole several cds along with a cd player which my husband worked extra for to get me for Christmas. It's a bummer for sure. I was kind of uncomfortable just having my car broke into.

nevadamedic
05-17-2007, 08:13 PM

Hopefully they try to pawn the guns, those are easy to trace!

nevadamedic
05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Add my sympathies as well, man. That was a real shitty break.

When I was living in one of those mega-apartment complexes a long time ago, I remember being rousted by the police myself at about 2 AM: they told me that my car had been broken into. Someone had thrown a cement utility-hole cover through the back window and started prying at the back seat in an unsuccessful effort to get into the trunk. (Colossally stupid, of course, because they could have simply gone through the window and popped the trunk latch in the cabin!) Even more ironic, I had several CDs in the car, none of which was taken.

Hopefully the guys who hit you are just as retarded and get themselves caught soon.

Even though they were stupid that still sucks. A whole cover and really fuck up a car. I think distruction of someone's personal property is a horrible crime. People work to damn hard for the thing to have them vandalised or stolen by low life punks.

nevadamedic
05-17-2007, 08:20 PM
"By her side", he said. That means carrying, in a purse or holster or etc., where the thief couldn't get it without a fight.

But it takes more than a gun. It takes training and practice, so you know when to shoot and when not to. Most crimes that get deterred by guns, are deterred without a shot being fired. Once the goon realizes you are armed, he'll usually leave, or stay away in the first place. There are a few who will go ahead anyway, but your overall chances of being robbed or assaulted etc. go way down.

When I pick up a gun, it's a worrrisome thing for me. I know that now I have to ability to hurt or kill someone quite easily, even accidentally, which I cetainly don't want to do. It's a HEAVY responsibility, and makes me be VERY careful. So I practice when I can, so I won't be surprised or unprepared in the gun's usage.

You hear a lot of predictions that when a law-abiding citizen gets a gun, he becomes a wild man and blazes away at anything that moves. But evidence bears out that nothing of the kind happens. I suspect that the vast majority of law-abiding people feel and behave the way I do - they are careful and responsible with a gun, and don't do dumb things.

If Hagbard were to simply get a gun, she might feel MORE nervous, not less. Because she might be unfamiliar with it, unsure of its usage (How many safeties does it have? How are they used? Can it cock-and-lock? Will the recoil bounce the gun off your forehead? Where will the bullet go if you miss?etc.). Practice, and advice from an experienced person, will do a lot to quell the added nervousness. But simply getting a gun, is like simply handing an automobile to a 14-year-old who has never driven one nor studied how it's done.

That said, yes, I'd suggest getting a purse gun such as a .22 or a .380-auto. You'll probably never need it, just as you'll probably never need your house's fire-insurance policy. And then go to a shooting range and get used to it. If you can get advice, so much the better.

Oh, and check your state's and town's laws. They shouldn't do anything to restrict you... but many do, foolishly.

----------------------------------

ON EDIT:

Oh, I see you had firearms in the house. So you were probably familiar with them, and didn't need most of this post. Sorry.

The rest of what I said still applies. You might investigate a concealed-carry permit. Where I am, they're almost impossible to get. Where you are, I don't know. It won't keep your house from getting ransacked when you're away, of course. But it will help you sleep a little better at night.

Ironically, now you have a reason you can give the cops, to justify the permit. Not that any external justification should be needed.

The only time ever to pull a gun is if you feel your life or someone around you's life is in imminent danger.

5stringJeff
05-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Hagbard, we were broken into a few years ago too. It sucks. I had my pistol stolen as well. Fortunately for me, the retard tried to execute someone with my pistol the next weekend. He must have been too stupid to check the barrel, because I keep my pistol with a full magazine loaded, but no round in the chamber. Anyway, the guy got 42 years for Assault 1, Burgalry 1, Robbery 1, and some minor stuff. I got my gun back about 2 years later.

theHawk
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Its crap like this that really pisses me off. I can't fathom stooping so freakin low as to break into someone's home and steal everything in there, but apparently to some people its just everyday business. Pure low-life scum. Some people might say its just 'possesions' that can be replaced by insurance money(if you happen to have it) but to me everything in my house is stuff I have worked hard for a long time to get or its stuff that was passed down to me by my family. IMO shitbags that do this kind of stuff should get the death penalty.

Hope they catch the theives Haggy. But even if they do, I doubt much will happen to them.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 06:44 PM
It does suck. The feeling will last, but you will be strong and get over it. Sometimes it helps me to hear others stories:

Came back from Christmas fifth grade, door open, house ransacked. Went through mom's personal stuff too and just threw it around. About 2 months later I am at the neighbor's house, and I see hotwheels that look just like mine, and I see the kid has an electronic clock, just like my brothers (he is handicap, so it had extra large numbers). I stared at it, mentioned the hotwheels, was kicked out the house, they moved the next week. Cops never found the vile scum.

Scary. Screwed me up for while, slept with large knife handy. But stuff happens. Judging from your posts, you will overcome this crap.

Stay strong man.