PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here think HOV Lanes are a waste?

-Cp
05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Have you ever seen ANY area where HOV lanes have improved the flow of traffic?

Mr. P
05-17-2007, 01:14 PM

Not here in Atlanta.

Hobbit
05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
I think the HOV does a lot for the people in the lane in Atlanta, unless there's a wreck.

darin
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Nor in Puyallup. However in/near DC, they get a TON of use.

Creation generates Revenue. Both from tickets cops can write, to the contractors who bid for the projects. Like USELESS "Hands-Free Phone Devices while in a car" it's FEEL-GOOD legislation.

Monkeybone
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
we ain't special enough to have a carpool lane around here:(

shattered
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
We have carpool lanes only on the onramps to freeways.. Once you get on the freeway, it's driving as usual.. So, if someone can explain to me what they're good for at all...

Nuc
05-17-2007, 06:13 PM

Yes, everywhere. Especially in California. They are great!

-Cp
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Yes, everywhere. Especially in California. They are great!

I've been to the bay area more times than I can recall and LA numerous times... I'd like you to tell me how HOV has helped ANYTHING there? That traffic in those areas is JACKED UP!!

Yurt
05-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I live on the central coast of CA, but often travel to LA and San Diego as my folks live there. My experience with carpool lanes is about 50/50. Sometimes they really help, other times the traffic is so bad, it does not matter and then my ultimate pet peeve, those drivers that feel that just because they have two people in the car they "must" go in the carpool lane and park it. This a waste. If you are going slower than the majority lanes of traffic, get over! I know it is not the "fast" lane, but why get in that lane if you are going as slow or slower than the slow lane? That really bunches traffic up.

I also am not sure I like my tax dollars going to a lane I can't always use. What about people who live in an area where it is impossible to carpool, e.g., your nearest co-worker is in another time zone.....