PDA

View Full Version : Dog medication

jimnyc
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I wonder if dogs get addicted to medicine like humans? My Pug, who has the "collapsing trachea" was prescribed hydrocodone/tussigon - which is basically a cough suppressant, but it does have the hydrocodone in it which I know can be addictive to humans. My dog has been on it like 4-6 months now and takes a half a pill 3 times daily. He seems to pace back and forth at times, and I don't know if it's medicine related or him just being goofy. I'm afraid to stop giving it to him for any periods as I don't want to bring him any discomfort.

Yes, I plan on seeing my vet for a definitive answer but thought I would post it here anyway! Anyone ever give "human drugs" to their dog? And yes, I go to CVS and have his meds filled as it is in fact regular medicine and not vet medicine!

shattered
12-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I dunno, but I'm unwilling to risk it. I was told to give my dog Benedryl for possible allergies, and to calm his separation anxiety. That was back in July. Haven't done it yet.

(Did you get him a harness rather than a collar for the trachea thing? They should not wear collars if they're prone to problems like that.)

jimnyc
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I dunno, but I'm unwilling to risk it. I was told to give my dog Benedryl for possible allergies, and to calm his separation anxiety. That was back in July. Haven't done it yet.

(Did you get him a harness rather than a collar for the trachea thing? They should not wear collars if they're prone to problems like that.)

Too late for the risk for me, he's already been on it since he was diagnosed. First it was "as needed" and then it became permanent. I am very quick to believe whatever our vet tells us, as she's been seeing this fat little bastard for 12 years now! He now has 3 harnesses, but doesn't wear anything most of the time. We have a decent sized yard for him and the other little bastard Chihuahua to play in. But when we do bring him out or take him for a walk, he solely wears a harness now. He's better than Porter, the littler bastard, as the little guy won't wear either. He's like a corpse if you put ANYTHING on him. Put a collar on him and he tenses up like he is dead. Poke him to move him and he just falls over. He'll stay like this forever, but jumps up like nothing happened as soon as you remove it. Needless to say, he's in the yard almost always, but luckily he doesn't budge to get away if I carry him anywhere - he just shivers like he is on death row. But he'll go after you like a Pit Bull if you fuck with him!