PDA

View Full Version : Ccfl's are smoking and starting fires.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 05:51 PM
THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE THINGS THAT SHOWS WHY WE SHOULDNT JUST LAY DOWN AND ALLOW THE GOVT AT ANY LEVEL TELL US HOW TO LIVE.
Now these things are proving to be highly dangerous.
And this is coming right after the news about a Victorian house in Conn. catching fire and killing a ladies three kids and contractor.

One of the base problems is that the govt doesnt allow us any other choices, and when they cause dangerous situations, sometimes deadly, they take NO RESPONSABILITY for it.

jimnyc
12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE THINGS THAT SHOWS WHY WE SHOULDNT JUST LAY DOWN AND ALLOW THE GOVT AT ANY LEVEL TELL US HOW TO LIVE.
And this is coming right after the news about a Victorian house in Conn. catching fire and killing a ladies three kids and contractor.

One of the base problems is that the govt doesnt allow us any other choices, and when they cause dangerous situations, sometimes deadly, they take NO RESPONSABILITY for it.

The Connecticut fire was only about 10 miles north of me. Poor lady lost her 3 kids and her parents. Did they find a cause for the fire already?

ConHog
12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Where's the beef? Just a claim with no supporting evidence?

sundaydriver
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
This is the Connecticut initial investigation news, the other fire I have no idea of.

Fireplace Blamed for Deadly Connecticut House Fire

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27/conn-fire-victim-had-career-as-safety-chief/?test=latestnews#ixzz1hmLQVbnx (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27/conn-fire-victim-had-career-as-safety-chief/?test=latestnews/lixzz1hmLQVbnx)

ConHog
12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
This is the Connecticut initial investigation news, the other fire I have no idea of.

Fireplace Blamed for Deadly Connecticut House Fire

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27/conn-fire-victim-had-career-as-safety-chief/?test=latestnews#ixzz1hmLQVbnx (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/27/conn-fire-victim-had-career-as-safety-chief/?test=latestnews/lixzz1hmLQVbnx)

So I don't get it, are you saying the Conn fire was not due to the government?

jimnyc
12-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Losing your entire family over a fireplace, wow. The fire probably went out and they figured it was safe to go to bed, but sometimes the coals stay lit for hours. Very, very sad.

Off topic - sunday, your avatar is making it difficult to read your posts and take you seriously. I can't get that image out of my head and my first instinct when seeing a post of yours is to think that is you. Best, avatar, ever, but fucked up at the same time! LOL :coffee:

gabosaurus
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
The Connecticut fire was only about 10 miles north of me. Poor lady lost her 3 kids and her parents. Did they find a cause for the fire already?

Perhaps it is just me. But I think the most intriguing part of the story is -- with the woman's husband away during the time of the fire, why did first responders find a man dressed only in a shirt and underwear having escaped from the house at 5 a.m.? :eek:

gabosaurus
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
STAMFORD -- City officials said the Shippan Point home destroyed in a Christmas Day fire that killed five people did not have the proper permits for occupancy while undergoing construction.

The early-morning fire at the home, which was undergoing renovations, was caused by fireplace embers that were discarded near a mud room and a trash enclosure at the rear of the home, fire officials said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

sundaydriver
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Losing your entire family over a fireplace, wow. The fire probably went out and they figured it was safe to go to bed, but sometimes the coals stay lit for hours. Very, very sad.

Off topic - sunday, your avatar is making it difficult to read your posts and take you seriously. I can't get that image out of my head and my first instinct when seeing a post of yours is to think that is you. Best, avatar, ever, but fucked up at the same time! LOL :coffee:

I'm not admitting that's me, but I am having a really hard time finding parts for my Commodore computer. :laugh:

ConHog
12-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Looks like the OP should have entitled this thread "I will now make some shit up about how some fires started."

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM

thanks for that ;Jimnyc
My mistake, her parents died in the fire, not her contractor. Apparently her and her contractor were the only two who made it out.
How absolutely tragic.
Latest Ive heard is they are looking at the fireplace.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm not admitting that's me, but I am having a really hard time finding parts for my Commodore computer. :laugh:

I love that avatar ! I like seeing conhogs photo all the time.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 10:00 PM
STAMFORD -- City officials said the Shippan Point home destroyed in a Christmas Day fire that killed five people did not have the proper permits for occupancy while undergoing construction.

The early-morning fire at the home, which was undergoing renovations, was caused by fireplace embers that were discarded near a mud room and a trash enclosure at the rear of the home, fire officials said at a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

what I heard is the guy is a contractor, their contractor?

wow, if thats true about how they discarded the embers, thats really messed up.STUPID, STUPID. STUPID, absolutely freaking unbelievable.
I wouldve been way more careful even in my stucco house, much less a tinderbox antique wood house primed to burn.
what is a mud room?

ConHog
12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I love that avatar ! I like seeing conhogs photo all the time.

I love the irony of you constantly angrily trolling me then having the nerve to imply that I am an angry troll is beyond amusing.

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I love the irony of you constantly angrily trolling me then having the nerve to imply that I am an angry troll is beyond amusing.
Im trolling you? hahhahah
I started this thread, and within 5 minutes you showed up, who is trolling who?

ConHog
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Im trolling you? hahhahah
I started this thread, and within 5 minutes you showed up, who is trolling who?

Posting in a thread you started isn't trolling you. LOL. Attacking the person rather than addressing the topic is trolling. I'm happy to comapre which of us has done THAT more than the other.

logroller
12-28-2011, 03:04 AM
what I heard is the guy is a contractor, their contractor?

wow, if thats true about how they discarded the embers, thats really messed up.STUPID, STUPID. STUPID, absolutely freaking unbelievable.
I wouldve been way more careful even in my stucco house, much less a tinderbox antique wood house primed to burn.
what is a mud room?

A mud room is an enclosed porch, usually heated and insulated, which is used for changing out of wet or muddy clothes and shoes before entering the main house. In San Diego, it'd be called the pool changing room :laugh:

ConHog
12-28-2011, 11:37 AM
A mud room is an enclosed porch, usually heated and insulated, which is used for changing out of wet or muddy clothes and shoes before entering the main house. In San Diego, it'd be called the pool changing room :laugh:

I thought everyone knew that? :laugh2: Ours is our laundry room.

jimnyc
12-28-2011, 12:04 PM

I know I'm probably the oddball, but I've never removed the embers from a fire before. I just time it, if possible, to where it'll sit long enough and die out.

ConHog
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
I know I'm probably the oddball, but I've never removed the embers from a fire before. I just time it, if possible, to where it'll sit long enough and die out.

I've often went to bed with a fire going . In the winter time when you're trying to cut down on utility bills.......

Abbey Marie
12-28-2011, 12:33 PM
What is a ccFl?

ConHog
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
What is a ccFl?

the new lightbulbs that look like coils of rope. Apparently LUV is against saving energy.

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM

hahha, yea, thats funny.
Its amazing how many things are different in our houses.
There are alot of plants that are called "foundation plants", and most dont know why they are called that. We dont have foundations like your homes back east. They were used to hide the foundations of the houses and the name has stuck.

We have very few fireplaces, thats both good and bad.
...WE basicallyt dont have any homes built in the 19th century, bummer. I want to go east and check some of them out.
We also dont have cellars, (criminal minds wouldnt do so well out here) so your neck of the woods attracts more homicidal maniacs. :)
...If you build a stucco house here, you can go 50 years and not have to do one bit of maintenance on the exterior walls.
.And roofs, we dont have to worry about snow, so we have lots of flat roofs.
And while property prices here might be higher, there are lots of areas we save tons, heating and air conditiong, many years I dont use either one.
No salt on the roads.
...And natural disasters, here in Imperial Beach they basically dont exist.
....Im just lucky cuz I dont have any family back east or north that I miss, and I was born here. But if a person has ;good family and/or a good job, its enough reason to stay here.
But I will tell you one more thing, as people get older, the harsh winters become more and more of a burden, and theres nothing like celebrating Christmas poolside with one hand on a margarita, and one eye on the hot bikinis walking by all day. :)

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
the new lightbulbs that look like coils of rope. Apparently LUV is against saving energy.

still trolling eh?

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
What is a ccFl?

I may have put one too many "c's"
in there. I have heard them called CFL's and CCFL's, they are fluorescent bulbs that have an inverter built in, which often explode and catch fire. These have a base which screws into the standard light fixture that the "old" edison style, which is your usual standard light bult, incandescent.
....Its not that Im opposed to them per se, but I oppose govt intrusion, let the people choose. But we have been so dumbed down, everyone is doing it without questioning it.
....If it saves energy, then people will use it without mommy and daddy tellling us we have tol.
I know most of you here are like me, when someone tells you, that you HAVE to do something, then you dont want to do it even more.

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 12:50 PM

yea, if you do it right, you can do that safely.
But especially being in such a tender box, and with her kids apparently not sleeping so close by, I would have made triple sure it was out, and that the kids had a fire escape route.
...and I literally would have set it up so if a fire started, it would get to my room before the kids.
I kinda hate to say it, but that lady was stupid.

logroller
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM

Not so coincidentally, you've never burned your house down either.

Abbey Marie
12-28-2011, 03:08 PM

I am guilty of hating on them. I have always been very picky about the warmth of the lighting in my home. We have lamps everywhere you can put one, including the kitchen counter and the master bathroom.

The light these give out is so cold. And I have tried the new "warmer" versions, and found them lacking as well. I have been hoarding the incandescent bulbs for a few months. I know that eventually I will have to give it up, but I will hold on as long as my wallet allows.

ConHog
12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I am guilty of hating on them. I have always been very picky about the warmth of the lighting in my home. We have lamps everywhere you can put one, including the kitchen counter and the master bathroom.

The light these give out is so cold. And I have tried the new "warmer" versions, and found them lacking as well. I have been hoarding the incandescent bulbs for a few months. I know that eventually I will have to give it up, but I will hold on as long as my wallet allows.

Sure, and I don't blame you, but that's a far cry from starting a thread and blaming a fireplace fire on light bulbs LOL

Abbey Marie
12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Sure, and I don't blame you, but that's a far cry from starting a thread and blaming a fireplace fire on light bulbs LOL

Tangential topic, but do you find it kind of unpleasant that the mom was having her contractor sleep over, with her kids and parents in the house? It mentioned that he ran out of the house in his boxers. Circumstantial evidence of an affair, but since it was Christmas especially, I would bet they were lovers. And the news mentioned that "her husband" (not "estranged husband") was being driven by the police from NY to Connecticut, so she was still married.

I couldn't help but wonder if they were sleeping far away from the kids so they could have at it.

ConHog
12-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Tangential topic, but do you find it kind of unpleasant that the mom was having her contractor sleep over, with her kids and parents in the house? It mentioned that he ran out of the house in his boxers. Circumstantial evidence of an affair, but since it was Christmas especially, I would bet they were lovers. And the news mentioned that "her husband" (not "estranged husband") was being driven by the police from NY to Connecticut, so she was still married.

I couldn't help but wonder if they were sleeping far away from the kids so they could have at it.

Yes, I think that they were doing the dirty deed. And I find cheating to be one the most disgusting things one person can do to another.

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 09:19 PM

which I didnt do.
You are still a big LIAR

ConHog
12-28-2011, 09:23 PM
which I didnt do.
You are still a big LIAR

Ccfl's are smoking and starting fires.

What does that mean if not light bulbs cause fires?

LuvRPgrl
12-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Ccfl's are smoking and starting fires.

What does that mean if not light bulbs cause fires?

Ummm, I dunno, maybe it means light bulbs are causing fires.????
You tell me

ConHog
12-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Ummm, I dunno, maybe it means light bulbs are causing fires.????
You tell me\

nm

Gunny
12-29-2011, 10:53 AM

The biggest problem with the latest house fire is not only did it violate the government preventive/warning measures/laws, the people were obviously too stupid to be allowed to play with fire. They had no smoke detectors -- required by GA law. They were renovating without a permit which may or may not have brought an inspector out. Even had an inspector not come out and told them the obvious: they were living in a matchbox looking for a fire to happen -- they should have been smart enough to know it.

You want to get rid of the government and have personal responsibility but the irresponsibility of this family is the EXACT reason we have government regulations.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 11:31 AM
The biggest problem with the latest house fire is not only did it violate the government preventive/warning measures/laws, the people were obviously too stupid to be allowed to play with fire. They had no smoke detectors -- required by GA law. They were renovating without a permit which may or may not have brought an inspector out. Even had an inspector not come out and told them the obvious: they were living in a matchbox looking for a fire to happen -- they should have been smart enough to know it.

You want to get rid of the government and have personal responsibility but the irresponsibility of this family is the EXACT reason we have government regulations.

But MANY people believe that our freedoms include the freedom to behave irresponsibly. Even if that leads to not only the destruction of our own property, and our own death, but the death of our children, and or others as well as the destruction of the property of others.

If it was just her stupidity led to her OWN death, and no other damage who would care what she did? But that isn't the case.

Gunny
12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
But MANY people believe that our freedoms include the freedom to behave irresponsibly. Even if that leads to not only the destruction of our own property, and our own death, but the death of our children, and or others as well as the destruction of the property of others.

If it was just her stupidity led to her OWN death, and no other damage who would care what she did? But that isn't the case.

It IS the case. the still hot ashes from a fire were dumped outside close to a house that was a tinderbox waiting to happen. They had no smoke alarms which are required by GA law.

So explain to me HOW this is the government's fault?

ConHog
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
It IS the case. the still hot ashes from a fire were dumped outside close to a house that was a tinderbox waiting to happen. They had no smoke alarms which are required by GA law.

So explain to me HOW this is the government's fault?

It's not, I was agreeing with you. We have to have laws because of idiots like this woman, who won't use their own common sense. So the people who gripe about such laws should be griping about the idiots instead.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out this fire was a light bulb's fault.

Gunny
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
It's not, I was agreeing with you. We have to have laws because of idiots like this woman, who won't use their own common sense. So the people who gripe about such laws should be griping about the idiots instead.

Hell, I'm still trying to figure out this fire was a light bulb's fault.

I misunderstood your post.

As a commercial electrician, and just some pure common sense, I disagree and idiot has the right to move his/her family into a fire hazard and burn them up. If an individual wants to do it him/herself, fine with me. THAT is individual (ir)responsibility. When you start taking people with you, then I see a perfectly good reason for the laws when they are designed to protect the lives at the mercy of idiots.

I've seen more than one place burned out by some amateur electrician's homespun electrical "skills". One idiot burned down half an apartment building displaying his "skills".

Not sure about anywhere else, but I know in Cleveland, you cannot burn wood in the fireplaces of those brownstone rowhouses. All it'd take is some hot embers hotting the roof of another house and you'd take out half the city. The law makes perfectly good sense.

There are reasons for fire and electrical codes that supercede individual rights.

ConHog
12-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I misunderstood your post.

As a commercial electrician, and just some pure common sense, I disagree and idiot has the right to move his/her family into a fire hazard and burn them up. If an individual wants to do it him/herself, fine with me. THAT is individual (ir)responsibility. When you start taking people with you, then I see a perfectly good reason for the laws when they are designed to protect the lives at the mercy of idiots.

I've seen more than one place burned out by some amateur electrician's homespun electrical "skills". One idiot burned down half an apartment building displaying his "skills".

Not sure about anywhere else, but I know in Cleveland, you cannot burn wood in the fireplaces of those brownstone rowhouses. All it'd take is some hot embers hotting the roof of another house and you'd take out half the city. The law makes perfectly good sense.

There are reasons for fire and electrical codes that supercede individual rights.

I built my house here in Arkansas several years back and didn't have a single government inspector or permit involved. I did hire a master electrician to run the wiring into the house and to make sure my contractor did the job up to code, but I was actually amazed that my insurance company was more concerned with how I built my house then the state of Arkansas was.

logroller
12-30-2011, 03:13 AM
I built my house here in Arkansas several years back and didn't have a single government inspector or permit involved. I did hire a master electrician to run the wiring into the house and to make sure my contractor did the job up to code, but I was actually amazed that my insurance company was more concerned with how I built my house then the state of Arkansas was.

That's because its Arkansas; so long as you didn't move it down a public highway, you're in the clear. :laugh2:

Gunny
12-30-2011, 09:16 AM

I can see why. I'd venture to guess the insurance lobbies have plenty of say in the Federal Codes. Then the states and cities add their own codes and fees. I have no idea how Arkansas regulates their trades. In TX, you're licensed by the state. But the inspectors work for the cities/counties. The bigger the city, the more stringent they are on getting their fees. If you get out in the county in TX, it's not as stringent.

ConHog
12-30-2011, 10:15 AM
That's because its Arkansas; so long as you didn't move it down a public highway, you're in the clear. :laugh2:

Actually, seeing a farm tractor pulling a mobile home down the highway isn't that uncommon of a site here. :laugh2:

Hey, if you can't laugh at your own stereotypes, what fun is life?