PDA

View Full Version : Pediatric/Adolescent BMI Screening

Jess
12-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Two of the gelflings had well child exams the other day. Both had over the "acceptable" BMI percentiles - one 89%, the other was 94%. Oddly enough, both children are very active physically and neither is obese by any stretch, yet our pediatrician gave me test requisition forms for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), Thyroxine (T4) free, Lipid panel and a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP).

This testing is supposed to be done within 30 days of their exams. However, given the fact that both are healthy, hearty lads, we have decided not to have the testing done.

I decided to look up this issue online and found that BMI is now a required part of the school examination form. Some schools have mandated that you must report it, some have no state policy. Yet. http://nasbe.org/healthy_schools/hs/bytopics.php?topicid=4100&catExpand=acdnbtm_catD

Gunny
12-31-2011, 03:44 PM
This is as BS as the thread I posted about the DoE collecting personal info on all school children. I was unaware it included BMI. I guess my comment about wanting DNA samples next WASN'T so far off. It probably IS next.

ConHog
12-31-2011, 04:07 PM
This is as BS as the thread I posted about the DoE collecting personal info on all school children. I was unaware it included BMI. I guess my comment about wanting DNA samples next WASN'T so far off. It probably IS next.

A clarification if you please. At least in Arkansas, the report is only sent to the parents and kept on file at the local school. No one collects it, and the school takes no action if a parent doesn't do anything with the information.

As for WHY it is collected. I think you can blame shit like this squarely on parents who believe it is the school systems' jobs to raise their children for them.

Gunny
12-31-2011, 05:08 PM
A clarification if you please. At least in Arkansas, the report is only sent to the parents and kept on file at the local school. No one collects it, and the school takes no action if a parent doesn't do anything with the information.

As for WHY it is collected. I think you can blame shit like this squarely on parents who believe it is the school systems' jobs to raise their children for them.

If you follow Jess's link, it specifically addresses all states. She mentioned Arkansas collects it. That info is sent to the DoE so they can allegedly assess the quality of life or some such for children.

As far as your second, I agree.

ConHog
12-31-2011, 05:39 PM
If you follow Jess's link, it specifically addresses all states. She mentioned Arkansas collects it. That info is sent to the DoE so they can allegedly assess the quality of life or some such for children.

As far as your second, I agree.

Ok, let me clarify. As far as I know, we don't forward child specific information of this sort onto anyone. I know our school nurse handles all these types of forms and I've never heard anything about any reports that we're telling Little Rock that Gunny Jr specifically is over weight, just as an example even though we may be sending reports that A child in X grade is overweight.