PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2011

Shadow
01-01-2012, 09:42 AM
We've all heard about crazy lawsuits and 2011 was no exception when it came to the filing of frivolous – even ridiculous – lawsuits.

The top ten Most Ridiculous Lawsuits of 2011 are:

•Convict sues couple he kidnapped for not helping him evade police
•Man illegally brings gun into bar, gets injured in a fight, then sues bar for not searching him for a weapon
•Young adults sue mother for sending cards without gifts and playing favorites
•Woman disagrees with store over 80-cent refund, sues for $5 million
•Mom files suit against exclusive preschool over child's college prospects
•Man suing for age discrimination says judge in his case is too old
•Obese man sues burger joint over tight squeeze in booths
•Woman sues over movie trailer; says not enough driving in "Drive"
•Passenger's lawsuit says cruise ship went too fast and swayed from side to side
•Mother sues Chuck E. Cheese – says games encourage gambling in children
Links to the full news stories from which these were drawn and the complete results of the poll can be found on the Faces of Lawsuit Abuse web site (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=13mid6hmh/EXP=1326638148/**http%3A//cms.businessnewsdaily.com/cms/articles/1848/athttp%3A/facesoflawsuitabuse.org/polls-archive).

http://news.yahoo.com/10-most-ridiculous-lawsuits-2011-175104066.html

jimnyc
01-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I should be able to sue every one of those plaintiffs for stupidity, and collectively lowering the IQ of those of us who took the time to read the snippets of their stupidity.

Gunny
01-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Question is ... how many of them do you think will win?:laugh:

Noir
01-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Do they have to pay for the suing?

I would assume not, given anyone would know they'll lose. If they do and they're paying for it, fine, its their money to waste. If the taxpayer is paying for it however then something in the system needs to change.

Shadow
01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Question is ... how many of them do you think will win?:laugh:

Well...at least one...which will then encourage all the stupid people to present their own frivolous lawsuits for next years list. :)

ConHog
01-01-2012, 12:34 PM

I would assume not, given anyone would know they'll lose. If they do and they're paying for it, fine, its their money to waste. If the taxpayer is paying for it however then something in the system needs to change.

Not sure what you are asking.

yes, there is as fee for filing lawsuits. It varies by state. Off the top of my head I think it's $50 in Arkansas.

Do they have to pay for the judge's time and the use of the courtroom , etc etc? No. But chances are MOST of these lawsuits will be tossed on summary judgement so you're talking very little time (Not to say they aren't a waste of even that little amount of time)

And then those that ARE tossed in summary, the judge has the option of penalizing the plaintiff for bringing a frivolous lawsuit by making them pay the defendant's legal costs. But that is RARELY done when an individual sues a corporation. Too rarely if you ask me. Can you imagine if in the above case the judge said "okay asshole, this case is just stupid, you can pay Chuck E Cheese's legal feed, that will be umm let's see "$48,500 and can NOT be eliminated by bankruptcy?"

By God, that would cut down on quite a few of these bullshit cases.

fj1200
01-03-2012, 02:15 AM

We could use a loser-pays rule on this side of the pond.

ConHog
01-03-2012, 08:27 PM
We could use a loser-pays rule on this side of the pond.

The judge in a case can of course order that.

fj1200
01-04-2012, 10:03 AM
The judge in a case can of course order that.

It needs to be codified.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
It needs to be codified.

I concur , with the stipulation that it should only be for frivolous cases. If you have a legitimate case and just lose on the facts, I don't think you should have to pay for the defense. If you sue cuz McDonalds ran out of Chicken McNuggets. You should have to pay.

Trigg
01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
my sons English final was on Tort Reform, most of the kids in his class has no idea was that was, Sad just Sad.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 03:23 PM
my sons English final was on Tort Reform, most of the kids in his class has no idea was that was, Sad just Sad.

That's when a hooker wants to get off the streets, right?

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 03:26 PM
That's when a hooker wants to get off the streets, right?

Nah thats "TART" reform!!!! LOL...:laugh: