PDA

View Full Version : I've been looking for a way to transfer to an out fo state college

chloe
01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Without having to pay out of state tuition.

Some states require 1 year of residency, other states only 6 months of residency.

Then some will say if you move there for a Job not for college then they will give immediate residency.

(in other words I transferred to Kentucky for my big opportunity to work at McDonalds:laugh2:....not because I want to attend UKU) WINK

Here is another way, a National Exchange Student, trading places with a student who wants to attend the University you attend. :cool:

http://www.nse.org/

SassyLady
01-02-2012, 02:21 PM
maybe you can try renouncing your citizenship and be a non-citizen .... do they have to pay out of state tuition?

chloe
01-02-2012, 02:22 PM
maybe you can try renouncing your citizenship and be a non-citizen .... do they have to pay out of state tuition?

Oh I have made threads here at the board about defecting and sneaking back in illegally....that way I can get everything free off americans backs:laugh2:

SassyLady
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh I have made threads here at the board about defecting and sneaking back in illegally....that way I can get everything free off americans backs:laugh2:

well, as long as we have laws that benefit illegals at our expense, whether they are moral laws or not, there are people that think it's ok to take advantage of them and even encourage it.

ConHog
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
well, as long as we have laws that benefit illegals at our expense, whether they are moral laws or not, there are people that think it's ok to take advantage of them and even encourage it.

Really, you have to bring crap from another thread into this thread? And that isn't even what was said anyway.

To the OP, why is an out state school more attractive to you then an instate school anyway?

chloe
01-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Really, you have to bring crap from another thread into this thread? And that isn't even what was said anyway.

To the OP, why is an out state school more attractive to you then an instate school anyway?

I want to move that's why but I want to continue in school.

ConHog
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Easily solved.

Move and take online courses at the school you're currently enrolled in for the first semester and by the second semester your residency requirements will have been met (more than likely)

chloe
01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Easily solved.

Move and take online courses at the school you're currently enrolled in for the first semester and by the second semester your residency requirements will have been met (more than likely)

If you are attending the utah state university you have to be a resident for in state tuition.

While they do offer online clases, it still must be established you are a resident.

If you take online classes with the university of phoenix you don't need residency and can live anywhere.

They don't offer the degree or classes I want.

However the national exchange thing may work and I am looking into it as an option.

Thanks for your input conhog.:salute:

SassyLady
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM

what?

chloe
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
what?

He didn't appreciate your sense of humor, that happens to me a lot online, dont worry about it sister.;)

Abbey Marie
01-02-2012, 03:22 PM

That's not really Sassy's style. She is known for being a no-BS, adorably direct poster. :cool:

SassyLady
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
That's not really Sassy's style. She is known for being a no-BS, adorably direct poster. :cool:

Yeah, I think he has me confused with someone else.

Thanks for the support!

ConHog
01-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Oh please don't misunderstand. I like sassy, and have no problems with her at all. Maybe I am wrong, it just seemed like she was talking about the Just Another Example thread..............

If not, I have ZERO problems apologizing.

DragonStryk72
01-02-2012, 05:35 PM

William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA. They give you a break on the out of state if you work for the colonial area, last I check, and once you do have residency, you get a huge break in the tuition in general, plus it being a highly respected school on top of that. Freshman get a laptop with all the programs you'll need as well

gabosaurus
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
My sister had a former resident of Columbia live with her for a few years. She was accepted to the school of architecture at SMU in Dallas, but couldn't afford out of state tuition. She had to live with my brother in law for her last year of high school and graduate there to be eligible.

International students pay a ton more than even out of state students. Many get grants from their country. The U.S. does not give tuition breaks to foreign residents. Even Mexican illegals.

Check with the school you wish to transfer to and get their rules for transfers and tuition.

fj1200
01-03-2012, 02:08 AM
Without having to pay out of state tuition.

Some schools have an in-state tuition waiver. It worked for my wife.

SassyLady
01-03-2012, 02:22 AM
My sister had a former resident of Columbia live with her for a few years. She was accepted to the school of architecture at SMU in Dallas, but couldn't afford out of state tuition. She had to live with my brother in law for her last year of high school and graduate there to be eligible.

International students pay a ton more than even out of state students. Many get grants from their country. The U.S. does not give tuition breaks to foreign residents. Even Mexican illegals.

Check with the school you wish to transfer to and get their rules for transfers and tuition.

Am I misunderstanding this Gabby???

U.S. high court OKs in-state tuition for illegals

U.S. SUPREME COURT

June 07, 2011|Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

(06-06) 16:53 PDT WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Supreme Court rejected a challenge Monday to a California law granting college tuition discounts to high school graduates in the state, regardless of immigration status - a law that saves illegal immigrants, among others, nearly $23,000 a year at UC campuses.http://articles.sfgate.com/images/pixel.gif
The 2002 law, intended to encourage youths to attend college, enables illegal immigrants and out-of-state residents to pay the same lower fees as California residents if they attended high school for three years in the state and graduated.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-06-07/bay-area/29628194_1_illegal-immigrants-immigration-status-federal-immigration-law

Nukeman
01-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Usualy the only schools that have "in state" tuition and requirements are "state" schools. You can look at private schools they will give breaks to out of state individuals just to draw them in. Do that for a semester or two than transfer to a state school if thats what you want.

Private colleges seem expensive on the surface but once you start to receicve the grants and scholarships they are right in line with state and sometimes cheaper.. Where are you looking to move to?

chloe
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies I will look into all the helpful tips, I appreciate it. ;)

gabosaurus
01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Usualy the only schools that have "in state" tuition and requirements are "state" schools. You can look at private schools they will give breaks to out of state individuals just to draw them in. Do that for a semester or two than transfer to a state school if thats what you want.

Private colleges seem expensive on the surface but once you start to receicve the grants and scholarships they are right in line with state and sometimes cheaper.. Where are you looking to move to?

Sassy, anyone who attends a California high school for at least a year and graduates is considered in state, no matter if they are illegal or not. As long as they establish residency for school purposes.

SassyLady
01-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Sassy, anyone who attends a California high school for at least a year and graduates is considered in state, no matter if they are illegal or not. As long as they establish residency for school purposes.

so we are, in essence, giving college tuition breaks to illegals

fj1200
01-04-2012, 10:05 AM
so we are, in essence, giving college tuition breaks to illegals

If you discount the contributions that they make to the tax base of the state, sales tax, property tax, etc.

Abbey Marie
01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
If you discount the contributions that they make to the tax base of the state, sales tax, property tax, etc.

Assuming they are even working, and not living 10 to a household paying one rent between them all... Educating several kids off the taxes of one low-income payer does not even come close to paying for their college education, plus all the other bennys I understand are afforded in CA.

Now if we are talking two working parents, and one- two kids, perhaps a different story.
Which raises the question, if you believe that, everyone everywhere should get free tuition, I guess.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 12:35 PM

How do you establish residency in place you in illegally?

I have a 300 acre farm. There are quite frankly times when I go months without seeing some parts of it. Residency requirements in Arkansas are 6 months. Are you suggesting that if someone were to pitch a tent on my property and live their for 6 months that my address is now their legal residence. Simply because I didn't catch them and throw them off my property?

fj1200
01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Assuming they are even working, and not living 10 to a household paying one rent between them all... Educating several kids off the taxes of one low-income payer does not even come close to paying for their college education, plus all the other bennys I understand are afforded in CA.

Now if we are talking two working parents, and one- two kids, perhaps a different story.
Which raises the question, if you believe that, everyone everywhere should get free tuition, I guess.

We're not talking about free tuition, it's the residency requirement which provides a lower tuition rate in college so no, I don't believe that. But you could make your above argument for any resident, legal or not. Are you also suggesting that 10 in a household do not generate any sales tax revenue?

I don't think I'll defend every rule that CA establishes but they are perfectly in their right to establish those rules.

How do you establish residency in place you in illegally?

I have a 300 acre farm. There are quite frankly times when I go months without seeing some parts of it. Residency requirements in Arkansas are 6 months. Are you suggesting that if someone were to pitch a tent on my property and live their for 6 months that my address is now their legal residence. Simply because I didn't catch them and throw them off my property?

That would be squatting, so no. CA, as do all states, sets their rules for residency.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
We're not talking about free tuition, it's the residency requirement which provides a lower tuition rate in college so no, I don't believe that. But you could make your above argument for any resident, legal or not. Are you also suggesting that 10 in a household do not generate any sales tax revenue?

I don't think I'll defend every rule that CA establishes but they are perfectly in their right to establish those rules.

That would be squatting, so no. CA, as do all states, sets their rules for residency.

Oh really? Because I do believe that the COTUS gives the power of immigration control to the federal government. You do believe in the COTUS don't you?

fj1200
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh really? Because I do believe that the COTUS gives the power of immigration control to the federal government. You do believe in the COTUS don't you?

Non sequitur.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Non sequitur.

Really? Then HOW (and notice I got then right that time LOL) can a person establish residency in a place that the rightful authority has declared that they are in illegally?

fj1200
01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Really? Then HOW (and notice I got then right that time LOL) can a person establish residency in a place that the rightful authority has declared that they are in illegally?

:laugh: then.

We're talking about CA and their rules regarding in-state tuition, I think they can set those rules and the SCOTUS has already ruled, iirc, that illegal residents are entitled to public school education for example. Unfortunately those issues have been separated and the Feds have done an abysmal job on the border front. If my understandings are incorrect I'm happy to be wrong.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 06:10 PM
:laugh: then.

We're talking about CA and their rules regarding in-state tuition, I think they can set those rules and the SCOTUS has already ruled, iirc, that illegal residents are entitled to public school education for example. Unfortunately those issues have been separated and the Feds have done an abysmal job on the border front. If my understandings are incorrect I'm happy to be wrong.

I believe you are right and Plyler v Doe is the latest ruling (1982.) and the Court DID rule that states couldn't deny a public education to illegal alien children.

I believe a federal law could and should overcome that ruling.