PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain what C-4 is?

gabosaurus
01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
One of my friends in Texas sent me this link. Apparently a military officer tried to board a plane with C-4 in his baggage. I would like one of you military people to explain what C-4 is and how powerful it is. Thanks.

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_1bc57266-363c-11e1-9403-001871e3ce6c.html

darin
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
why don't you google it? Wikipedia would help.

jimnyc
01-03-2012, 02:09 PM
VERY powerful and sure as shit shouldn't be going on a plane, when enough of it can take down a building or an entire NYC street. A little bit would only be necessary to destroy an airplane. But I'll await more informed military to explain better.

Just wanted to add - the TSA caught this and perhaps prevented a disaster. I can't see someone "accidentally" packing C4 in their baggage.

Abbey Marie
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
Yay TSA! (okay, fire away, Rev ;) )

fj1200
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
404 errorSorry, the page you requested could not be found. Try searching the site:

Read more: Mywesttexas.com: Top Stories (http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_1bc57266-363c-11e1-9403-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1iQLZHml9) http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_1bc57266-363c-11e1-9403-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1iQLZHml9
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)

http://www.mywesttexas.com/top_stories/article_1bc57266-363c-11e1-9403-001871e3ce6c.html

You've made someone mad, I hope your not planning on flying anywhere soon.

gabosaurus
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
why don't you google it? Wikipedia would help.

I did google it, but the explanation was fairly technical. I wanted someone to explain it in a way a civilian would understand.
Thanks Jim, I appreciate your help.

Gunny
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
One of my friends in Texas sent me this link. Apparently a military officer tried to board a plane with C-4 in his baggage. I would like one of you military people to explain what C-4 is and how powerful it is. Thanks.

It's an explosive that looks like modeling clay. A piece the size of your finger will blow you and your car up. It's basically dynamite on steroids. Unlike other explosives, it's pretty stable. Meaning, it won't explode as quickly due to weather, elements, environment, whatever.

It's also unlawful for civilians to possess C-4. It's a military explosive. It is used mostly for demolition. It is not an anti-personnel weapon.

gabosaurus
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
It's an explosive that looks like modeling clay. A piece the size of your finger will blow you and your car up. It's basically dynamite on steroids. Unlike other explosives, it's pretty stable. Meaning, it won't explode as quickly due to weather, elements, environment, whatever.

It's also unlawful for civilians to possess C-4. It's a military explosive. It is used mostly for demolition. It is not an anti-personnel weapon.

Holy freaking bananas! How could anyone be carrying this around and not know it? :eek: This is a pretty scary thing.
Thanks for the explanation.

CSM
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Very powerful stuff. I don't know how anyone could NOT know they had it in their luggage either.

Gunny
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Very powerful stuff. I don't know how anyone could NOT know they had it in their luggage either.

Oh ... whoops .... I have NO idea where I got 8 oz of C-4, nor that fuze, your Honor. :laugh:

I agree. That stuff doesn't just fall into your luggage by accident. You have to know someone who deals in explosives,l and has access to military explosives to even get near it.

ConHog
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh ... whoops .... I have NO idea where I got 8 oz of C-4, nor that fuze, your Honor. :laugh:

I agree. That stuff doesn't just fall into your luggage by accident. You have to know someone who deals in explosives,l and has access to military explosives to even get near it.

No shit, and if that dude IS that forgetful, what is he doing with authorization to get his hands on the stuff to begin with?

It's incredible how stable that stuff is isn't it? Watched two ordinance experts play catch with it for about 5 minutes at a demonstration one time.

Gunny
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
No shit, and if that dude IS that forgetful, what is he doing with authorization to get his hands on the stuff to begin with?

Even if he has access, it's strictly controlled. There shouldn't be any "extra" lying about that could "accidentally" fall into his luggage.

ConHog
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Even if he has access, it's strictly controlled. There shouldn't be any "extra" lying about that could "accidentally" fall into his luggage.

That's always the way it was that I know of, hell even .223 rounds you better be able to account for every single one. Checked out 200 , fired off 150? You better be giving us 50 back.

darin
01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
it's very safe w/o a means of detonation.

ConHog
01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
THIS is a C4

How, and why, he fit one in his luggage is beyond me.

:dance:

Gaffer
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
C-4 looks like playdoe. It's highly explosive but needs a blasting cap to set it off. I used it many many times blowing up tunnels. I always carried about four sticks with me. It burns super hot. I used a pinch at a time to heat C-rations. Fire will ignite it but but won't cause an explosion.

ConHog
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
C-4 looks like playdoe. It's highly explosive but needs a blasting cap to set it off. I used it many many times blowing up tunnels. I always carried about four sticks with me. It burns super hot. I used a pinch at a time to heat C-rations. Fire will ignite it but but won't cause an explosion.

C Rations? Holy shit.................

darin
01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
THIS is a C4

How, and why, he fit one in his luggage is beyond me.

:dance:

The fact you knew that makes me have a little man-crush :)

ConHog
01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
The fact you knew that makes me have a little man-crush :)

The C4 barely qualifies as a Vette in my book. One step below the C5 as if that is possible. Make mine an original C1 . Red with white coves , white top, white interior, spinner hubcaps and a fuelie 327.

darin
01-04-2012, 05:43 AM
The C4 barely qualifies as a Vette in my book. One step below the C5 as if that is possible. Make mine an original C1 . Red with white coves , white top, white interior, spinner hubcaps and a fuelie 327.

C5 is probably the best gen of vette ever. That car brought honest performance to the name which was sorely lacking before. Worst thing was HVAC/Radio controls out of PlaySkool, and shitty seats. C6? Car of the gods - the gods who like MONSTER performance but still shitty seats. :)

Worst thing about the C5 nowadays, 350hp (non ZO6, etc) isn't adequate anymore. Sedans - "grocery getters" have that kinda power now. I have one. :D

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
C Rations? Holy shit.................

You didn't hace C-Rats? Better than MRE's , that's for sure.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

I totally agree. To me, the MREs always reminded me of dog food and I just did not care for them. C-Rats were dog food too but the kind I like! Besides, we had all kinds of uses for the cans the rats came in.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I totally agree. To me, the MREs always reminded me of dog food and I just did not care for them. C-Rats were dog food too but the kind I like! Besides, we had all kinds of uses for the cans the rats came in.

I had to take protein powder in ziplock storage bags into the field to keep from starving on MREs. The BIG advantage to C-Rats was if you didn't have time to cook, you could slam them cold. You HAVE TO prepare MRE's. That dehydrated pork patty isn't going to work like popping the top on a can of beans and franks cold.

darin
01-04-2012, 09:07 AM
I had to take protein powder in ziplock storage bags into the field to keep from starving on MREs. The BIG advantage to C-Rats was if you didn't have time to cook, you could slam them cold. You HAVE TO prepare MRE's. That dehydrated pork patty isn't going to work like popping the top on a can of beans and franks cold.

I think you're confusing meals. MRE, by its name is 'ready-to-eat'. No prep required. The only thing I've seen dehydrated is the fruit thing, as a side dish.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:12 AM

No, I'm only kind of old, MREs had been around for probably 10 years at least before I joined.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I think you're confusing meals. MRE, by its name is 'ready-to-eat'. No prep required. The only thing I've seen dehydrated is the fruit thing, as a side dish.

Hah! You probably weren't around for Round One. There most certainly was a dehydrated pork patty. Usually could get a trade for something else with a little cash or a dessert thrown in.

I'm not confused at all. I clearly recall almost starving to death out in the Delta Corridor at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms the first time those nasty litle brown bags got dumped on us.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Not sure what you're thinking of, but MREs can be eaten right out of the box. They aren't dehydrated. Now true many of them are better heated up. But even something like the spaghetti and meatballs (which contains no actual meat that I can tell) can be eaten cold if need be.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:14 AM
My favorite was the chopped ham and eggs; pound cake with jelly for dessert. Peanut butter and crackers for snack! Wash it all down with iodine flavored water! YUMMMMMM .... heh heh

Not sure what you're thinking of, but MREs can be eaten right out of the box. They aren't dehydrated. Now true many of them are better heated up. But even something like the spaghetti and meatballs (which contains no actual meat that I can tell) can be eaten cold if need be.

Heck, you can eat ANYTHING cold if you have to! There's nothing like opening a can of ham slices and wiping the lard off and chowing down! LOL!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Guess I'm pickier than you. I would just as soon have a can of Alpo as eat a cold MRE.

My favorite was the chopped ham and eggs; pound cake with jelly for dessert. Peanut butter and crackers for snack! Wash it all down with iodine flavored water! YUMMMMMM .... heh heh

We'd definitely have been trading buddies then. I liked the beans and franks with the orange nut roll, and my chopped ham and eggs were always on the market. Wasn't real keen on the iodine-flavored water though.

darin
01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Ahh - freeze-dried. Yeah, circa 1980? You're THAT old? wow. MRE's also had non-freeze-dried entries, too - even wayyyyyyyyyyyy back then. I turned 8 in dec of 1980...just sayin. :)

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
C5 is probably the best gen of vette ever. That car brought honest performance to the name which was sorely lacking before. Worst thing was HVAC/Radio controls out of PlaySkool, and shitty seats. C6? Car of the gods - the gods who like MONSTER performance but still shitty seats. :)

Worst thing about the C5 nowadays, 350hp (non ZO6, etc) isn't adequate anymore. Sedans - "grocery getters" have that kinda power now. I have one. :D

To me the bean counters killed the Vette in the 70s. Don't get me wrong, the C5 and C6 are incredible performers, and the exterior is quite sexy. But just something so offputting about the interior that I just can't love em the way I should.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:21 AM
We'd definitely have been trading buddies then. I liked the beans and franks with the orange nut roll. Wasn't real keen on the iodine-flavored water though.

Yah the orange nut roll was pretty good (still like pound cake better). We could have worked some deals! C-rats used to have smokes and toilet paper too which was always nice! Could never have enough smokes or toilet paper.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Ahh - freeze-dried. Yeah, circa 1980? You're THAT old? wow. MRE's also had non-freeze-dried entries, too - even wayyyyyyyyyyyy back then. I turned 8 in dec of 1980...just sayin. :)

I was at my first duty station. Y'all can say what you want. I wouldn't eat MREs cold and that whole "meal, ready-to-eat" thing is a misnomer. C-Rats were like having Sphagetti-Os, etc.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:22 AM

8 as in 8 years old??? There sure ae a lot of young folk around here! Makes me feel ancient.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Guess I'm pickier than you. I would just as soon have a can of Alpo as eat a cold MRE.

Not pickier, just older. I have heard stories about how awful the early MREs are. The current ones while not gourmet food, aren't dogfood either. I actually still have some stored away.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I was at my first duty station. Y'all can say what you want. I wouldn't eat MREs cold and that whole "meal, ready-to-eat" thing is a misnomer. C-Rats were like having Sphagetti-Os, etc.

Yep. Of course back then you could cook, shave, and shower in your steel pot. Made a pretty good camp stool and sometimes sufficed as a pillow, though the mask was better for that.

Not pickier, just older. I have heard stories about how awful the early MREs are. The current ones while not gourmet food, aren't dogfood either. I actually still have some stored away.

Truth is if you are hungry enough you will eat ANYTHING.

darin
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
I think MRE's are fine, by the way. MRE's gave me the love of hot-sauce - you guys know there aren't little bottles in them anymore?? A few I brought home from Iraq now have red-pepper flakes instead. :( HORRIBLE. :(

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
See, my memory of MREs is things like Spaghetti and meatballs or peanut butter and jelly sandwich and had M&Ms or something like that for dessert.

Yep. Of course back then you could cook, shave, and shower in your steel pot. Made a pretty good camp stool and sometimes sufficed as a pillow, though the mask was better for that.

UGH, what I remember about the steel pot is Drill Sergent Edwards having us boots lay on the ground with our steel pots under our chests with our arms behind our backs as some sort of "exercise." Not sure what that exercise was supposed to accomplish other than to entertain said drill sergeant.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:32 AM
UGH, what I remember about the steel pot is Drill Sergent Edwards having us boots lay on the ground with our steel pots under our chests with our arms behind our backs as some sort of "exercise." Not sure what that exercise was supposed to accomplish other than to entertain said drill sergeant.

Heh ... builds character as do most exercises in futility!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Yah the orange nut roll was pretty good (still like pound cake better). We could have worked some deals! C-rats used to have smokes and toilet paper too which was always nice! Could never have enough smokes or toilet paper.

Oh yeah. The two-pack of Chesterfields or Lucky's.:laugh:

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Truth is if you are hungry enough you will eat ANYTHING.

I DID shave and "shower" in my steel pot. I couldn't stand that kevlar helmet. Only thing it was good for was to sit on your head. Can't even dig with it.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I DID shave and "shower" in my steel pot. I couldn't stand that kevlar helmet. Only thing it was good for was to sit on your head. Can't even dig with it.

Too true. The lighter weight of Kevlar didn't make up for the loss of utility in my book.

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Heh ... builds character as do most exercises in futility!

Got that right. I also remember filling MANY a sandbag only to march by the same spot the next day and see another platoon emptying those very sandbags . LOL

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Too true. The lighter weight of Kevlar didn't make up for the loss of utility in my book.

You had to use your canteen cup for the utility stuff once they issued us the kevlar helmet. Heh ... and you KNOW a few hard-heads had to burn up their helmets just to see if it was true you couldn't heat it.:laugh:

ConHog
01-04-2012, 09:42 AM

So, didn't the Marines include one of those nifty little folding shovels in your kit? :laugh2: What a trench tool, they may as well have just given us spoons. Lighter and just as effective.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
So, didn't the Marines include one of those nifty little folding shovels in your kit? :laugh2: What a trench tool, they may as well have just given us spoons. Lighter and just as effective.

We had e-tools. The steel pot displaced more earth at one time.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Yeesh! you guys are giving me flashbacks! I remember when the "new" entrenching tool was issued too. Too many danged moving parts. I kept my old wooden handled one for a long time after that just because I like it better. Longer handle = more leverage.

Man we sound like a bunch of old geezers sitting around the cracker barrel at the general store! LOL

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Yeesh! you guys are giving me flashbacks! I remember when the "new" entrenching tool was issued too. Too many danged moving parts. I kept my old wooden handled one for a long time after that just because I like it better. Longer handle = more leverage.

That was another thing the military hosed up. That collapsible e-tool was worthless. In a pinch, those wooden handled e-tools made pretty good weapons. The collapsible one might get you over on a little kid or something.

Man we sound like a bunch of old geezers sitting around the cracker barrel at the general store! LOL

Hmmm .... I'm thinking you and I are the only ones sounding old.:laugh:

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:53 AM
That was another thing the military hosed up. That collapsible e-tool was worthless. In a pinch, those wooden handled e-tools made pretty good weapons. The collapsible one might get you over on a little kid or something.

Oh yeah. If you were really lucky you got one issued with the pick (spike) on the back. Good for skewering snakes of all kinds!

Jess
01-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Hmmm .... I'm thinking you and I are the only ones sounding old.:laugh:

You gentlemen want a warm-up on your coffee? *snaps chewing gum obnoxiously*

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Oh yeah. If you were really lucky you got one issued with the pick (spike) on the back. Good for skewering snakes of all kinds!

Some stuff like that I had because it was my father's. Guess it got lost from supply or something. I used to use the thing to dig with when I was a teenager. Mostly because my dad was too cheap to go buy a real shovel.

darin
01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Remember back in the mid 90s when we had pretty good MREs, LBE's, Ammo pouches, and the little metal clip things that held them to the pistol belt?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2978&d=1325689086

CSM
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
You gentlemen want a warm-up on your coffee? *snaps chewing gum obnoxiously*

and a big slice of apple pie!

Remember back in the mid 90s when we had pretty good MREs, LBE's, Ammo pouches, and the little metal clip things that held them to the pistol belt?

Heh heh ... plastic snap on the pistol belt! I did like that improvement.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 10:03 AM

We'd already gone back to poplin utilities by the mid-90s. Thank God. Those heavy woodland utilities sucked and didn't hold starch for nothing.

Jess
01-04-2012, 10:07 AM
and a big slice of apple pie!

You want whipped cream or ice cream on that, sweetie? ;)

darin
01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
We'd already gone back to poplin utilities by the mid-90s. Thank God. Those heavy woodland utilities sucked and didn't hold starch for nothing.

Funny story - I have no idea what poplin means, nor 'utilities' in terms of uniforms.

:D

:beers:

Gunny
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Funny story - I have no idea what poplin means, nor 'utilities' in terms of uniforms.

:D

:beers:

Camouflaged utilities = fatigues or cammies

Poplin is the material they used to make utilities during the Vietnam era. In the 80s, they went to the heavier woodland utilities; which no one liked that I knew. early-mid 90's the Corps went back to the rip-stop poplin material. It's lighter weight and you can starch the Hell out of it. In the Marines, when in the rear with gear, your utilities will be ironed, at a minimum. Most starched them.

I doubt they do that now. I saw my daughter's uniform and whatever material they make those digital utilities from doesn't look much conducive to starch.

Abbey Marie
01-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Then I need to go find a General Store- I am enjoying this!

Btw, I've mentioned this before in the book review section, but if you haven't, you all should read Matterhorn by Vietnam vet Karl Marlantes. It's a fabulous read. (The mention of the shovel reminded me of all the useless digging they had to do, lol).

Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War is a novel by American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) author (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Author) and decorated Marine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_%28military%29) Karl Marlantes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Marlantes). It was first published by El Leon Literary Arts in 2009 (in small quantity) and re-issued (and slightly edited) as a major publication of Atlantic Monthly Press (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Monthly_Press)[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_%28novel%29#cite_note-0) on March 23, 2010.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_%28novel%29#cite_note-1)

Marlantes is a graduate of Yale University and a Rhodes scholar. He was also a highly decorated Marine who served in Vietnam. He was awarded the Navy Cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Cross), the Bronze Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Star), two Navy Commendation Medals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_Commendation_Medal) for valor, two Purple Hearts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart), and ten Air Medals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Medal). He spent 35 years working on the novel, which was rejected for publication numerous times.

Plot

The book is set in Vietnam in 1969 and draws from the experiences of Marlantes, who commanded a Marine rifle platoon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_platoon). The novel presents an unflinching look at the hardships endured by the Marines who waged the war on behalf of America.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_%28novel%29#cite_note-2) It concerns the exploits of second lieutenant Waino Mellas, a recent college graduate, and his compatriots in Bravo Company, most of whom are teenagers. "Matterhorn" is the code name for a fire-support base located between Laos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laos) and the DMZ. At the beginning of the novel, the Marines build the base, but later they are ordered to abandon it. The latter portions of the novel detail the struggles of Bravo Company to retake the base, which fell into enemy hands after it was abandoned...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_(novel) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_%28novel%29)

darin
01-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Camouflaged utilities = fatigues or cammies

Poplin is the material they used to make utilities during the Vietnam era. In the 80s, they went to the heavier woodland utilities; which no one liked that I knew. early-mid 90's the Corps went back to the rip-stop poplin material. It's lighter weight and you can starch the Hell out of it. In the Marines, when in the rear with gear, your utilities will be ironed, at a minimum. Most starched them.

I doubt they do that now. I saw my daughter's uniform and whatever material they make those digital utilities from doesn't look much conducive to starch.

Since conversion to the ACU, the army forbids starching. :( My BDUs - showin in that pic - took starch VERY well. Hard-starching a uniform is a lost art. I used to starch my BDUs (one or two sets only - for inspections, etc) to the point I'd have to pry the arms apart inside, to put them on. They'd make a 'wokka' sound when I shook them! :) Hell, with the new boots Soldiers (etc) don't even know how to polish boots. I bet the Kiwi company lost 50% or more of its profits. :(

ConHog
01-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Since conversion to the ACU, the army forbids starching. :( My BDUs - showin in that pic - took starch VERY well. Hard-starching a uniform is a lost art. I used to starch my BDUs (one or two sets only - for inspections, etc) to the point I'd have to pry the arms apart inside, to put them on. They'd make a 'wokka' sound when I shook them! :) Hell, with the new boots Soldiers (etc) don't even know how to polish boots. I bet the Kiwi company lost 50% or more of its profits. :(

I REFUSED to starch my BDUs.

Anyone else have that ONE guy in boot who couldn't coordinate the summer top with the summer bottom. And so the whole platoon had to do pushups? How hard was it? Just make sure the threads are going the same direction.

CSM
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Used to make poplin class B uniforms back in the day as well. Didn't starch those but I have starched fatigues so often they started to look like cook whites! Nuttin like the feeling of breaking starch early on a nice spring day!

ConHog
01-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Fuck you assholes for making me all nostalgic and shit. I went and put on my old green BDU's , they sorta fit , and ate an MRE for lunch.:lol:

Jess
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Fuck you assholes for making me all nostalgic and shit. I went and put on my old green BDU's , they sorta fit , and ate an MRE for lunch.:lol:

Uh huh. ;)

CSM
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM

yeah, like it's our fault you're an old softy.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Most Marines I knew back then had field uniforms, and in the rear uniforms. The field uniforms never got starched. Shows up on infra red like a neon sign. The uniform itself says to not starch it. Being a squared-away Marine said something else.

I REFUSED to starch my BDUs.

Anyone else have that ONE guy in boot who couldn't coordinate the summer top with the summer bottom. And so the whole platoon had to do pushups? How hard was it? Just make sure the threads are going the same direction.

Winter and summer utilities?:wtf:

pegwinn
01-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Fair warning. It takes heat and compression to detonate. So, you can light it up to heat c-rats with, but don't stomp to put the fire out.

Ditto. My favorite was Beef and Rocks. I got some green eggs in boot camp and thought that was what they were supposed to look and taste like. Never ate em again and when MRE's developed "omelets", I didn't touch them either.

1stGen MRE's had dehydrated beef and pork patties that were awesome if you put em in a canteen cup and could make ramen noodles. The best thing about MRE's was that every other year a board of actual eaters would convene and work on new menu's and additions. Lil Hot sauce packets were courtesy of all the chow halls losing the big bottles right before going to the field.

Hated Poplins. They ripped too easy for my taste. All that starch weakened them I think. I actually experimented with elmers glue in the woodlands to iron a perma-crease and keep the pockets flat. It worked ok. And the glue washed out.

At my retirement I lamented that they waited for me to leave to introduce cammies that didn't need ironing and boots that you couldn't shine.

Anyone here young enough that you actually never learned how to spit shine boots and shoes?

CSM
01-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Most Marines I knew back then had field uniforms, and in the rear uniforms. The field uniforms never got starched. Shows up on infra red like a neon sign. The uniform itself says to not starch it. Being a squared-away Marine said something else.

Oh yeah same with Army guys. Field stuff vs. REMF stuff.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Fair warning. It takes heat and compression to detonate. So, you can light it up to heat c-rats with, but don't stomp to put the fire out.

Ditto. My favorite was Beef and Rocks. I got some green eggs in boot camp and thought that was what they were supposed to look and taste like. Never ate em again and when MRE's developed "omelets", I didn't touch them either.

1stGen MRE's had dehydrated beef and pork patties that were awesome if you put em in a canteen cup and could make ramen noodles. The best thing about MRE's was that every other year a board of actual eaters would convene and work on new menu's and additions. Lil Hot sauce packets were courtesy of all the chow halls losing the big bottles right before going to the field.

Hated Poplins. They ripped too easy for my taste. All that starch weakened them I think. I actually experimented with elmers glue in the woodlands to iron a perma-crease and keep the pockets flat. It worked ok. And the glue washed out.

At my retirement I lamented that they waited for me to leave to introduce cammies that didn't need ironing and boots that you couldn't shine.

Anyone here young enough that you actually never learned how to spit shine boots and shoes?

I preferred the poplins mainly because they were cooler. Never tried the Elmer's glue though.:laugh:

On the drill field, we DID have our trouser pockets sewn shut.

And no, they waited for "US" to retire to introduce the no-shine/no-iron stuff. I never saw it until my daughter brought it home when she was in the Army.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Winter and summer utilities?:wtf:

Yes, when I first went in (1989) we were issued two sets of BDUs One of lighter material called Summer BDU and one of heavier material called Winter BDU. From a distance they looked the same, but if you looked closely at the summer BDUs you could see the thread pattern whereas you cuoldn't on the winter BDUs. Once they switched to the desert camo, they did away with the two uniforms. OR rather if memory serves that's when they switched.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Yes, when I first went in (1989) we were issued two sets of BDUs One of lighter material called Summer BDU and one of heavier material called Winter BDU. From a distance they looked the same, but if you looked closely at the summer BDUs you could see the thread pattern whereas you cuoldn't on the winter BDUs. Once they switched to the desert camo, they did away with the two uniforms. OR rather if memory serves that's when they switched.

The "winter" were probably the woodland cammies I was speaking of, and the "summer" the rip-stop polins. We just had to have 4 sets of utilities. Up until at least my retirement, desert camouflaged utilities were organizational equipment. They were issued from supply before you deployed, and you turned them back in to supply upon return. I have no idea how they do it now.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
The "winter" were probably the woodland cammies I was speaking of, and the "summer" the rip-stop polins. We just had to have 4 sets of utilities. Up until at least my retirement, desert camouflaged utilities were organizational equipment. They were issued from supply before you deployed, and you turned them back in to supply upon return. I have no idea how they do it now.

oh see I had no idea what yall were talking about poplins lol. Guess same thing, just different names for them. Our DI just always called them summer and winter BDU. I never could understand why they issued them to us in June in NJ anyway.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 11:06 AM
oh see I had no idea what yall were talking about poplins lol. Guess same thing, just different names for them. Our DI just always called them summer and winter BDU. I never could understand why they issued them to us in June in NJ anyway.

When I first joined the Marine Corps, we had summer and winter what you would call your "Class A's". Winter was wool and summer was some polyester something. Mid-80's they went to a poly-wool blend for year-round wear. That was the only summer-winter switch we had while I was in.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 03:01 PM
When I first joined the Marine Corps, we had summer and winter what you would call your "Class A's". Winter was wool and summer was some polyester something. Mid-80's they went to a poly-wool blend for year-round wear. That was the only summer-winter switch we had while I was in.

And this was just prior to setting out for Tripoli correct?:laugh2:

jimnyc
01-05-2012, 03:09 PM
We had a huge Army/Navy store not far from where I grew up. When I was about 20 or so I bout a set of fatigues, with a billion pockets, and some combat boots to go along with my Doc Martens. These were essential when the small company I worked for went to war in the woods, armed to the teeth with our paintball guns, and each of my extra pockets filled with extra canisters. I was flag man as I was the fastest, and the sneakiest. I bought all that camo crap and was basically invisible. I kicked some ass and would lay patiently for the others to drop like flies, then I would pounce on the flag and run like hell, of course shooting anything that even remotely moved, teammates, refs, didn't give a fuck. Put the flag back in our pole and we kicked ass! I have about 5 flags here from the place in Pa we went to, I think it was Jim Thorpe.

That count as my military story? :guns4:

CSM
01-05-2012, 03:19 PM
We had a huge Army/Navy store not far from where I grew up. When I was about 20 or so I bout a set of fatigues, with a billion pockets, and some combat boots to go along with my Doc Martens. These were essential when the small company I worked for went to war in the woods, armed to the teeth with our paintball guns, and each of my extra pockets filled with extra canisters. I was flag man as I was the fastest, and the sneakiest. I bought all that camo crap and was basically invisible. I kicked some ass and would lay patiently for the others to drop like flies, then I would pounce on the flag and run like hell, of course shooting anything that even remotely moved, teammates, refs, didn't give a fuck. Put the flag back in our pole and we kicked ass! I have about 5 flags here from the place in Pa we went to, I think it was Jim Thorpe.

As good or better than some I've heard! Give this guy a medal!

ConHog
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
As good or better than some I've heard! Give this guy a medal!

Looks like someone already gave him a trophy.

jimnyc
01-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Looks like someone already gave him a trophy.

I got some flags, but no trophies. And I also had a few friends that didn't like me for awhile. Once that flag was in my hand I shot everyone, even in the facemask, didn't care, you're all the enemy at that point. Also, when walking between playing fields, there was always a little shit talking going on, and I would sneak up on guys and shoot them in the legs or back. Hurts like a fucker! LOL

ConHog
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I got some flags, but no trophies. And I also had a few friends that didn't like me for awhile. Once that flag was in my hand I shot everyone, even in the facemask, didn't care, you're all the enemy at that point. Also, when walking between playing fields, there was always a little shit talking going on, and I would sneak up on guys and shoot them in the legs or back. Hurts like a fucker! LOL

Oh, you're THAT dick LOL. We had that guy once. A can of tear gas stopped him from ever doing that again. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Love the adrenalin that must have produced!

jimnyc
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Love the adrenalin that must have produced!

And I was a smoker still too! Granted I had only been smoking for a few years, but I vividly remember running, and huffing and puffing the whole run, and collapsing afterwards as it felt like my lungs were on fire and I was on the verge of death. Funny thing is, that just wore me out is all it did. The adrenaline came from when you got shot. A paintball ^%$&^%ing hurts like hell! Had a few guys shoot me from 5-10 yards, and then I unloaded my entire canister on them cause I was pissed off. They did nothing wrong, but the pain and adrenaline made me shoot them. That's my defense and I'm sticking with it.

I also used to get shot when hiding, and I would real quickly wipe off the paint and claim a miss and run like hell before they could get a ref near there. Yep, I was a cheater. But it was war, and I won! :laugh2:

ConHog
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
And I was a smoker still too! Granted I had only been smoking for a few years, but I vividly remember running, and huffing and puffing the whole run, and collapsing afterwards as it felt like my lungs were on fire and I was on the verge of death. Funny thing is, that just wore me out is all it did. The adrenaline came from when you got shot. A paintball ^%$&^%ing hurts like hell! Had a few guys shoot me from 5-10 yards, and then I unloaded my entire canister on them cause I was pissed off. They did nothing wrong, but the pain and adrenaline made me shoot them. That's my defense and I'm sticking with it.

I also used to get shot when hiding, and I would real quickly wipe off the paint and claim a miss and run like hell before they could get a ref near there. Yep, I was a cheater. But it was war, and I won! :laugh2:

The "paint" couldn't be washed off me when I got shot.

Jess
01-05-2012, 04:58 PM
One of my brothers was half owner of a paintball field a few years back. He, another brother and a bunch of guys they grew up with used to go "play" there. They called themselves "The Fluffy Bunnies" when they played against others. My bro said it's one thing if guys get beat by "The Death Dealers" or "Demon Spawn" or something really manly like that ... but to get beat by "The Fluffy Bunnies" is utterly demoralizing. :laugh:

Oh, and a friend told me that when my two brothers were on opposing teams - it was always a good battle. If they were on the SAME team, however - they were practically unbeatable.

Gaffer
01-05-2012, 05:49 PM

Heck, you can eat ANYTHING cold if you have to! There's nothing like opening a can of ham slices and wiping the lard off and chowing down! LOL!

I thought chopped ham and eggs was the nastiest of all the meals. That was one box I always avoided. The pound cake was fantastic. So were the peaches. We use to mix cheddar cheese, peanut butter and grape jelly to make a dip for the crackers. We lived on c-rats for the better part of a year. When I went home I wanted nothing more to do with c-rats ever again. Altho I wouldn't mind sampling some peaches and pound cake once more.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I thought chopped ham and eggs was the nastiest of all the meals. That was one box I always avoided. The pound cake was fantastic. So were the peaches. We use to mix cheddar cheese, peanut butter and grape jelly to make a dip for the crackers. We lived on c-rats for the better part of a year. When I went home I wanted nothing more to do with c-rats ever again. Altho I wouldn't mind sampling some peaches and pound cake once more.

You mixed cheddar cheese, peanut butter and grape jelly? Ewww.

pegwinn
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
....That count as my military story? :guns4:

You a bad mofo gus. :bow3:

You mixed cheddar cheese, peanut butter and grape jelly? Ewww.

Dude.....

dude.....

That mix was the bomb. Gave you gas and the pb was self sealing. Bad juju, terrible Karma, and upside down mojo for real.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Dude.....

dude.....

That mix was the bomb. Gave you gas and the pb was self sealing. Bad juju, terrible Karma, and upside down mojo for real.

I refused to eat military peanut butter or cheese. Talk about a cork .....

ConHog
01-05-2012, 07:50 PM
dude.....

Dude.....

That mix was the bomb. Gave you gas and the pb was self sealing. Bad juju, terrible karma, and upside down mojo for real.

yuck.

Gaffer
01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
There were three types of cheddar cheese. I believe it was type two we used for the dip. It was real good on the c-rat crackers which are as bland a food item as there is. There was also the round candy bar that came with the crackers. It was chocolate but a couple of bites was about all you could take of those.

The only time we ate really well was when we went to Chu Li and were attached to the Marines. Even our cooks couldn't ruin the navy chow. Steaks, pork chops, real milk.

Any of you ever had reconstituted milk?

pegwinn
01-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Any of you ever had reconstituted milk?

You mean powdered milk? If so, yeah. I grew up poor and Mom bought that far more often than milk in a jug.

jimnyc
01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
You know, just reading about the shit you guys had to eat makes me think you guys were tortured, and not in the military! I know it's hard to feed a lot of people, and especially those in movement, and those in remote locations. But sounds like you guys were basically given a mixture of dog and cat food, and a mix of dry crackers and stale bread to eat it on.

My paintball story wasn't so manly, and we also took a break during our "war for burgers and pizza!

Gunny
01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
You mean powdered milk? If so, yeah. I grew up poor and Mom bought that far more often than milk in a jug.

Yuck. One of the few times I actually defied my father. We had that shit in Greece and come Hell or High Water, I wasn't drinking it. Smelled and tasted like a rank fart.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 08:57 PM
You know, just reading about the shit you guys had to eat makes me think you guys were tortured, and not in the military! I know it's hard to feed a lot of people, and especially those in movement, and those in remote locations. But sounds like you guys were basically given a mixture of dog and cat food, and a mix of dry crackers and stale bread to eat it on.

My paintball story wasn't so manly, and we also took a break during our "war for burgers and pizza!

I actually ate fairly well most of the time. Even the MREs weren't so awful cuz we rarely had to eat them.

Army chow halls serve some pretty decent food. I'd take an Army burger and fries over McDonalds or such any day of the week.

Gaffer
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Jim your paint ball games sounds cool. They didn't have those things when I was young. I would probably done the same as you.

Food was big deal for us. It was delivered by chopper in containers when we ate regular meals. They sent one out every three or four days. Along with a case of c-rats person. We stuffed the light stuff in our packs and chopped up the rest and buried the cans cause you had to carry your food for the next three or four days. If we were involved in a fight when the food was to be delivered we would have to wait a day or two. Sometimes they would bring out a water buffalo with drinking water. But that was rare. Mostly it was iodine water. If the water was clear one tablet, if murky, two tablets. If coffee colored three to four tablets. Eating was also mostly on the go. You might get a little time in the morning and again late afternoon. Only in base camp did we get an actual lunch.

Another thing that was torture was the lack of sleep. We average 4 to 6 hours a night broke up into 2 hour intervals. And you sleep on the ground. Wet or dry. We set up an ambush one night about 20 feet from a body. It had been there a few days. Whenever a breeze kicked up you gagged. We added another body that night tho. We never picked them up. We just left them lay and moved on.

Now days the military trains you in everything. When I was in they just said go do that and you did it. First time I was ever on a chopper was about ten days after arriving in country. They had us get on the chopper and we went into a hot LZ in the Iron Triangle for operation Cedar Falls. That was my training on how to do a helicopter assault into a hostile area.

Another use for the steel pot. When you get on the chopper, sit on your helmet. The floor of the chopper will not stop rounds.

I never got to see Saigon. I saw some of the delta region and a small part of Cambodia and the border and a whole lot of the central highlands. Shhhh we weren't suppose to be in Cambodia, but that sniper didn't bother us any more after that.

CSM
01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Jim your paint ball games sounds cool. They didn't have those things when I was young. I would probably done the same as you.

Food was big deal for us. It was delivered by chopper in containers when we ate regular meals. They sent one out every three or four days. Along with a case of c-rats person. We stuffed the light stuff in our packs and chopped up the rest and buried the cans cause you had to carry your food for the next three or four days. If we were involved in a fight when the food was to be delivered we would have to wait a day or two. Sometimes they would bring out a water buffalo with drinking water. But that was rare. Mostly it was iodine water. If the water was clear one tablet, if murky, two tablets. If coffee colored three to four tablets. Eating was also mostly on the go. You might get a little time in the morning and again late afternoon. Only in base camp did we get an actual lunch.

Another thing that was torture was the lack of sleep. We average 4 to 6 hours a night broke up into 2 hour intervals. And you sleep on the ground. Wet or dry. We set up an ambush one night about 20 feet from a body. It had been there a few days. Whenever a breeze kicked up you gagged. We added another body that night tho. We never picked them up. We just left them lay and moved on.

Now days the military trains you in everything. When I was in they just said go do that and you did it. First time I was ever on a chopper was about ten days after arriving in country. They had us get on the chopper and we went into a hot LZ in the Iron Triangle for operation Cedar Falls. That was my training on how to do a helicopter assault into a hostile area.

Another use for the steel pot. When you get on the chopper, sit on your helmet. The floor of the chopper will not stop rounds.

I never got to see Saigon. I saw some of the delta region and a small part of Cambodia and the border and a whole lot of the central highlands. Shhhh we weren't suppose to be in Cambodia, but that sniper didn't bother us any more after that.

Really weird that your experience is so similar to mine (or maybe not). I'm talking the chow here not the ambush.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Really weird that your experience is so similar to mine (or maybe not). I'm talking the chow here not the ambush.

And mine. We got two yummy MRE's a day at best. Water? The bottled water craze went full go after Desert Storm. Water was as good as gold. We never had enough and we had bottled water shipped in from all over the world. IN that regard, we were not prepared for desert warfare. I can remember feeling like ny tongue was just a dry stick in my mouth that rattled against my teeth. Add MOP 2 gear to that in the desert heat, and life was not fun.

Gaffer
01-06-2012, 10:01 AM

I figured you and Gunny could relate to the food issues.

gabosaurus
01-06-2012, 12:21 PM
This thread has been hijacked to the point where it is in need of some C-4. The military kind. :slap:

ConHog
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
This thread has been hijacked to the point where it is in need of some C-4. The military kind. :slap:

Don't be hating on some old (in some cases REALLY old) vets reminiscing.

It's funny we're all bitching about the heat we went through. Buddy of mine spent 3 years in Korea (not during the war, he's not that old) and bitches about how cold it was over there. He said it wasn't the north pole, but the only thing separating them was a fence.

CSM
01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

It's funny we're all bitching about the heat we went through. Buddy of mine spent 3 years in Korea (not during the war, he's not that old) and bitches about how cold it was over there. He said it wasn't the north pole, but the only thing separating them was a fence.

Gaffer is the only REALLY old one; I bet he has me by at least a year!

ConHog
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Gaffer is the only REALLY old one; I bet he has me by at least a year!

I heard a rumor that Gaffer was George Washington's drill instructor. :laugh2:

CSM
01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
I heard a rumor that Gaffer was George Washington's drill instructor. :laugh2:

Gaffer is NOT older than dirt but I have it on good authority that he got to tell em where to put it.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Who are YOU again?

Team Spirit 83. Colder'n a witch's tit in a brass brassiere. And we didn't have all this new-fangled gear to keep our asses warm. We were still using Korean War vintage cold weather gear. Ooh-fucking-rah for Mickey Mouse boots!:laugh:

Here's one .... how many of you have sent an ass-gnat out to set up a claymore only to find yourself reading "Front Toward Enemy"?:laugh:

ConHog
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Team Spirit 83. Colder'n a witch's tit in a brass brassiere. And we didn't have all this new-fangled gear to keep our asses warm. We were still using Korean War vintage cold weather gear. Ooh-fucking-rah for Mickey Mouse boots!:laugh:

Closest I ever got to anything like that was Fort Carson. It was cold of course, but not horribly so.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Closest I ever got to anything like that was Fort Carson. It was cold of course, but not horribly so.

50 below with the wind chill. There was no micro-fiber nor thinsulate. Thirty pounds of heavy cotton plus your gear. Try humping a '60 in THAT.

ConHog
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
50 below with the wind chill. There was no micro-fiber nor thinsulate. Thirty pounds of heavy cotton plus your gear. Try humping a '60 in THAT.

yeah umm runner here remember. I can pick up a 60 but as for humping it around on top of a 75 lb ruck? NO.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
yeah umm runner here remember. I can pick up a 60 but as for humping it around on top of a 75 lb ruck? NO.

Yeah, try being the biggest MFer in the squad. At least I didn't have to hump my own ammo.:laugh:

Gaffer
01-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Here's one .... how many of you have sent an ass-gnat out to set up a claymore only to find yourself reading "Front Toward Enemy"?:laugh:

I set my own claymores and pointed them at the enemy. Sometimes if the enemy saw you placing them he would sneak up and turn them around. A grenade under the claymore put a stop to that.

This thread isn't hijacked, there was nothing more to be said about C-4. She asked about it and we told her. Now we are talking among ourselves.

logroller
01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Here's a pretty good explanation, offers technical specs, the rest is easily understood.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/c-42.htm

ConHog
01-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I set my own claymores and pointed them at the enemy. Sometimes if the enemy saw you placing them he would sneak up and turn them around. A grenade under the claymore put a stop to that.

This thread isn't hijacked, there was nothing more to be said about C-4. She asked about it and we told her. Now we are talking among ourselves.

In boot we had a douche throw his live fire grenade out of the foxhole not quite over the protective wall, it bounced off and right back into the foxhole he was standing in. Fast reflexes by the DI laying outside the foxhole saved his ass.

pegwinn
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Food was big deal for us. It was delivered by chopper in containers when we ate regular meals. They sent one out every three or four days. Along with a case of c-rats person. We stuffed the light stuff in our packs and chopped up the rest and buried the cans cause you had to carry your food for the next three or four days.

Yeppers. Our chow came in helo's and loaded onto mules and later on Hummers. That would be a four wheeled vehicle not the animal. We'd be out and about for a time and eventually make it to base camp / FOB. I remember that field showers rocked. The field mess, aka HOT CHOW and ALL YOU CAN eat, was the bomb. The Chief cook loved us when we came in because we were asking for seconds etc. Everyone else beefed over the T-rats.

Regiment has water buffalos and they got chlorinated. The really shit hot Regiments actually had chillers for the WB's.

Not hijacked. Simply very thorough instruction.

Jess
01-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Sorry - this thread is great. You started it with a question and it ended up these gentlemen sharing their experiences with the rest of us. We'll never be where they've been, never see what they've seen and never go through what they did. You might consider looking at it for the privilege it is. :cool:

gabosaurus
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Sorry - this thread is great. You started it with a question and it ended up these gentlemen sharing their experiences with the rest of us. We'll never be where they've been, never see what they've seen and never go through what they did. You might consider looking at it for the privilege it is. :cool:

Actually, since I prefer to live in the present, I see it more as this:

Glory Days (Bruce Springsteen)

I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you
Make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside sat down had a few drinks but all he kept talking about was

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
Her and her husband Bobby well they split up I guess it's two years gone by now
We just sit around talking about the old times, she says when she feels like crying she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days, glory days

My old man worked 20 years on the line and they let him go
Now everywhere he goes out looking for work they just tell him that he's too old
I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the Metuchen Ford plant assembly line
Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days yeah goin back
Glory days aw he ain't never had
Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of
Well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days

Gunny
01-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar I was walking in, he was walking out

Glory days, glory days

Well there's a girl that lives up the block back in school she could turn all the boy's heads
Sometimes on a Friday I'll stop by and have a few drinks after she put her kids to bed
We just sit around talking about the old times, she says when she feels like crying she starts laughing thinking about

Glory days, glory days

Now everywhere he goes out looking for work they just tell him that he's too old
I was 9 nine years old and he was working at the Metuchen Ford plant assembly line
Now he just sits on a stool down at the Legion hall but I can tell what's on his mind

Glory days, glory days

Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it but I probably will
Well time slips away and leaves you with nothing mister but boring stories of glory days

Why try and ruin your record being wrong ALL the time? Living in the present doesn't require forgetting who you are, what you're made of and where you came from. Take YOU for example. Living in the fag capitol of the world. You don't care what's right or what's wrong. You just vote for the (D) as mindlessly as a 2 years old. Your every loser experience brought you to this point.

Congrats.

Jess
01-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Living in the moment is good but you still need to know what happened before "your" moment.

These men helped give you the freedoms you have. Their stories are real and important. It's very good to learn about what came before us. If that is meaningless to you, well, I feel kinda sorry for you.

ConHog
01-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

Glory days, glory days

And that's our problem why? Sorry you don't get the bond men and women get from sharing military stories but you do have the the option of not reading

Mr. P
01-07-2012, 02:26 PM
I've never even seen an MRE, had plenty of C-rats though and some were pretty damn good, as I recall. Still have and use a P-38 from the day. LOL

Starch? I still have a few pair of OD green fatigues in the duffel that are still stiff as a board, even after yrs of heat in the attic!
I let my daughter put one on just so she knew what "Breaking Starch" was all about.

Gunny
01-07-2012, 02:34 PM
I've never even seen an MRE, had plenty of C-rats though and some were pretty damn good, as I recall. Still have and use a P-38 from the day. LOL

Starch? I still have a few pair of OD green fatigues in the duffel that are still stiff as a board, even after yrs of heat in the attic!
I let my daughter put one on just so she knew what "Breaking Starch" was all about.

Damn ... you ARE a "seasoned citizen".:laugh:

pegwinn
01-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Springsteen. Wow i haven't seen him since about 1980 or so if the half-heimers is in effect.

Mr. P
01-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Damn ... you ARE a "seasoned citizen".:laugh:

Yeah but, NOT as "seasoned" as Gaffer or CSM ! Rock on guys! :2up:

Gunny
01-09-2012, 08:21 PM

Ohh-fucking-rah.

Gunny
01-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeppers. Our chow came in helo's and loaded onto mules and later on Hummers. That would be a four wheeled vehicle not the animal. We'd be out and about for a time and eventually make it to base camp / FOB. I remember that field showers rocked. The field mess, aka HOT CHOW and ALL YOU CAN eat, was the bomb. The Chief cook loved us when we came in because we were asking for seconds etc. Everyone else beefed over the T-rats.

Regiment has water buffalos and they got chlorinated. The really shit hot Regiments actually had chillers for the WB's.

Not hijacked. Simply very thorough instruction.

Was really crappy. And we loved it. Was better than what we got to hump around.

pegwinn
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Was really crappy. And we loved it. Was better than what we got to hump around.

Xcept for chocolate pudding. T-rat chocolate pudding sucked ass. The rest was freakin awesome.

Gunny
01-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Xcept for chocolate pudding. T-rat chocolate pudding sucked ass. The rest was freakin awesome.

That was "chocolate"? Damn. No wonder I thought it was just dirt-flavored goo. I'd eat anything that didn't come in a brown plastic pouch.

CSM
01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
All in all, I ate because I was hungry; it all really is a matter of perspective. Eating C-rats was better than rolling over a log and chowing down on grubs. These days, if you plop some C-rats and a steak down in front of me and told me to choose which to eat it sure as hell wont be the C-rats!

Gunny
01-10-2012, 08:55 AM
All in all, I ate because I was hungry; it all really is a matter of perspective. Eating C-rats was better than rolling over a log and chowing down on grubs. These days, if you plop some C-rats and a steak down in front of me and told me to choose which to eat it sure as hell wont be the C-rats!

I actually like c-rats. ME's? Nope. Starving was better.