PDA

View Full Version : Week two- Cross Fit

CSM
01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Middle of week two of all cross fit all the time. Did I ever mention how much I hate Burpees? Tried upping my water intake this week and drinking Gator Aid after the workout every day. Too early to tell if it is making any difference. Getting colder here (finally) and I miss my nice warm layer of blubber!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Middle of week two of all cross fit all the time. Did I ever mention how much I hate Burpees? Tried upping my water intake this week and drinking Gator Aid after the workout every day. Too early to tell if it is making any difference. Getting colder here (finally) and I miss my nice warm layer of blubber!

Trying to make all the young un's look bad, SgtMaj?

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 08:35 AM

Milk is actually better for you AFTER a work out than gator aid. Try it you may find you feel better!?!?!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Milk is actually better for you AFTER a work out than gator aid. Try it you may find you feel better!?!?!

You must be young.:laugh:

CSM
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Trying to make all the young un's look bad, SgtMaj?

The young uns make themselves look bad. I'm just trying to live long enough to be a burden to my children.

CSM
01-04-2012, 08:45 AM

MILK??? *sheesh* I have not heard that one but hey I'm game to try it.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:52 AM
MILK??? *sheesh* I have not heard that one but hey I'm game to try it.

Ummm ... all due respect to Nukeman, you might want to look that one up first. Milk has a high fat content as is more akin to a whole food than a drink. Slapping back on what you just worked off doesn't make much sense to me.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Ummm ... all due respect to Nukeman, you might want to look that one up first. Milk has a high fat content as is more akin to a whole food than a drink. Slapping back on what you just worked off doesn't make much sense to me.

Good point. I will check it out. Lord knows I don't need more fat!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:14 AM

When I was powerlifting we used milk to bulk up. When slimming down, it was one of the first things to go.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
When I was powerlifting we used milk to bulk up. When slimming down, it was one of the first things to go.

That makes sense. I'm new to this "health" thingy. I'm not trying to bulk up; just trying to get rid of this spare tire I been wearing around my waist since I retired and get back enough strength to throw my walker into the trunk of my car!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
That makes sense. I'm new to this "health" thingy. I'm not trying to bulk up; just trying to get rid of this spare tire I been wearing around my waist since I retired and get back enough strength to throw my walker into the trunk of my car!

:laugh:

Milk is not for slimming down. I'd stick to the water and/or Gatorade. Make sure you are getting the Gatorade that has less sodium. Sodium will bloat you.

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Milk is not for slimming down. I'd stick to the water and/or Gatorade. Make sure you are getting the Gatorade that has less sodium. Sodium will bloat you.

Yep, low sodium = good though I LOVE salt.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Yep, low sodium = good though I LOVE salt.

I do too. However, I don't need it in my drinks. Lord knows I put enough on anything in front of me on a plate.:laugh:

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I do too. However, I don't need it in my drinks. Lord knows I put enough on anything in front of me on a plate.:laugh:

Same here but have been trying to cut back on it lately. Tough to do and is probably the one thing that can lead me astray in a heart beat. There is one other thing like that but I forget what it is.

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Ummm ... all due respect to Nukeman, you might want to look that one up first. Milk has a high fat content as is more akin to a whole food than a drink. Slapping back on what you just worked off doesn't make much sense to me. there are different types of fat and milk did NOT bulk you up it was the "power lifitng" and the EXTRA calories. Milk helps extensively in post workout recovery..

I have lifted and worked out my entire life. I have tried a number of different workouts, I do know a little about the subject. I'm not a trainer but I can set up some pretty good regimes and workouts as well as diets. I just have a hard time following them myself :laugh: Its all about teh number of calories you take in. There is NO WAY you can bulk up without taking in more calories than you burn, if you are at a caloric deficit than you will LOSE weight simple as that....

5 Reasons You Should Drink Milk Post Workout.
Muscle Gains. Research shows (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831752) a mix of slow and fast digesting protein is superior for lean body mass gains. Milk is 80% casein, 20% whey.
Fat Loss. Dairy calcium increases fat loss. The fat in milk keeps you full longer which decreases hunger and thus helps you to lose fat (http://stronglifts.com/fat-loss-101-how-to-lose-fat-fast-with-free-fat-loss-diets/).
Recovery. Milk is a fluid and has electrolytes. Research shows (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17459189) milk is superior to water and sport drinks for rehydration post workout.
Cheap. When you consider the protein (whey/casein/BCAA) and calorie content of milk, it's one of the cheapest foods available.
Easy. Milk requires zero preparation. 1 quarter (1 liter) milk can be a perfect post workout meal depending on your daily caloric needs.

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

Its all about the number of calories, Milk will NOT bulk you up if you adjust your calories to reflet the drinking of it, Gator aid and sports drinks are not everything they are cracked up to be..

AbstractThere has been growing interest in the potential use of bovine milk as an exercise beverage, especially during recovery from resistance training and endurance sports. Based on the limited research, milk appears to be an effective post-resistance exercise beverage that results in favourable acute alterations in protein metabolism. Milk consumption acutely increases muscle protein synthesis, leading to an improved net muscle protein balance. Furthermore, when post-exercise milk consumption is combined with resistance training (12 weeks minimum), greater increases in muscle hypertrophy and lean mass have been observed. Although research with milk is limited, there is some evidence to suggest that milk may be an effective post-exercise beverage for endurance activities. Low-fat milk has been shown to be as effective, if not more effective, than commercially available sports drinks as a rehydration beverage. Milk represents a more nutrient dense beverage choice for individuals who partake in strength and endurance activities, compared to traditional sports drinks. Bovine low-fat fluid milk is a safe and effective post exercise beverage for most individuals, except for those who are lactose intolerant. Further research is warranted to better delineate the possible applications and efficacy of bovine milk in

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831752

Gunny
01-04-2012, 10:51 AM
there are different types of fat and milk did NOT bulk you up it was the "power lifitng" and the EXTRA calories. Milk helps extensively in post workout recovery..

I have lifted and worked out my entire life. I have tried a number of different workouts, I do know a little about the subject. I'm not a trainer but I can set up some pretty good regimes and workouts as well as diets. I just have a hard time following them myself :laugh: Its all about teh number of calories you take in. There is NO WAY you can bulk up without taking in more calories than you burn, if you are at a caloric deficit than you will LOSE weight simple as that....

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

Its all about the number of calories, Milk will NOT bulk you up if you adjust your calories to reflet the drinking of it, Gator aid and sports drinks are not everything they are cracked up to be..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18831752

You're entitled to your opinion; however, I disagree. The powerlifiting will NOT bulk you up without the proper materials available to build with. The high protein/fat content in milk was perfect for it and back in the day, that's what it was used for and not just by me.

As a post workout recovery it goes against everything I've learned in the past 35 years I've been working out daily, and there aren't too many workouts I haven't tried, nor too many books on sports nutrition I've passed up.

Milk bulks me up. I don't care what you got that says what. I used it to bulk up when I was going for power, and I cut it out when I wanted to drop weight. Most of my contemporaries did the same. We learned it from this guy named Arnold. Maybe you've heard of him?

So, I disagree.

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
You're entitled to your opinion; however, I disagree. The powerlifiting will NOT bulk you up without the proper materials available to build with. The high protein/fat content in milk was perfect for it and back in the day, that's what it was used for and not just by me.

As a post workout recovery it goes against everything I've learned in the past 35 years I've been working out daily, and there aren't too many workouts I haven't tried, nor too many books on sports nutrition I've passed up.

Milk bulks me up. I don't care what you got that says what. I used it to bulk up when I was going for power, and I cut it out when I wanted to drop weight. Most of my contemporaries did the same. We learned it from this guy named Arnold. Maybe you've heard of him?

So, I disagree.Plain and simple if you burn more calories than you take in YOU WILL NOT BULK UP... It really is that simple.. so all you have to do is replace some calories with milk.......

ConHog
01-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I gotta agree with Gunny.

Milk is good for you, but I'm not sure it's an appropriate after workout drink.

I disagree with him about the sodium thing though. Unless a person has known issues with sodium, I don't believe there is such thing as too much, and since salt makes a person thirsty it will make you hydrate more. But that is pure opinion.

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Its funny that when NEW research comes out how many people fall back on "ohh but thats the way I have always done it". If all athletes did things the way we always have, we wouldn't ever have broken the 4 min mile. or high jumped more than 5 ft. Its all about research and new ways of looking at the way we have done things.

CSM. What do you have to lose by trying it 1 or 2 days to see how you feel. Just remember that it replaces some of your other calories. Worst case it does nothing for you....

CSM
01-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Its funny that when NEW research comes out how many people fall back on "ohh but thats the way I have always done it". If all athletes did things the way we always have, we wouldn't ever have broken the 4 min mile. or high jumped more than 5 ft. Its all about research and new ways of looking at the way we have done things.

CSM. What do you have to lose by trying it 1 or 2 days to see how you feel. Just remember that it replaces some of your other calories. Worst case it does nothing for you....

I hear you, Nuke and thanks for your input. The way I look at it, I have enough time to try just about anything. I will give it a whirl for a few days and see how I feel post workout. I was never much of a milk drinker but what the heck .... I don't hate the stuff.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Plain and simple if you burn more calories than you take in YOU WILL NOT BULK UP... It really is that simple.. so all you have to do is replace some calories with milk.......

Really? I'd have never guessed. Guess how many calories you have to burn for a glass of milk vs a glass of water?

Gunny
01-04-2012, 02:58 PM

I've lived through 35 years of "new" research.

Nutrition and workouts are like opinions and assholes .... everyone has one. Depends on who you are and how you are affected by it. I WAS smart enough to figure out that "new" research is mostly full of shit. Maybe you'll get there one day. Obviously not today though.

Now, are you going to shut up and just agree to disagree? Or are you going to keep pushing the issue that anyone with a 5th grade class in nutrition knows is bullshit? I tried to let this go, but you're so busy being right you can't see the forest for the trees.

Oh, and anyone that knows ANYTHING about nutrition knows 1 to 2 days doesn't amount to shit. Vitamins take longer to hit your system than that, much less changing a dietary habit.

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I've lived through 35 years of "new" research.

Nutrition and workouts are like opinions and assholes .... everyone has one. Depends on who you are and how you are affected by it. I WAS smart enough to figure out that "new" research is mostly full of shit. Maybe you'll get there one day. Obviously not today though.

Now, are you going to shut up and just agree to disagree? Or are you going to keep pushing the issue that anyone with a 5th grade class in nutrition knows is bullshit? I tried to let this go, but you're so busy being right you can't see the forest for the trees.

Oh, and anyone that knows ANYTHING about nutrition knows 1 to 2 days doesn't amount to shit. Vitamins take longer to hit your system than that, much less changing a dietary habit.You really are an ass aren't you. Just becasue you're narrow minded and objectionable doesn't mean YOU are right. You really should meet the kettle mr pot.. Talk about ALWAYS having to be right. Tell ya what cupcake I am about as old as you so knock off the talking like you have lived so many more years. As for 5th grade nutrition, kiss my ass. CSM was looking for something to make him feel better AFTER his work out. WE aren't talking about cummulitive doses here or anything like that, he was asking about anything to feel better, do you understand that.. or are YOU too busy trying to be RIGHT.....

Why do YOU have to let something go, not your thread, not your question.. YOU drug YOURSELF into this discussion no one asked you to join it was your own free will.. So respectfully and kindly F**K OFF....

Gunny
01-04-2012, 03:18 PM
You really are an ass aren't you. Just becasue you're narrow minded and objectionable doesn't mean YOU are right. You really should meet the kettle mr pot.. Talk about ALWAYS having to be right. Tell ya what cupcake I am about as old as you so knock off the talking like you have lived so many more years. As for 5th grade nutrition, kiss my ass. CSM was looking for something to make him feel better AFTER his work out. WE aren't talking about cummulitive doses here or anything like that, he was asking about anything to feel better, do you understand that.. or are YOU too busy trying to be RIGHT.....

Why do YOU have to let something go, not your thread, not your question.. YOU drug YOURSELF into this discussion no one asked you to join it was your own free will.. So respectfully and kindly F**K OFF....

Who's being an ass? I was willing to agree to disagree several posts ago. And I got news for you, sonny ... I've tried more bullshit that was supposedly "new" for longer than you've probably been alive.

If you're about as old as me then you're just stupid. Milk and milk products are fattening and they're the FIRST thing to go on a weight loss diet. So fuck off, huh?

I'm right when the facts, logic and common sense say so. That simple.

The problem here is, when I said I disagree with your BS, you couldn't shut up. This isn't about me having to be right. More about you refusing to be wrong or look at anything other than what works for your lard ass. Milk has a high fat content. Period. It's consider more a whole food than a drink, period. You start slamming milk, you gain weight, period. That fucking simple Mr Nutrition.

Now you want to let this go, or what? I disagree with your nonsensical BS. Simple as that. The SgtMaj's going to do what he wants to do, and I'm damned sure not going to argue with you about a no-brainer anymore.

Nukeman
01-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Who's being an ass? I was willing to agree to disagree several posts ago. And I got news for you, sonny ... I've tried more bullshit that was supposedly "new" for longer than you've probably been alive.

If you're about as old as me then you're just stupid. Milk and milk products are fattening and they're the FIRST thing to go on a weight loss diet. So fuck off, huh?

I'm right when the facts, logic and common sense say so. That simple.

The problem here is, when I said I disagree with your BS, you couldn't shut up. This isn't about me having to be right. More about you refusing to be wrong or look at anything other than what works for your lard ass. Milk has a high fat content. Period. It's consider more a whole food than a drink, period. You start slamming milk, you gain weight, period. That fucking simple Mr Nutrition.Nope not that simple.. NOT at all.. Mr. smart guy.... YOU really trying to say that all fats are the same and as such we don't use any of those fats for anything so we can cut all fats out of our diets.. That really what your saying there mr smart guy????

As for your "willing to agree to disagree". comment was followed up with an insult and prefeced with a "shut up"..

So once again... why do you care what I tell CSM... Why does it affect you?? Why do you get YOUR panties in a bunch over it?? Huh??? Why?? Sonny!?!?!!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Nope not that simple.. NOT at all.. Mr. smart guy.... YOU really trying to say that all fats are the same and as such we don't use any of those fats for anything so we can cut all fats out of our diets.. That really what your saying there mr smart guy????

As for your "willing to agree to disagree". comment was followed up with an insult and prefeced with a "shut up"..

So once again... why do you care what I tell CSM... Why does it affect you?? Why do you get YOUR panties in a bunch over it?? Huh??? Why?? Sonny!?!?!!

Actually, it IS that simple. First, please quote where I said all fats are the same. Doesn't make a difference where weight loss is concerned. Fat is fat.

Yeah, shut up. You don't know WTF you're talking about. How's that?

ConHog
01-04-2012, 03:34 PM
JERRY !!!! JERRY !!!! JERRY !!!!

:laugh: Finally it's not me

Gunny
01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
JERRY !!!! JERRY !!!! JERRY !!!!

:laugh: Finally it's not me

It can be ....:guns4:

ConHog
01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
It can be ....:guns4:

Nah, I'm bored of going round and round with you. :laugh2:

Gunny
01-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Nah, I'm bored of going round and round with you. :laugh2:

Actually, this is a joke. In a sick sort of way. Anyone and everyone that works out has their own way, and what works for them. Only a fool thinks what works for him works for everyone. The bottom line is, apparently someone doesn't realize that and can't just agree to disagree. He wants to attack because he thinks he's right, when if he just follows the aforementioned rule, everything's cool.

What I do works for me. And my children. And any Marine I had on the fatbody program. But Heaven fucking forbid I know anything. Elsie the Cow's husband knows better.

CSM
01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
*wrings hands in distress* o gorsh, if I drink milk Gunny won't like me and if I don't Nuke won't like me; what am I gonna do??? I know, I will drink Scotch and if I drink enough I'll not only feel better but won't give a flying poop if anybody likes me or not!

LOL! I understand both facets (can't say "sides") of the debate (can't call it an argument). This place is turning into recess at elementary school. I'm gonna go join the twelve year olds trying to look up girls skirts!

Gunny
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
*wrings hands in distress* o gorsh, if I drink milk Gunny won't like me and if I don't Nuke won't like me; what am I gonna do??? I know, I will drink Scotch and if I drink enough I'll not only feel better but won't give a flying poop if anybody likes me or not!

LOL! I understand both facets (can't say "sides") of the debate (can't call it an argument). This place is turning into recess at elementary school. I'm gonna go join the twelve year olds trying to look up girls skirts!

Nope. You're a big boy. He gave his opinion, and I gave mine. What you choose to do is up to you.

Oh, and I WAS going to suggest Jack Daniels as a post-workout recovery before it got so serious around here.:laugh:

CSM
01-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Nope. You're a big boy. He gave his opinion, and I gave mine. What you choose to do is up to you.

Oh, and I WAS going to suggest Jack Daniels as a post-workout recovery before it got so serious around here.:laugh:

There are a lot of powerful personalities that post so I fully understand how this stuff goes. I don't worry about it too much. I guess I am too used to watching 6 First Sergeants go at each other over over stuff they think is important. It's like watching dinosaurs dance. Kinda funny but at the same time not pretty.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
There are a lot of powerful personalities that post so I fully understand how this stuff goes. I don't worry about it too much. I guess I am too used to watching 6 First Sergeants go at each other over over stuff they think is important. It's like watching dinosaurs dance. Kinda funny but at the same time not pretty.

I hear ya. I was just wondering what milk would do to a geezer who doesn't drink it much. Might be able to classify it as a weapon.:laugh:

CSM
01-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I hear ya. I was just wondering what milk would do to a geezer who doesn't drink it much. Might be able to classify it as a weapon.:laugh:

I've drunk a lot of weird stuff in my time and none of it killed me yet; could be milk would do it! Don't tell my sons or they will want me to drink a couple of gallons a day.

Gunny
01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I've drunk a lot of weird stuff in my time and none of it killed me yet; could be milk would do it! Don't tell my sons or they will want me to drink a couple of gallons a day.

If you don't gas them to death from drinking said milk first.:laugh: