PDA

View Full Version : Boeing to close Kansas defense plant by end of 2013

Shadow
01-05-2012, 12:00 AM
WICHITA, Kan. (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=WICHITA, Kan.&sty=h&form=msdate) — The Boeing Co., for decades the brand that helped support Wichita's claim as the aviation capital of the world, announced Wednesday it will shut down facilities in the city by the end of 2013 and send work to plants in three other states as it deals with defense spending cutbacks.
The closure will cost more than 2,160 workers their jobs and end the firm's presence in an area where it has been a major employer for generations.
The decision was not a surprise because Boeing said in November it was looking at closing the Wichita plant. But it still drew an angry response from Kansas lawmakers who helped Boeing land a lucrative Air Force refueling tanker project in February and had expected thousands of jobs to come to Wichita with it. Instead, the work will go to Boeing's facilities near Seattle and Oklahoma City.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45874707/ns/business-us_business/

darin
01-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Yay Big Labor Unions! Way to go! :-/

CSM
01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
What did people expect? When you cut the defense budget, defense workers get cut. Don't worry though, I am sure all those "unskilled" workers can be trained to do something useful like painting bridges or some other shovel ready jobs which are so prevalent now. Heck, if worse becomes worst, they can be trained to become teachers or social workers.

fj1200
01-05-2012, 08:16 AM
WICHITA, Kan. (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=WICHITA, Kan.&sty=h&form=msdate) — But it still drew an angry response from Kansas lawmakers who helped Boeing land a lucrative Air Force refueling tanker project in February and had expected thousands of jobs to come to Wichita with it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45874707/ns/business-us_business/

So they either forced the government to make a bad decision based on constituent self-interest or would not have helped the government make a wise decision unless it benefited their constituent self-interest. Either way it proves Congressional stupidity.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
How DARE Boeing do what is best for Boeing.

Gunny
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, but you have to feel for Wichita. I had the pleasure of living there when my father was stationed at McConnell AFB. Boeing keeps that place alive.

CSM
01-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Just the tip of the iceberg. Wait until all the other defense contractors start laying off folks. It's coming. Just a matter of how soon. The yuppies will rejoice I am sure and the politicians will rant and rave while trying to make political gain but the end result will be thousands out of work. That doesn't include the ripple effect on businesses (big and small) that support those big meanie defense contractors. It's going to be bloody.

Nukeman
01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
How DARE Boeing do what is best for Boeing.Iwould think that Wichita has a much LOWER cost of living that Seatle not to mention the central location of Wchita. I don't understand how boing can claim to save money by shippng everything to a higher cost of living area and also putting everything on the coast. Seems kind of backwards to me..

CSM
01-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Iwould think that Wichita has a much LOWER cost of living that Seatle not to mention the central location of Wchita. I don't understand how boing can claim to save money by shippng everything to a higher cost of living area and also putting everything on the coast. Seems kind of backwards to me..

Depends where they get their basic materials. Shipping materials to Kanasas and then product out of Kansas may be a consideration. Also, the cost of doing business in Kansas (not the cost of living) may be a factor. Added to that, with budget cuts looming of already in place, it may make more sense to consolidate on their more robust assets in other locations and drop Kansas altogether. I guess my point is that there could be a lot of factors that have higher impact than just a centralized location and low cost of living for employees.

fj1200
01-05-2012, 12:39 PM
The yuppies will rejoice I am sure...

The yuppies?

Abbey Marie
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
If the jobs have to go somewhere... we have a Boeing plant nearby in PA. But they do mostly helicopters, I believe.

CSM
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
The yuppies?

Whatever they are calling the tree hugging, anti war, no working liberals these days.

fj1200
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
:laugh: Pretty sure it's not yuppie.

CSM
01-05-2012, 01:16 PM
:laugh: Pretty sure it's not yuppie.

I'm old. Give me a break. I can't write what I call them in a public forum.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Whatever they are calling the tree hugging, anti war, no working liberals these days.

Yuppies is a term from the 80s meaning Young Urban Professionals. Hardly the same as today's hippies LOL

CSM
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Yuppies is a term from the 80s meaning Young Urban Professionals. Hardly the same as today's hippies LOL

Y = Young
U = Unscrupulous
P = Pathetic
P = Panhandling
I = Ignorant
E = Egocentric
S = Sh*theads

Yuppies to me because I can't EVER be wrong!

Seriously, I was thinking hippies and wrote yuppies. Again, I'm old.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Y = Young
U = Unscrupulous
P = Pathetic
P = Panhandling
I = Ignorant
E = Egocentric
S = Sh*theads

Your definition is funnier. lol:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Y = Young
U = Unscrupulous
P = Pathetic
P = Panhandling
I = Ignorant
E = Egocentric
S = Sh*theads

Lol!

Wanted to add, even though there is no B in Yuppies:
B = Beamer drivers

gabosaurus
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
A lot of businesses are being shut down or consolidated. Boeing is just one of them.
If you want to balance the budget, things have to be cut. The defense budget is way too bloated and needs to be cut by about 30 percent.

ConHog
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
A lot of businesses are being shut down or consolidated. Boeing is just one of them.
If you want to balance the budget, things have to be cut. The defense budget is way too bloated and needs to be cut by about 30 percent.

Proves you don't know SHIT. 30% my ass. 10% okay, they could find that much FAT. 30% PSSSHHHH.

tell you what cut 20% from defense and 20% from entitlements. How about that.

gabosaurus
01-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Which entitlements are you referring to? Social security and medical benefits that workers in the 40s and 50s have worked for and contributed to their entire lives? Would you tell them that "sorry, all your contributions over the are no longer valid"?
Would you tell veterans the same thing? "Thanks for all your service, but we are closing all VA hospitals and clinics."

ConHog
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Which entitlements are you referring to? Social security and medical benefits that workers in the 40s and 50s have worked for and contributed to their entire lives? Would you tell them that "sorry, all your contributions over the are no longer valid"?
Would you tell veterans the same thing? "Thanks for all your service, but we are closing all VA hospitals and clinics."

you know exactly what I am talking about........ WELFARE

gabosaurus
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I actually didn't know. I do agree that welfare needs to be greatly streamlined.

fj1200
01-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Yes, they voted for politicians that spent their "contributions" with little regard for the long term consequences. They made their choice. Besides, your premise was false, all of their contributions are no longer valid, they are simply getting a haircut.

Medicare and the VA I'm sure can be run more efficiently by distributing vouchers and correcting bad legislation.

Nukeman
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
If you want to balance the budget, things have to be cut. The defense budget is way too bloated and needs to be cut by about 30 percent.You throw that out all the time gabs What about the education budget. YOU do realize it is about as high as the defense budget don't you. If we cut defense by 30% how about the education budget by the same amount.... After all we really aren't getting our monies worth out of it.....

Nukeman
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Medicare and SS are NOT entitlements in the sense you are speaking of. They are insurance policies that all adults PAY into during the time they work. FORCED TO PAY into I should say, with NO say so as to how it will be saved and spent...

AS for the VA shut every last one down, give ALL our veterans a Tri-care card and allow them to see ANY physician they want. It cost over 100 million to keep just a single VA hospital open now multiply that by the number of VA's there are in the country and you can buy one heck of a lot of insurance plans..

fj1200
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM
You throw that out all the time gabs What about the education budget. YOU do realize it is about as high as the defense budget don't you. If we cut defense by 30% how about the education budget by the same amount.... After all we really aren't getting our monies worth out of it.....

Federally speaking, isn't education a drop in the bucket?

EDIT: More than I would have expected.
http://www.heritage.org/research/education-notebook/the-facts-on-federal-education-spending

Nukeman
01-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Federally speaking, isn't education a drop in the bucket?

EDIT: More than I would have expected.
http://www.heritage.org/research/education-notebook/the-facts-on-federal-education-spending

If you call a total of almost 900 billion dollars between local/state/federal spending on education than Yaa a drop in the bucket that 15% of GDP guess what the defense budget is .... yup 15% of the GDP

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spending_chart_2010_2014USr_13s1li111mcn_20t

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/

fj1200
01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
If you call a total of almost 900 billion dollars between local/state/federal spending on education than Yaa a drop in the bucket that 15% of GDP guess what the defense budget is .... yup 15% of the GDP

I don't which is why I said Federally speaking which is the level of government at issue.

Abbey Marie
01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
At the rate Obama's spending is going, there won't be enough left here to raid. Maybe lowered defenses won't matter.
:waaaah::tank3:

Nukeman
01-05-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't which is why I said Federally speaking which is the level of government at issue.since we don't seperate out the defence at the local tax level I think it is very appropriate to compare the over all spending on both. They both receive the same amount of tax monies. One is acquired at the fed level only and the other is acquired at all levels by nickle and diming us to death..

ConHog
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Medicare and SS are NOT entitlements in the sense you are speaking of. They are insurance policies that all adults PAY into during the time they work. FORCED TO PAY into I should say, with NO say so as to how it will be saved and spent...

AS for the VA shut every last one down, give ALL our veterans a Tri-care card and allow them to see ANY physician they want. It cost over 100 million to keep just a single VA hospital open now multiply that by the number of VA's there are in the country and you can buy one heck of a lot of insurance plans..

I absolutely agree on the VA. They aren't even that good of hospitals in most cases.