PDA

View Full Version : Could Typo Rewrite Caucus History?

red states rule
01-06-2012, 04:07 AM
So did Mitt really win Iowa? Or did Santorum?

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Caucus night was chaotic in many places, with hundreds of voters, candidates showing up and the throngs of media who followed. The world's eyes were on Iowa. But in the quiet town of Moulton, Appanoose County, a caucus of 53 people may just blow up the results.

Edward True, 28, of Moulton, said he helped count the votes and jotted the results down on a piece of paper to post to his Facebook page. He said when he checked to make sure the Republican Party of Iowa got the count right, he said he was shocked to find they hadn't.

"When Mitt Romney won Iowa by eight votes and I've got a 20-vote discrepancy here, that right there says Rick Santorum won Iowa," True said. "Not Mitt Romney."

True said at his 53-person caucus at the Garrett Memorial Library, Romney received two votes. According to the Iowa Republican Party's website, True's precinct cast 22 votes for Romney.

"This is huge," True said. "It essentially changes who won."

A spokeswoman with the Iowa Republican Party said True is not a precinct captain and he's not a county chairperson so he has no business talking about election results. She also said the party would not be giving interviews about possible discrepancies until the caucus vote is certified.

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/30144582/detail.html#ixzz1ifQvb9Pi

fj1200
01-06-2012, 06:40 AM
So did Mitt really win Iowa? Or did Santorum?

Or does it really matter?

Survey says no.

PostmodernProphet
01-06-2012, 09:06 AM
are people who attend a caucus, Caucasians?......

fj1200
01-06-2012, 09:40 AM
In an Iowan Republican caucus? Like you don't already know the answer. :laugh:

Little-Acorn
01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
The purpose of each caucus is to report accurately the number of votes.

That is their ENTIRE purpose. They have no other.

And they blew it? By an order of magnitude???

I find this almost impossible to believe.

Either it didn't happen, or it did and it wasn't an accident.

Thunderknuckles
01-07-2012, 12:11 PM
They're overstating the significance of this. The reality of the early caucuses and primaries is to see who stays and who goes, who gets continued funding and who doesn't. That's why Santorum isn't making an issue of it. His unexpected strong finish in Iowa was a major victory in and of itself.

revelarts
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
The purpose of each caucus is to report accurately the number of votes.

That is their ENTIRE purpose. They have no other.

And they blew it? By an order of magnitude???

I find this almost impossible to believe.

Either it didn't happen, or it did and it wasn't an accident.

not sure why it's impossible to believe, but it is possible that it was an accident as well. without any other evidence it's hard to say what happened.
But with a vote as close as "8" from a vote of 10s of thousands, seems to me you'd want to double check your numbers a few times BEFORE you go around calling anyone "the winner".
just seems to make sense. the Idea that Romney is the Winner in Iowa doesn't make sense to me, by any reasonable standard he tied for 1st with Santorum. 8 or 22 votes difference in a statewide election is not a real win.