PDA

View Full Version : GM to “call back” 8,000 Chevy Volts for “structural modifications”

red states rule
01-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Ah, remember how we were told green energy was the futire? How the Chevy Volt was named Car of the Year? How one day we all would be living a more "green" life and Mother Earth would be saved?

Unless of course you are seared to a crisp in your $40,000 piece of junk

Remember each Volt sold cost taxpayers about $250,000 each.

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors will strengthen the structure around the batteries in its Volt electric cars to keep them safe during crashes, a person briefed on the matter said Thursday.

GM will ask Volt owners to return the cars to dealers for structural modifications, said the person, who did not want to be identified because GM executives plan to announce the repairs later Thursday.

The fixes are similar to a recall and involve about 8,000 Volts sold in the U.S. in the past two years. GM is making the repairs after three Volt batteries caught fire following crash tests done by federal safety regulators. The fires occurred seven days to three weeks after tests and have been blamed on a coolant leak that caused an electrical short.

GM's move is considered a step below a recall, which would be issued by a car company and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-gm-call-back-8-000-chevy-160059632.html

ConHog
01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Literally every car on the market has safety bulletins and or recalls at some point in it's life. Even more so when it is a new technology. This is no big deal and irrelevant to the cost of the car, nor to who supported building it.

red states rule
01-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Literally every car on the market has safety bulletins and or recalls at some point in it's life. Even more so when it is a new technology. This is no big deal and irrelevant to the cost of the car, nor to who supported building it.

So you dismiss the billions of taxpayer money that has been wasted on this piece of junk?

Only people like you would ignore the government interfering in the free market, trying to pick the winners/losers - and flushing all the taxpayer money down this green toilet in a vain attempt to promote their stupid "green" agenda

If I paid $40,000 for this pile of garbage, I would expect it not to catch fire while I have it parked CH. Or is that asking too much?

sundaydriver
01-07-2012, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE]— General Motors will strengthen the structure around the batteries in its Volt electric cars to keep them safe during crashes, a person briefed on the matter said Thursday.

GM will ask Volt owners to return the cars to dealers for structural modifications, said the person, who did not want to be identified because GM executives plan to announce the repairs later Thursday.

The fixes are similar to a recall and involve about 8,000 Volts sold in the U.S. in the past two years. GM is making the repairs after three Volt batteries caught fire following crash tests done by federal safety regulators. The fires occurred seven days to three weeks after tests and have been blamed on a coolant leak that caused an electrical short.

So 3 Volts caught fire due to damage from a cooling leak onto the battery after crash tests? You are apparently ignoring what the crash tests are and the catastrophic damage done to the vehicles in these tests that make them unrepairable to insurance companies and would be scrapped never to see the road again.

The NTSB say's no Volts on the road have had any similar occurance and are safe.

Just so you know what a crash test is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8EpxnNid0&feature=player_detailpage

ConHog
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE]— General Motors will strengthen the structure around the batteries in its Volt electric cars to keep them safe during crashes, a person briefed on the matter said Thursday.

So 3 Volts caught fire due to damage from a cooling leak onto the battery after crash tests? You are apparently ignoring what the crash tests are and the catastrophic damage done to the vehicles in these tests that make them unrepairable to insurance companies and would be scrapped never to see the road again.

The NTSB say's no Volts on the road have had any similar occurance and are safe.

Just so you know what a crash test is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux8EpxnNid0&feature=player_detailpage

Just RSR over reacting again simply because Obama is tenuously attached to this car

logroller
01-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Ah, remember how we were told green energy was the futire? How the Chevy Volt was named Car of the Year? How one day we all would be living a more "green" life and Mother Earth would be saved?

Unless of course you are seared to a crisp in your $40,000 piece of junk

WHAT??? How's that breakdown into line items?

tyler84
01-11-2012, 05:05 AM

That point is simply not backed up by facts. Also you know that GM payed back with interest right?

Anyways. The volts is a new development. No matter what you think about being green or saving the planet, all new technologies include risks, so does the volt. If people buy it, GM will build it, that's capitalism.

fj1200
01-12-2012, 01:26 AM
That point is simply not backed up by facts. Also you know that GM payed back with interest right?

You might want to look up Red's other thread on the issue and all of the tax breaks/bailouts that go into the calculation. Also, do you know how far in the hole the government is on GM?

Anyways. The volts is a new development. No matter what you think about being green or saving the planet, all new technologies include risks, so does the volt. If people buy it, GM will build it, that's capitalism.

Maybe so but all new technologies don't include government bailouts/loan guarantees/tax breaks flowing like water. How you claim capitalism in the case of GM is laughable.

logroller
01-12-2012, 03:28 AM
You might want to look up Red's other thread on the issue and all of the tax breaks/bailouts that go into the calculation. Also, do you know how far in the hole the government is on GM?

Maybe so but all new technologies don't include government bailouts/loan guarantees/tax breaks flowing like water. How you claim capitalism in the case of GM is laughable.

Not disputing the inefficiency of government manipulating the market, but i just wanted to mention that the per-unit real cost of a chevy volt is around $81000, which includes something like $50k of tax credits/subsidies etc, not the $250000 which was pulled from context.
Mr. Hohman's used a tally of pledged government support including state and federal assistance from 18 government deals that included loans, rebates, grants and tax credits. The $3 billion total subsidy figure includes $690.4 million offered by the state of Michigan and $2.3 billion in federal money. “If all $3 billion worth of incentives were tapped, and it’s not likely that they are, but it could range up to $250,000 per Volt,” said Hohman on the Lou Dobbs show. “Again, that’s not likely to happen. But if you just took the federal incentives that were being offered to this project and the incentives to buy so far, it would still be $50,000.” Some of the tax credits and subsidies are offered for periods up to 20 years.http://www.plugincars.com/250k-chevy-volt-111105.html

fj1200
01-12-2012, 08:38 AM
Not disputing the inefficiency of government manipulating the market, but i just wanted to mention that the per-unit real cost of a chevy volt is around $81000, which includes something like $50k of tax credits/subsidies etc, not the $250000 which was pulled from context. http://www.plugincars.com/250k-chevy-volt-111105.html

Thanks, I didn't recall all the details, nor your addition.

ConHog
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Not disputing the inefficiency of government manipulating the market, but i just wanted to mention that the per-unit real cost of a chevy volt is around $81000, which includes something like $50k of tax credits/subsidies etc, not the $250000 which was pulled from context. http://www.plugincars.com/250k-chevy-volt-111105.html

So some of those tax credits are spread out over 20 years? Assuming of course someone keeps their Chevy Volt for 20 years to collect said tax credit?

Hmmm, a far cry from the OP.

Little-Acorn
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
WHAT??? How's that breakdown into line items?

See:
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?33715-CHevy-Volt-costing-taxpayers-up-to-250K-per-vehicle-in-govt-subsidies

The good news? It means that Chevy has finally managed to BUILD 8,000 Chevy Volts. That was news to me.

The bad news? It doesn't mean they've sold them.

logroller
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
See:
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?33715-CHevy-Volt-costing-taxpayers-up-to-250K-per-vehicle-in-govt-subsidies

The good news? It means that Chevy has finally managed to BUILD 8,000 Chevy Volts. That was news to me.

The bad news? It doesn't mean they've sold them.

see: post above with Hohman's actual quote. its not $250k.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=sundaydriver;516379]

Just RSR over reacting again simply because Obama is tenuously attached to this car

The car's a piece of shit pushed by Obama and cronies. Plain and simple. My "overreaction" is that anyone buying an Obama pushed vehicle is against American values, and a bunch of losers that think this bogus "green" crap is worth fuck.

What's the left's answer? Well, you can purchase some carbon credits. Like giving the government money is going to change the weather. It's just the left and their elitist mentality. If you can pay extra, you're allowed to pollute. And the pollution itself is a leftist fear tactic and scam.

This is a car created for a non-existent emergency. I hope whoever bought one takes it up the ass.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=ConHog;516429]

The car's a piece of shit pushed by Obama and cronies. Plain and simple. My "overreaction" is that anyone buying an Obama pushed vehicle is against American values, and a bunch of losers that think this bogus "green" crap is worth fuck.

What's the left's answer? Well, you can purchase some carbon credits. Like giving the government money is going to change the weather. It's just the left and their elitist mentality. If you can pay extra, you're allowed to pollute. And the pollution itself is a leftist fear tactic and scam.

This is a car created for a non-existent emergency. I hope whoever bought one takes it up the ass.

If a person is in the market for a new vehicle, buying GM would actually be the smart move the more cars they sell the quicker the gubmint gets their money back.

As for electric cars, IF its such a dumb useless technology then why is essentially every auto maker in the world either already producing one, or have one , or more, planned for the near future.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;518331]

If a person is in the market for a new vehicle, buying GM would actually be the smart move the more cars they sell the quicker the gubmint gets their money back.

As for electric cars, IF its such a dumb useless technology then why is essentially every auto maker in the world either already producing one, or have one , or more, planned for the near future.

I have a GM. I didn't say thing about buying a GM. My comment is towards the government and media trying to shove this "grene" shit up everyone's ass to the point that it's created a false climate of fear.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=ConHog;518336]

I have a GM. I didn't say thing about buying a GM. My comment is towards the government and media trying to shove this "grene" shit up everyone's ass to the point that it's created a false climate of fear.

My personal belief is that oil is a semi renewable resource and we're all worked up over nothing, but I don't care if others think we need to come up with a new energy source.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=Gunny;518341]

My personal belief is that oil is a semi renewable resource and we're all worked up over nothing, but I don't care if others think we need to come up with a new energy source.

Want to try again? The EPA and Jimmy Carter cause a LOT of oil people to shut down their wells with stupid regulations. Maybe Jimmy Carter should have come up with that new source of energy THEN. Instead, every Democrat has whined about it then and since. That was 30+ years ago.

The fact is, we have plenty of oil. Carter and the EPA made it so expensive to get at it, Big Oil said Fuck You. Guess who's winning? Now that we've sold our asses to ME countries not bound by the fucking EPA?

Once again ... get your government out of the private sector. Their asses being there is the problem.

Gaffer
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
We don't need an energy source that hasn't been properly developed yet. We need the EPA shut down and to open up drilling and use the energy source we already have while developing other sources. Electric cars are crap and will be for the next 20 years or so. And how are we suppose to charge them when the coal plants are being shut down?

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
We don't need an energy source that hasn't been properly developed yet. We need the EPA shut down and to open up drilling and use the energy source we already have while developing other sources. Electric cars are crap and will be for the next 20 years or so. And how are we suppose to charge them when the coal plants are being shut down?

Amen.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:19 PM

yeah get rid of the EPA, who cares about clean air? I'm with you....

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM

The EPA doesn't. Want to try again? This time with someone who might care about clean air?

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:24 PM
The EPA doesn't. Want to try again? This time with someone who might care about clean air?

HUH? Well at least you admit you don't care about clean air.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
HUH? Well at least you admit you don't care about clean air.

Dumb post. I never said anything of the sort. You just pulled it out of your ass.

Why don't you just drop down on your knees and start giving the Feds head? Might as well, the way you're talking.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Dumb post. I never said anything of the sort. You just pulled it out of your ass.

Why don't you just drop down on your knees and start giving the Feds head? Might as well, the way you're talking.

If that's not what you meant then perhaps you should learn to write what you DO mean, because you said that I should try again this time with someone who cared about clean air, in response to me talking to YOU . Indicating that you in fact don't care about clean air.

As for stupid sexual remarks. Grow up.

Gaffer
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

The EPA is run by greenie wackos that want to take the country back to the 18th century. They are out to bankrupt the nation, not clear the air. The current regime (it's not an administration) wants to make this a third world country and is using the EPA to do just that. The EPA is currently as powerful if not more powerful than the IRS. And they have no watch dogs.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
If that's not what you meant then perhaps you should learn to write what you DO mean, because you said that I should try again this time with someone who cared about clean air, in response to me talking to YOU . Indicating that you in fact don't care about clean air.

As for stupid sexual remarks. Grow up.

Try again. I wrote exactly what I mean. I think I wrote it plain and clear the EPA doesn't give a shit about clean air. Just another bureaucracy of the Federal Government you support because they tell you to. The EPA fucks us over more than it helps. Clear enough for you?

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
The EPA is run by greenie wackos that want to take the country back to the 18th century. They are out to bankrupt the nation, not clear the air. The current regime (it's not an administration) wants to make this a third world country and is using the EPA to do just that. The EPA is currently as powerful if not more powerful than the IRS. And they have no watch dogs.

I fully agree, that is why I didn't vote for Obama, and I will not vote for him this time. The EPA (as well as most every other agency) needs to be scaled back and HOPEFULLY we can do so. That is a far cry from not acknowledging that pure capitalism with no government oversight on things like air purity would lead us back to the 19th century.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I fully agree, that is why I didn't vote for Obama, and I will not vote for him this time. The EPA (as well as most every other agency) needs to be scaled back and HOPEFULLY we can do so. That is a far cry from not acknowledging that pure capitalism with no government oversight on things like air purity would lead us back to the 19th century.

There is no provision in the US Constitution for government oversight for your cause.

Gaffer
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM

The problem now is we have govt agencies with no oversight. Agencies that levy fines to fund themselves and justify their existence. Or, in the case of the EPA, to cripple the country.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
The problem now is we have govt agencies with no oversight. Agencies that levy fines to fund themselves and justify their existence. Or, in the case of the EPA, to cripple the country.

Exactly.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
There is no provision in the US Constitution for government oversight for your cause.

and there does not have to be. Please read the COTUS, specifically the 10th Amendment.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
and there does not have to be. Please read the COTUS, specifically the 10th Amendment.

You quote the 10th in defense of federal government bullshit? Maybe YOU need to read it. Or can you show me in the Bill of Rights where the EPA is specifically designated as having Rights to supercede state governments? Oh, you can't.

Might want to pull whatever obscure rule allows for the EPA rather than the 10th. It ain't working for you.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
You quote the 10th in defense of federal government bullshit? Maybe YOU need to read it. Or can you show me in the Bill of Rights where the EPA is specifically designated as having Rights to supercede state governments? Oh, you can't.

Might want to pull whatever obscure rule allows for the EPA rather than the 10th. It ain't working for you.

It aint working cuz you can't read.

fj1200
01-14-2012, 07:17 AM

That is the worst reason in the world to buy a car.

fj1200
01-14-2012, 07:21 AM

Is the 10th your answer for everything? Try the Commerce Clause.

Gunny
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
It aint working cuz you can't read.

Are you done proving yourself illiterate, or what? You can either drop it, attention whore, or you're going to get my undivided.

ConHog
01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
That is the worst reason in the world to buy a car.

I didn't say it was the best reason, just said it is a factor. Of course I wouldn't by an unsafe, over priced piece of shit, just so the government gets paid back faster, but the fact is GMs cars are comparable to the rest when it comes to price and quality, this isn't the 1980s anymore.

fj1200
01-14-2012, 02:09 PM
I didn't say it was the best reason, just said it is a factor. Of course I wouldn't by an unsafe, over priced piece of shit, just so the government gets paid back faster, but the fact is GMs cars are comparable to the rest when it comes to price and quality, this isn't the 1980s anymore.

You said "the smart move," that hardly implies it's only a factor.

ConHog
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
You said "the smart move," that hardly implies it's only a factor.

Yes , I did say that but was talking about in relation to Gunny's comments about government money, implying that he wouldn't buy one because the government funded it.