PDA

View Full Version : State of Illinois disenfranchising poor and minorities!

MtnBiker
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
<!-- AddThis Button Begin --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var addthis_product = 'wpp-261';var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = {"templates":{"twitter":"{{title}} {{url}}"},"url_transforms":{"shorten":{"twitter":"bitly"}},"shorteners":{"bitly":{"login":"cbslocal","apiKey":"R_a42469be25a4cd114f9641fad362d038"}}};}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="//s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ra-4ddd05dc24272928" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

If you’re trying to unclog a hairball from the bathroom sink with the help of a drain cleaner, expect to show some ID.
A new law that went into effect Jan. 1 addresses the sale and possession of caustic and noxious substances, which include items such as drain cleaners and pool chemicals.
The legislation was initiated after two attacks on Chicago women who were badly scarred after having acid poured on them, according to the Illinois Retail Merchants Association.
Under the new law, when customers buy these products they must provide a valid driver’s license or other government-issued identification showing their name, date of birth and a photograph. They then must sign a log documenting their name and address, the date and time of the transaction, the brand name, product name, and net weight of the item.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/01/04/new-state-law-could-clog-checkouts/aw11dzb/

What if the poor and minorities have clogged drains, how are they suppose to purchase a drain cleaner? Is Eric Holding looking into this, should he be suing the State of Illinois?

ConHog
01-06-2012, 03:47 PM

What if the poor and minorities have clogged drains, how are they suppose to purchase a drain cleaner? Is Eric Holding looking into this, should he be suing the State of Illinois?

:laugh2:

Seriously stupid that a person doesn't have to show ID to vote.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Tough. Poor or not, they should have ID. Not sure what the point is though. I have ID and can purchase said products and throw them at whoever I want.

The very topic is stupid. The majority has to suffer inconvenience because some crack heads figured out a way to do damage with a product. Guess what? I can kill you with a pencil. I think they should be a controlled item.

MtnBiker
01-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Tough. Poor or not, they should have ID.

No they shouldn't, that would be an extrordinary burden on the poor and minorities to have an ID. Eric Holder blocked South Carolina from implementing an ID law. The Attorney General should be doing the same here.

Gunny
01-06-2012, 04:10 PM
No they shouldn't, that would be an extrordinary burden on the poor and minorities to have an ID. Eric Holder blocked South Carolina from implementing an ID law. The Attorney General should be doing the same here.

I disagree. To the point that I have NO problem with free IDs. You can get them in TX. Otherwise, it's no more a burden on the poor and minorities than it is the wealthy. It's a burden on the illegal.

ConHog
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I disagree. To the point that I have NO problem with free IDs. You can get them in TX. Otherwise, it's no more a burden on the poor and minorities than it is the wealthy. It's a burden on the illegal.

ALERT: ALERT: The pilot has turned on the sarcasm light and Gunny is missing the point of this thread.

MtnBiker
01-06-2012, 04:19 PM
ALERT: ALERT: The pilot has turned on the sarcasm light and Gunny is missing the point of this thread.

Perhaps my humor is a little to dry.

Seriously, a state can pass an ID law on the purchase of a house hold item and that is acceptable. However when a voter ID law is proposed we hear cries of discrimination and disenfranchisement against the poor and minorities.

So I would ask, how is it that an adult can function in our modern society without and ID?

Gunny
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Perhaps my humor is a little to dry.

Seriously, a state can pass an ID law on the purchase of a house hold item and that is acceptable. However when a voter ID law is proposed we hear cries of discrimination and disenfranchisement against the poor and minorities.

So I would ask, how is it that an adult can function in our modern society without and ID?

If you'd post more than twice a year I might be able to get it.

MtnBiker
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
If you'd post more than twice a year I might be able to get it.

Well, that is good point.

But don't ask me to show my ID when I post!

ConHog
01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Well, that is good point.

But don't ask me to show my ID when I post!

I propose a poster exam before allowing a person to post. :laugh:

sundaydriver
01-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I ordered two separate types of E. coli strands from Europe today. Without any ID. I guess I'll get my drain cleaner the same way if need be.

pegwinn
01-06-2012, 08:03 PM

I stole your link and will be blatantly copying the elsewhere. There are some folks who really and truly think that voter ID is the second coming...... of hitler that need an injection of humor.

ConHog
01-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I stole your link and will be blatantly copying the elsewhere. There are some folks who really and truly think that voter ID is the second coming...... of hitler that need an injection of humor.

Anyone who seriously believes that requiring voters to show ID would disenfranchise ANYONE should themselves not be allowed to vote because they are too stupid.

pegwinn
01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Anyone who seriously believes that requiring voters to show ID would disenfranchise ANYONE should themselves not be allowed to vote because they are too stupid.

Agreed. But, we are not allowed to weed out the stupid anymore. So, I have to catch my fun where and when I can.

MtnBiker
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Cool, have fun with that.