PDA

View Full Version : Vet bill for my horse=need to sell a few things to help the sting of the bank account

KitchenKitten99
01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Backstory: I have been leasing/training a horse since early July and she has come a long way since then. She isn't officially mine, but I have been footing the bills for her standard care due to her owner deciding she would rather let it all go, such as hoof trim, vet check, deworming, etc. She was pretty much neglected other than being fed and the barn owner that boards her cannot afford to keep footing the basic care bills, and now has a lien on her due to the owner not paying boarding on time and missing payments. She didn't want much to do with any kind of handling and had almost zero patience back then because she hadn't been ridden or handled much in two years.

She is about 12yrs old, and judging by conformation and being slightly 'hot-blooded', she's likely an Arab/Quarter cross. Since then, she now stands nice to be groomed, saddles well, and bridles like a pro, etc. She has a wonderful trot and loves to lope/canter when we are out at the park.

Anyhow, there has been a recurring lameness issue, that what I thought would be a quick assessment for $200 or less turned into $495 due to x-rays and a few other exams the vet needed to do. Good news is it is nothing serious, and treatment is same as abscess treatments. Bad news is the bill...which normally wouldn't be as harsh but my husband and I are going on our honeymoon in 15 days and that money came out of our spending money fund. So now I need to try to take the sting out of that as much as I can. It hurt, but it also doesn't make sense for me to have spent all this time on her and keep leasing her if she isn't sound and I am not the type of person to give up on her when I planned to purchase her as her owner was originally intending to sell her. After this bill and the other money I have spent to get her back to health, I think it is a good negotiating point for her owner to transfer ownership to me by default. Anyhow enough about that...

I'm taking a chance on posting this here as I have no idea if anyone can use any of this stuff. But hey, it's worth a shot. And yes, this stuff is on craigslist and a couple other horse-related boards too.

On to the items that are on the auction block: First up are a pair of Ariat field boots. I have listed and re-listed these on ebay and craigslist with no success. These are *brand new*, never used, worn only around the house to get used to them. Never riding or in the paddock/barn. I just don't have the box or tags, but they are very much the real thing. I thought I would eventually use them at some point for showing. Now I am sure that showing in English is a ways off (year or two at least) and they are just taking up space and it is a shame. No tags or box. They retail from $375 to $400, depending on what site you visit. Dover has them here: Ariat Challenge II (http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?dmi_offer_code=SITE&w=challenge+ii+zip+field+boot&idc=[[SLI_IDC]]&ids=498171386) Ariat Site: Ariat.com (http://www.ariat.com/English/Women/Footwear/TallBoots/ChallengeFieldZipII.html?color=BLACK_CALF) Size is 8.5B, Hight: Med, Calf: Reg $175 including shipping! (Canadians may be extra).

Second is my beading/jewelry-making collection. I have containers and organizers FULL of beads, findings, beading filament, elastic, beading wire (different gauges, mostly silver but some gold and copper). Beads are Swarovski crystals and pearls, Czech glass, various earth-stones (turquoise, agates, etc), seed beads (high quality), head-pins, sea glass, spacers, etc. All are high-quality and there is a rainbow of colors! The Swarovski ones were $9 to $20 per strand, depending on the size and color, and most I never even got around to using in anything. I have about 9 different colors and sizes of crystals and about 6 different pearl colors, and many other shades in other non-Swarovski brands. Silly me got hooked on doing this last year for my wedding to make my bridal jewelry and other gifts and I went a little overboard (ok, wayyyyy overboard) in buying deals at the craft store. I did some stuff over the summer, but ultimately I got bored with it and I haven't touched it since and it is taking up space in our shop's storage room. It is all yours (within their containers, sorted and grouped, all but one are individual locking) for $350, including shipping. $325 if local pick-up/delivery. Estimated value is more close to about $600+ for full retail prices.

Third is a set of two tires, Dunlop SP Sport 5000. Size P235/50R18. They were on my 2007 Chevy Impala SS. The dealer I bought my car from in April 2011 put these on because the rear tires were too badly worn to be safe. The fronts were needing replacing but not right away. The hubby and I decided to take advantage of a deal on 4 new tires, so these were subsequently removed and are now in our garage. They only have about 6,000 miles on them. Brand new, they sell for $175-180 per tire, not including installation. I am asking $200 for both of them together, local pick-up. If you would like a shipping quote, I can give you one, but it is not likely to be cheap given their weight.

boots:

i can get pics of the other stuff if desired. Just ask and you shall receive.

KitchenKitten99
01-09-2012, 12:24 PM
The car has been sold!