PDA

View Full Version : Lawmaker targets TSA's big chunk of change

Shadow
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Hate hidden travel fees? Then pay attention when collecting your belongings at the airport security checkpoint.
In fiscal year 2010, travelers left $376,480.39 in loose change in the bottoms of plastic bins at the checkpoints, according to the Transportation Security Administration. In 2009, the abandoned coins totaled more than $399,000.
“Passengers say their six pennies don’t matter,” said TSA spokesperson Nico Melendez. “But it adds up.”

Melendez said all the unclaimed pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are turned over to the TSA finance office. After being documented and counted, the money ends up in the coffers of the TSA, which is authorized by law to spend that money as it sees fit.

But Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.) wants to change what happens to that big chunk of change.
Miller has introduced legislation that would direct the TSA to transfer unclaimed money recovered at airport security checkpoints to the United Service Organizations (http://www.uso.org/) (USO), a private nonprofit that operates centers for the military at 41 U.S. airports.

in 2009, but it didn’t get much traction. Now that he’s the chairman of the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs, he’s trying to move the bill forward again.
“The money left behind at the airport checkpoints belongs to taxpayers,” said Miller spokesperson Dan McFaul. “The congressman feels giving it to the USO to help with onsite airport service for active members of the military would be a good use for it.”

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/06/9979819-lawmaker-targets-tsas-big-chunk-of-change

ConHog
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Is this really an important issue that these fucks should be wasting their time on? I mean for real.

Shadow
01-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Is this really an important issue that these fucks should be wasting their time on? I mean for real.

Yeah...let's never do anything because it won't matter.

Wasting time? You mean like strip searching grandma's and feeling up toddlers for bombs?

I'd rather the money go toward something more worth while...like the USO or wounded warriors myself.

ConHog
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah...let's never do anything because it won't matter.

Wasting time? You mean like strip searching grandma's and feeling up toddlers for bombs?

I'd rather the money go toward something more worth while...like the USO or wounded warriors myself.

The money nor the TSA are my point. I'm just saying in the overall scheme this isn't important and Congress has bigger fish to fry.

This is a waste of time they could be doing something that will actually benefit the country

Gunny
01-07-2012, 01:18 PM

I disagree. Given a choice, the TSA wouldn't get a nickel out of me. I'm all about denying them a slush fund.

ConHog
01-07-2012, 02:05 PM
I disagree. Given a choice, the TSA wouldn't get a nickel out of me. I'm all about denying them a slush fund.

And I say as fucked up as our country is right now, Congress has more important things to focus on. This is right up there with that idiot from Utah wanting to outlaw the BCS in college football.

Priorities, some people need to get some.

Gunny
01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
And I say as fucked up as our country is right now, Congress has more important things to focus on. This is right up there with that idiot from Utah wanting to outlaw the BCS in college football.

Priorities, some people need to get some.

You're entitled to your opinion. I say however, Congress is getting overpaid to address ALL the issues. Not just the most important (according to whoever's priority list). This is one. Maybe Congress should quit taking breaks for half the year and stay in session until they unfuck this mess.

ConHog
01-07-2012, 02:23 PM
You're entitled to your opinion. I say however, Congress is getting overpaid to address ALL the issues. Not just the most important (according to whoever's priority list). This is one. Maybe Congress should quit taking breaks for half the year and stay in session until they unfuck this mess.

So you want them up there full time fucking things up?

I just think this is fairly unimportant and could have been addressed when TSA's budget comes up. Simply deduct X amount from their budgeting and call it even. No reason for a big huge battle over some stupid bill which will no doubt end up with 400 riders on it which not only cost the tax payers money, but probably end up giving the TSA more money then they would have had if they just got to keep the change. You know how stupid Congress is.

Gunny
01-07-2012, 02:27 PM
So you want them up there full time fucking things up?

I just think this is fairly unimportant and could have been addressed when TSA's budget comes up. Simply deduct X amount from their budgeting and call it even. No reason for a big huge battle over some stupid bill which will no doubt end up with 400 riders on it which not only cost the tax payers money, but probably end up giving the TSA more money then they would have had if they just got to keep the change. You know how stupid Congress is.

I want them to do what they are paid to do. I don't care how long they take about it. I just don't see that if the job isn't done, they get to go home. Doesn't work that way in the real world for real people.

And I don't want the Gestapo getting so much as a dime of my money for ANY reason. Fortunately, I've flown only once in the last 13 years and I KNOW I didn't leave any money for them.