PDA

View Full Version : People of "color"

Yurt
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
WTF does this mean?

Half of newcomers here are minorities

In the years since the 2000 census, the state of Washington has added more than 500,000 new residents.

More than half were people of color.

Nationally, "we're dealing with a bigger population and one's that's more diverse and dispersed throughout the country," said William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C.

"Everyone's getting a taste of this new minority."

To be sure, Washington state remains ... well, pretty white, with whites representing 77 percent of the state's overall population, according to a report released by the U.S. Census Bureau today.

Driven largely by immigration, the slowly increasing diversity here mirrors what has been happening to one degree or another across the U.S., where 1 in every 3 people identifies as being other than white.

Nationwide, people of color numbered 100 million in 2006, representing a third of the U.S. population of 300 million. Latinos across the country, as well as here in Washington state, represented the biggest and fastest-growing minority group.

Frey said that while "diversity adds a kind of cultural vibrancy" to cities like Seattle, "we shouldn't make it sound like every neighborhood is a rainbow community. There are still places in this country that are still pretty white."

Diversity is coming to Washington at a slower pace than the nation as a whole.

White is a apparently NOT a color (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003710444_staterace17m.html)

This crap makes me sick. Color. Diversity. NOT ALL White people are the SAME.

Utter bullshit. I challenge anyone to defend it.

Trigg
05-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Frey said that while "diversity adds a kind of cultural vibrancy" to cities like Seattle, "we shouldn't make it sound like every neighborhood is a rainbow community. There are still places in this country that are still pretty white."

I like how he makes this sound like it's a bad thing. Unlike vibrant chinese communities or black cultural centers in large cities.

I live in one of those (apparently) bland, non-rainbow, non-vibrant communities. HEY I LIKE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!:dance:

gabosaurus
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Most black people dislike the "people of color" tag. They prefer "black" or "African-American."

5stringJeff
05-18-2007, 10:55 AM
"Black" works for me. It's six syllables shorter than "African-American." Much more efficient.

LOki
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
It's funny that I've always considered myself a native American--considering how I was born here, my folks were born here, and their folks were all born here. Yet my skin isn't red. I pause to wonder how far back one must reach into their ancestry to establish "native" or "indigenous" status.

As far as "African-American" is concerned, the anthropological evidence indicates that all Americans, regardless of complexion, are descendants of African populations. Take advantage of the entitlements you're due, resultant of your minority status. :D

"Black," "Red," "Olive," "Yellow," and "Brown" are as accurately, and prescisely descriptive as "White." Which is why I prefer such terms (when it's necessary to use them) over those that attempt to confer special, yet none-the-less irrelevent, status to the individuals described.

Doniston
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
We are all "People of color" (unless of course we are albinos). I happen to be a sort of pink-beige.

GW in Ohio
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
WTF does this mean?

Half of newcomers here are minorities

In the years since the 2000 census, the state of Washington has added more than 500,000 new residents.

More than half were people of color.

Nationally, "we're dealing with a bigger population and one's that's more diverse and dispersed throughout the country," said William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C.

"Everyone's getting a taste of this new minority."

To be sure, Washington state remains ... well, pretty white, with whites representing 77 percent of the state's overall population, according to a report released by the U.S. Census Bureau today.

Driven largely by immigration, the slowly increasing diversity here mirrors what has been happening to one degree or another across the U.S., where 1 in every 3 people identifies as being other than white.

Nationwide, people of color numbered 100 million in 2006, representing a third of the U.S. population of 300 million. Latinos across the country, as well as here in Washington state, represented the biggest and fastest-growing minority group.

Diversity is coming to Washington at a slower pace than the nation as a whole.

White is a apparently NOT a color (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003710444_staterace17m.html)

This crap makes me sick. Color. Diversity. NOT ALL White people are the SAME.

Utter bullshit. I challenge anyone to defend it.

Damn right, Yurt.

Let's bring back some of those good old terms........Negroes....darkies.......colored people.......

Hagbard Celine
05-18-2007, 03:19 PM
The way I interpret this is: Europeans (whites) aren't emigrating here anymore because they've got it good or better in their own countries, i.e. we have nothing to offer them, but brown people are still emigrating here because as lame as it is, living here still beats living in the third world. :dunno:

glockmail
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
The way I interpret this is: Europeans (whites) aren't emigrating here anymore because they've got it good or better in their own countries, i.e. we have nothing to offer them, but brown people are still emigrating here because as lame as it is, living here still beats living in the third world. :dunno: Europeans are migrating here as fast as they ever did. It's just that we are being overun with illegals.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Europeans are migrating here as fast as they ever did. It's just that we are being overun with illegals.

:clap: :clap:

Hugh Lincoln
05-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Non-whites come to white countries because we build better countries.

You don't see whites flooding into Haiti or Senegal, but you do see Haitians and Senegalese flooding into Canada, the U.S., etc.

Always one way, never the reverse.

But once the U.S. becomes minority-white, it will turn into the same Third-World shithole as the "feeder" countries, and then it'll slow down. Boy, I can't wait! At the doctor the other day, I get an Indian doctor who I can't understand and a black nurse with tattoos all down her arm and smelling like cigarettes. It wasn't like that when I was growing up, and it made me mad/sad/depressed. I go out to the store, and everyone in there is some piece of dung, shrunken, babbling little foreigner. "Got 100-watt bulbs?" "Got da wha?" Nobody speaks English anymore. Does this make us better off?

Doniston
05-19-2007, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=LOki;60810]It's funny that I've always considered myself a native American--considering how I was born here, my folks were born here, and their folks were all born here. Yet my skin isn't red. I pause to wonder how far back one must reach into their ancestry to establish "native" or "indigenous" status.

QUOTE] I have always felt the same way. there are no real native or indiginous peoples here, they/we all came from somewhere else. and I have a slight second claim in that I have a "smiggin" of Injun in meI