PDA

View Full Version : Carbon emissions 'will defer Ice Age'

Shadow
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Human emissions of carbon dioxide will defer the next Ice Age, say scientists.
The last Ice Age ended about 11,500 years ago, and when the next one should begin has not been entirely clear.
Researchers used data on the Earth's orbit and other things to find the historical warm interglacial period that looks most like the current one.
In the journal Nature Geoscience (http://www.nature.com/ngeo/index.html), they write that the next Ice Age would begin within 1,500 years - but emissions have been so high that it will not.

"At current levels of CO2, even if emissions stopped now we'd probably have a long interglacial duration determined by whatever long-term processes could kick in and bring [atmospheric] CO2 down," said Luke Skinner from Cambridge University.
Dr Skinner's group - which also included scientists from University College London, the University of Florida and Norway's Bergen University - calculates that the atmospheric concentration of CO2 would have to fall below about 240 parts per million (ppm) before the glaciation could begin.
The current level is around 390ppm.
Other research groups have shown that even if emissions were shut off instantly, concentrations would remain elevated for at least 1,000 years, with enough heat stored in the oceans potentially to cause significant melting of polar ice and sea level rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16439807

Dilloduck
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
This is great news--our grandkids won't have to freeze to death.

Shadow
01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
This is great news--our grandkids won't have to freeze to death.

You can thank me later with some popcorn jellybeans. I helped after all...driving my car around after it failed emissions... twice. ;):cheer5:

Gunny
01-09-2012, 12:07 PM
You can thank me later with some popcorn jellybeans. I helped after all...driving my car around after it failed emissions... twice. ;):cheer5:

Well, no .... did you pay? Apparently if you pay a fee, it makes carbon emissions okay. Why does this sound as stupid as it looks?

Shadow
01-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Well, no .... did you pay? Apparently if you pay a fee, it makes carbon emissions okay. Why does this sound as stupid as it looks?

Well damn...I was within the rules after all. It is stupid...so, it's kinda like hush money...you pay a fine, and they will cook the books making them look better then they actually are. Just think what this report must REALLY look like.

CSM
01-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Meh, just another backhanded attempt to play the global warming game.

Dilloduck
01-09-2012, 04:34 PM

That's because you knocked your exhaust system off by flying over curbs.

Shadow
01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
That's because you knocked your exhaust system off by flying over curbs.

It wasn't a curb...it was a sink hole,and you were distracting me anyway...so it's actually YOUR fault.:smartass2:

Dilloduck
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
It wasn't a curb...it was a sink hole,and you were distracting me anyway...so it's actually YOUR fault.:smartass2:

Going 80 mph over a sink hole ain't really brilliant either.:laugh2:

Shadow
01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Going 80 mph over a sink hole ain't really brilliant either.:laugh2:

Such an exaggeration...but, it got your attention didn't it. I got dinner out of it...oh wait...that may have been for not running the stop sign and broadsiding another car....never mind.:laugh2:

Dilloduck
01-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Such an exaggeration...but, it got your attention didn't it. I got dinner out of it...oh wait...that may have been for not running the stop sign and broadsiding another car....never mind.:laugh2:

got dinner for it ? I think not--you still owe me.:cool:

Shadow
01-09-2012, 05:05 PM
got dinner for it ? I think not--you still owe me.:cool:

I do??? :confused:

Dilloduck
01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
I do??? :confused:

That's it ? That's all I get for an entire dinner ??

Shadow
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
That's it ? That's all I get for an entire dinner ??

Well... I took you to see the Osmonds in concert...what more could you possibly want. :happy0203: