PDA

View Full Version : My Dogs

jimnyc
01-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Here is Jerome, my Pug. He's getting pretty old, nearing 13 now. He's beaten up and has had surgery on his eye to the left, which is why it looks weird, other than the crappy picture from my crappy camera.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2dkn5oh.jpg

And here he is with his little homosexual buddy, Porter, my Chihuahua.

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zwdrbr.jpg

shattered
01-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I. Want. A. Pug.

sundaydriver
01-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Is Porter named after the Mel Gibson character? Cause he looks just as tough!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN69_DFySJA&feature=player_detailpage

jimnyc
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I. Want. A. Pug.

Get one! A pure breed here in the NY area is about 800-1000. VERY loyal and ALWAYS looking to have fun, when they aren't eating, which they also consider fun!

Is Porter named after the Mel Gibson character? Cause he looks just as tough!

NO! LOL He was named after Joey Porter, who at the time was a Linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Also for the other dog, Jerome, who was named after the running back at the time, Jerome Bettis.

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Stop. No, Jess can't have one.:slap:

shattered
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Get one! A pure breed here in the NY area is about 800-1000. VERY loyal and ALWAYS looking to have fun, when they aren't eating, which they also consider fun!

I've spent that much on a cat.. Not sure I can bring myself to spend that much on a dog, tho...

ConHog
01-09-2012, 09:23 PM

NO! LOL He was named after Joey Porter, who at the time was a Linebacker for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Also for the other dog, Jerome, who was named after the running back at the time, Jerome Bettis.

I think you should get a young dog that kicks those dogs' asses and name him Tebow.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I've spent that much on a cat.. Not sure I can bring myself to spend that much on a dog, tho...

Yes, you did as a matter of fact.:laugh:

shattered
01-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes, you did as a matter of fact.:laugh:

It was a *really* pretty cat.. :)

Dog was only $320 cuz he was a rescue...but he needs a friend, so....

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM

You're such a sucker ....:laugh:

shattered
01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
You're such a sucker ....:laugh:

Hmph. Biteth me. :)

They're cuter than humans.

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:36 PM

The ex paid $425 for my Boxer but I'd never pay that much again - especially for a purebred. Too many breed issues, usually.

Marvin was $10. Already de-clawed and neutered. :cool:

The other male I adopted (two-legged variety) is proving to be higher maintenance than the damned cat. It's a good thing he contributes. :laugh:

ConHog
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
The ex paid $425 for my Boxer but I'd never pay that much again - especially for a purebred. Too many breed issues, usually.

The other male I adopted (two-legged variety) is proving to be higher maintenance than the damned cat. It's a good thing he contributes. :laugh:

We used to get anywhere from $4-600 for our Dane puppies.

Personally I'd NEVER spend that kind of money on a dog, too many rescue animals out there looking for a home, and that's why we have stopped breeding ours. You can even find purebred rescue Danes if that's what you want.

shattered
01-09-2012, 09:40 PM

The cat was a Silver Persian, with show parents - worth every single penny. Unfortunately, he still died even AFTER I yanked $4000 from savings to try and save him. :(

The dog is a Shih Tzu, who, as it turns out, is turning out to be worth every penny as well, and that's why I'm considering a second one... (tho, from a different rescue agency - I hate the one I got Tj from)

As for the two-legged variety....well, at least they can reach stuff, and lift really heavy things. :D

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:40 PM

:slap:

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
We used to get anywhere from $4-600 for our Dane puppies.

Personally I'd NEVER spend that kind of money on a dog, too many rescue animals out there looking for a home, and that's why we have stopped breeding ours. You can even find purebred rescue Danes if that's what you want.

Good for you! Too many puppy mills/backyard breeders and the like. Rescue groups are awesome.

Best dog I ever had was a mutt though. He was sooooo cool.

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:45 PM
The cat was a Silver Persian, with show parents - worth every single penny. Unfortunately, he still died even AFTER I yanked $4000 from savings to try and save him. :(

The dog is a Shih Tzu, who, as it turns out, is turning out to be worth every penny as well, and that's why I'm considering a second one... (tho, from a different rescue agency - I hate the one I got Tj from)

As for the two-legged variety....well, at least they can reach stuff, and lift really heavy things. :D
Ooooooh, pretty kitty. Sucks when you can't save them, huh?

Sounds like you've had good luck overall with the pets you've chosen.

The two legged pets ... errrr, adoptees do have their uses. ;)

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Ooooooh, pretty kitty. Sucks when you can't save them, huh?

Sounds like you've had good luck overall with the pets you've chosen.

The two legged pets ... errrr, adoptees do have their uses. ;)

Yeah. We wash dishes.

shattered
01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah. We wash dishes.

...and lifting, and reaching, and sometimes even taking out the garbage...

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Ummm ... no ...the lifting and reaching is HER job. I just observe.

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Heck, I can and do all of those things. Either that, or have the minions do it. Same with the dishes.

But having somebody who is thoughtful enough to go out and warm up my truck before I have to leave for work in the morning is pretty cool. And when he gets me stuff that I don't ask for but he knows I'd like or want. THAT gets him definite points. :hug99:

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Ummm ... no ...the lifting and reaching is HER job. I just observe.

And you do a stand-up job, dear. :cool:

ConHog
01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Good for you! Too many puppy mills/backyard breeders and the like. Rescue groups are awesome.

Best dog I ever had was a mutt though. He was sooooo cool.

I bred the female b/c my vet told me that it was actually good to breed a female a couple times, and the money was nice ; but ultimately we just decided that there are too many good dogs already out there looking for homes. And like I said , there are even Great Dane rescues where a person can find a full bred Dane if they want one.

Gunny
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Heck, I can and do all of those things. Either that, or have the minions do it. Same with the dishes.

But having somebody who is thoughtful enough to go out and warm up my truck before I have to leave for work in the morning is pretty cool. And when he gets me stuff that I don't ask for but he knows I'd like or want. THAT gets him definite points. :hug99:

Trying to ruin my reputation, huh?

Jess
01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
I bred the female b/c my vet told me that it was actually good to breed a female a couple times, and the money was nice ; but ultimately we just decided that there are too many good dogs already out there looking for homes. And like I said , there are even Great Dane rescues where a person can find a full bred Dane if they want one.

Yup. I loooooove Boxers but don't believe I'll every buy another from a breeder. They have rescue groups for every breed out there and I'd look at one of them.

Now I'm nostalgic. Gonna have to post of pic of my Boxer. She's gone now but she was cool. Utterly awesome with my kids, even when they were infants.

Jess
01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Trying to ruin my reputation, huh?

Who else does your rep matter with, hmmm?

Thought I was bragging, anyway. :cool:

Gunny
01-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Who else does your rep matter with, hmmm?

Thought I was bragging, anyway. :cool:

You're lucky I love you.

Jess
01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
You're lucky I love you.
Ditto. ;)

Jess
01-09-2012, 10:15 PM
This was "Sula" -

pegwinn
01-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Best dog I ever got was from the Honolulu Humane Society. Just a mutt. He was about seven or so and had been abused, chained, etc. The dog was a racist. For like three years he would lunge at blacks.

Not counting that an MP buddy and I trained him. Best house and guard dog I ever had.

Finally passed away when he was about fifteen or so.

Damn. I need to go get a beer.

Jess
01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Best dog I ever got was from the Honolulu Humane Society. Just a mutt. He was about seven or so and had been abused, chained, etc. The dog was a racist. For like three years he would lunge at blacks.

Not counting that an MP buddy and I trained him. Best house and guard dog I ever had.

Finally passed away when he was about fifteen or so.

Damn. I need to go get a beer.

:beer:

Mutts rule.

Wish I would have had the buddy you did. My dog just thought she needed to kill any other animal she saw. And just figure the odds of anybody messing with me or my kids when she was around. Not happening.

God bless good dogs.

Jess
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
"Bailey" was a dog in my care frequently until she had to be put to sleep about two weeks ago. The vet thought her to be a golden retriever/chow mix.

The other four-legged kids in that family are "Angus", a Lab, of course:

and "Alfie", aka "Pup" the pitbull:

SassyLady
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Rocky is the mini-schnauzer on the left and is about seven-eight now....my best buddy.

Bear is black lab in middle ... he's in heaven with the rest of the family pets....left us a few year ago.

Zander is mutt on right .... loves to chase buzzards. He might last a couple more years...has bad joints.

Bestest dogs ever!!!!

pegwinn
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Well Dang. If we are gonna put up the kids pictures........ Sadie is about 4 give or take and is really smart. Beagle/Heeler mix and stubborn as a mule. In the foreground is a soggy tennis ball after a couple of hours of continuous fetch. She'll pick it up, and bring it to you. She will set it down and wait for you to throw it again. Other tricks (like sit, stay, don't be stupid, and bark) require a milk bone or a piece of cut up hotdog.

Jess
01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
Well Dang. If we are gonna put up the kids pictures........ Sadie is about 4 give or take and is really smart. Beagle/Heeler mix and stubborn as a mule. In the foreground is a soggy tennis ball after a couple of hours of continuous fetch. She'll pick it up, and bring it to you. She will set it down and wait for you to throw it again. Other tricks (like sit, stay, don't be stupid, and bark) require a milk bone or a piece of cut up hotdog.

Beagle/Heeler? OMG! Wow, bet that is an interesting personality. ;)

At our boys' school, there's a dad who brings the family dog to pick kids up. Beagle/basset mix. Cute little bugger. But I wouldn't want to be trying to deal with that. LOL!

pegwinn
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
"Bailey" was a dog in my care frequently until she had to be put to sleep about two weeks ago. The vet thought her to be a golden retriever/chow mix.

The other four-legged kids in that family are "Angus", a Lab, of course:

and "Alfie", aka "Pup" the pitbull:

Pup looks like my kids did when I tried to explain why History and Traditions was an important class for them to sit thru. Kinda quizzical in a 'can i go now?" sort of way.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jess again.