PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy of an Epidemic: Psychiatric Drugs and the Rise of Mental Illness in America

chloe
01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
The percentage of Americans disabled by “mental illness” has increased dramatically since 1955, when Thorazine – remembered today as psychiatry’s first “wonder” drug – was introduced into the market.

There are now nearly 6 million Americans disabled by “mental illness”, and this number increases by more than 400 people each day. A review of the scientific literature reveals that it is our drug-based paradigm of care that is fueling this epidemic. The drugs increase the likelihood that a person will become chronically ill, and induce new and more severe psychiatric symptoms, often psychiatric drug-induced, in a significant percentage of patients.

E. Fuller Torrey, in his 2001 book The Invisible Plague, concluded that insanity had risen to the level of an epidemic. This epidemic has unfolded in lockstep with the ever-increasing use of prescription psychiatric drugs.

The number of disabled “mentally ill” has increased nearly six-fold since Thorazine was introduced.

The number of disabled “mentally ill” has also increased dramatically since 1987, the year Prozac was introduced.

Anti-psychotics, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety drugs create perturbations in neurotransmitter functions. In response, the brain goes through a series of compensatory adaptations. Neurons both release less serotonin and down-regulate (or decrease) their number of serotonin receptors. The density of serotonin receptors in the brain may decrease by 50% or more. After a few weeks, the patient’s brain is functioning in a manner that is qualitatively as well as quantitatively different from the normal state.

Conditions that disrupt brain chemistry may cause delusions, hallucinations, disordered thinking, and mood swings – the symptoms of insanity. Infectious agents, tumors, metabolic and toxic disorders and various diseases could all affect the brain in this manner. Psychiatric medications also disrupt brain chemistry. Psychotropic drugs also increase the likelihood that a person will become chronically ill, and they cause a significant percentage of patients to become ill in new and more severe ways.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=22563

9IdFj5TQfoc

We talked about this in class today, it was pretty interesting.

ConHog
01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
IMO many cases of mental illness are people who just need to learn to deal. There's nothing wrong with them that a good swift kick in the ass wouldn't cure.

Jess
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
IMO many cases of mental illness are people who just need to learn to deal. There's nothing wrong with them that a good swift kick in the ass wouldn't cure.

I agree partially, CH.

People may need to learn to deal but not everybody can learn by the kick in the butt. Some people need to see the reality/logic of things and then they can work through it.

chloe
01-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Some people have a genetic disorder, like schizophrenics and there is not much that can be done.

ConHog
01-10-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree partially, CH.

People may need to learn to deal but not everybody can learn by the kick in the butt. Some people need to see the reality/logic of things and then they can work through it.

I see all these kids at our school who are labeled as AD this and AD that. And while in SOME cases I think those kids might have real medical problems, I also KNOW that in many of those cases if their parents would kick their asses they would be "cured"

In my day if you were fucking off in class and the principal called dad you were getting your ass kicked. Nowadays the principle is likely to get bitched out by dad for not "understanding" the kid.

gabosaurus
01-10-2012, 12:36 PM
A lot of kids have real problems. Others are merely over medicated by lazy assembly line doctors who gets their patients from health care companies.

But there are other cases as well. Should we kick them in the butt and call their bluff?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/38658.php

ConHog
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
A lot of kids have real problems. Others are merely over medicated by lazy assembly line doctors who gets their patients from health care companies.

But there are other cases as well. Should we kick them in the butt and call their bluff?

Many SHOULD be yes. I didn't say all.

revelarts
01-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I've heard many nutritionist have taken care of many children's "mental" problems by the proper minerals and vitamins.
there are some problems like Chole mentioned that have been around forever and is pretty much the same around the world. from what i've seen it looks like the big pharma has found a gold mine and many Psysch docs are coming up with mental diseases and problems for big pharma to medicate.

some poor kids are even getting druged up for "psych" problems as babies now. that's plain evil IMHO.

Dilloduck
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Parents ask Drs. to give their kids medication. A Dr can't force them on a minor without a court order. Let's place the blame where it belongs.

revelarts
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Parents ask Drs. to give their kids medication. A Dr can't force them on a minor without a court order. Let's place the blame where it belongs.

true the parents have to take their responsibility however if your at the doc and he says your child needs to take xyz and your a trusting soul. "the doc knows best" then hey I put more blame on the doc.. he knows better -should at least- and the parent is just an ignorant dupe. Also many times the school write home to the parents that the child is "disruptive" etc. and recommends the docs.and maybe meds are needed. So the parent is concerned and ignorant again. while the schools and docs instigate meds for lil kids that don't need um IMO.

Dilloduck
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
It's way past time that people with some sort of authority or stack of sheepskins be treated like gods. Trust them at your own risk. Our country is full of quacks and power tripping authority figures.

chloe
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM

When a recommendation is made to be medicated that seems questionable we should question it.

I think the trend is to trust the Doctor or Therapist in most instances, not everyone goes along with it and some people need it legitimately but most people don't need it.

gabosaurus
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
When a recommendation is made to be medicated that seems questionable we should question it.

I think the trend is to trust the Doctor or Therapist in most instances, not everyone goes along with it and some people need it legitimately but most people don't need it.

I do question treatment suggestions made by my daughter's doctor. Then again, I got to choose the doctor, instead of having a doctor dictated to me by a health care company.
I have heard from parents who get rushed in and out of doctor's office. Some are not even aware of what is being prescribed for their child. They are handed a prescription and herded away like cattle.
You should always ask questions.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 09:50 PM
true the parents have to take their responsibility however if your at the doc and he says your child needs to take xyz and your a trusting soul. "the doc knows best" then hey I put more blame on the doc.. he knows better -should at least- and the parent is just an ignorant dupe. Also many times the school write home to the parents that the child is "disruptive" etc. and recommends the docs.and maybe meds are needed. So the parent is concerned and ignorant again. while the schools and docs instigate meds for lil kids that don't need um IMO.

Our school NEVER recommends behavioral drugs nor a medical doctor for behavioral problems.

Jess
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM

It is the job of parents to know their kid better than doctors do. A doctor only sees my child once a year or so and that is only for a brief time. It is my responsibility to do what is in the best interest of my child, not just follow what the doc says. Personally, I've had to do just that.

Some schools DO get monies for however many kids they have on meds. Again though, it is the parents' job to see if the child has a legitimate problem or if it is something that can be handled by discipline, reward, more attention, different diet, different schedule, different habits, etc.

(These comments were not directed at you personally, rev, just using the ubiquitous "you".)

Those of us who are parents have the responsibility and obligation to do what is best for our children. Sadly, many parents fail miserably and the children suffer most.

Jess
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Our school NEVER recommends behavioral drugs nor a medical doctor for behavioral problems.

We have an awesome school too. Considering that one of the boys has been having issues and his teacher hasn't pulled out all her hair yet only solidifies my opinion of our school and the staff.

That being said, the teacher mentioned above told me that another child brought in a note from their parent saying their child WAS being put on meds. The teacher said this kid didn't cause as much trouble, errrrrr ... was not as spirited as mine is and she didn't understand why they were putting the kid on the meds.