PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Naval rescues of Iranians in Strait of Hormuz

Thunderknuckles
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/10/us-navy-rescues-distressed-iranians-at-sea-for-second-time/

So today we have the second time in the last week the U.S. has rescued Iranian fisherman in the Strait of Hormuz. The first was a rescue from pirates, today was a rescue from a boat having engine problems where 1 Iranian was treated for burns.
Is it me or does it seem like the U.S. is going out of its way to help Iranians at sea, for even minor issues, in order to score sympathy points with folks in the region since Iran started threatening to close the Strait and warned us to stay out?

Maybe we do this kind of thing all of the time in the Strait of Hormuz and elsewhere and never hear about it under normal circumstances.

darin
01-10-2012, 02:28 PM
The Navy - most vessels at sea, I suspect - would do Anything required of them for humanitarian reasons. Nationality of those in need of help be damned.

ConHog
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
The Navy - most vessels at sea, I suspect - would do Anything required of them for humanitarian reasons. Nationality of those in need of help be damned.

I believe that's the rule of the sea and most sailors whether military or civilian would cut a captain's throat if he tried to do otherwise. I know my grandfather used to tell stories of the ship he sailed on WWII rescuing Japanese sailors or airmen all the time. And he was in the US Navy.

logroller
01-10-2012, 03:11 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/10/us-navy-rescues-distressed-iranians-at-sea-for-second-time/

So today we have the second time in the last week the U.S. has rescued Iranian fisherman in the Strait of Hormuz. The first was a rescue from pirates, today was a rescue from a boat having engine problems where 1 Iranian was treated for burns.
Is it me or does it seem like the U.S. is going out of its way to help Iranians at sea, for even minor issues, in order to score sympathy points with folks in the region since Iran started threatening to close the Strait and warned us to stay out?

Maybe we do this kind of thing all of the time in the Strait of Hormuz and elsewhere and never hear about it under normal circumstances.
From the SOLAS convention

... the master of a ship (http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/S/Ship.aspx) at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance, on receiving a signal from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and rescue service that the ship (http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/S/Ship.aspx) is doing so.
This is but one maritime law; but most read similarly. If a ship's master is unable or unwilling to respond, (say, in the case of military ship, the mission would be compromised), the reason shall be written in the ship's logbook. Pending the reason being found unjustified, failure to respond is a crime under international law and most nations as well.

Interestingly, there were cases during WWII where Allied ships rescued the sailors of the ships they had just sunk. Going so far as providing burial honors for those rescued that had succumbed to injuries. Do unto others I suppose.

edit.oops, guess I should have read through the whole thread before posting; good to have corraboration though:cheers2:

Thunderknuckles
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
So we do it all the time then as a matter of maritime law and etiquette.
I still think today's rescue was reported for win the PR war with Iran. You don't hear much about the Cost Guard rescuing boats with engine problems unless it happens in your local neck of the woods and shows up in the local news paper.

Gunny
01-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Ever been there? The Iranians will come out in their little speed boats and "chase" a carrier armed with Sea-Whiz's and shake their fists at us. It's like a pitiful joke. If they even so much as hit that LHD, a guided missle cruiser is right on our tail along with a sub.

I'm all for them trying to shut down the Strait of Hormuz. Let's push an issue and create a situation. Dead meat's all the outcome is going to be.

ConHog
01-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Ever been there? The Iranians will come out in their little speed boats and "chase" a carrier armed with Sea-Whiz's and shake their fists at us. It's like a pitiful joke. If they even so much as hit that LHD, a guided missle cruiser is right on our tail along with a sub.

I'm all for them trying to shut down the Strait of Hormuz. Let's push an issue and create a situation. Dead meat's all the outcome is going to be.

What's that have to do with rescuing Iranians?

Gunny
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
What's that have to do with rescuing Iranians?

The Iranians have been threatening to try and close the Strait. I'm all for it. Let 'em. It'll work like a charm.

logroller
01-10-2012, 03:56 PM
So we do it all the time then as a matter of maritime law and etiquette.
I still think today's rescue was reported for win the PR war with Iran. You don't hear much about the Cost Guard rescuing boats with engine problems unless it happens in your local neck of the woods and shows up in the local news paper.
Such things MUST be recorded according to maritime law and usually reported to the country under which it sails; but given the strained relations, of course some PR interest exist; mostly protective IMO. Wouldn't want the story to break elsewhere about navy ships setting a Iranian ship ablaze with lasers :laugh:... anybody smell a cover up? :tinfoil:

Gunny
01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Such things MUST be recorded according to maritime law and usually reported to the country under which it sails; but given the strained relations, of course some PR interest exist; mostly protective IMO. Wouldn't want the story to break elsewhere about navy ships setting a Iranian ship ablaze with lasers :laugh:... anybody smell a cover up? :tinfoil:

Set ups are cool.

fj1200
01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

In the early morning hours of January 10th the U.S. Coast Guard (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/10/us-navy-rescues-distressed-iranians-at-sea-for-second-time/#)
Cutter Monomoy responded to flares fired from the Iranian cargo dhow, Ya-Hussayn, which was experiencing engine troubles 50 miles off the coast of Iraq.
Silly question... why is the Coast Guard there?

ConHog
01-11-2012, 10:14 AM

Guarding the coast of course.

:laugh: , hey ask a silly question.............

logroller
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Trying to earn some respect from the other branches of the military?

Nice skirt of the Iranian posturing though; well you said the US navy...not the Coast Guard.