PDA

View Full Version : It's National Pizza Week! How to find the perfect slice

Shadow
01-11-2012, 09:17 AM
Colin Hagendorf is a venerable slice expert. The Brooklyn native recently completed his quest (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203935604577064641987645430.html) to eat at every pizza slice joint in Manhattan, chronicling his 370-plus slice binge on his blog Slice Harvester (http://www.sliceharvester.com/). In honor of National Pizza Week, Hagendorf, 28, offers his tips for finding pizza nirvana.
“All of your senses are part of the experience,” Hagendorf told TODAY.com. “You don’t hold your nose or wear gloves when eating pizza.”

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/10/10093127-its-national-pizza-week-how-to-find-the-perfect-slice

Apparently it's national pizza week. So share your favorite toppings,pizza place or recipes.

My favorite place to go out for pizza is a place called Mario's....but, they serve more than just pizza. Great food.

As for toppings...I like everything (except pepperoni). We will usually either order a supreme. Or sausage (maybe canadian bacon),mushroom,black olive and green chili.

Yum.

darin
01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
EXCEPT Peperoni? Holy cow.

Flat slightly greasy NY Style Peperoni pizza is exactly what i'm talking about - always. :)

ConHog
01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Colin Hagendorf is a venerable slice expert. The Brooklyn native recently completed his quest (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203935604577064641987645430.html) to eat at every pizza slice joint in Manhattan, chronicling his 370-plus slice binge on his blog Slice Harvester (http://www.sliceharvester.com/). In honor of National Pizza Week, Hagendorf, 28, offers his tips for finding pizza nirvana.
“All of your senses are part of the experience,” Hagendorf told TODAY.com. “You don’t hold your nose or wear gloves when eating pizza.”

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/10/10093127-its-national-pizza-week-how-to-find-the-perfect-slice

Apparently it's national pizza week. So share your favorite toppings,pizza place or recipes.

My favorite place to go out for pizza is a place called Mario's....but, they serve more than just pizza. Great food.

As for toppings...I like everything (except pepperoni). We will usually either order a supreme. Or sausage (maybe canadian bacon),mushroom,black olive and green chili.

Yum.

Rarely eat pizza out. The boy has worked at Pizza Hutt for the last 3 years. Kinda sick of it.

BUT when I do eat it, my favorite topping is pepperoni and jalapenos.

darin
01-11-2012, 09:26 AM

add on 'bacon' and you'll be good to go. :)

ConHog
01-11-2012, 09:29 AM
add on 'bacon' and you'll be good to go. :)

LOL

truthfully I don't care for Canadian bacon at all.

now we did get a breakfast pizza at our local Casey's the other day, it had eggs, real bacon and cheese and salsa on it, pretty damned good.

Shadow
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Rarely eat pizza out. The boy has worked at Pizza Hutt for the last 3 years. Kinda sick of it.

Can relate to this actually. For about a year when my ex was between jobs,he delivered pizza for Papa John's nights and weekends. Always brought home pizza's that were ordered and not picked up by customers by closing time.

I gained most of my extra weight that year due to that...and I can't eat Papa John's anymore either.

darin
01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
LOL

truthfully I don't care for Canadian bacon at all.

I mean real, good, ol' fashioned bacon. Straight from a pack of bacon.

:)

CSM
01-11-2012, 09:47 AM

Flat slightly greasy NY Style Peperoni pizza is exactly what i'm talking about - always. :)

Yep ... that's me too.

Shadow
01-11-2012, 09:55 AM

I will eat peperoni on a pizza...it's just not my first choice.

Speaking of Papa John's though...they do make a really good vegitarian pizza. Something else I learned when the ex worked there,I probably wouldn't have ever ordered one myself.

darin
01-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I haven't had a good papa-john's pizza. :(

Shadow
01-11-2012, 10:01 AM

Well...really good pizza places are slim pickens out here in NM...you take what you can get.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
My sister makes a homemade vegetable pizza that is not bad. it has ranch dressing instead of tomota sauce and is a cold pizza. I know i know, but it's awesome. Just not traditional.

Yep ... that's me too.

Every once in awhile I like the thinner NY style , but I love me some pan pizza when I am eating pizza.

Can't stand the stuffed crust crap though.

DragonStryk72
01-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm a great lover of many types of pizza. However, my regular order from Papa John's is a large Spinach Alfredo pizza with Mushrooms and Chicken. In general, though, I like the less pretty pizzas, the ones where you can feel your arteries harden just looking at it.

darin
01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Every once in awhile I like the thinner NY style , but I love me some pan pizza when I am eating pizza.

Can't stand the stuffed crust crap though.

Chicago/Deep Dish pizza is...I dunno...weird. It's a MEAL...too much of a meal for my tastes. Stuffed crust stuff? I agree..just wrong. Course, if it were stuffed with BACON...maybe.

:D

Examples of perfect-looking pizza:

ConHog
01-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Chicago/Deep Dish pizza is...I dunno...weird. It's a MEAL...too much of a meal for my tastes. Stuffed crust stuff? I agree..just wrong. Course, if it were stuffed with BACON...maybe.

Examples of perfect-looking pizza:

Hmm, short women, fast cars, and bacon. Me thinks you and I could be friends. :coffee:

Oh, and do you have a smoker?

darin
01-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Hmm, short women, fast cars, and bacon. Me thinks you and I could be friends. :coffee:

Oh, and do you have a smoker?

No, I don't have a smoker. Just a Weber upon which to grill. :(

ConHog
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM

No, I don't have a smoker. Just a Weber upon which to grill. :(

GET A SMOKER!!!!!!!!!!! It will change your life, seriously.

Mine's just a cheapie little electric smoker, I bought it for $75 at Sam's Club. then once you have that , I'll post my Fattie recipe. MMMMMMMMMMMMM oh god, so good, I gain 10 lbs just thinking about it.

darin
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
GET A SMOKER!!!!!!!!!!! It will change your life, seriously.

Mine's just a cheapie little electric smoker, I bought it for $75 at Sam's Club. then once you have that , I'll post my Fattie recipe. MMMMMMMMMMMMM oh god, so good, I gain 10 lbs just thinking about it.

We've kicked around the idea, for sure.

re: short women. My wife is about 6' tall in heels. :( Attractive woman I suppose - just not "my type" per se. :) We went to see Breaking Dawn monday - mary wore high-heeled black leather boots (nearly up to knees) with Jeans and a cami under an off-white sweater. She looked stunning - amazonian - but stunning.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM
We've kicked around the idea, for sure.

re: short women. My wife is about 6' tall in heels. :( Attractive woman I suppose - just not "my type" per se. :) We went to see Breaking Dawn monday - mary wore high-heeled black leather boots (nearly up to knees) with Jeans and a cami under an off-white sweater. She looked stunning - amazonian - but stunning.

My wife, by the way her name is Heather, funny name for a Mexican woman no? LOL, anyway she's 5'4" . Oh and this morning for the first time ever she won our race.

Let me explain, we run 5 miles every morning. I'd been running for quite some time before she came alone so at first, she couldn't run the 5 miles, let alone keep up, so we started out shorter and worked our way back up to my 5 miles. Anyway, we run together, we don't race the entire 5 miles, it's just our time to be alone. But at end of the run it is 200 yards from our gate to our front porch and it's a flat out sprint as we race the last 200 yards. She's gotten close a few times, and once I let her beat me (she knew it to and told me I better not EVER let her beat me again) but this morning , she won. She told me she would eventually, and this morning, she did.

Good for her.

darin
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
^^ worthless without pics.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
^^ worthless without pics.

The wife is adamant about no pics online, for personal reasons, sorry.

fj1200
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM

And you have to hold it just right so that the grease drains off. :coffee:

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. Yum.

Abbey Marie
01-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Finding the perfect slice: The ONLY way is to go to NYC. :cool:

DragonStryk72
01-11-2012, 03:01 PM

I don't know, shitty jersey pizza definitely has it's place as well

darin
01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
The wife is adamant about no pics online, for personal reasons, sorry.

My wife is fine with it. :)

I kid...that's not her. Just a hot chick from TV. :)

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Here in NY, almost every pizzeria I have been to has good pizza. Don't know what it is, but you can never go wrong. This of course excludes the chains, I'm talking about hometown pizzerias. We do have one in the next town over, Sal's Pizzeria. They have the best. The guy has every sports figure picture and autograph on the walls. His pizza is so widely known that people come from all over to try. Joe Torre was a regular until he went out to La La Land.

Everyone likes so many different toppings and ways to make it. The best is the regular old thin crust plain slice!

ConHog
01-11-2012, 03:19 PM

The wife has never been to NYC. We're planning a trip next year. We're gonna do the whole tourist thing. Where would those that know recommend is THE place to go for a slice? I'm talking about the Geno's or the Rendevouz of NYC here.

Abbey Marie
01-11-2012, 03:36 PM
The wife has never been to NYC. We're planning a trip next year. We're gonna do the whole tourist thing. Where would those that know recommend is THE place to go for a slice? I'm talking about the Geno's or the Rendevouz of NYC here.

It's been a while since I've lived or worked there, so I will defer to others, like Jim, who still eat there regularly. When the time gets closer, I can speak to a few spots to see, though.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
It's been a while since I've lived or worked there, so I will defer to others, like Jim, who still eat there regularly. When the time gets closer, I can speak to a few spots to see, though.

It's a year away, and we have a different vacation planned before then, yet the wife is already planning away. She is the consummate planner. If we're going to a Yankees game (and we ARE going to a Yankees game) she will have bought tickets at least 6 months in advance and have our itinerary planned right down to the minute we should enter Yankee Stadium. Hell she's already checking subway schedules. She's bought about 4 books on traveling to NYC, including one on food, but we don't always trust the opinions inn those books.

Oh, and were gonna stay in the Waldorf for a night, like $800, best be a damn fine room that includes a hooker; errr I mean butler.

Shadow
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
And you have to hold it just right so that the grease drains off. :coffee:

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. Yum.

Our neighborhood Pizza Hut runs a special every once in awhile...BBQ Pizza. My kids love it,and it's actually pretty good (I didn't think I would like it). Another one popular with the kids...Taco Pizza.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Our neighborhood Pizza Hut runs a special every once in awhile...BBQ Pizza. My kids love it,and it's actually pretty good (I didn't think I would like it). Another one popular with the kids...Taco Pizza.

Got any Casey's near you? Best taco pizza I've ever had. Pretty good breakfast pizza to.

my kid hates it when Pizza Hutt has a special. :laugh:

Shadow
01-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Got any Casey's near you? Best taco pizza I've ever had. Pretty good breakfast pizza to.

my kid hates it when Pizza Hutt has a special. :laugh:

No..we have a CiCi's...kinda like a pizza buffet that makes a lot of different combinations of pizza,also a gourmet kinda pizza place called Scarpa's. Then the usual Dion's,Domino's,Pizza Hut,Papa John's and little Caesar's (and a few other less known places that I have never been to).

DragonStryk72
01-12-2012, 03:41 AM
No..we have a CiCi's...kinda like a pizza buffet that makes a lot of different combinations of pizza,also a gourmet kinda pizza place called Scarpa's. Then the usual Dion's,Domino's,Pizza Hut,Papa John's and little Caesar's (and a few other less known places that I have never been to).

Ah yes, Cici's. Albany just got it's own about a year ago. Great place to go

logroller
01-12-2012, 04:44 AM
There's a place, Me-n-ed's, they have a hot hawaiian pizza that is simply amazing. I've tried duplicating it, never have got it right though; I think its the sauce--White garlic alfredo sauce topped with Canadian bacon, pineapple, bacon, BBQ glazed chicken and finished with jalapenos.

darin
01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Here in NY, almost every pizzeria I have been to has good pizza. Don't know what it is, but you can never go wrong. This of course excludes the chains, I'm talking about hometown pizzerias. We do have one in the next town over, Sal's Pizzeria. They have the best. The guy has every sports figure picture and autograph on the walls. His pizza is so widely known that people come from all over to try. Joe Torre was a regular until he went out to La La Land.

Everyone likes so many different toppings and ways to make it. The best is the regular old thin crust plain slice!

Some day I'll make the 11-hour drive, and you can buy me a piece of Sal's Pizza. :)

ConHog
01-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Some day I'll make the 11-hour drive, and you can buy me a piece of Sal's Pizza. :)

Sounds like maybe the place to put on our list.

darin
01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Sounds like maybe the place to put on our list.

Jim's house? Think Jim would host a DebatePolicy DebaucheryParty?

ConHog
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Jim's house? Think Jim would host a DebatePolicy DebaucheryParty?

If he does, I'm bringing him a Tim Tebow fat head as a host gift. :laugh2: