PDA

View Full Version : Heel pain

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
This started a few days ago and seems to be getting worse. It's the heel area, but on the sole of my foot. Ever stretch the "arch" of your foot and get that stinging pain, that generally lasts a few seconds and then subsides? I'm getting that but all the way to the back of my foot. Doesn't matter if I'm sleeping, sitting or working out, if I happen to stretch that portion of my foot, it HURTS like hell!

Any ideas?

logroller
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
This started a few days ago and seems to be getting worse. It's the heel area, but on the sole of my foot. Ever stretch the "arch" of your foot and get that stinging pain, that generally lasts a few seconds and then subsides? I'm getting that but all the way to the back of my foot. Doesn't matter if I'm sleeping, sitting or working out, if I happen to stretch that portion of my foot, it HURTS like hell!

Any ideas?

Its probably diabetes, drink less soda...j/k :laugh:

Tons of ligaments in your foot which almost never get a chance to heal. Ice it for ten min, then heat for ten. Three times a day if possible. and get some new insoles for your shoes. If nothing after a week or two, try a doctor...
edit: oh yea, if it hurts to stretch it--DON'T, that only strains it further.

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Its probably diabetes, drink less soda...j/k :laugh:

Tons of ligaments in your foot which almost never get a chance to heal. Ice it for ten min, then heat for ten. Three times a day if possible. and get some new insoles for your shoes. If nothing after a week or two, try a doctor...

Been soaking it a bit in the tub but haven't tried the cold yet. I didn't even think you could move that portion of your foot let alone injure a muscle or ligament there! Thanks for the tips, Doc!

darin
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Hurt worse in the mornings? Could be plantar fasciitis.

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM

I'm afraid to even look that horrible looking name up? Is it a technical term for "fat body crushing heel"? LOL

logroller
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Been soaking it a bit in the tub but haven't tried the cold yet. I didn't even think you could move that portion of your foot let alone injure a muscle or ligament there! Thanks for the tips, Doc!
NSAIDs, (advil/motrin etc) for the pain and you can go way over the recommended dosage, easily double it...just take it plenty of water, not just coffee-- as both are hard on the stomach.
The ice reduces swelling, and the heat promotes better blood flow for healing-- kinda counter-intuitive IMHO, but that's the treatment prescribed for all ligament and muscle strains. Which is especially important for the foot since blood flow to the feet is minimal. Been there, done that. Asked the podiatrist about surgery once on a ganglion cyst, which is a fluid pocket that develops around a damaged ligament, on the top of my foot which was causing me pain and he said deal with it, surgery would probably make it worse. That's the advice I got for $50, buts its free to you sir.:thumb:

ConHog
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Remove foot.

Problem solved.

I'll email you my paypal so you can pay the consultation fee.

darin
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid to even look that horrible looking name up? Is it a technical term for "fat body crushing heel"? LOL

Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot.

Longstanding cases of plantar fasciitis often demonstrate more degenerative changes than inflammatory changes, in which case they are termed plantar fasciosis.[1] The suffix "osis" implies a pathology of chronic degeneration without inflammation. Since tendons and ligaments do not contain blood vessels, they do not actually become inflamed. Instead, injury to the tendon is usually the result of an accumulation over time of microscopic tears at the cellular level.

The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It has been reported that plantar fasciitis occurs in two million Americans a year and in 10% of the U.S. population over a lifetime.[2] It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing. Among non-athletic populations, it is associated with a high body mass index.[3] The pain is usually felt on the underside of the heel and is often most intense with the first steps of the day. Another symptom is that the sufferer has difficulty bending the foot so that the toes are brought toward the shin (decreased dorsiflexion of the ankle). A symptom commonly recognized among sufferers of plantar fasciitis is an increased probability of knee pains, especially among runners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

I've had it since 1998, non-stop. :( Every day.

logroller
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM

Your doctor will usually first recommend:

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation

Heel stretching exercises

Resting as much as possible for at least a week

Wearing shoes with good support and cushions

Other steps to relieve pain include:

Apply ice to the painful area. Do this at least twice a day for 10 - 15 minutes, more often in the first couple of days.

Try wearing a heel cup, felt pads in the heel area, or shoe inserts.

Use night splints to stretch the injured fascia and allow it to heal

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/#adam_007021.disease.treatment

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
NSAIDs, (advil/motrin etc) for the pain and you can go way over the recommended dosage, easily double it...just take it plenty of water, not just coffee-- as both are hard on the stomach.
The ice reduces swelling, and the heat promotes better blood flow for healing-- kinda counter-intuitive IMHO, but that's the treatment prescribed for all ligament and muscle strains. Which is especially important for the foot since blood flow to the feet is minimal. Been there, done that. Asked the podiatrist about surgery once on a ganglion cyst, which is a fluid pocket that develops around a damaged ligament, on the top of my foot which was causing me pain and he said deal with it, surgery would probably make it worse. That's the advice I got for $50, buts its free to you sir.:thumb:

I've been taking Advil which doesn't seem to do anything for it, but then again, I am going out of my way to keep from stretching it. While I don't need to limp, I've been purposely walking "flat footed" to prevent bending or making it hurt.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004438/#adam_007021.disease.treatment

Great, so now maybe my little foot pain is turning into a damn disease, or something that even Darin has had to deal with for 13 years????!!!! You fu$%ers better be wrong! :laugh2:

darin
01-11-2012, 01:15 PM

thanks man - been through every possible remedy or treatment short of surgery- which is likely my next option

logroller
01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Eek DMP, 13 years; feel for ya man. I have a diagnosed hyper-mobile knee; meaning it hyper-extends easily. Been that way since I was 15. I opted out of surgery because of the down time required after. But as time passes, I regret not having done earlier in life, as recovery and healing is longer as one gets older.

Oh, and I just remembered heat treatment is for muscles only, not ligaments. (As ligaments and connective tissue have no blood vessels, the heat induced blood flow is to no avail. )

Great, so now maybe my little foot pain is turning into a damn disease, or something that even Darin has had to deal with for 13 years????!!!! You fu$%ers better be wrong! :laugh2:

hey, don't shoot the messengers and, FWIW, it was listed under 'diseases and conditions'. Diseases, as I under understand them, can be mortal afflictions; so unless DMP is a walking miracle (not to say he isn't for other reasons), I assume it to be a condition. :laugh:

So to conclude, Control pain, lay off heavy exercise (esp. impact), ice it as much as possible for week and get some inserts for your shoes--and use them, even around the house. Then work stretching in, slowly.

This just reminds me how out of shape I am. When I was young I could just go 110% whenever; now I fear such conditions as the one we've 'diagnosed' here. I've always been taught that proper stretching is key to physical fitness, but I've forgotten the routines I'd done in the past. Might be a good thread to start maybe-- does anybody have a good calisthenic routine?

Mr. P
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM

Any ideas?

Pull it out of yer mouth! :laugh:

Seriously though, there is some affliction that comes with age, but I think yer to young for that..Who knows?

jimnyc
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Pull it out yer mouth! :laugh:

I hate you! LOL

CSM
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
......This just reminds me how out of shape I am. When I was young I could just go 110% whenever; now I fear such conditions as the one we've 'diagnosed' here. I've always been taught that proper stretching is key to physical fitness, but I've forgotten the routines I'd done in the past. Might be a good thread to start maybe-- does anybody have a good calisthenic routine?

Hmm check out the "fitness" forum here on the board. I will say that there are some very good routines out there but if you haven't done anything for a while, take it VERY EASY getting started. My biggest fear is hurting myself because it takes me too darned long to recover from any injury at my age. I like doing crossfit but you can bet your bottom dollar I modify the routines to something I can handle:

http://crossfit.com/

There is a section in there for getting started too.

Little-Acorn
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Any ideas?

I've gotten that a few times. With me it looks like it was fallen arches (I had it in both feet), aka flat feet.

First time I got a couple rolls of white cloth first-aid tape, and started laying down strips in the middle of my shoes from front to back. Put more and shorter strips in the middle, building up the part under the arches, until it arched smoothly and was maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick in the middle. Felt odd at first, but eventually (1-1/2 week or so) the pain went away and didn't return.

Basically I built up fairly-solid arch supports.

I've gotten it a few times since then, including right now. This time I got some 1/16" thick aluminum at the hobby shop (metal supply stores have it too), cu out some approx. D-shaped pieces (one for each foot), smoothed and rounded the edges, then bent them slightly into an arch shape, maybe 3/8 inch at the highest point. Right foot is fine now, left foot still has a problem, not sure why. Some day I may break down and actually see a podiatrist.

When I first put these metal arches in my shoes, again it felt weird. I refer to it as "walking on mountaintops". Becomes less noticeable as your feet get used to them, also as your arches press back into their proper shape. Body weight during ordinary walking, does the pressing.

Try it, who knows, you may like it. Got anything better to do?

SassyLady
01-12-2012, 12:22 AM

:laugh:

Gunny
01-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Your arch is most likely plantar fascitis. Your heel could be several things. Heel bruises are common. So are heel spurs. The latter require surgery. The former requires rest.

Missileman
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Prednisone cleared my plantar fasciitis up in a few days.

jimnyc
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM
I bought a set of soles with "better" arches to see if that helps overall. In addition to that, trying to ice/heat it when I have downtime.

Ever lay on your back and lift your legs straight up in the air, as if to do the "bicycle" exercise? That's when it REALLY hurts, as if the blood flowing, or gravity, is aggravating it. It's also bad when I first get up. Funny thing is, it rarely hurts from walking, mostly stretching it at certain angles and certain pressures.

I'm going to give it another week of babying it and see if it gets any better, then maybe see a doctor and at least get an xray.

Gunny
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Any ideas?

My next idea would be possibly heel spurs. In layman's terms, calcium deposits on your bones that impinge your tendons/ligaments and cause pain. The only cure for those I know is surgery.

Back to the original comment of yours, if you're getting cramps in your aches, try taking extra potassium and cutting down on the :alcoholic:

You could also try one of those Dr Scholl's displays that has a foot-thing you stand on and it tells you what kind of inserts you need. Even if you don't want the inserts, it could give you an idea, what's wrong.

The BEST bet is go to a podiatrist. Why not? Obama says he'll pay for it.

Jeff
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Jim I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years now, it gets so bad I cant walk period, I have to use crutches but MM is exactly right a shot of Prednisone is what the Doc did for me and it felt 100% better the next day with in a couple days back to normal

That's what I thought was going on a couple weeks ago when they admitted me into the hospital for a infection, welcome to my world Jim, LOL

Gunny
01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Jim I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years now, it gets so bad I cant walk period, I have to use crutches but MM is exactly right a shot of Prednisone is what the Doc did for me and it felt 100% better the next day with in a couple days back to normal

That's what I thought was going on a couple weeks ago when they admitted me into the hospital for a infection, welcome to my world Jim, LOL

My ex had to have surgery on both her arches she had plantar fascitis so bad. Nothing to do with feet is fun.

darin
01-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I had a doctor inject my heel with some sorta shit. The shot hurt so f'ing bad; hurt like getting kicked in the nuts by a nut-kicking robot. Never again.

Gunny
01-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I had a doctor inject my heel with some sorta shit. The shot hurt so f'ing bad; hurt like getting kicked in the nuts by a nut-kicking robot. Never again.

Most likely hydrocortizone or hydrocortisol.

darin
01-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Most likely hydrocortizone or hydrocortisol.

I tell ya, whatever it was, sticking that needle into my fascias swollen 5 times normal size = probably the single most-painful experience of my life, other than the end of Old Yeller.

logroller
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I tell ya, whatever it was, sticking that needle into my fascias swollen 5 times normal size = probably the single most-painful experience of my life, other than the end of Old Yeller.
I make it a point to not watch the end-- even knowing how it ends, it gets me every time. :crying2:

Gunny
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM

:laugh:

Guess you've never broken a bone, huh? I think the single most painful thing I have every experienced was pleurisy. Think about something that will only not send a searing pain through your ribs with each breath if you stop breathing. Takes like 6 months to heal. Maybe less if you don't continue to go out and play basketball, lift weights and run every day.:laugh:

darin
01-23-2012, 12:05 PM
..passing a gallstone hurt like hell...but hard to compare. Once I bit through my tongue - had to get stitches in my F'ig TONGUE. Yeah - that may be the worst... :(

Gunny
01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
..passing a gallstone hurt like hell...but hard to compare. Once I bit through my tongue - had to get stitches in my F'ig TONGUE. Yeah - that may be the worst... :(

It's all relevant to experience. I cracked my left shin from almost the knee to the ankle using it as a block in a martial arts sparring match on the ship. Had a purple leg for quite awhile.:laugh: THAT hurt. However, because I could walk (spelled: h-o-b-b-l-e), they wouldn't cast it. A cast would have gotten me a free ride off the ship early. Had I known that, I might have pulled a punter's flop.:laugh: