PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Man or Emotional Cripple?

pegwinn
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
I did 22 years on Active Duty. Following that I have driven a wrecker, driven a big truck, installed auto glass, worked as a boiler operator, and tomorrow I start training to install/maintain satellite TV systems.

I normally work each job for 2-3 years and then decide it really isn't what I wanna be when I finally grow up. The wife thinks that I am stuck in the cycle that says I have to change duty stations every three years. She figures that at the two year mark I start mentally looking for a good reason to switch in anticipation of orders. I think she's thinking too much. I figure that I give each job long enough to do a good job and build skill. It is also a reasonable trial period before I decide if I want to invest the time for the long haul.

Who's right?

Edit. Oh man I screwed the spelling on the thread title. If I ever run for office I am doomed.

ConHog
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
The wife is ALWAYS right, duh!

Abbey Marie
01-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Edit. Oh man I screwed the spelling on the thread title. If I ever run for office I am doomed.

Fixed. :cool:

gabosaurus
01-11-2012, 09:17 PM
The wife is ALWAYS right, duh!

Have to agree with you on that one. :cheers2:

darin
01-13-2012, 07:37 AM
I did 22 years on Active Duty. Following that I have driven a wrecker, driven a big truck, installed auto glass, worked as a boiler operator, and tomorrow I start training to install/maintain satellite TV systems.

I normally work each job for 2-3 years and then decide it really isn't what I wanna be when I finally grow up. The wife thinks that I am stuck in the cycle that says I have to change duty stations every three years. She figures that at the two year mark I start mentally looking for a good reason to switch in anticipation of orders. I think she's thinking too much. I figure that I give each job long enough to do a good job and build skill. It is also a reasonable trial period before I decide if I want to invest the time for the long haul.

Who's right?

Think of it this way - You had 22 years training you to move jobs/positions/duty-stations, etc every few years. You're living like you've been conditioned to live. Your wife is probably right. After only 8 years in uniform I STILL get 'itchy' every few years; thinking about movin' on. :)

If you keep failing to invest in the long haul, you'll end up having not invested. But that's okay, really. Keeps things interested.

Jess
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Hmmmm ... as long as you can pay your bills, take care of your responsibilities, I'm gonna go with Renaissance Man. Jack-of-all-trades.

Life is to be lived, not just gotten through. Find the things that interest you, learn them, do them ... the more you know. Cuz GI Joe says: "Knowing is half the battle." :laugh:

Oh, and I don't understand the "emotional cripple" option. How is changing jobs in any way indicative of your emotional standing?

Mr. P
01-13-2012, 02:22 PM

Who's right?

I think you both are right. I think the more important question would be "Are we happy"? My guess is yes. I guess.:laugh:

ConHog
01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Hmmmm ... as long as you can pay your bills, take care of your responsibilities, I'm gonna go with Renaissance Man. Jack-of-all-trades.

Life is to be lived, not just gotten through. Find the things that interest you, learn them, do them ... the more you know. Cuz GI Joe says: "Knowing is half the battle." :laugh:

Oh, and I don't understand the "emotional cripple" option. How is changing jobs in any way indicative of your emotional standing?

That's why I didn't go get a new job when I left the old one, don't want to be emotionally crippled. :dance::coffee:

Jess
01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
That's why I didn't go get a new job when I left the old one, don't want to be emotionally crippled. :dance::coffee:

Just mentally? :halo9:

pegwinn
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

I like your vote. I figger that I have the skills needed to really be a multi-disciplinary foul up if I put my mind to it. :laugh:

I used emotional cripple because it sounded good. But, mindless drone (per wife's opinion on being on autopilot) would have been a better option.

Overall we are happy since the bills are paid. With the pension coming in, switching jobs really isn't hurting if the income takes a small hit. In this case, the income should rise 8-10K annually. So at least the IRS will be happy.

I just thought it was a funny 'argument' so to speak. When I announced that I was looking, she looked at her watch and commented that the timing "was about right".

pegwinn
01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
If you keep failing to invest in the long haul, you'll end up having not invested. But that's okay, really. Keeps things interested.

I figured out that another 20 something year career may not be in the cards. I like having the option to just tell them to pound sand and beat feet outta there.

I am convinced that most discipline issues in the services can be traced to an intolerable situation and no escape. Since you are locked into a contract, you cannot simply throw in the towel. Some times I thought that just having the option to be able to resign kept Officers on the job even when their current assignment sucked.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Who's right?

Your wife. We have to change duty stations every 3 years or we get really bored.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Just mentally? :halo9:

*runs to Gunny to report flaming, just KNOWING he will respond*

Gunny
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
*runs to Gunny to report flaming, just KNOWING he will respond*

Fine. Let the record shoe CH reported Jess for flaming. CH is banned for being flamed by Jess.

ConHog
01-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Fine. Let the record shoe CH reported Jess for flaming. CH is banned for being flamed by Jess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEH_ms8d1ws

Jess
01-13-2012, 09:09 PM

*Jess goes 3129 at ConHog*

Seriously dude, if you want to know how to suck up to mods/admins - ask me. I got it down like you would not believe. Of course, it's only the one mod ... :cool:

ConHog
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

Seriously dude, if you want to know how to suck up to mods/admins - ask me. I got it down like you would not believe. Of course, it's only the one mod ... :cool:

Oh please, it was obvious that I was joking, but apparently only obvious when a person is sober or something.

Anyway, I would never report you for anything.

As for sucking off a mod, Abbey maybe if we were both single, but that's it.

Gunny
01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

He's in trouble.:no:

Jess
01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
He's in trouble.:no: He's just playin', dear. Besides, I can't teach him what is obviously my gift. :halo9:

Gunny
01-13-2012, 09:17 PM
He's just playin', dear. Besides, I can't teach him what is obviously my gift. :halo9:

:slap:

Jess
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
:slap:

You tryin' to start something, jarhead?

Gunny
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
You tryin' to start something, jarhead?

When am I not? At least I can read plain English.

Jess
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
When am I not? At least I can read plain English.

And that has WHAT to do with me? I didn't pick you for your English reading skills. :cool:

pegwinn
01-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Ya know, I plumb forgot that windspeed increases the higher you get. A nice breeze at the ground gets up to about twenty-five and effin cold on the customers roof. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/weihnachten/xmas-smiley-010.gif

Other than being slower than a seven year itch, the training is going well.

I decided the wife is right. Anything more than three years on the same job is just asking for trouble.

pete311
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Sounds like you've prolly built up a nice skill set. Someone who works the same damn job for 40 years.... now that is crazy!