PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich: South Carolina will be 'Armageddon' of attacks

Shadow
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
(CNN) – Newt Gingrich said Wednesday a relentless attack from his rivals ultimately eroded his will to stay positive in the race for the GOP nomination.
Speaking with CNN's Piers Morgan, the former House speaker said Mitt Romney's refusal to disavow attack ads produced by a super PAC sponsoring his candidacy left him with no choice but to go negative.

"I concede that every effort I made to stay positive and every effort I made to talk Romney out of doing this failed," Gingrich said. "But you can't - you know you can't unilaterally disarm unless you want to get out of the race. And since this is the objective reality we have no choice."
A super PAC supporting Gingrich's own candidacy recently purchased more than $3 million of ad space in South Carolina, and is preparing to unleash a scathing attack on Romney's time as CEO of the private investment firm Bain Capital.
Gingrich didn't mince words about the battle in the Palmetto State.
"This is going to be Armageddon – they are going to come in here with everything they've got, every surrogate, every ad, every negative attack," Gingrich said. "At the same time we'll be drawing a sharp contrast between a Georgia Reagan conservative and a Massachusetts moderate who's pro-gun control, pro-choice, pro-tax increase, pro-liberal judge, and the voters of South Carolina will have to look and decide."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/11/gingrich-south-carolina-will-be-armageddon-of-attacks/?hpt=hp_bn3

fj1200
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
"This is going to be Armageddon
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/11/gingrich-south-carolina-will-be-armageddon-of-attacks/?hpt=hp_bn3

Why, Newt, Why?

jimnyc
01-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Why, Newt, Why?

Because Newt and the others know that Romney is growing and growing, and that it'll be even worse of he wins big in SC. So now they have to go into all out attack mode, which in my opinion, won't work.

fj1200
01-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Because Newt and the others know that Romney is growing and growing, and that it'll be even worse of he wins big in SC. So now they have to go into all out attack mode, which in my opinion, won't work.

True but he and Perry have been selling out their supposed principles in attacking him. Both decrying some tenets of capitalism and free markets by attacking Romney's record at Bain. I think we can trace Gingrich's decline in the polls to some of his anti-capitalist rhetoric against Romney back in IA.

jimnyc
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
True but he and Perry have been selling out their supposed principles in attacking him. Both decrying some tenets of capitalism and free markets by attacking Romney's record at Bain. I think we can trace Gingrich's decline in the polls to some of his anti-capitalist rhetoric against Romney back in IA.

And I think Romney has been fairly tame in his "attacks", except against Obama.

fj1200
01-12-2012, 11:02 AM
And I think Romney has been fairly tame in his "attacks", except against Obama.

I get that impression too, rise above the fray. I think Gingrich had his rise in the polls based on his debate tactics way back when he redirected questions away from the Republican candidates and rightly toward the administration whom they are all running against; he's moved away from that and his polls have suffered IMO.

ConHog
01-12-2012, 11:47 AM
I get that impression too, rise above the fray. I think Gingrich had his rise in the polls based on his debate tactics way back when he redirected questions away from the Republican candidates and rightly toward the administration whom they are all running against; he's moved away from that and his polls have suffered IMO.

Didn't New basically say he had to go dirty in response to Mitt? LOL

fj1200
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Didn't New basically say he had to go dirty in response to Mitt? LOL

Dunno. Do you presume Mitt went negative, relatively, or Newt's just talking?

pegwinn
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Besides lacking in any form of honorable character, Newt has a temper. What happened was his ego got pricked like a subic bar girl on payday and he lost it.

Abbey Marie
01-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Since when has politics been a game of niceties? Answer: Never.