PDA

View Full Version : My Son's TMJ and My Daughters Hearing Aids

krisy
01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Anyone have 14-15 grand layin around? :)

WE found out before Christmas that my son has TMJ (a problem with the TMJ joint in your jaw) and its being caused by an underbite. He has an underbite because his top jaw is actually to small. His dentist when he was 5 told us this,BUT said there was nothing they would do until he was a teen. WRONG! The orthodontist we are seeing now says it should have started being corrected then with retainers and other devices! This is because they could have fixed the problem as the jaws grew. Now he is almost 17 and ALMOST fully grown in that department. SUrgery is what they would like to do but that is 30-50 thousand. They believe they can fix it with braces and a down payment of 2,000 and $400 a month payment. Also,a $4,000 trip to the periodontist while the braces are on.

He was going through a ton of pain before CHristmas but it has calmed down for now. Nausea,dizziness,ear pain,exhaustion. It was horrible,over the counter meds weren't working. Poor kid,he has ear problems too,but over the years we would take him to the doc for ear pain and the doc would say nothing wrong with the ears. They would be super red. Turns out it was his jaw all this time!

My daughter,she needs new hearing aids and has for a year and a half. I'm going to apply to an organization called BCMH for kids with handicaps to get help with those.

Did I mention we are uninsured? I'm trying like crazy to get out of my job of 8 years and get into Cincinnati CHildrens Hospital. There is a job there I am super quaified for,but its super hard to get in there even tho I have a docs reference and my bro's wife has worked there for 13 years.

We work our butts off and with the high cost of utilities and food and gas,can't get ahead. We will keep going tho and I know we will get comfortable. Just wish we could get moving now on this stuff.

ConHog
01-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Anyone have 14-15 grand layin around? :)

WE found out before Christmas that my son has TMJ (a problem with the TMJ joint in your jaw) and its being caused by an underbite. He has an underbite because his top jaw is actually to small. His dentist when he was 5 told us this,BUT said there was nothing they would do until he was a teen. WRONG! The orthodontist we are seeing now says it should have started being corrected then with retainers and other devices! This is because they could have fixed the problem as the jaws grew. Now he is almost 17 and ALMOST fully grown in that department. SUrgery is what they would like to do but that is 30-50 thousand. They believe they can fix it with braces and a down payment of 2,000 and $400 a month payment. Also,a $4,000 trip to the periodontist while the braces are on.

He was going through a ton of pain before CHristmas but it has calmed down for now. Nausea,dizziness,ear pain,exhaustion. It was horrible,over the counter meds weren't working. Poor kid,he has ear problems too,but over the years we would take him to the doc for ear pain and the doc would say nothing wrong with the ears. They would be super red. Turns out it was his jaw all this time!

My daughter,she needs new hearing aids and has for a year and a half. I'm going to apply to an organization called BCMH for kids with handicaps to get help with those.

Did I mention we are uninsured? I'm trying like crazy to get out of my job of 8 years and get into Cincinnati CHildrens Hospital. There is a job there I am super quaified for,but its super hard to get in there even tho I have a docs reference and my bro's wife has worked there for 13 years.

We work our butts off and with the high cost of utilities and food and gas,can't get ahead. We will keep going tho and I know we will get comfortable. Just wish we could get moving now on this stuff.

Prayers to your and your family.

Hang in there, and do some hunting on the internet, there is help out there just have to find it.

krisy
01-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Prayers to your and your family.

Hang in there, and do some hunting on the internet, there is help out there just have to find it.

That's what my mother in law said. Good thing is,once we get his retainer he has to wear that for 4 months,then he gets the braces. They believe it will start eliminating the pain by holding his mouth in a certain position. That 4 months gives us some time to get a loan or the a new job to get the income coming in.