PDA

View Full Version : Policy must match real life

tailfins
01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
To my dismay, I got a cranky introduction and even an "I don't buy it" for stating how a stint of homelessness changed my politics. Guess what folks: In many places being poor is a neon sign saying "mess with me". I challenge anyone to sit in a courtroom, ESPECIALLY one in the South and watch people being railroaded into a criminal record. Even a trivial misdemeanor can freeze people out of the job market. While I agree that Obama is spending us into a third world status, think of how many public defender's offices could have been funded with the money thrown away on Solyndra. I open with the following practical video:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUv3A4hscc0

chloe
01-14-2012, 02:56 PM
To my dismay, I got a cranky introduction and even an "I don't buy it" for stating how a stint of homelessness changed my politics. Guess what folks: In many places being poor is a neon sign saying "mess with me". I challenge anyone to sit in a courtroom, ESPECIALLY one in the South and watch people being railroaded into a criminal record. Even a trivial misdemeanor can freeze people out of the job market. While I agree that Obama is spending us into a third world status, think of how many public defender's offices could have been funded with the money thrown away on Solyndra. I open with the following practical video:

youtube.com/watch?v=mUv3A4hscc0

mUv3A4hscc0

ok what did you do wrong>?:laugh2:

tailfins
01-14-2012, 05:38 PM
ok what did you do wrong>?:laugh2:

You have to have five posts before authorization to post links. That's a nice signature you have regarding toxic people!

Gaffer
01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
You have to have five posts before authorization to post links. That's a nice signature you have regarding toxic people!

Maybe you can throw in a few more posts about yourself to get your post count up. I have a sense of where your going with things, but I'll let you go with it.

ConHog
01-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Fully fund public defender's offices huh? That's completely up to the budgets of each county isn't it?

chloe
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Thanks tailfin, so did you have trouble with the law>?

Little-Acorn
01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, it occurred to me that one of the basic differences between conservatives and modern leftists, is that conservatives expect life to shape policy; while modern leftists expect policy to shape life.

End of useless Sunday morning homily.

ConHog
01-15-2012, 02:05 PM

That sure seems like where he's going with it doesn't it?

tailfins
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Nothing major, just misdemeanor stuff homeless people typically run into. Luckily I was able to get it dismissed in exchange for giving the court the money I was going to use for a room. Good thing I was able to get enough gas money together to leave Tennessee for Massachusetts. You don't need money to get a room for your family in Massachusetts. Of course now, I'm a productive citizen making six figures. So much for "Christian charity". Only the most liberal churches in middle Tennessee help people, which made me feel bad asking for help from denominations I don't believe in. I gave my room money to a court with a Bible prominently displayed out front. If anyone cares what my new politics are: I'm for Mitt Romney.

I have seen firsthand how the poor get messed with in the South and want no part of it. It's also obvious that Obama is treating the treasury as his personal laboratory. If you don't like social conservatives and you know liberalism leads to poverty plus over-criminalization that leaves moderate Republicanism by default.

ConHog
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Nothing major, just misdemeanor stuff homeless people typically run into. Luckily I was able to get it dismissed in exchange for giving the court the money I was going to use for a room. Good thing I was able to get enough gas money together to leave Tennessee for Massachusetts. You don't need money to get a room for your family in Massachusetts. Of course now, I'm a productive citizen making six figures. So much for "Christian charity". Only the most liberal churches in middle Tennessee help people, which made me feel bad asking for help from denominations I don't believe in. I gave my room money to a court with a Bible prominently displayed out front. If anyone cares what my new politics are: I'm for Mitt Romney.

Oh come on, Are you really going to proclaim that YOUR experiences proves the norm? I go to a fairly conservative church, that I guarantee would help ANYONE who came in the door and asked.

Plus, being homeless simply isn't an excuse for committing a crime, not even simple misdemeanors.

Oh, one more thing, how much of your six figure income do you donate to help the needy?

gabosaurus
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM

I have seen firsthand how the poor get messed with in the South and want no part of it. It's also obvious that Obama is treating the treasury as his personal laboratory. If you don't like social conservatives and you know liberalism leads to poverty plus over-criminalization that leaves moderate Republicanism by default.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/8/128969223840747629.jpg

ConHog
01-15-2012, 08:35 PM

Probably from start to finish :laugh2:

Mr. P
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Yep, It smells just the same as a troll does too.

chloe
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Well I am poor and I wouldn't mind moving to the south or midwest, I just need funding, would you sponsor my education and pay for my move now that your rich since you understand how tough it is.

I would move to boston but it is pretty expensive there.

:laugh:

When you say south what state exactly was not helpful?

I want to make to sure avoid that place on my next venture.

Neo
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
When I asked Mr. Tailfin about why he was in "transiton" from conservatism, or being a conservative, I got this in reply:

Me: "Excuse me Mr. Tailfins, but what does the recession have to do with being a hard core conservative, and why would it put you in transition towards the center? With all due respect, I don't see what one has to do with the other."

Mr. Tailfin: "Being homeless last year has made me think about poverty and police harassment. Still conservative on most issues; however being poor for awhile causes one to notice new things. For example public defenders should be fully funded across the nation. Perhaps county poorhouses from the 1930s should be brought back. Being poor around conservatives churches has caused me to rethink the effectiveness of faith based charity. ANYBODY can find themselves without a roof over their head."

I, and some others reacted to this in a way that I don't think Mr. Tailfin had expected, but then what should he expect with such commentary?

Again I must ask, what does being a conservative (or conservatism for that matter) have to do with the current recession? You make it sound like the recession is the cause of right-wing policy making as oppossed to the train wreck that is Liberalism and liberal policy-making. Such is currently being brilliantly demonstrated by "The Anointed One" and the Democrat controlled Senate. The SAME Senate that has violated it's own laws and not produced a budget for the better part of three years, by the SAME President Obama who has pissed away our money on left-wing schemes, thats only intentions were to prop up the left-wing conpiracy that is big government and the unions (like the all powerful S.E.I.U.) that control it.

Bailouts and loans to the G.E.'s who don't pay taxes, and the Solyndras that take it, make themselves millionaires, and then file for bankruptcy.

How about putting the kabosh on the oil & natural gas pipeline from Canada that would have meant thosands of jobs and taxs from those jobs/ How about the drilling moratorium in the Gulf that costs us energy, jobs, taxes, properity?

How about the lavish spending on party's and vacations paid for by the tax payers? How about the continued over regulation of anything that moves?

I could go on and on with the Democrats and their malfeance in Office and how it is the true source of your financial woes, if you want to lay blame, not conservatsm.

Besides, there is no financial litmus test to be a conservative. It's not about money or who has what. It's about what is what.

Movng towards the center doesn't change any of that amigo. You've either got certain convictions or you don't.

chloe
01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm just asking him for a handout, he seems sympathetic.;)

ConHog
01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
When I asked Mr. Tailfin about why he was in "transiton" from conservatism, or being a conservative, I got this in reply:

Me: "Excuse me Mr. Tailfins, but what does the recession have to do with being a hard core conservative, and why would it put you in transition towards the center? With all due respect, I don't see what one has to do with the other."

Mr. Tailfin: "Being homeless last year has made me think about poverty and police harassment. Still conservative on most issues; however being poor for awhile causes one to notice new things. For example public defenders should be fully funded across the nation. Perhaps county poorhouses from the 1930s should be brought back. Being poor around conservatives churches has caused me to rethink the effectiveness of faith based charity. ANYBODY can find themselves without a roof over their head."

I, and some others reacted to this in a way that I don't think Mr. Tailfin had expected, but then what should he expect with such commentary?

Again I must ask, what does being a conservative (or conservatism for that matter) have to do with the current recession? You make it sound like the recession is the cause of right-wing policy making as oppossed to the train wreck that is Liberalism and liberal policy-making. Such is currently being brilliantly demonstrated by "The Anointed One" and the Democrat controlled Senate. The SAME Senate that has violated it's own laws and not produced a budget for the better part of three years, by the SAME President Obama who has pissed away our money on left-wing schemes, thats only intentions were to prop up the left-wing conpiracy that is big government and the unions (like the all powerful S.E.I.U.) that control it.

Bailouts and loans to the G.E.'s who don't pay taxes, and the Solyndras that take it, make themselves millionaires, and then file for bankruptcy.

How about putting the kabosh on the oil & natural gas pipeline from Canada that would have meant thosands of jobs and taxs from those jobs/ How about the drilling moratorium in the Gulf that costs us energy, jobs, taxes, properity?

How about the lavish spending on party's and vacations paid for by the tax payers? How about the continued over regulation of anything that moves?

I could go on and on with the Democrats and their malfeance in Office and how it is the true source of your financial woes, if you want to lay blame, not conservatsm.

Besides, there is no financial litmus test to be a conservative. It's not about money or who has what. It's about what is what.

Movng towards the center doesn't change any of that amigo. You've either got certain convictions or you don't.

I got news for you. Your conservative politicians are no better, laying the blame all on liberals is as ridiculous as those who say they had nothing to do with it.

What has to stop is blaming all one side. Who needs to be told to shut up is "wingers" of either side. The men, and women, in the middle need to start standing up and demanding that the right thing start being done.

Neo
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I got news for you. Your conservative politicians are no better, laying the blame all on liberals is as ridiculous as those who say they had nothing to do with it.

What has to stop is blaming all one side. Who needs to be told to shut up is "wingers" of either side. The men, and women, in the middle need to start standing up and demanding that the right thing start being done.

Laying the blame on Liberals is as sane as it gets. Nothing good is ever born of that political ideology and I'm sick and tired of being set back by those who think that they're smarter than me and know better how I should run my life than me.

Those are Liberals and what they do, and it just effs up the country every sngle time you let any of them near the levers of power in government.

ConHog
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Laying the blame on Liberals is as sane as it gets. Nothing good is ever born of that political ideology and I'm sick and tired of being set back by those who think that they're smarter than me and know better how I should run my life than me.

Those are Liberals and what they do, and it just effs up the country every sngle time you let any of them near the levers of power in government.

Bull, what fucks this country up is letting ANY ideological loon in power. Take RP for instance, give a "libertarian" nut like him power and things won't get better.

We need SANE people in office. Sane people by definition are sane, which means not completely set on ONE path and no deviation.

Neo
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Bull, what fucks this country up is letting ANY ideological loon in power. Take RP for instance, give a "libertarian" nut like him power and things won't get better.

We need SANE people in office. Sane people by definition are sane, which means not completely set on ONE path and no deviation.

Agreed on Libertarians. As for paths and sane people, the path I prefer is one of smaller, less intrusive government and a beefed up national security attitude. Whether someone is sane or not is a matter of opinion and I believe you've gotta be a bit loco to run for POTUS to begin with, lol.

ConHog
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Agreed on Libertarians. As for paths and sane people, the path I prefer is one of smaller, less intrusive government and a beefed up national security attitude. Whether someone is sane or not is a matter of opinion and I believe you've gotta be a bit loco to run for POTUS to begin with, lol.

Well, we can definitely agree that only a fool would actually want that job. :laugh2:

Seriously though, I just think we'll never have an answer until we in the middle start sending a message to DC that we're tired of BOTH parties thinking only what they want is important. All that does is cause them to force THEIR way onto the country and then that pisses people off and they react by voting all for the other side in the next election, and they retaliate by forcing THEIR agenda on the country. Instead of just working together.

tailfins
01-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Oh come on, Are you really going to proclaim that YOUR experiences proves the norm? I go to a fairly conservative church, that I guarantee would help ANYONE who came in the door and asked.

Plus, being homeless simply isn't an excuse for committing a crime, not even simple misdemeanors.

Oh, one more thing, how much of your six figure income do you donate to help the needy?

I hear ya' if they weren't guilty the police wouldn't have arrested them. Why bother having trials? Why not save money with arrest = conviction? Sometimes just existing is a crime. What are the technical names? Loitering, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, etc. I donate to my local church up here if it matters.

tailfins
01-15-2012, 10:36 PM

My definition of a moderate is someone who decides political things on an issue-by-issue basis. Ideology is lazy and shows lack of thought.

tailfins
01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm just asking him for a handout, he seems sympathetic.;)

If my family talked to you and felt safe about it, you could couch surf here for awhile.

chloe
01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
If my family talked to you and felt safe about it, you could couch surf here for awhile.

I was just kidden with ya, but thanks :laugh2:

revelarts
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM

Groan,

"...one of smaller, less intrusive government and a beefed up national security attitude...."
Now without putting words in anyones mouth and just taking these words at face value. the statement is a contradiction on more than one level.

You can't have a "smaller" gov't and "beef it up" at the same time.
You can't have "less intrusive gov't" and "beefed up national security" beefing up assumes the gov't surveils you and take some of your rights away for your safety or goes into other countries and intrudes on others we consider a threat. At least thats the what national security is according to some neocons types .

but maybe i misunderstand you.