PDA

View Full Version : The Weather Channel

Gunny
01-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Anyone remember when they did weather?

Instead of this pro-environmentalist/green, spattering of news and attempts at lame weather variety shows? I remember when I could get a weather forecast. Not Storm Chasers, Cantore Stories, Coat Guard Alaska, et al ad nauseum.

Mr. P
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Instead of this pro-environmentalist/green, spattering of news and attempts at lame weather variety shows? I remember when I could get a weather forecast. Not Storm Chasers, Cantore Stories, Coat Guard Alaska, et al ad nauseum.

Yep, I used to watch it anytime I was on a long trip for my weather planning warmup for the days flight before I'd leave the Motel. It was good to see the radars, fronts, temps etc. around the country so I had an idea of what we would be over flying or flying into and what to look at more closely in route planning etc. I don't think it would be near as useful now.

Gunny
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Yep, I used to watch it anytime I was on a long trip for my weather planning warmup for the days flight before I'd leave the Motel. It was good to see the radars, fronts, temps etc. around the country so I had an idea of what we would be over flying or flying into and what to look at more closely in route planning etc. I don't think it would be near as useful now.

It isn't. They now have what they call "Local on the 8's". Every time the clock hits an 8, you're supposed to at least get your local forecast. Unless it interferes with something important .. like Storm Chasers. If you want more than local, better be on in the morning BEFORE "Wake Up with Al". It's a conglomeration of weather, Al Roker (who annoys me by his mere presence) and news from MSNBC no less.

Jess
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Well, it's snowing quite a bit now, it's going to snow more, it's cold.but not as cold as it's gonna be tonight. The roads will be snowy, slick and icy. People are going to drive like idiots.

You get to stay home but I will have to work, which means you can figure out supper.

Any questions?:cool:

Gunny
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, it's snowing quite a bit now, it's going to snow more, it's cold.but not as cold as it's gonna be tonight. The roads will be snowy, slick and icy. People are going to drive like idiots.

You get to stay home but I will have to work, which means you can figure out supper.

Any questions?:cool:

You mean our 1" in the morning and partial sunshine in the afternoon? They've exceeded the former here and the latter better show it's ass quick. Which begs the question .... why is the National Weather Service in Atlanta? I've figured out after occypying this Yankee state they can't figure out snow if someone gave them a snow machine and micrometer.

Dinner's easy. I'll have a #3, supersized, with a Coke.:halo9:

darin
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
(sigh) - am jealous once again. Everybody's gettin' snow but me. :(

re: driving idiots.

I think snow/slick roads simply highlight our inadequacies as drivers. The poor habits present in 95% of the driving population manifest themselves four-fold when cars have less-than-normal driving.

People in the US are poor drivers by choice and arrogance. They do not make the choice to be better, to learn. They are too arrogant to think they can't be better.

Gunny
01-19-2012, 01:12 PM
(sigh) - am jealous once again. Everybody's gettin' snow but me. :(

re: driving idiots.

I think snow/slick roads simply highlight our inadequacies as drivers. The poor habits present in 95% of the driving population manifest themselves four-fold when cars have less-than-normal driving.

People in the US are poor drivers by choice and arrogance. They do not make the choice to be better, to learn. They are too arrogant to think they can't be better.

Pretty entertaining if you're sitting in the kitchen looking out the window though.:laugh:

It actually surprised me I drive better in this crap than the Yankees around here do. Of course, I've been stationed in it as either a dependent or active duty all my life. I just don't get the part where people native to this place lose their minds from one season to the next. last time I drove in snow was the late 90s. It's STILL the same crap now it was THEN.

darin
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Thing is, in Western Washington - my place of birth/growth - the people can't drive in Snow. They also can't drive in Rain. AND they can't drive in SUN. I kid you not - when ANY of those three happen, traffic snags. In the snow people think their 'car' goes good - they don't care about tires. In the rain people drive 35mph on the freeway, because they are scared. When it's sunny, people get 'blinded' from the sun reflecting off grass, buildings, whatever. :(

AND - the area is CHOCK-FULL of left-lane campers; even though it's expressly forbidden according to the Revised Code of the state. (sigh)

shattered
01-19-2012, 01:16 PM

Im getting 7" tomorrow. What are you getting?

Jess
01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
You mean our 1" in the morning and partial sunshine in the afternoon? They've exceeded the former here and the latter better show it's ass quick. Which begs the question .... why is the National Weather Service in Atlanta? I've figured out after occypying this Yankee state they can't figure out snow if someone gave them a snow machine and micrometer.

Dinner's easy. I'll have a #3, supersized, with a Coke.:halo9:

You're SO in trouble.:slap:

Jess
01-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Im getting 7" tomorrow. What are you getting?

This is about the weather/weather channel. Kindly leave your personal life out of it.:poke:

shattered
01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
This is about the weather/weather channel. Kindly leave your personal life out of it.:poke:

Way to ruin all my fun, Missy.

Jess
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Way to ruin all my fun, Missy.

We all have our gifts. ;)

Besides, you can always talk about the seven inches in the chit chat thread. Bet we can get some good running commentary on it.

And can you legitimately refer to me as "Missy" when I think we're less than 5 years apart in age?:laugh:

Gunny
01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
You're SO in trouble.:slap:

:pigfly:

Jess
01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
:pigfly:

You just keep thinkin' that, Mr. Smarty-pants.:poke:

Gunny
01-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Thing is, in Western Washington - my place of birth/growth - the people can't drive in Snow. They also can't drive in Rain. AND they can't drive in SUN. I kid you not - when ANY of those three happen, traffic snags. In the snow people think their 'car' goes good - they don't care about tires. In the rain people drive 35mph on the freeway, because they are scared. When it's sunny, people get 'blinded' from the sun reflecting off grass, buildings, whatever. :(

AND - the area is CHOCK-FULL of left-lane campers; even though it's expressly forbidden according to the Revised Code of the state. (sigh)

In San Antonio, all you need is a curve in the road. And if you're a Mexican driving a 1972 PU with a trailer full of landscaping tools, it is a vested RIGHT to drive in the left lane doing 50.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
You just keep thinkin' that, Mr. Smarty-pants.:poke:

You must have forgotten to explain that to me while I was chomping down that #3, super-sized, with a Coke.:laugh:

Jess
01-22-2012, 08:16 AM
You must have forgotten to explain that to me while I was chomping down that #3, super-sized, with a Coke.:laugh:

It would have been rude to talk with food in my mouth. :evilras:

Gunny
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
It would have been rude to talk with food in my mouth. :evilras:

Uh huh. SInce when did THAT ever stop you?

Jess
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Uh huh. SInce when did THAT ever stop you?

3198 Hummphhh?

Gunny
02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Was just brought to my attention NBC bought the Weather Channel. Guess THAT explains everything.