PDA

View Full Version : The race is still Romney's

jimnyc
01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Not my headline, just from a story I was just reading. They seem to think that Mitt is a huge frontrunner regardless of what happens in SC today. I'm not so sure I go along with that. If Newt somehow pulls this out today, he could swing a lot of momentum in his direction. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The fundamentals of Mitt Romney's presidential campaign are strong. Even in the wake of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's surging momentum in South Carolina, the fact remains that Romney is the overwhelming front-runner for the Republican nomination -- and Saturday's primary won't do anything to change that.

That's not to poo-poo Gingrich's comeback. The former speaker's recovery in South Carolina has come against all odds, including sustained attacks from a pro-Romney super PAC, a damaging tell-all interview from his second wife, a sustained push by social conservatives to unite behind Rick Santorum, and the fact that Gingrich is still running a campaign virtually bereft of the infrastructure that past serious candidates have needed to win key primary states.

Gingrich's roller-coaster ride in public-opinion polls began its initial climb thanks to strong performances in debates in November. His revival, after a barrage of attack ads in Iowa, came thanks to two more strong performances this week and his wise decision to abandon a high-road strategy that has never been rewarded in presidential politics in favor of mixing it up with front-running Romney.

But Gingrich is living a hand-to-mouth existence, while Romney has sowed seeds he can reap later on in other states. The Republican presidential campaign is, at the end, a race for 1,144 delegates, and the former Massachusetts governor's campaign is in a far better position to harvest those delegates in later primaries.

http://news.yahoo.com/race-still-romneys-121221965.html