PDA

View Full Version : Coach Joe Paterno has died

jimnyc
01-21-2012, 09:07 PM
At least one paper, linked to from Drudge, is now reporting the death of Joe Paterno.

RIP, Coach Joe

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/01/21/former-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-reportedly-near-death/

ConHog
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Very sad. Prayers to his family.

jimnyc
01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
It's a shame. He went from becoming the coach with the most wins in college football history, to being enveloped in this scandal, to dying, all in a matter of months.

ConHog
01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
It's a shame. He went from becoming the coach with the most wins in college football history, to being enveloped in this scandal, to dying, all in a matter of months.

My brother actually predicted he wouldn't last 6 months without his job.

Just to be clear he deserved to be fired IMO, but of course this goes beyond that. I'm sad to hear about his legacy ending this way.

Abbey Marie
01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
After all his success, his clean football program, and his long marriage, how sad that his last days had to be with the knowledge that he was the scapegoat for Penn State.

Rest with the angels, Joe.

ConHog
01-21-2012, 11:03 PM
After all his success, his clean football program, and his long marriage, how sad that his last days had to be with the knowledge that he was the scapegoat for Penn State.

I don't think he was a scapegoat. He got off much lighter than others who knew about Sandusky.

Still sorry to hear he passed.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 07:09 AM
At least one paper, linked to from Drudge, is now reporting the death of Joe Paterno.

RIP, Coach Joe

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/01/21/former-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-reportedly-near-death/

Guess all those Paterno-haters calling for his head on a pike just got screwed. Even in the end, Joe hands his detractor's their asses.:laugh:

RIP to one of the most prolific coaches in NCAA football history.

jimnyc
01-22-2012, 07:22 AM
My apologies, quite a few media outlets prematurely announced his death last evening, and I ran with it. He is said to be on deaths door, but still hanging in there.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 07:26 AM
My apologies, quite a few media outlets prematurely announced his death last evening, and I ran with it. He is said to be on deaths door, but still hanging in there.

Ah. I heard he was dead. He's probably hanging on so he can flip off a few people.

OCA
01-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Scapegoat? He was complicit.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Scapegoat? He was complicit.

Factual evidence or shut up. Oh, there is none. Guess your choice is obvious then.

jimnyc
01-22-2012, 10:29 AM
I hope I'm not prematurely announcing again, but apparently his family has confirmed that Coach Joe has passed this morning.

jimnyc
01-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Stories are now starting to pop up all over confirming his passing. Peace be with you, Coach Joe!

http://news.yahoo.com/fired-penn-state-coach-joe-paterno-dead-85-151950813--spt.html

OCA
01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Factual evidence or shut up. Oh, there is none. Guess your choice is obvious then.

First off R.I.P. Joseph.

Factual evidence you say? Fact: he reported to the A.D. on what McCreary had told him about the shower incident, nothing happened to Sandusky, he walked the campus for another 10 years or so, Joepa did not follow up and in fact Sandusky was at Penn St. practices as an observer as close as two years ago.

In the end i'll bet my life that Joepa and the admin. were involved in a cover up because football and the money it brings in were more important than those little boys.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 10:45 AM
First off R.I.P. Joseph.

Factual evidence you say? Fact: he reported to the A.D. on what McCreary had told him about the shower incident, nothing happened to Sandusky, he walked the campus for another 10 years or so, Joepa did not follow up and in fact Sandusky was at Penn St. practices as an observer as close as two years ago.

In the end i'll bet my life that Joepa and the admin. were involved in a cover up because football and the money it brings in were more important than those little boys.

SO you're saying he did his job? He reported some hearsay? Whoop. That and a cup of coffee will get you heartburn in a court of law.

OCA
01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
SO you're saying he did his job? He reported some hearsay? Whoop. That and a cup of coffee will get you heartburn in a court of law.

Hearsay? Are you serious? Gunster you might be the only person in America who believes that with all the other multitude of incidents and people coming forth about this dirtbag, that he might be innocent.

Joepa is at the VERY least guilty of bad judgement.

OCA
01-22-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure the grand jury has already provided enough factual evidence. The regular trial will be merely a formality at this point.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure the grand jury has already provided enough factual evidence. The regular trial will be merely a formality at this point.

You're rushing to judgment based on assumption. I've watched trial after trial on tv and documentaries and seen PLENTY of that crap, and people put in prison based on nothing more than emotional, knee-jerk reaction.

Oh, and Joe Paterno was not on trial. But maybe they can hang his real body in place of an effigy for you.

OCA
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
You're rushing to judgment based on assumption. I've watched trial after trial on tv and documentaries and seen PLENTY of that crap, and people put in prison based on nothing more than emotional, knee-jerk reaction.

Oh, and Joe Paterno was not on trial. But maybe they can hang his real body in place of an effigy for you.

WOW! You are serious, ok.

Sir Evil
01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
The man was a coaching legend and was not the offender, he's dead now and at minimal should be given at least a day of respect.

OCA
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
The man was a coaching legend and was not the offender, he's dead now and at minimal should be given at least a day of respect.

Alright Evil, nobody said he was the offender, maybe enabler but not offender. Nothing more from me until later on.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 11:09 AM
WOW! You are serious, ok.

I am. I have a BIG issue with people being convicted in other's minds BEFORE the fact. I have an issue with people being convicted based on emotional knee-jerk reactions, and I have a problem with people being convicted when the evidence doesn't support the conviction; rather, some theory the prosecution comes up with that they can weave the little bit of disjointed facts into.

That's NOT how it's supposed to work.

Sir Evil
01-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Alright Evil, nobody said he was the offender, maybe enabler but not offender. Nothing more from me until later on.

I was suggesting offender in reference to the fact that he has just passed and should be given his moment of respect before people start guessing his involvment in something he was not the guilty party of.

OCA
01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I am. I have a BIG issue with people being convicted in other's minds BEFORE the fact. I have an issue with people being convicted based on emotional knee-jerk reactions, and I have a problem with people being convicted when the evidence doesn't support the conviction; rather, some theory the prosecution comes up with that they can weave the little bit of disjointed facts into.

That's NOT how it's supposed to work.

So you are saying the grand jury testimony and all the eyewitness accounts do not support that he be brought to trial? And these were not all accounts of the young boys either, there were other witnesses as well.................not the least of all............his wife.

Weaving a story? Come on Gunny, let me ask you this, if you had a 11 or 12 yr old son now would you send him to a summer camp Sandusky was participating in?

jimnyc
01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Hearsay? Are you serious? Gunster you might be the only person in America who believes that with all the other multitude of incidents and people coming forth about this dirtbag, that he might be innocent.

Joepa is at the VERY least guilty of bad judgement.

So you are saying the grand jury testimony and all the eyewitness accounts do not support that he be brought to trial? And these were not all accounts of the young boys either, there were other witnesses as well.................not the least of all............his wife.

Weaving a story? Come on Gunny, let me ask you this, if you had a 11 or 12 yr old son now would you send him to a summer camp Sandusky was participating in?

I could be wrong, but I believe Gunny thinks you were referring to Coach Joe. Coach Joe was not charged, and was only involved in GJ testimony against Sandusky.

OCA
01-22-2012, 11:35 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe Gunny thinks you were referring to Coach Joe. Coach Joe was not charged, and was only involved in GJ testimony against Sandusky.

I think though, and this is the reason the A.D. was charged too, that had Joe not passed today(R.I.P.), further investigation beyond the sexual abuse allegations would've revealed a cover up on the part of the university and that Joepa was involved. There was no way he would not have known, Joepa was bigger than the fucking governor.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Ummm .... last I checked, this thread is about Joe Paterno passing away? He's the only person I am speaking of.

Sandusky would be another topic entirely.

jimnyc
01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I think though, and this is the reason the A.D. was charged too, that had Joe not passed today(R.I.P.), further investigation beyond the sexual abuse allegations would've revealed a cover up on the part of the university and that Joepa was involved. There was no way he would not have known, Joepa was bigger than the fucking governor.

If JoePa wanted to "cover it up", he wouldn't have reported it to authorities as he was supposed to do. He also wouldn't have given an honest accounting of things when with the grand jury. He tol it as he knew it, and just how McQueary reportedly told him. He may not have been as "proactive" as some would have liked, morally speaking, but I see nothing at all to show he lied or tried to cover anything up.

Quite frankly, and I know no one intended it this way - but I think "judging" this man and making unfounded accusations on the day he dies is in poor taste. He wasn't a Saint, but he was to PSU football and has earned his stripes as a coach. He shouldn't be disrespected and treated like a criminal when he didn't break any laws.

OCA
01-22-2012, 11:47 AM
If JoePa wanted to "cover it up", he wouldn't have reported it to authorities as he was supposed to do. He also wouldn't have given an honest accounting of things when with the grand jury. He tol it as he knew it, and just how McQueary reportedly told him. He may not have been as "proactive" as some would have liked, morally speaking, but I see nothing at all to show he lied or tried to cover anything up.

Quite frankly, and I know no one intended it this way - but I think "judging" this man and making unfounded accusations on the day he dies is in poor taste. He wasn't a Saint, but he was to PSU football and has earned his stripes as a coach. He shouldn't be disrespected and treated like a criminal when he didn't break any laws.

Well you are right but tell me, when would be an appropriate time to discuss it?

ConHog
01-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Well you are right but tell me, when would be an appropriate time to discuss it?

One week from today. That is the standard grieving period. After that we can discuss his role in the Sandusky thing.

I would ask the threads discussing such be locked for that time, and that this one be left open only as a place for those who wish to to grieve the guy.

In either case, I personally won't be commenting in the other threads about what happened at PSU for one week.

OCA
01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
One week from today. That is the standard grieving period. After that we can discuss his role in the Sandusky thing.

I would ask the threads discussing such be locked for that time, and that this one be left open only as a place for those who wish to to grieve the guy.

In either case, I personally won't be commenting in the other threads about what happened at PSU for one week.

Well your input wasn't needed, question posed to another.

Gunny
01-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Well your input wasn't needed, question posed to another.

Try a thread about Sandusky. He's the one indicted.

gabosaurus
01-28-2012, 12:35 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389389_2810889960309_1500563577_2847741_418265606_ n.jpg