PDA

View Full Version : Terrible feeling

darin
01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
We visited a Vizsla Breeder today; left without a pup (because the next litter isn't due till around 1 March). Sinking feeling. So very-much in love with the breed. Figure 6 weeks till babies show up - another eight until we get one home.

:sigh:

:)

SassyLady
01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
pics???

Abbey Marie
01-22-2012, 09:10 PM
I knew a guy who kept one at my college. Could be the guy's personality, but that dog only had eyes for his owner (and squirrels, iirc). Got a lot of attention, too.

darin
01-23-2012, 05:46 AM
pics???
None of our visit - check my facebook for a short vid though.

here are pics found online:

I knew a guy who kept one at my college. Could be the guy's personality, but that dog only had eyes for his owner (and squirrels, iirc). Got a lot of attention, too.

The dog is known for being a little like me: insecure. The breed REALLY wants to be around people; loves people. They call 'em 'velcro' dogs, because they stick to folks.

While at the kennel the preg. pooch walked to me, and stood with her head right near my belly as I sat. I started petting and she pushed up against me so her body was touching me as much as possible. Was perfectly lovely. She stood there looking up as I pet her ears and head and sides. Absolutely SWEET HEARTS - the lot of them.

Jess
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
We visited a Vizsla Breeder today; left without a pup (because the next litter isn't due till around 1 March). Sinking feeling. So very-much in love with the breed. Figure 6 weeks till babies show up - another eight until we get one home.

:sigh:

Jess is feeling jealous. :poke:

Those are awesome dogs, from what I've seen and read. Uber-athletic, very family-oriented but as you said, they can be insecure.

Another good one for families, especially for runners is the Rhodesian Ridgeback. They can easily run 20+ miles a day with their people. Saw a thing about them on Animal Planet a few weeks ago. :cool:

darin
01-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Jess is feeling jealous. :poke:

Those are awesome dogs, from what I've seen and read. Uber-athletic, very family-oriented but as you said, they can be insecure.

Another good one for families, especially for runners is the Rhodesian Ridgeback. They can easily run 20+ miles a day with their people. Saw a thing about them on Animal Planet a few weeks ago. :cool:

The RR was the TOP of our list for some time. The more I read, though, the more I saw them inclined to run-off. Stories went like this: Out off-leash with RR. RR catches a scent and BOOM! Dog is gone for weeks or longer. :(

We switched to the V because they are a little insecure - they tend to NOT want to be out, running alone. They have a similiar look, and maintenance level, too.

Jess
01-23-2012, 09:46 AM
The RR was the TOP of our list for some time. The more I read, though, the more I saw them inclined to run-off. Stories went like this: Out off-leash with RR. RR catches a scent and BOOM! Dog is gone for weeks or longer. :(

We switched to the V because they are a little insecure - they tend to NOT want to be out, running alone. They have a similiar look, and maintenance level, too.

Good call. Of course, if you run into a lion, the RR would be the one to bet on. :laugh:

Jess is still jealous. :cool:

darin
01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Good call. Of course, if you run into a lion, the RR would be the one to bet on. :laugh:

Jess is still jealous. :cool:

Yes, the Vizsla would simply wanna make friends. :)

Jess can stop by and see the puppy. You 'may' bring your grouchy 'other half' too!

:D

jimnyc
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Those are adorable dogs!! Aren't they a little pricey too?

Anyway, was browsing through FB and just saw a picture of this guy:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qn9jfc.jpg

darin
01-23-2012, 12:36 PM
yeah Jim....will run 8 bills for a female.

Jess
01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes, the Vizsla would simply wanna make friends. :)

Jess can stop by and see the puppy. You 'may' bring your grouchy 'other half' too!

:D
Woohoo! :dancer::cheer5::happy0100::bunny4::joy4:

We'll have to frisk the other half when leaving though. He has a soft spot for puppies and kittens.

Trinity
01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
This is my baby....Couldn't ask for a more well behaved dog.... I am 5'6" and when he stands up he is taller then me... weighs about 115lbs. Excellent breed!!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm

Abbey Marie
01-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Jim, WTH was that?!

fj1200
01-28-2012, 10:31 AM
^A camera technique probably.