PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon outlines $487 billion in defense cuts

gabosaurus
01-26-2012, 03:32 PM
It's a good step in the right direction.

http://news.yahoo.com/panetta-us-ground-forces-cut-100-000-190046199.html

ConHog
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
It's a good step in the right direction.

http://news.yahoo.com/panetta-us-ground-forces-cut-100-000-190046199.htmlWhen

When will the Department of Human Services announce their cuts?

Mr. P
01-26-2012, 04:27 PM
When

When will the Department of Human Services announce their cuts?

Or the Department of Education be eliminated?

krisy
01-26-2012, 08:28 PM
don't forget the EPA!

PostmodernProphet
01-26-2012, 11:01 PM
The defense spending plan is scheduled to be submitted to Congress as part of the administration's full 2013 budget on Feb. 13.

???....wait a minute.....aren't these cuts supposed to be for the 2012 budget?......I expect another round of a $1trillion cuts for 2013......

ConHog
01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
???....wait a minute.....aren't these cuts supposed to be for the 2012 budget?......I expect another round of a $1trillion cuts for 2013......

They are announced cuts over the next decade. Not from next year's budget.

gabosaurus
01-26-2012, 11:47 PM
don't forget the EPA!

The candidate who forgot the EPA has already been forgotten. :cool:

Gunny
01-26-2012, 11:49 PM
The candidate who forgot the EPA has already been forgotten. :cool:

The idiot that thinks the EPA amounts to shit is as good as gone.

gabosaurus
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Among the first cuts the military needs to make are desk personnel who have been around too long and serve absolutely no purpose. Mostly defense contractors, worthless "advisers" and redundant "contractors."

ConHog
01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Among the first cuts the military needs to make are desk personnel who have been around too long and serve absolutely no purpose. Mostly defense contractors, worthless "advisers" and redundant "contractors."

Seriously, why is the defense department the only department you think needs to make cuts? You don't think every government agency has a shit load of employees that do NOTHING and need to be cut? Of course they do... Yet you never mention anything but "cut defense cut defense"

darin
01-27-2012, 04:28 AM

The Army is already moving away from Contractors; that's old news. Here's a question: how do you suppose Battle plans, budget cuts, and doing-more-with-less HAPPEN without the desk folk?

CSM
01-27-2012, 07:32 AM
The Army is already moving away from Contractors; that's old news. Here's a question: how do you suppose Battle plans, budget cuts, and doing-more-with-less HAPPEN without the desk folk?

Well isn't that an easy question to answer! Of course we can rely on those college professors, political pundits and bleeding heart liberals to develop and execute our global, strategic, operational and tactical plans. They do know what is best and are far more educated and intelligent than those robotic, no thinking, baby killing, knuckle draggers doing it currently. Why we should probably make Gabby a Field Marshall just for this line of postings!

Missileman
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM

I'll bet we can scribe what you "know" about the military on the back of a postage stamp. And I'll also bet, they turn right around and spend that $487 billion and more on other wasteful government programs and won't reduce the debt a nickel.

PostmodernProphet
01-27-2012, 08:38 AM
They are announced cuts over the next decade. Not from next year's budget.

so these are seperate from the cuts that were triggered by the failure of the joint committee to come up with cuts required for approval of the 2011 budget compromise?.....because $400 billion over ten years is only $40 billion, and that's not going to hack it.....

ConHog
01-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Pixie dust?

darin
01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Pixie dust?

Most folks don't understand the army's push and LEAD in cost-saving. Folks want to harp on the $800 hammers, etc. Those things happen. But, with LEED certification in buildings, Lean/Six Sigma programs, Early Retirement options, Voluntary Separation programs - just to name a few - the Pentagon IS reducing costs. BUT - politicians pander to 'progressives' who lack the stomach to safeguard whatever freedoms they ALLOW us to have.

ConHog
01-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Most folks don't understand the army's push and LEAD in cost-saving. Folks want to harp on the $800 hammers, etc. Those things happen. But, with LEED certification in buildings, Lean/Six Sigma programs, Early Retirement options, Voluntary Separation programs - just to name a few - the Pentagon IS reducing costs. BUT - politicians pander to 'progressives' who lack the stomach to safeguard whatever freedoms they ALLOW us to have.

Exactly as I've been saying. OF COURSE the military needs to better job of being financially accountable, but there are limits to what can be cut.

gabosaurus
01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Seriously, why is the defense department the only department you think needs to make cuts? You don't think every government agency has a shit load of employees that do NOTHING and need to be cut? Of course they do... Yet you never mention anything but "cut defense cut defense"

Actually, every government depart DOES have things that can be cut. But you have to agree that defense is by far the most bloated of all agencies.

ConHog
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Actually, every government depart DOES have things that can be cut. But you have to agree that defense is by far the most bloated of all agencies.

Actually, I wouldn't agree. I would argue that the State Department is the most wasteful of all.

CSM
01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Actually, I wouldn't agree. I would argue that the State Department is the most wasteful of all.

HUD is right up there too.

ConHog
01-27-2012, 12:56 PM
HUD is right up there too.

Of course the CORRECT answer as to which government agency is the most wasteful would undoubtedly have to be CONGRESS.

:lol: