PDA

View Full Version : I should move to Sweden

chloe
01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
They got the right temperment forn my personality;)

Recent years have witnessed a resurgence of interest in what may be termed the Swedish national character. This has its origin in several factors. One is the internationalization of the world. In Sweden about 10 percent of the total population is immigrants. The repeated encounters between Swedes and non-Swedes have actualized the question of national identity, i e what it means to be a Swede, in terms of thinking and behaving. Only through contrast is it possible to perceive "Swedish-, ness" as something particular.

RELATIONSHIPS
According to many observers social relationships are particularly problematic among Swedes. This may manifest itself as communication apprehension, reservedness, desire for social autonomy, positive attitudes towards loneliness and strict boundaries between private and public life.
A comparative study of American and Swedish university students with regards to communication apprehension revealed that the general attitude in America towards shyness is negative. Shy people are thought of as being both less competent and less intelligent. Therefore, Americans try to hide or overcome their shyness. This is not the case in Sweden. Shyness is a positive trait. Shy people in Sweden are often looked upon positively and may be regarded as sensitive and reflective, and therefore non-pushy. This means that Swedes who are apprehensive when it comes to communication are often free to express this, in contrast to their counterparts in America.

http://www.nordicway.com/search/Swedish%20Mentality.htm

DragonStryk72
01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
shit, where was that when I was in high school?! Also, it's the HQ Mojang, creators of Minecraft

chloe
01-27-2012, 08:40 PM
shit, where was that when I was in high school?! Also, it's the HQ Mojang, creators of Minecraft

The Swedish national character sounds like me offline, I wonder what the American national character is categorized as:laugh2:

Gaffer
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Wow I'm a Swede. :thumb:

chloe
01-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Sweden seems pretty mellow, anyway some of my ancestors are from sweden and it would be neat to visit it.

PostmodernProphet
01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
so, the girl with the dragon tattoo was just a typical swede?.......

chloe
01-27-2012, 11:13 PM
so, the girl with the dragon tattoo was just a typical swede?.......

I never read the book or saw the movie.

But of course mission impossible is not typical stuff either:laugh2:

PostmodernProphet
01-27-2012, 11:23 PM
well, she was sort of a "leave me alone and stay out of my face" type of girl who set her father on fire when she was twelve, tattooed "I'm a rapist pig" on the stomach of her court appointed guardian (not that it wasn't true of course) then helped a journalist track down a serial killer who's jaw she broke with a golf club.....she definitely had communication apprehension....

chloe
01-27-2012, 11:25 PM
well, she was sort of a "leave me alone and stay out of my face" type of girl who set her father on fire when she was twelve, tattooed "I'm a rapist pig" on the stomach of her court appointed guardian (not that it wasn't true of course) then helped a journalist track down a serial killer who's jaw she broke with a golf club.....she definitely had communication apprehension....

Oh yeah no that is not at all typical of swedes.

Shadow
01-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Sounds about right...but then again my Ex is swedish so I may be bias (and not in a positive way either).

chloe
01-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Sounds about right...but then again my Ex is swedish so I may be bias (and not in a positive way either).

Geez Shadow was your husband violent with you?

I ave swedish ancestors and my daughter has been studying swedish culture for a class paper, it certainly is not typical swedish culture.

DragonStryk72
01-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Sweden seems pretty mellow, anyway some of my ancestors are from sweden and it would be neat to visit it.

Ireland's also a lot of fun. Really nice people there.

chloe
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Ireland's also a lot of fun. Really nice people there.

Are you Irish Dragon?

Shadow
01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Geez Shadow was your husband violent with you?

I ave swedish ancestors and my daughter has been studying swedish culture for a class paper, it certainly is not typical swedish culture.

He did do things that I felt were highly questionable and just plain mean (like hit the kids on the head with wooden spoons,or throw our cats/furniture/belongings across the room... deliberately detroy/step on/break/throw away your things or the kids toys... and seemed to get pleasure out of bullying you with various other psychological mind games) and he definately had anger management issues that spiraled out of control verbally. He never really hurt me...however... he leveled that "look" at me a few times...the one showing/telling me that he really really wanted too. I didn't stick around to find out if he did or didn't have it in him though. Living with him was just not healthy...for either of us or our kids.

I know it's not "typical". Just my experience from living with him and being around his family.

chloe
01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
He did do things that I felt were highly questionable and just plain mean (like hit the kids on the head with wooden spoons,or throw our cats/furniture/belongings across the room... deliberately detroy/step on/break/throw away your things or the kids toys... and seemed to get pleasure out of bullying you with various other psychological mind games) and he definately had anger management issues that spiraled out of control verbally. He never really hurt me...however... he leveled that "look" at me a few times...the one showing/telling me that he really really wanted too. I didn't stick around to find out if he did or didn't have it in him though. Living with him was just not healthy...for either of us or our kids.

I know it's not "typical". Just my experience from living with him and being around his family.

He sounds mean I am glad you got away from him and ypur a freat mom to protect your kids too.

DragonStryk72
01-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Are you Irish Dragon?

Yes, actually. My grandmother on my dad's side was born and raisedin Dublin, so as it turns out, I qualify for Irish citizenship. Way things are going over here, the thought has occured to me that I might be better off, lol

chloe
01-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, actually. My grandmother on my dad's side was born and raisedin Dublin, so as it turns out, I qualify for Irish citizenship. Way things are going over here, the thought has occured to me that I might be better off, lol

LOL same as me only I considered Sweden.