PDA

View Full Version : California passes sweeping auto emission standards

Shadow
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
SAN FRANCISCO – Seeking to influence other states and Washington, California air regulators passed sweeping auto emission standards Friday that include a mandate to have 1.4 million electric and hybrid vehicles on state roads by 2025.
The California Air Resources Board unanimously approved the new rules that require that one in seven of the new cars sold in the state in 2025 be an electric or other zero-emission vehicle.
The plan also mandates a 75 percent reduction in smog-forming pollutants by 2025, and a 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from today's standards.

Snip:

Trade groups representing auto dealers (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) worried that the new regulations would increase the costs of vehicles for consumers and stifle the industry's growth.

The California New Car Dealers Association and other industry groups representing those who sell cars said the board is overestimating consumer demand for electric vehicles and other so-called "zero-emission vehicles."
Dealers are concerned that the regulations will lead to higher costs in all cars, and say consumers have been slow to warm to electric and other zero-emission vehicles.

Board member Sandra Berg, who said she drives the all-electric Nissan Leaf, said before the vote that regulators need to take consumer behavior and choice seriously in this equation.
She said a lot of work must be done to educate dealers to sell the new generation of cars.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/28/california-passes-sweeping-auto-emission-standards/#ixzz1kle3psuD[/COLOR]

I'm wondering how they are planning to enforce the 1 in 7 cars sold must be electric or zero emission? What if the public doesn't want to buy them?

Guess they are trying to kill even more jobs out there in CA? And they wonder why a lot of their CA based companies are moving to Texas. :cuckoo:

Missileman
01-28-2012, 10:52 AM
SAN FRANCISCO – Seeking to influence other states and Washington, California air regulators passed sweeping auto emission standards Friday that include a mandate to have 1.4 million electric and hybrid vehicles on state roads by 2025.
The California Air Resources Board unanimously approved the new rules that require that one in seven of the new cars sold in the state in 2025 be an electric or other zero-emission vehicle.
The plan also mandates a 75 percent reduction in smog-forming pollutants by 2025, and a 50 percent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions from today's standards.

Snip:

Trade groups representing auto dealers (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) worried that the new regulations would increase the costs of vehicles for consumers and stifle the industry's growth.

The California New Car Dealers Association and other industry groups representing those who sell cars said the board is overestimating consumer demand for electric vehicles and other so-called "zero-emission vehicles."
Dealers are concerned that the regulations will lead to higher costs in all cars, and say consumers have been slow to warm to electric and other zero-emission vehicles.

Board member Sandra Berg, who said she drives the all-electric Nissan Leaf, said before the vote that regulators need to take consumer behavior and choice seriously in this equation.
She said a lot of work must be done to educate dealers to sell the new generation of cars.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/28/california-passes-sweeping-auto-emission-standards/#ixzz1kle3psuD[/COLOR]

I'm wondering how they are planning to enforce the 1 in 7 cars sold must be electric or zero emission? What if the public doesn't want to buy them?

Guess they are trying to kill even more jobs out there in CA? And they wonder why a lot of their CA based companies are moving to Texas. :cuckoo:

Exactly what I was wondering. Do they intend to tell dealers they have to carry an electric line? Maybe they'll have to suspend sales of gas vehicles until they sell the next electric. I'd say it's time to open a bunch of car dealerships just outside the Cali border.

Shadow
01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Exactly what I was wondering. Do they intend to tell dealers they have to carry an electric line? Maybe they'll have to suspend sales of gas vehicles until they sell the next electric. I'd say it's time to open a bunch of car dealerships just outside the Cali border.

Makes you wonder what they actually mean by..."we need to educate dealers on how to sell the new generation cars".

Dilloduck
01-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Will donkey carts be regulated too ?

Shadow
01-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Will donkey carts be regulated too ?

Do donkey's fart?:slap:

Dilloduck
01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Do donkey's fart?:slap:

not if they get their daily dose of Beano

Shadow
01-28-2012, 11:25 AM
not if they get their daily dose of Beano

Who is going to make sure that happens?

Dilloduck
01-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Donkey regulators-----DUH

Shadow
01-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Donkey regulators-----DUH

See there... you answered your own question. :laugh2:

Dilloduck
01-28-2012, 11:31 AM
See there... you answered your own question. :laugh2:

I hate when you trick me like that.

Little-Acorn
01-28-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd say it's time to open a bunch of car dealerships just outside the Cali border.

PRCalifornia will refuse to register your out-of-state gasoline cars except in proportion to the number of electric cars you've registered.

revelarts
01-28-2012, 01:59 PM
talk about your unfunded mandates, sheesh. Incredible.

ConHog
01-28-2012, 04:19 PM
How ridiculous can California get? I guess they figured if Obamacare can force you to buy health insurance that the government should also be able to force you to buy an electric vehicle.... Thank God I live in Arkansas.

gabosaurus
01-29-2012, 12:37 AM
I vote yes for stricter auto emission standards and no to electric vehicles, which are totally impractical for long term use.

Gunny
01-29-2012, 07:07 AM

Snip:

California sucks. People like Gabby live there. I'd rather live between Van Horn and Ft Stockton than live in that sewer of a state.

The shame of it is, the same as NY and IL, the titty-sucking leftwingers that hug the big cities mae the rules for the other 90% of normal people. Sickening that we are a nation of laws where the majority is supposed to rule; yet, the losers get to run the show because they congregate in urban hovels and vote like cockroaches.

Shadow
01-29-2012, 11:19 AM
California sucks. People like Gabby live there. I'd rather live between Van Horn and Ft Stockton than live in that sewer of a state.

The shame of it is, the same as NY and IL, the titty-sucking leftwingers that hug the big cities mae the rules for the other 90% of normal people. Sickening that we are a nation of laws where the majority is supposed to rule; yet, the losers get to run the show because they congregate in urban hovels and vote like cockroaches.

I lived in CA for about a year and a half and that was long enough for me. One of the things I do remember was the outrageous vehicle registration fees they tacked on new residents. I think they base them on the current market value of your car or something stupid like that (can't remember now), not to mention all the extra fees they dig up...smog fees...county fees etc. I just remember paying about $1200.00 to get my car registered in that state. A total rip off.

Not only do they chase off the current residents and businesses with stupid crap (like in the original OP)...they also make it way to expensive to move there. Unless you are illegal that is.

krisy
01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Could they be any more ignorant? The powers that be are so out of touch its bizare. No one is worrying about this garbage right now. People want to work and eat first of all,and second they can't force anyone to buy an electric car that can't be charged in the average persons home from what I understand.

Ohio used to have an e-check. You had to pay to get your cars emissions checked,then if it failed you had to get work done on it and come back. If it failed again,you had to prove with a receipt from a mechanic that you had spent a certain amount of money to fix it and then they would let you get your plates. All for clean air,but yet metro buses and construction vehicles were driving around spewing black crap into the air and they didn't have to have e checks done.

That is one good thing Bob Taft as governor did was eliminate the e check. Within a year or two tho,the cost of getting plates/tags went up. It was all about making money for the state. Not clean air.

ConHog
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Could they be any more ignorant? The powers that be are so out of touch its bizare. No one is worrying about this garbage right now. People want to work and eat first of all,and second they can't force anyone to buy an electric car that can't be charged in the average persons home from what I understand.

Ohio used to have an e-check. You had to pay to get your cars emissions checked,then if it failed you had to get work done on it and come back. If it failed again,you had to prove with a receipt from a mechanic that you had spent a certain amount of money to fix it and then they would let you get your plates. All for clean air,but yet metro buses and construction vehicles were driving around spewing black crap into the air and they didn't have to have e checks done.

That is one good thing Bob Taft as governor did was eliminate the e check. Within a year or two tho,the cost of getting plates/tags went up. It was all about making money for the state. Not clean air.

There is a valid reason buses and trucks are exempt from such standards. The technology won't allow to both pass the tests AND provide the abilities that are needed from said vehicles.

As for this. Just utterly silly. gasoling engines are pretty fucking efficient right now, but let's assume that Los Angelas passed an "electric cars only " bill. What produces the electricity that powers those vehicles? Oh yeah in most cases coal. Now I'd be willing to bet that 1 coal powerplant produces as much pollution as every car that it produces power to charge up. At best its a draw, coal plants are disgusting.

So what is the real gain here? Just more dummies who think they know what's best.

fj1200
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Snip:

Hmm, by what authority/legislation can an unelected board make that rule?

logroller
01-30-2012, 02:42 AM
Hmm, by what authority/legislation can an unelected board make that rule?

I assume the Clean Air Act. The San Joaquin Valley, due in no small part to the geography of a horseshoe, has some of the worst air in the country; they garnered waivers pretty much from the start, but they have to find ways of improving AQ nonetheless. Industry and agriculture has been hammered by clean air rules for while now, which improved AQ, but it remains above federal guidelines. Just last year in fact, the AQ was so bad they got hit with fines ...to the tune of million$ passed onto the car registrations of SJV residents. The reasoning for a state-wide rule is obviously in response to the argument that pass-through traffic is partially to blame...though I doubt significantly so.

01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
It's amazing how arrogant legislators are nowadays. They presume that they can just change the law and technology will magically fall into existence to meet their new standards.

Why don't they just outlaw cancer. See how well it listens.

Shadow
01-30-2012, 04:19 AM
It's amazing how arrogant legislators are nowadays. They presume that they can just change the law and technology will magically fall into existence to meet their new standards.

Why don't they just outlaw cancer. See how well it listens.

Well...since you bring it up...

"We don't devote enough scientific research to finding the cure for jerks"~ Bill Watterson

I may even have a line on a few "jerks" they can use as guinea pigs. ;)

darin
01-30-2012, 05:53 AM
Anyone remember Kalifornia's rolling black-outs in summer months? IF folks buy the stuff they're requiring be sold, I bet ALL KINDS of taxes will shoot through the roof to increase the electrical grid/infrastructure required to support another million(?) plug-ins.

PostmodernProphet
01-30-2012, 08:08 AM

easy 'nuf......they hold a lottery and they draw a day of the week from a hat......if you were born on that day of the week you will be required by law to buy an electric car......

fj1200
01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I assume the Clean Air Act.

Fed or state. I don't think the Fed version would have that power. I'll assume it's state legislation authorizing the board which removes the burden of legislators actually having to vote on that sort of rule themselves.

Anyone remember Kalifornia's rolling black-outs in summer months?

I believe even that was the result of a bad deregulation bill. It outlawed long-term electrical contracts iirc forcing people into short-term spot purchases which are highly volatile and drastically raised the costs of electricity.

SassyLady
01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
easy 'nuf......they hold a lottery and they draw a day of the week from a hat......if you were born on that day of the week you will be required by law to buy an electric car......

OMG .... you really do know how they do things here in CA!!! :slap:

logroller
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Fed or state. I don't think the Fed version would have that power. I'll assume it's state legislation authorizing the board which removes the burden of legislators actually having to vote on that sort of rule themselves.

Sorta kinda, they require states to develop and implement plans to reduce air pollutants-- which include CARB authority.

Clean Air Act of 1970--
The enactment of the Clean Air Act of 1970 (1970 CAA) resulted in a major shift in the federal government's role in air pollution control. This legislation authorized the development of comprehensive federal and state regulations to limit emissions from both stationary (industrial) sources and mobile sources. Four major regulatory programs affecting stationary sources were initiated: the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS, pronounced "knacks"), State Implementation Plans (SIPs), New Source Performance Standards (NSPS), and National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAPs). Furthermore, the enforcement authority was substantially expanded. The adoption of this very important legislation occurred at approximately the same time as the National Environmental Policy Act that established the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA was created on May 2, 1971 in order to implement the various requirements included in the Clean Air Act of 1970.http://epa.gov/air/caa/caa_history.html

DragonStryk72
02-01-2012, 12:47 AM

Snip:

Alright, I'm gonna do devil's advocate here. 1 in 7 in California isn't as high as you think, given how strongly the environmental movement's caught on out there. As well, the price of zero emission and electrics have been coming down, while their efficiency is rising, along with their convenience. Plug-in Hybrids and Hydrogen fuel Cells hybrids are getting ready to hit the dealers, so there's a new influx of these vehicles coming in that can get in excess 600 miles to a tank, and can be plugged right into an outlet at home to recharge the electric batteries.

I do think, however, going after production instead of sales was a better way to go. However, Bush killed that one a few years back, which was wrong. Californians wanted that law, and it did not violate a single article of the Constitution, so whether a good idea or a bad one, it should have been left to their decision.

LuvRPgrl
02-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Alright, I'm gonna do devil's advocate here. 1 in 7 in California isn't as high as you think, given how strongly the environmental movement's caught on out there. As well, the price of zero emission and electrics have been coming down, while their efficiency is rising, along with their convenience. Plug-in Hybrids and Hydrogen fuel Cells hybrids are getting ready to hit the dealers, so there's a new influx of these vehicles coming in that can get in excess 600 miles to a tank, and can be plugged right into an outlet at home to recharge the electric batteries.

I do think, however, going after production instead of sales was a better way to go. However, Bush killed that one a few years back, which was wrong. Californians wanted that law, and it did not violate a single article of the Constitution, so whether a good idea or a bad one, it should have been left to their decision.

gubment shouldnt be involved
Im sure any such legislature will exempt women and homos.

In actuality, its all about the money, power and control, nothing more, nothing less.