PDA

View Full Version : Chew on this: What Republican presidential hopefuls are eating

Shadow
01-28-2012, 10:43 AM
You may know where the Republican presidential candidates stand on certain political issues, but do you know what their strengths and weaknesses are when it comes to food?
Did you know that Newt Gingrich has a weakness for ice cream? Or that Ron Paul can’t live without his salads?

What candidates eat on the campaign trail has long symbolized how politicians connect with voters, but a grueling presidential race doesn't always leave time for culinary politicking.

Fox News political contributor Joe Trippi knows a thing or two about candidates’ eating habits (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) , having traveled around with several of them.
“One of the problems of being on the trail,” he says, “is you never know when you are going to eat again. You are at the mercy of whatever the event is, like the Iowa State Fair. A lot of them have their own habits and even if they want to try and eat well and healthy, it's near impossible.” The state fair is notorious for deep-frying any and everything.

Georgia Pellegrini, author of the new book Girl Hunter: Revolutionizing the way we eat, one hunt at a time (Da Capo Press), says the often calorie-filled meals the candidates consume may also be the result of how tired they are.
“They’ve had little sleep and are craving energy,” she says. As they travel around the country, candidates also must try out the local delicacies. “These meals also reflect that the candidates are trying to connect with the communities they are campaigning in, by eating at the local diner and BBQ fare,” Pellegrini says.
These meals often remind us how impossible it is to separate politicking from eating and how it can become part of the debate.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/01/27/candidates-chowdown/#ixzz1klgJBIUa

krisy
01-29-2012, 01:33 PM
At least we know if one of these guys get elected,the food police won't be hounding us anymore. I read earlier this week that Paula Dean of food network has diabetes. She is taking a pounding in the press for how she cooks. I will say this,of all the cooking shows I would be most likely to eat what she cooks. It wouldn't be good to eat like that everyday,but last time I checked we are free to cook and eat how we want.On some of those cooking shows they make stuff I haven't even heard of.

Shadow
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I just thought it was an interesting article. What I actually took away from it was that out of all of the candidates Rick Santorum came across the best...and seemed the most down to earth.

I can't really picture Romney (for instance) eating at Carl's Jr...But... I totally see Rick pigging out on pizza and enjoying all of each states "hot spots".

Shadow
01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
At least we know if one of these guys get elected,the food police won't be hounding us anymore. I read earlier this week that Paula Dean of food network has diabetes. She is taking a pounding in the press for how she cooks. I will say this,of all the cooking shows I would be most likely to eat what she cooks. It wouldn't be good to eat like that everyday,but last time I checked we are free to cook and eat how we want.On some of those cooking shows they make stuff I haven't even heard of.

Just shows that the elitists in the media and entertainment industry are out of touch. Most regular folks dont eat gourmet meals (or have personal chefs at their beck and call to cook them). Paula Dean appeals to the average everyday cook. The one who has to make due with what they have in their pantry until payday.

Guess they think their audience is what...full of food snobs??

pegwinn
01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
We need Alton Brown to moderate debates and do it Iron Chef style. Or, Good Eats - The Election Episode......

fj1200
01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
We need Alton Brown to moderate debates and do it Iron Chef style. Or, Good Eats - The Election Episode......

Nice. But considering the campaigning format it might have to be Feasting on Asphalt style.

pegwinn
01-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Nice. But considering the campaigning format it might have to be Feasting on Asphalt style.

:lol: "you must yadablahetc before .... fj1200 again"

krisy
01-30-2012, 09:24 AM

I would like to see the four of them on Chopped. That would be hilarious!!

ConHog
01-30-2012, 11:18 AM

I love Paula Dean, but no surprise that she has diabetes. I seen that crazy bitch put butter on spaghetti even.

She loves her some deep fried bacon to. That's nuts.