PDA

View Full Version : Political Rumors you Heard cleared up

chloe
02-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I heard Mitt Romney is an animal abuser.

Someone said he put a dog in a crate and tied it to the roof of his car and drove on a road trip like hundreds of miles and the dog crapped al over it itself and he hosed it off in the crate.

Is this a true rumor?

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Can you link us to where you read this?

chloe
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Can you link us to where you read this?

No because someone only told me that, that is why it is a "rumor" and that is why I asked about it in the lounge.

Jess
02-04-2012, 01:43 PM
He does state that back in 83, I think, they went on a trip in a car - with five kids. The dog got into the kennel, which was strapped to the top of the car - he says airtight but probably means that it wasn't a wire kennel - and they made the trip.

Is it any worse than driving around with a dog loose, chained, in a wire or plastic kennel in the back of a pickup truck? IDK.

We live in redneck country. My dog used to ride freely in the back of a pickup. My sister's dog does to this day as do many others around here.

chloe
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
He does state that back in 83, I think, they went on a trip in a car - with five kids. The dog got into the kennel, which was strapped to the top of the car - he says airtight but probably means that it wasn't a wire kennel - and they made the trip.

Is it any worse than driving around with a dog loose, chained, in a wire or plastic kennel in the back of a pickup truck? IDK.

We live in redneck country. My dog used to ride freely in the back of a pickup. My sister's dog does to this day as do many others around here.

Strapping a dog in a kennel to the roof of your car makes me gasp, not only that my friend said the dog shit all over itself in fear and romney hosed it off in the cage, it just seems inhumane.

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 01:52 PM
No because someone only told me that, that is why it is a "rumor" and that is why I asked about it in the lounge.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1O5II0ZBCuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jess
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Strapping a dog in a kennel to the roof of your car makes me gasp, not only that my friend said the dog shit all over itself in fear and romney hosed it off in the cage, it just seems inhumane.

Again, I ask - how much different is that from having a dog in the truck bed? Especially if the dog is unsecured. I've also seen people have dogs in wire kennels, very small kennels - they all have their reasons for doing so. Having an Irish Setter in a car with five kids does not sound appealing to me. The dog very well may have preferred his place outside the vehicle. ;)

If he made the 12 hour trip without letting the dog out to relieve itself, that would be enough to make it have diarrhea - not necessarily fear. No person can say it was fear, since they weren't there. Not letting a dog relieve itself for 12 hours might work if the dog is at home, in a house and used to the circumstances but definitely not what I would deem appropriate on a cross-country trip.

*I am not advocating what he allegedly did, but I do like to play devil's advocate sometimes.*

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Certainly not how I would choose to travel with my dogs, but I also don't have 5 kids in the car either!! It was actually quite common back in the day.

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Again, I ask - how much different is that from having a dog in the truck bed? Especially if the dog is unsecured. I've also seen people have dogs in wire kennels, very small kennels - they all have their reasons for doing so. Having an Irish Setter in a car with five kids does not sound appealing to me. The dog very well may have preferred his place outside the vehicle. ;)

If he made the 12 hour trip without letting the dog out to relieve itself, that would be enough to make it have diarrhea - not necessarily fear. No person can say it was fear, since they weren't there. Not letting a dog relieve itself for 12 hours might work if the dog is at home, in a house and used to the circumstances but definitely not what I would deem appropriate on a cross-country trip.

*I am not advocating what he allegedly did, but I do like to play devil's advocate sometimes.*

Driving in truck beds is MUCH more dangerous. As for the dog and going all over himself, I can't find anything to backup that part, nor anything about him not letting the dog out during the trip.

chloe
02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Driving in truck beds is MUCH more dangerous. As for the dog and going all over himself, I can't find anything to backup that part, nor anything about him not letting the dog out during the trip.

12 HOURS on the roof of the car !!!!!!!!!

Can you imagine the fear the dog must have felt? :(

chloe
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Certainly not how I would choose to travel with my dogs, but I also don't have 5 kids in the car either!! It was actually quite common back in the day.

20 years ago is 1992, animal cruelty was known in 92.

It makes me sick thinking about it.

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM

It makes me feel terrible.

Jess
02-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Howard Stern is the one that was talking about the dog defecating all over the car and not letting the dog out, I believe. I'm not impressed, nor ever have been impressed, with Howard Stern.

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM

20 years ago is 1992, animal cruelty was known in 92.

It makes me sick thinking about it.

It could have been a 12hr trip and they stopped for brakes here and there. With a kennel large enough, why would that be any different than a kennel in the back of a pickup truck bed? Dogs LOVE this as Romney stated his dog did. If the breed or particular type of dog isn't afraid of this type of travel, then I hardly see it as animal cruelty.

Do you also take issue with people all over the country that allow their dogs to travel in the bed of their pickup trucks, which is infinitely more dangerous?

Unless we or SOMEONE was there to tell us the specifics, it sounds like just another family that went on vacation, and traveled with their dog the way many people did back then. And it sounds like the dog enjoyed it.

Jess
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM

It really depends, Chloe.

Some things that we assume would be frightening for a dog really aren't. You would assume that hearing guns going off in close quarters would scare dogs but it doesn't.

They adjust and acclimate to things that we never would.

Again - not saying it's right, just saying that they are not people and we simply cannot always ascribe the feelings and emotions of people to them. They are animals. Dogs will still kill other dogs' puppies, each other, other animals, etc. They are not human beings.

Abbey Marie
02-04-2012, 02:12 PM
I feel sorry for the dog, and I don't condone it. But I doubt that Mitt deserves the label animal abuser for one questionable incident. I expect the kids pressured him to bring it, and there wasn't room in the car. Irish Setters are big and rambunctious dogs.

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
I feel sorry for the dog, and I don't condone it. But I doubt that Mitt deserves the label animal abuser for one questionable incident. I expect the kids pressured him to bring it, and there wasn't room in the car. Irish Setters are big and rambunctious dogs.

I don't care how much anyone pressured me I wouldn't do that to an animal.

fj1200
02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Is this a true rumor?

I heard that it was Grandma on the roof and the dog tied to the bumper. That could be something else though. ;)

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
It could have been a 12hr trip and they stopped for brakes here and there. With a kennel large enough, why would that be any different than a kennel in the back of a pickup truck bed? Dogs LOVE this as Romney stated his dog did. If the breed or particular type of dog isn't afraid of this type of travel, then I hardly see it as animal cruelty.

Do you also take issue with people all over the country that allow their dogs to travel in the bed of their pickup trucks, which is infinitely more dangerous?

Unless we or SOMEONE was there to tell us the specifics, it sounds like just another family that went on vacation, and traveled with their dog the way many people did back then. And it sounds like the dog enjoyed it.

I wouldn't put my dog on the roof of my car or the back of a truck.

My dogs ride inside the car.

Would you put your cute little darlings on a 12 houir ride on top of your car?

Jess

Labs retrieve ducks in frigid waters that would probably kill a human. Hounds will tear themselves up following a scent that they're hooked on. Working dogs will ignore pain to do their job, be it herding cattle, checking for drugs or protecting their person. Dogs are amazing and we cannot pretend to know what they "think".

Kids used to ride in the back window of cars 20 or 30 years ago. Not the safest thing and illegal NOW but it was pretty standard back then. We used to make the trip up to MI to see the family with the back door of the station wagon completely down. We rode on tractors, over the wheels, all the time when we were kids. We rode on the top of a full hayrack, probably 10+ feet above the ground, swaying, going down the road to the farm.

Good times, eh?

chloe
I heard that it was Grandma on the roof and the dog tied to the bumper. That could be something else though. ;)

I heard it was a black guy and Ron Paul was driving.

fj1200
02-04-2012, 02:22 PM
I heard it was a black guy and Ron Paul was driving.

No, that was either someone named Bush or the guy that actually wrote RP's newsletter. :poke:

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
No, that was either someone named Bush or the guy that actually wrote RP's newsletter. :poke:

:laugh2: It was On Ron Paul's insurance note he signed for the guy to drive, he WANTED the roof incident to happen.

Jess
02-04-2012, 02:26 PM

My dog rode in cars or in the back of trucks. My sister's dog rides on the 4 wheeler, tractor or hayrack when she's not in the back of the truck.

My kids have ridden more than once in the back of my father's pickup truck. But it's a whole different world out here, Chloe-girl. :)

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
My dog rode in cars or in the back of trucks. My sister's dog rides on the 4 wheeler, tractor or hayrack when she's not in the back of the truck.

My kids have ridden more than once in the back of my father's pickup truck. But it's a whole different world out here, Chloe-girl. :)

I just don't agree with it, I think it dangerous is all.

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Nope, mine get treated like royalty. But I don't think the people in my brothers neck of the woods in Georgia, who drive with their dogs in the back of their pickups, are animal abusers, no more than I think Romney is. People are different and so are the dogs.

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Nope, mine get treated like royalty. But I don't think the people in my brothers neck of the woods in Georgia, who drive with their dogs in the back of their pickups, are animal abusers, no more than I think Romney is. People are different and so are the dogs.

Romney ain't from Georgia.

I think he places no value on animals.

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I heard Obama is a muslim AND an Atheist, he also is not American.:laugh2:

Also I heard his real dad is that commie Malcom X :rolleyes:

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Romney ain't from Georgia.

I think he places no value on animals.

A dog is a dog, and a vehicle is a vehicle. The dog would be safer in that position than in a pickup bed, whether you're from Georgia or Mass. But you're entitle to your own opinion, it is America still!

chloe
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
A dog is a dog, and a vehicle is a vehicle. The dog would be safer in that position than in a pickup bed, whether you're from Georgia or Mass. But you're entitle to your own opinion, it is America still!

You wouldnt put you pug on the roof. NUFF SAID :salute:

Gunny
02-04-2012, 02:54 PM

It was just as common back in the day for children to ride unsecured in big Chrysler gunboats. I didn't even know where my seatbelt was until sometime in the 80s when someone decided it was in my best interest to wear one. And the dogs/cats were just as unsecured in the back of the car as the rest of us.

When reviewing the actions of others, we probably could do a better job keeping them in context of the time they happened. Back in the day, seatbelts were something you usually had to dig out from behind the seat and were crusted over with years of crap and unuse.

IF the rumor is true, the dog was probably safer in a kennel atop the car than it would have been in the back of 60s size automobile. Heck, I went airborne from the back seat into the front more than once.

And look how I turned out.:laugh:

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
You wouldnt put you pug on the roof. NUFF SAID :salute:

Me not wanting to do so, to a Toy Breed, is hardly evidence of "animal abuse" against those who have done so, or place their animals in truck beds. What "I" would do has no bearing on the situation.

jimnyc
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
It was just as common back in the day for children to ride unsecured in big Chrysler gunboats. I didn't even know where my seatbelt was until sometime in the 80s when someone decided it was in my best interest to wear one. And the dogs/cats were just as unsecured in the back of the car as the rest of us.

When reviewing the actions of others, we probably could do a better job keeping them in context of the time they happened. Back in the day, seatbelts were something you usually had to dig out from behind the seat and were crusted over with years of crap and unuse.

IF the rumor is true, the dog was probably safer in a kennel atop the car than it would have been in the back of 60s size automobile. Heck, I went airborne from the back seat into the front more than once.

Yeah, we had a shitty old station wagon. We never wore seatbelts, but I remember seeing them when I would dig through the cushions for spare change! We also rode in the back of my Dad's pickup all the time.

chloe
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Me not wanting to do so, to a Toy Breed, is hardly evidence of "animal abuse" against those who have done so, or place their animals in truck beds. What "I" would do has no bearing on the situation.

just say Im right or post a picture of yourself cuddling your pug real cutely.:laugh2:

chloe
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM

You turned out Great Chief, but I still think all that other stuff dangerous.

Abbey Marie
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't care how much anyone pressured me I wouldn't do that to an animal.

Okay

chloe
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Okay

:salute:
;)

Jess
02-04-2012, 03:17 PM

How much damage did you do to the vehicle, sweetie? :neener:

We once packed 8 people in the FRONT of an El Camino. For real.

Abbey Marie
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
How much damage did you do to the vehicle, sweetie? :neener:

We once packed 8 people in the FRONT of an El Camino. For real.

Good lord, smart person who called shotgun on that ride!

Jess
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Good lord, smart person who called shotgun on that ride!

In the vehicle was my mom, dad, myself, four siblings and a foreign exchange student. I only vaguely remember it.

revelarts
02-05-2012, 07:02 PM

Labs retrieve ducks in frigid waters that would probably kill a human. Hounds will tear themselves up following a scent that they're hooked on. Working dogs will ignore pain to do their job, be it herding cattle, checking for drugs or protecting their person. Dogs are amazing and we cannot pretend to know what they "think".

Kids used to ride in the back window of cars 20 or 30 years ago. Not the safest thing and illegal NOW but it was pretty standard back then. We used to make the trip up to MI to see the family with the back door of the station wagon completely down. We rode on tractors, over the wheels, all the time when we were kids. We rode on the top of a full hayrack, probably 10+ feet above the ground, swaying, going down the road to the farm.

Good times, eh?
yeah..
but CHole I want you to babysit our dog (when we get another one) but I don't think it a bad thing that Romney did.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1623299795427&id=3625ae329285b72ffa68d555c6b6dbbb&url=http%3a%2f%2fstatic.flickr.com%2f4052%2f440689 7158_1f7e42117e_z.jpg

People round the world still ride loose today.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1622824922637&id=daf592179f4574e19a3d18f10939bdb2&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.terragalleria.com%2fimages%2f vietnam%2fviet7696.jpeg

It's not so bad.

c'mon mom

:cool:

Noir
02-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I'd heard about this, its hilarious to see him defend himself on fox news, then to be told what he did was illegal and regarded by the law (and imo, most humans) as cruel xD

jimnyc
02-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd heard about this, its hilarious to see him defend himself on fox news, then to be told what he did was illegal and regarded by the law (and imo, most humans) as cruel xD

Because this occurred in 1983, it wasn't against the law back then.

Noir
02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Because this occurred in 1983, it wasn't against the law back then.

So the question then is - would he do it again?
If so, he's willingly being cruel to a pet contrary to the law.
If not, then it would seem he's only not don't it because he could get in legal trouble, nothing to do with the cruelty faced by his poor pup.

Lose lose, but thats what happens when you do something stupid like strap your dog to a box on a car for 12 hours.

jimnyc
02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
So the question then is - would he do it again?
If so, he's willingly being cruel to a pet contrary to the law.
If not, then it would seem he's only not don't it because he could get in legal trouble, nothing to do with the cruelty faced by his poor pup.

Lose lose, but thats what happens when you do something stupid like strap your dog to a box on a car for 12 hours.

If the dog jumped up their happily and willingly, and enjoyed his trip, just like so many do in the back of pickup trucks, is it still a "poor pup" or cruel? WHat specifically makes it cruel?

ConHog
02-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Stupid Romney, why didn't he just fly the dog in his own airplane a la B. Obama?