PDA

View Full Version : Abso!

jimnyc
02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Just saw you online and it jogged my memory. Why would people over the kill one another on such a grand scale over a soccer game? This seems worse than some of the hooligan crap you see in the UK!

(AP) CAIRO - Police fired salvos of tear gas and birdshot Friday at rock-throwing protesters in Cairo as popular anger over a deadly soccer riot spilled over into a second day of street violence that left at least five people dead and more than 1,500 injured nationwide, officials said.

The protesters blame the police for failing to prevent a melee after a soccer match in the Mediterranean city of Port Said on Wednesday that killed 74 people in the soccer world's worst violence in 15 years. Tensions across the nation have spiked in the wake of the riot, fueling anger at the ruling generals who took power after the uprising that ousted President Hosni Mubarak last February.

Egyptians furious over the bloodshed took to the streets Friday in Cairo, Alexandria, Suez and several Nile Delta cities, in many cases sparking clashes with security forces.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57371434/5-dead-in-egypt-clashes-over-deadly-soccer-riot/

ConHog
02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I miss abso posting, I can never get enough of " Islam is the religion of peace"

gabosaurus
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I was reading about this. It seems that the riot was more about politics than the actual game itself. Apparently the team that lost has a lot of fans who supported the former government. And the home team (Port Said) was a base of the insurgent movement. Something to that effect.

It's not like Europe, where soccer fans don't need an excuse to beat each other up. :cool: