PDA

View Full Version : Verified Military members?

darin
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Any thoughts about initiating a process to verify a forum member's military / veteran's status? I'm thinking we limit the military-affiliation badges to those members who provide a modicum of proof of their service. Perhaps we issue a special 'verified' tag to those who want to remove-all-question, and leave it as-is for those who simply wish to claim service? In today's world, fakes come out of the woodwork too often. Maybe a 'sanitized' DD214 sent to Jim or another Admin for review? Folks can remove SSNs, and other stuff (next of kin info/addresses), etc. I dunno - what do you think?

CSM
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Hmmm.... That is a tough one. I'll have to think about what I could send/post as verification. I don't have a scanner so 'll have to find someone to do that too.

darin
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
A photo of a document? I dunno man. I sent in a redacted DD214 to another military site. At first I was put-off, but I LOVE knowing with reasonable confidence those who claim service actually served. Make sense? The forum doesn't require verification, but puts some forums off-limits for those w/o the verification. I like the closed-community feel. When I post there, I know with reasonable assurance, folks there are honest and of a certain background.

CSM
02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
A photo of a document? I dunno man. I sent in a redacted DD214 to another military site. At first I was put-off, but I LOVE knowing with reasonable confidence those who claim service actually served. Make sense? The forum doesn't require verification, but puts some forums off-limits for those w/o the verification. I like the closed-community feel. When I post there, I know with reasonable assurance, folks there are honest and of a certain background.

Oh I don't disagree with your thinking, just trying to figure out how I can verify. I was thinking maybe the top half of my ID card; showing just Army Seal, picture, etc and says "U.S. Army Retired"; or maybe a scan of the fancy letter promoting me to CSM. It has no specific personal info on that. Hmmm....

darin
02-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Oh I don't disagree with your thinking, just trying to figure out how I can verify. I was thinking maybe the top half of my ID card; showing just Army Seal, picture, etc and says "U.S. Army Retired"; or maybe a scan of the fancy letter promoting me to CSM. It has no specific personal info on that. Hmmm....

Those are great ideas. :)

ConHog
02-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I find the notion repugnant. I prefer to believe that no one on this board would be so callous as to claim military service without having served.

That being said, I will provide proof if it voted on by my fellow vets. I will be disgusted by it, but I will do it.

Poor Gunny though, papyrus is a VERY fragile material and so shouldn't be sent through a scanner. :laugh2:

CSM
02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
I find the notion repugnant. I prefer to believe that no one on this board would be so callous as to claim military service without having served.

That being said, I will provide proof if it voted on by my fellow vets. I will be disgusted by it, but I will do it.

Poor Gunny though, papyrus is a VERY fragile material and so shouldn't be sent through a scanner. :laugh2:

Poor Gunny??? Just how hard do you think it's going to be for me to get this stone tablet onto a scanner?

CSM
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Hmm ... I think for the most part that posters here are pretty honest. However, I have had my doubts about some in the past. I was thinking that maybe I'd send some sort of proof to ONE other poster that I trust, and he verifies to the rest of the board (IF AND WHEN NECESSARY) without having to reveal how he knows for sure. FOr example, I send something to you that is obviously verification (like something I mentioned above). Only yoiu and I know what it is and we don't necessarily have to say ANYTHING but if my calim of being a vet is ever questioned (which happens to some folks here) you can simply say that you verify I am a vet. Case closed. I would not want to see this go too far with too many details but that would seem to lay to rest some really contentious threads.

Jess
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM

On another board (and Neo can back me up on this), a young man claimed to be a combat vet who had lost a leg while in Afghanistan, I believe. It was later found out that he was nothing but a troll.

But how far do you go in trying to verify people's claims? Those who are what they are - well, others who have been in the service can usually tell. That's from a civilian's point of view, anyway. I guess the only concern I would have is if any of the information was personalized, which it would almost have to be, and then someone who should not have that info was able to access it. Dunno if that's a big deal or not to y'all.

Jess
02-07-2012, 10:43 AM

I can take a pic of the papyrus with my phone and send it in. ;)

ConHog
02-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Hmm ... I think for the most part that posters here are pretty honest. However, I have had my doubts about some in the past. I was thinking that maybe I'd send some sort of proof to ONE other poster that I trust, and he verifies to the rest of the board (IF AND WHEN NECESSARY) without having to reveal how he knows for sure. FOr example, I send something to you that is obviously verification (like something I mentioned above). Only yoiu and I know what it is and we don't necessarily have to say ANYTHING but if my calim of being a vet is ever questioned (which happens to some folks here) you can simply say that you verify I am a vet. Case closed. I would not want to see this go too far with too many details but that would seem to lay to rest some really contentious threads.

My problem with that quite frankly is that I don't trust ANYONE on message boards enough to give them any actual details about who I am, it's nothing personal, I've just went down that road and it's not happening again. No matter the cost.

However, if some would like to know if I served there are a few members on a certain board who attempted to get me in trouble with my former commanding officer (well way up the chain of command anyway) perhaps they can verify. :laugh2:

Jess
02-07-2012, 12:11 PM
My problem with that quite frankly is that I don't trust ANYONE on message boards enough to give them any actual details about who I am, it's nothing personal, I've just went down that road and it's not happening again. No matter the cost.

However, if some would like to know if I served there are a few members on a certain board who attempted to get me in trouble with my former commanding officer (well way up the chain of command anyway) perhaps they can verify. :laugh2:

That's the smartest way to go, generally.

darin
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM

That's why the verification process would be completely optional. You could still keep the military tag; those who send proof would have 'verified' along with that tag. Fair for all.

trobinett
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, don't see as how this is very important, in the over all scope of things. It will ALL come out in the wash, those who lie, will trip themselves up, just can't keep tract of all the BS.

:coffee:

ConHog
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
That's why the verification process would be completely optional. You could still keep the military tag; those who send proof would have 'verified' along with that tag. Fair for all.

I could live with that. Price I pay for not trusting anyone LOL

Gaffer
02-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Nine times out of ten a phony will claim to be special forces, those are the ones to question. There are often those that did serve that tend to embellish their time in the service. But they did serve. A few simple questions will tell a lot about someone's service. When were you there, what unit were you in? That sort of thing will tell a lot to the real vet. A little bit of basic information can be checked out easily with the internet.

The red flag is always those that claim to be special forces of some kind. But verifying service is not practical on here. won't work without invading privacy.

CSM
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Nine times out of ten a phony will claim to be special forces, those are the ones to question. There are often those that did serve that tend to embellish their time in the service. But they did serve. A few simple questions will tell a lot about someone's service. When were you there, what unit were you in? That sort of thing will tell a lot to the real vet. A little bit of basic information can be checked out easily with the internet.

The red flag is always those that claim to be special forces of some kind. But verifying service is not practical on here. won't work without invading privacy.

I tend ot agree in that the wannabees usually claim to be some kind of Rambo with this special unit or that special unit. It's a wonder sometimes that the plain old Army had enough soldiers because so many were special ops!

jimnyc
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Any thoughts about initiating a process to verify a forum member's military / veteran's status? I'm thinking we limit the military-affiliation badges to those members who provide a modicum of proof of their service. Perhaps we issue a special 'verified' tag to those who want to remove-all-question, and leave it as-is for those who simply wish to claim service? In today's world, fakes come out of the woodwork too often. Maybe a 'sanitized' DD214 sent to Jim or another Admin for review? Folks can remove SSNs, and other stuff (next of kin info/addresses), etc. I dunno - what do you think?

I think it's an awesome idea - but I would withdraw myself from any verification process. I'm not military, and I would feel akward expecting a veteran to have to "prove" anything to me, even if it is just to get a verified tag. Additionally, as owner, too many problems about trust with information could come back to haunt the board. People already make up all kinds of stupid stories when angry with me, I wouldn't want to open myself up, or the veteran, to any kind of accusations.

BUT, I wholeheartedly agree with your idea in principle, and would nominate you in a heartbeat to lead the cause, so long as you share nothing with me other than a yes or no.

darin
02-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Absolutely - if any of the folk here wanna see, I'd send them an example of how I edited my documents for the other site I'm on. Basically sent my name, proof of assignments (although it's not complete list) awards (incomplete, too) and period of service on my DD214s (I have two). I emailed them in to an admin - here's their stated privacy policy:

In recent years the art of falsifying military service and awards (a.k.a. posing) has become a frequent occurance within the military community. Obviously this is an unacceptable practice and opens the door to operational and personal security violations. ... We do not have the time or patience to try and figure out who exactly you are and what type of OPSEC/PERSEC you should be privy to, so in order to eliminates any ambiguity that may otherwise exist the verification process was implemented. This process ensures that our members and visitors are communicating with credible professionals and it also preserves the integrity of the community...The preferred method is via email. You can send your documentation (preferably with sensitive information redacted)...once your verification packet has been completed, your information will be destroyed

Keep in mind, this is a military forum/community. It's much more essential in that environment. Still, doing something like that (Verify-LITE?), would provide another good way to recognize the service of our membership; and again, be completely optional. I would, personally, however, feel much better about debating/discussing this stuff with folks I knew (or had reasonable assurance) weren't imposters.

Just an idea - not going to mandate or start anything - will leave that up to others. :) Maybe I'll create a custom 'Verified' badge and try it out?

Jim - if we do something like this, I'd have the first person I verify, verify ME - so there's some accountability; vs me just declaring i'm 'verified', ya know? Make sense?

jimnyc
02-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Just an idea - not going to mandate or start anything - will leave that up to others. :) Maybe I'll create a custom 'Verified' badge and try it out?

Jim - if we do something like this, I'd have the first person I verify, verify ME - so there's some accountability; vs me just declaring i'm 'verified', ya know? Make sense?

If you can make the badge, we can work something out from there...

As for you, not sure its necessary with all the "proof" you have posted over the years, but I suppose everyone should have to participate in order to get the badge.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:02 PM

What are you talking about? They used to call me Agent Orange back in Nam. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Hmm. Next thing you know Jim will ask us to "verfiy" boobies. :eek: Only for a badge,of course.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Hmm. Next thing you know Jim will ask us to "verfiy" boobies. :eek: Only for a badge,of course.

Ironically, I would have no problem with that LOL

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Only if we've got DDs.

jimnyc
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM

That's a damn good idea!! Upgrades to accounts for pics in panties or boobies!! (women only of course!)

Abbey Marie
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
But where would we pin the badge?

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I tend ot agree in that the wannabees usually claim to be some kind of Rambo with this special unit or that special unit. It's a wonder sometimes that the plain old Army had enough soldiers because so many were special ops!

True story - the ex "used to hang out with SEALs". Yup, that's his story.

He was a welder on a sub-tender. Out in under 3 years on medical. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
02-07-2012, 02:11 PM
But where would we pin the badge?

no comment :laugh2:

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
no comment :laugh2:

Board-sponsored tattoo on the left buttock?

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
That's a damn good idea!! Upgrades to accounts for pics in panties or boobies!! (women only of course!)

That's discrimination you sexist pig . :laugh2:

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM

If you're wearing "panties" or have big ole breasts, I don't wanna see em, CH. Sorry, just not how I roll.

CSM
02-07-2012, 02:16 PM
What are you talking about? They used to call me Agent Orange back in Nam. :laugh:

Now that is funny! They used to call me "dumbass" .... true story, bro!

CSM
02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

I dunno what yer complainin about. I have too many blue ribbons for my manly endowments already so one more from this board just gets thrown on to the pile.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
I dunno what yer complainin about. I have too many blue ribbons for my manly endowments already so one more from this board just gets thrown on to the pile.

It just makes me mad that Jim wants to see my ass privately but is ashamed of me in public. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Gaffer
02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Now that is funny! They used to call me "dumbass" .... true story, bro!

They called me that too. Are we related?

CSM
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM

I think our fathers went to different schools together.

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
It just makes me mad that Jim wants to see my ass privately but is ashamed of me in public. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

What the ...?!?!? I thought I was the only one ... well, what with the coffee jitters and whatnot ...

OH, Jimmy .... :fighting0061:

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM

In boot camp Drill Sargent Thomas was from Texas and thus jealous of people from Arkansas and I got tagged with Private Pig Fucker.

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
In boot camp Drill Sargent Thomas was from Texas and thus jealous of people from Arkansas and I got tagged with Private Pig Fucker.

:lol9:

LMAO!

A friend of mine went into the Army and has a long name - German descent. He was called Private Alphabet.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
:lol9:

LMAO!

A friend of mine went into the Army and has a long name - German descent. He was called Private Alphabet.

We had three DIs and they each varied in how they addressed anyone. Edwards was the head dick and he gave everyone individual nick names, Edwards was a big black guy and he called everyone dick licker, and Ames was a little bitch of a woman who called everyone Joe.

gabosaurus
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Hmmm, don't see as how this is very important, in the over all scope of things. It will ALL come out in the wash, those who lie, will trip themselves up, just can't keep tract of all the BS.

Why does this even matter? Do you really want to haggle over some insignificant forum emoticon?
How sad that some people sit around all day with nothing better to do than think of these things. :rolleyes:

Mr. P
02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Just my 2 cents... A vet on this or any other board can pick a fake vet in a heartbeat.

But, in the end what's a tag mean? "We" know who we are.

SassyLady
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I cannot verify that I was in Army because I wasn't.... just married for 18 years to a soldier. You can remove my badge if you want...we are getting divorced.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 09:49 PM
I cannot verify that I was in Army because I wasn't.... just married for 18 years to a soldier. You can remove my badge if you want...we are getting divorced.

Sorry to hear about your impending divorce.

Would be pure shame to see your badge removed. You "served" 18 years didn't you?

SassyLady
02-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your impending divorce.Would be pure shame to see your badge removed. You "served" 18 years didn't you?Thank you and yes I did.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Thank you and yes I did.

Then no more talk about taking your badge silly woman.

pegwinn
02-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Hope no one gets offended but I am not providing anything in writing other than my word. I used to scoff at the whole identity theft nonsense with a joke along the lines of "who'd want my ID? I live a boring life not counting getting lucky from time to time". Yeah that was cool until my ID from TRICARE and then TRS got compromised. Now I am paying two different outfits to keep an eye on my stuff and let me stay boring.

Hope there are no hard feelings down the road over this.

Oh, all us dumbasses are related. Cussins I think.

Anyone with more than eight letters in his/her last name, or if it starts with a mouthful of consonants and ends in 'ski' was nicknamed Alphabet.

ConHog
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Hope no one gets offended but I am not providing anything in writing other than my word. I used to scoff at the whole identity theft nonsense with a joke along the lines of "who'd want my ID? I live a boring life not counting getting lucky from time to time". Yeah that was cool until my ID from TRICARE and then TRS got compromised. Now I am paying two different outfits to keep an eye on my stuff and let me stay boring.

Anyone with more than eight letters in his/her last name, or if it starts with a mouthful of consonants and ends in 'ski' was nicknamed Alphabet.

Were you scared when they first told you you were going to Tripoli? :laugh2::dance:

CSM
02-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Hmmm .... I don't see how this could create hard feelings since it's very much voluntary. I also don't think the removal of anything is warranted because one doesn't participate. I also understand the concerns over identity theft, especially over the internet. It is not that big a deal really; as some have pointed out, vets can usually pick out another vet pretty quickly. On the other hand I personnally have had my service questioned as have others by certain posters (most of whom no longer lurk these halls) and it did irk me a bit. It would have been nice to have another member be able to verify that I am indeed a vet. Again, no big deal. I don't think anyone will think lesser of any vet one way or the other. IF they do .... screw em!

darin
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Peg, you're verified. I have verification already. :)

CSM
02-08-2012, 07:49 AM

DMP is verified too!

Abbey Marie
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM

:laugh2: Great line, Peg.

pegwinn
02-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, It slipped my mind for a minute (half-heimers) that we crossed paths. Thanks. :coffee:

Gunny
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM

HEY! I defy ANY of you to refute my claim to be a Navy infantryman.:battleship:

Triplets, perhaps?

Not being able to spell "sergeant" would be a clue ....

Why does this even matter? Do you really want to haggle over some insignificant forum emoticon?
How sad that some people sit around all day with nothing better to do than think of these things. :rolleyes:

When we could be out doing YOUR master's bidding, or smearing his oppnent's name?

How sad for someone who doesn't care, no one can get a post in this forum without you hagging on it.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
HEY! I defy ANY of you to refute my claim to be a Navy infantryman.:battleship:

Triplets, perhaps?

Not being able to spell "sergeant" would be a clue ....

When we could be out doing YOUR master's bidding, or smearing his oppnent's name?

How sad for someone who doesn't care, no one can get a post in this forum without you hagging on it.

A clue to what? A clue that I misspell words sometimes? By the way, you misspelled opponent in your post, does that say something about YOU? Sheesh

Abbey Marie
02-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I propose that the official way to achieve verification is to show a pic of yourself sitting across from a Pyramid.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
A clue to what? A clue that I misspell words sometimes? By the way, you misspelled opponent in your post, does that say something about YOU? Sheesh

Was a :poke:. Geez.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I propose that the official way to achieve verification is to show a pic of yourself sitting across from a Pyramid.

How a pic of Iwo Jima from the deck of LHD-4 (that would be the USS Boxer)?

ConHog
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Was a :poke:. Geez.

It's all good Gunny.

Abbey Marie
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

It was a reference to a former member from New England, who insisted repeatedly that pic alone was proof of his Naval service. I especially loved all the ships docked around the Pyramids. ;)

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 04:51 PM

I believe that's a Virgil reference! :lol:

Abbey Marie
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
I believe that's a Virgil reference! :lol:

:battleship::hyper:

Gunny
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
It was a reference to a former member from New England, who insisted repeatedly that pic alone was proof of his Naval service. I especially loved all the ships docked around the Pyramids. ;)

Trust me. If and when I ever get to this pic (it's in storage in San Antonio), it DOESN'T look like ships docked at wherever. It was my birthday, 1998, and we were offshore of Iwo Jima on the rolling deck of an LHD. In civilian terms, that would be a mini-carrier. If you ever want to have some fun, try running 3 miles on the deck of a moving carrier -- only takes 33 trips around on that non-skid. Hell on the go-fasters, and you have to do it before flight ops begins.

SassyLady
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Is this good enough? Our 10th anniversary is the first one and then a few years later at a Battalion Ball.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 09:08 PM

is this good enough? Our 10th anniversary.

ahoooga!!

pegwinn
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM

On top of Mount Fuji, or a few pics of Camp Fuji after a 54 inch (ya read that right) snowfall?

pegwinn
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
ahoooga!!

Imitating the diving klaxon as the caption for a beach pic says strange things.....

SassyLady
02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Imitating the diving klaxon as the caption for a beach pic says strange things.....

yeah, I know, huh....thought it would rate at least a "hooah!"

pegwinn
02-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Hell I'll give you an oohrah. White on a beach is a bold move :2up:

Was that Honolulu? Looked like the beach access from the Hale Koa. And, your pic is dated about two weeks after I retired.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM

Hmm, don't yall watch cartoons?

Don't you remember when the male cartoon character seen the hot female character and his eyes bugged out and aoooga ? Sheesh

SassyLady
02-09-2012, 10:03 PM

Don't you remember when the male cartoon character seen the hot female character and his eyes bugged out and aoooga ? Sheesh

Wow....that was for me? I have always played second fiddle to hubby when he's in uniform I thought you were commenting on him.

Sorry!

PS...thanks!

ConHog
02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow....that was for me? I have always played second fiddle to hubby when he's in uniform I thought you were commenting on him.

Sorry!

PS...thanks!

I didn't even notice he was in the picture.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM

:hubba:

Gunny
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
On top of Mount Fuji, or a few pics of Camp Fuji after a 54 inch (ya read that right) snowfall?

You can keep that place. I wasn't fond of Korea in February for Team Spirit, either. I didn't see much "team" NOR "spirit". Just a lot of individuals trying to not freeze to death.:laugh:

On the brighter side, again in storage, I've got some pics of me chillin' at Patong Beach on Phuket.:alcoholic:

ConHog
02-10-2012, 12:07 PM
You can keep that place. I wasn't fond of Korea in February for Team Spirit, either. I didn't see much "team" NOR "spirit". Just a lot of individuals trying to not freeze to death.:laugh:

On the brighter side, again in storage, I've got some pics of me chillin' at Patong Beach on Phuket.:alcoholic:

Funny , I have a friend who spent a year in Korea (Army) says that it definitely convinced him that hell is freezing cold, not hot. Seriously said he thought about going AWOL more than once. Worst part he said was that his wife and kid couldn't go with him. Totally dumb in my opinion, but typical Army.

pegwinn
02-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Yeah, Team Spirit gave a whole new definition of "sucked". We went down the side of the LKA just like WWII. Learned that one doesn't grab the horizonals and that the mike boat and the ship rocked in a way guaranteed to get you slammed into the side of the ship at least once.

This was early 86 IIRC. We got soaked on the boats, and it was wet the entire time we were incountry. It was either raining, snowing, misting, or sleeting. Once the exercise was over we stayed to do the Mtn War Package at MuChuk.

Remember when we switched from steel pots to the fritz lookalike kevlars? I wasn't a big fan until the downdraft of a ch 46 blew the engine cover off the mule we were getting ready to load with chow. That thing clocked me in the grape and knocked me out cold. Loved those helmets ever since. :laugh:

Fuji though was freaking awesome. Best kept secret over there.

Gaffer
02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah, Team Spirit gave a whole new definition of "sucked". We went down the side of the LKA just like WWII. Learned that one doesn't grab the horizonals and that the mike boat and the ship rocked in a way guaranteed to get you slammed into the side of the ship at least once.

This was early 86 IIRC. We got soaked on the boats, and it was wet the entire time we were incountry. It was either raining, snowing, misting, or sleeting. Once the exercise was over we stayed to do the Mtn War Package at MuChuk.

Remember when we switched from steel pots to the fritz lookalike kevlars? I wasn't a big fan until the downdraft of a ch 46 blew the engine cover off the mule we were getting ready to load with chow. That thing clocked me in the grape and knocked me out cold. Loved those helmets ever since. :laugh:

While we were attached to the Marines at Chu Li our platoon was sent to check out some islands, one of which they had been getting mortar fire from. They loaded us on one of those old landing craft and we went in with a beach landing assault. Was kinda exciting and scary for a bit until we got ashore and discover there was no one on the island. But it was just like I had seen in the movies, minus receiving fire. Went to two other islands on the big amtraks. Those things were huge and ran almost submerged the whole way. We rode on top.

Never made it to Fuji but spent a week in Tokyo for R&R that was awesome.

pegwinn
02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
While we were attached to the Marines at Chu Li our platoon was sent to check out some islands, one of which they had been getting mortar fire from. They loaded us on one of those old landing craft and we went in with a beach landing assault. Was kinda exciting and scary for a bit until we got ashore and discover there was no one on the island. But it was just like I had seen in the movies, minus receiving fire. Went to two other islands on the big amtraks. Those things were huge and ran almost submerged the whole way. We rode on top.

Never made it to Fuji but spent a week in Tokyo for R&R that was awesome.

Hate Amtraks. Hate LCACS worse. Hate Helo's the worstest. Would rather ride in a truck or just hump it.

Tokyo rocks. Only city in the world where I could walk around totally hammered at 3 am and no one tried to mug me. I saw Fuji twice. Once as a visitor with 1/3 and then for a year as permanent personnel. If you have to go unaccompanied, that is the place.

Gaffer
02-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Hate Amtraks. Hate LCACS worse. Hate Helo's the worstest. Would rather ride in a truck or just hump it.

Tokyo rocks. Only city in the world where I could walk around totally hammered at 3 am and no one tried to mug me. I saw Fuji twice. Once as a visitor with 1/3 and then for a year as permanent personnel. If you have to go unaccompanied, that is the place.

Yeah it is quite a lot of fun there. The only thing I got tired of was the pimps constantly getting in my face. My buddy and I stopped for coffee at a small restaurant and I mentioned to him I was gonna kick the ass of the next pimp that got in my face. There was one near by when I said it. When we left there not a single pimp came near us all the way back to our hotel. The word spread fast there. :laugh:

I can't count the number of times I rode in choppers. I rode in trucks twice. I rode on an M60 tank once, that is not comfortable. Vehicles were rocket magnets. I preferred be far away from them.

pegwinn
02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah it is quite a lot of fun there. The only thing I got tired of was the pimps constantly getting in my face. My buddy and I stopped for coffee at a small restaurant and I mentioned to him I was gonna kick the ass of the next pimp that got in my face. There was one near by when I said it. When we left there not a single pimp came near us all the way back to our hotel. The word spread fast there. :laugh:

I can't count the number of times I rode in choppers. I rode in trucks twice. I rode on an M60 tank once, that is not comfortable. Vehicles were rocket magnets. I preferred be far away from them.

Heh. Like the pimp stylin. I don't blame you a bit for staying away from things attracting things that make loud noises. Never rode on the outside of a tank. Can't imagine it being any kind of comfortable. At least the bed of most trucks has a camo net or two wadded up you can try to rack out on.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 08:38 AM

I think only that squid driver had a dry spot. Damned commie. As I recall, the first week to ten days we just lurched from bulkhead to bulkhead, getting hammered by valves, pipes and whatever else could skewer us until we got our sea legs.

You guys had rain and sleet? We had cold, and snow in 84. A change in weather meant more cold and more snow. And that was in that old, Korean War vintage "cold weather gear" aka "another layer". Remember the Mickey Mouse boots? I guess they were better than the combat boots we had then.

Funniest thing (true story): Remember how the chow halls were then? You held out your tray and got what you were given? So here we come back from Korea to Kadena. The Japs won't let us take a foot off the place until they inspect any-and-everything for Korean "cooties". We had to eat chow at the Kadena chow hall. Get in line, grab our trays and step up and the Airman is like, "What do you want?" We just looked at each other. "What do you want" wasn't programmed into our brain housing groups.:laugh:

Gunny
02-11-2012, 08:43 AM

You mean you didn't like sitting in back of a 46 counting the hydraulic fluid leaks? If you walked around Kitimae hammered at 3AM no one would try to mug you. You'd be the only one there.

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 02:18 PM
You mean you didn't like sitting in back of a 46 counting the hydraulic fluid leaks? If you walked around Kitimae hammered at 3AM no one would try to mug you. You'd be the only one there.

Buddy of mine was a crew chief on a 53E. He told me that they only worried when the leak stopped. That meant the damn thing was out of fluid. :slap:

The day goretex and polypros were authorized as optional wear, I went to Kadena and bought them since the Hansen cash sales was "backordered". But, during that same Team Spirit I wore a mopp suit I found in a trucks tool box under a gumby suit. Stank like hell and made way too much noise when walking around. But, I was a whisker warmer than the other guys.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Buddy of mine was a crew chief on a 53E. He told me that they only worried when the leak stopped. That meant the damn thing was out of fluid. :slap:

The day goretex and polypros were authorized as optional wear, I went to Kadena and bought them since the Hansen cash sales was "backordered". But, during that same Team Spirit I wore a mopp suit I found in a trucks tool box under a gumby suit. Stank like hell and made way too much noise when walking around. But, I was a whisker warmer than the other guys.

All I remember about Hansen was qualifying in January in the shittiest weather on the worst range in the world. Pulling butts was a good thing cuz you got to get out of the f-ing rain. I can clearly remember having to use my cover to block the rear sight aperature from filling with water. That was with an A1. Little harder to change your dope than the A2. I nailed a 221 in a squall and was damned proud of it.

I always swore if I ever had to qualify on a nice weather day I'd be f*cked. Dam Neck in March. 29 Palms in July. Edson range more than twice in November. My last qual with a rifle was at Edson. I shot a 243. Missed the range record by 1 point. My offhand, and 300 sitting suck. 500m in the prone and you're dead. 10 out of 10.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Not that I'd know a thing about being a Marine. I think I should be "verified".

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
All I remember about Hansen was qualifying in January in the shittiest weather on the worst range in the world. Pulling butts was a good thing cuz you got to get out of the f-ing rain. I can clearly remember having to use my cover to block the rear sight aperature from filling with water. That was with an A1. Little harder to change your dope than the A2. I nailed a 221 in a squall and was damned proud of it.

I always swore if I ever had to qualify on a nice weather day I'd be f*cked. Dam Neck in March. 29 Palms in July. Edson range more than twice in November. My last qual with a rifle was at Edson. I shot a 243. Missed the range record by 1 point. My offhand, and 300 sitting suck. 500m in the prone and you're dead. 10 out of 10.

I fired at Hansen and Schwab alla time. Once at Hansen we got a fog rolled in so thick you literally had no real visibility over about ten yards. The fog would lift and then settle. The tower announced the traditional chant for the 200 yard slow, except the ten minute time limit. We were simply directed to fire "as your targets appear". That relay lasted well over an hour.

Best score I ever got was a 239 or 240 at Hansen. That transitional course, with the hit/no hit rule was easy money. I heard they revamped it since too many people were almost maxing it out.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I fired at Hansen and Schwab alla time. Once at Hansen we got a fog rolled in so thick you literally had no real visibility over about ten yards. The fog would lift and then settle. The tower announced the traditional chant for the 200 yard slow, except the ten minute time limit. We were simply directed to fire "as your targets appear". That relay lasted well over an hour.

Best score I ever got was a 239 or 240 at Hansen. That transitional course, with the hit/no hit rule was easy money. I heard they revamped it since too many people were almost maxing it out.

Last I heard, you and I wouldn't understand qualifying anymore than the newest boot that still smelled of cash sales.:laugh:

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Last I heard, you and I wouldn't understand qualifying anymore than the newest boot that still smelled of cash sales.:laugh:

Wonder what they do with all the extra time they have since cammies are not ironed and boots are not shined?

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Wonder what they do with all the extra time they have since cammies are not ironed and boots are not shined?

Spend more time learning to be politically correct of course. :laugh2:

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

And no set of inspection brass? I STILL have mine.

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Nah. My son-in-law and daughter both went to boot camp after I retired. They are not PC by any measure. Although the young man did say that a couple of his SNCO's and a couple of CWO's remembered me. I don't understand why he added that they all had that involuntary shudder....

The only PC types were officers. And those guys were just punching the right tickets to get up to field grade or better.

Of course there are the 10% in any group, but that's just life.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Hold your breath. Better to die one of the 300 than live under the yoke of tyranny and oppression.

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
And no set of inspection brass? I STILL have mine.

No shit? Me freaking too. And, I still have a set of broke dicks that I keep under glass just so the young uns know that the myths about spit shining are true.....

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:54 PM
you two are some old fuckers. :laugh:

Okay, I remember polishing boots, ironing BDUs AND polishing brass.

Dammit, does that make me an old fucker to?

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
No shit? Me freaking too. And, I still have a set of broke dicks that I keep under glass just so the young uns know that the myths about spit shining are true.....

I wore broke dicks most of my career. My feet are messed up. The Corps-frams were for inspection only.

And yeah, I can still spit shine ....

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
you two are some old fuckers. :laugh:

Okay, I remember polishing boots, ironing BDUs AND polishing brass.

Dammit, does that make me an old fucker to?

Old is a state of mind.

According to CG MARFORHOUSE I am still 18 going on....... and on.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Old is a state of mind.

I hate to tell you, but if you ate C rats while in the service, you're old. :laugh2:

But I DO remember the Chicken Loaf MRE (most disgusting thing ever called food)

Gunny
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Old is a state of mind.

Wow. 18? I get 12 ....

Gunny
02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I hate to tell you, but if you ate C rats while in the service, you're old. :laugh2:

You CAN be replaced.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
You CAN be replaced.

Are you suggesting that you LIKED the Chicken Loaf? :laugh2:

Jess
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I wore broke dicks most of my career. My feet are messed up. The Corps-frams were for inspection only.

And yeah, I can still spit shine ....

*hands Gunny a pair of boots*

Prove it. :cool:

CSM
02-12-2012, 02:14 PM
You are an OLD vet if:

You slept in a barracks bay with 40+ other guys.

Had a foot locker display set up and ready for inspection (including shaving brush and tooth powder)

Qualified with a weapon made before 1960

Dyed brown boots black

Wore starched fatigues

Had KP duty

Know what a bunk adapter is for

Sent your clothes to the post laundry regularly

Had to get a pass to leave post (and get back on)

Know what a 3/4 ton is or even drove one

Drove a gas engine 2 1/2 ton with automatic transmission

Lots more but can't remember them all. I bet Gaffer does though, he's REALLy an old vet!

ConHog
02-12-2012, 02:37 PM
You are an OLD vet if:

Had a foot locker display set up and ready for inspection (including shaving brush and tooth powder)

Dyed brown boots black

Wore starched fatigues

Had KP duty

Lots more but can't remember them all. I bet Gaffer does though, he's REALLy an old vet!

I hear tell Gaffer actually remembers when the Cavalry rode horses. :laugh2:

Gaffer
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I remember and experienced all or most of that list. I never drove anything tho, we had to ride in the back. I do remember when they rode horses. My grandfather was in the Cavalry in WW1.

Those 40 man barracks also included toilets with no stalls and six man showers. Privacy was not to be had in the old army. You become part of the whole, resistance is futile.

ConHog
02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
I remember and experienced all or most of that list. I never drove anything tho, we had to ride in the back. I do remember when they rode horses. My grandfather was in the Cavalry in WW1.

Those 40 man barracks also included toilets with no stalls and six man showers. Privacy was not to be had in the old army. You become part of the whole, resistance is futile.

My great grandfather was in WWI, to be honest I'm not sure what he did. I vaguely remember stories he told, but he once told me a story of him pitching in the world series both for and against the st louis cardinals so...........

Seriously , by the time I was old enough to appreciate he was pretty much senile. Mores the pity because in my grandfather's house there is a tintype of my great grandfather as a young man standing next to the Younger brothers. Oh the stories...........

As to the list, I remember SOME of it, barracks were 8 man affairs when I was in boot. No squad bays.

pegwinn
02-12-2012, 09:29 PM
You are an OLD vet if:

You slept in a barracks bay with 40+ other guys. yep

Had a foot locker display set up and ready for inspection (including shaving brush and tooth powder) Ours was a single wall locker with junk on the bunk, but yep anyway

Qualified with a weapon made before 1960 M16A1, not sure of vintage. Kept a nail in the vent holes of my cover for dope changes.

Dyed brown boots black Nope. I did make several pairs of black boots brown, muddy brown.

Wore starched fatigues Cammies. Originally poplin then woodland, then poplin again.

Had KP duty Mess Duty sucks no matter where you are.

Know what a bunk adapter is for I am afeared to ask.

Sent your clothes to the post laundry regularly Yep

Had to get a pass to leave post (and get back on) Yep, Camp Johnson. Then I introduced them (Libo Cards) at Camp Fuji in 2000. Heh. Should have heard the bitchin and moaning.

Know what a 3/4 ton is or even drove one know, drove, fixed, and knew a SSgt that could bench press (the front end) one.

Drove a gas engine 2 1/2 ton with automatic transmission uhhhhhhh nope, got me there.

Good Stuff SgtMaj

Gunny
02-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Really. I was on my second enlistment before they foisted that shit on us. And I DO mean shit.

Gunny
02-12-2012, 10:20 PM
You are an OLD vet if:

Dyed brown boots black

Wore starched fatigues

Had KP duty

I can add to that.

Ever slept in a 13 man quonset hut.

Used your boot bands to draw the underside of your top horse blanket tight underneath your rack for inspection.

Used Pledge on your shower tiles to make them appear clean.

Ran in stupid, useless red and yellow sneakers the Corps labeled "running shoes".

Wore red shorts and white t-shirts to PT.

When you get issued 2 sets of sateens and 2 stes of slant-pocket jungle cammies in boot camp.

ConHog
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
I can add to that.

Used your boot bands to draw the underside of your top horse blanket tight underneath your rack for inspection.

Ran in stupid, useless red and yellow sneakers the Corps labeled "running shoes".

When you get issued 2 sets of sateens and 2 stes of slant-pocket jungle cammies in boot camp.

Ours were yellow with blue piping and so short they barely covered our dicks. I never did figure out what yellow and blue had to do with the Army LOL

Oh, and running shoes were the one piece of gear we were allowed to wear whatever we want. Nothing issued. Thank God, or my feet would probably still be recovering.

Gunny
02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Ours were yellow with blue piping and so short they barely covered our dicks. I never did figure out what yellow and blue had to do with the Army LOL

Oh, and running shoes were the one piece of gear we were allowed to wear whatever we want. Nothing issued. Thank God, or my feet would probably still be recovering.

The traditional colors of the calvary perhaps?

ConHog
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
The traditional colors of the calvary perhaps?

Color me stupid, I probably knew that at one time............

Gunny
02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Color me stupid, I probably knew that at one time............

You assume you weren't already colored that.

Gunny
02-13-2012, 09:23 AM
How about music? I always found myself sitting in the little stall in Thailand listening to the Scorpions. Or when the birds (leaking hydraulic fluid of course) dropped into Kuwait City with Metallica blaring over the loudspeaker.

Just a haunting moment in time.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
How about music? I always found myself sitting in the little stall in Thailand listening to the Scorpions. Or when the birds (leaking hydraulic fluid of course) dropped into Kuwait City with Metallica blaring over the loudspeaker.

Speaking of music. ANyone else still get a tear when they hear Wind Beneath My Wings?

Gunny
02-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Speaking of music. ANyone else still get a tear when they hear Wind Beneath My Wings?

:grenade:

ConHog
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
:grenade:

Hey, that was the song when I came back home to my wife and kid back in the day. I didn't say it was some great rock ballad. :laugh2:

Gunny
02-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey, that was the song when I came back home to my wife and kid back in the day. I didn't say it was some great rock ballad. :laugh2:

Cool.

pegwinn
02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
I can add to that.

Fuji, 29 Palms, and Talega on the Quonset Huts. Korea (Muchuck) for the eight man plywood "sea huts".

I used gator clips to tighten up the rack. And pledge will make a linolium deck slippery as hell.

got the same PT colors you had, but I got one set of jungles (trousers had a zipper) and three sets of poplins at PI. One drill instructor seemed determined to wear a sateen cover to death on those rare times it wasn't a smokey.

Over the LOD had a boom box playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" and "Die motherfucker die".

Gunny
02-14-2012, 05:36 AM
Fuji, 29 Palms, and Talega on the Quonset Huts. Korea (Muchuck) for the eight man plywood "sea huts".

I used gator clips to tighten up the rack. And pledge will make a linolium deck slippery as hell.

got the same PT colors you had, but I got one set of jungles (trousers had a zipper) and three sets of poplins at PI. One drill instructor seemed determined to wear a sateen cover to death on those rare times it wasn't a smokey.

Over the LOD had a boom box playing "Let the bodies hit the floor" and "Die motherfucker die".

I spent 4 years of my career at 29 Stumps. What's REALLY funny is when my daughter tries to tell people she was born at Twentynine Palms, CA. They're like, "no, really ...." :laugh: Then she has to whip out the virth certificate that says she was born at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms, CA.

Ever go on a CAX? 84-86 I was pat of TEECG. Got the white headband and everything. Just don't tell Capt Jones. He let me drive for him only once. Apparently my approach to Dime Dingo in a Jeep didn't jive with his innards.:laugh:

I was also one of "the few the proud" that got a Jeep up to BearMat. Most people flew.

CSM
02-14-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking you jarheads saw different parts of the world than us Army guys did or at least a different view from your balcony. However, I have slept in a quonset hut (slightly bigger than you describe), driven a jeep (what a piece of crap but fun nevertheless) into some very strange places and drove by Twentynine Palms once!

Gunny
02-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking you jarheads saw different parts of the world than us Army guys did or at least a different view from your balcony. However, I have slept in a quonset hut (slightly bigger than you describe), driven a jeep (what a piece of crap but fun nevertheless) into some very strange places and drove by Twentynine Palms once!

The whole point to "the joke's on them" is I was informed ever so solemnly that I was screwed and was going to have to drive a 4-wheel drive jeep and/or truck in the Delta and Bravo corridor at 29 Palms. The ligthbulb over Gunny's (then Corporal) head said .... "Wait ... you mean I get to drive a 4-wheeler in the desert on the Government's dime?"

Needless to say I was crushed.:laugh:

I can STILL see the look on MGySgt Baldwin's face when they got their first shipment of 4x4 S-10's and I dared look at them. He came running at full speed across the lot. "Don't even LOOK at them, Cpl ..., it'll be a cold day in Hell before you get one of my new vehicles."

You'd have thought I wrecked a few of his trucks or something.:laugh:

CSM
02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
One of the benefits to being a CSM was I got to drive my own vehicle. They thoughtfully assigned me a driver/RTO; I said "Yeah, right". The only time that poor kid got to drive was when I wasn't in the vehicle. I let him drive it occassionally; kinda like a teenager asking daddy for the keys. Staff officers would get so pissed off because they couldn't use my vehicle even if it was just sitting there. They knew they weren't getting it .... period. The commander MIGHT let them use his vehicle but, boy, they had to beg for it!

Gunny
02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
One of the benefits to being a CSM was I got to drive my own vehicle. They thoughtfully assigned me a driver/RTO; I said "Yeah, right". The only time that poor kid got to drive was when I wasn't in the vehicle. I let him drive it occassionally; kinda like a teenager asking daddy for the keys. Staff officers would get so pissed off because they couldn't use my vehicle even if it was just sitting there. They knew they weren't getting it .... period. The commander MIGHT let them use his vehicle but, boy, they had to beg for it!

Good thing it wasn't me. After I scared Capt Jones out of his skivvies, he demanded MY vehicle and allowed as how HE was driving. I merely pointed out he needed to read the trip ticket. MY vehicle and I drive. Capt Primmer, who I actually was assigned to, just buckled up and told me not to kill his radios (he was EW). Of course, he was an LDO who went from Sgt to WO to Capt. He let me beat up his (EW) SSgt.:laugh:

Let's put Capt Jones in perspective though. He was a ring knocker and a dick. He carried a S&W Model 36 (5 shot .38 special) everywhere he went and was so stupid he almost killed the Base CG by dropping the damned thing and it going off. He was determined "people wanted to kill him" because he was the 0311 grader for Combined Arms Exercises. LtCol Cisneros handed me the weapon and told me to "take care of it". He was another LDO. After I beat up the SSgt, he totally let me off the hook. And I locked the ring knocker's handgun in my safe.:laugh:

CSM
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Good thing it wasn't me. After I scared Capt Jones out of his skivvies, he demanded MY vehicle and allowed as how HE was driving. I merely pointed out he needed to read the trip ticket. MY vehicle and I drive. Capt Primmer, who I actually was assigned to, just buckled up and told me not to kill his radios (he was EW). Of course, he was an LDO who went from Sgt to WO to Capt. He let me beat up his (EW) SSgt.:laugh:

Let's put Capt Jones in perspective though. He was a ring knocker and a dick. He carried a S&W Model 36 (5 shot .38 special) everywhere he went and was so stupid he almost killed the Base CG by dropping the damned thing and it going off. He was determined "people wanted to kill him" because he was the 0311 grader for Combined Arms Exercises. LtCol Cisneros handed me the weapon and told me to "take care of it". He was another LDO. After I beat up the SSgt, he totally let me off the hook. And I locked the ring knocker's handgun in my safe.:laugh:

Sounds like the situation was handled appropriately.

Gunny
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Sounds like the situation was handled appropriately.

Everyone has their moments. SSgt Colvin reminds me of a certain poster on this board. A REMF without a clue. He put me on the range when the ex was due to have my oldest. And guess what happened on Monday, Day One of firing? The whole line got called, and I got called off the line and was told to report to the branch medical clinic. Unfortunately for the squids incvolved, I tromped into the branch medical clinic with an M-16A! and a loaded magazine. Then some squid says he has to take my weapon.

He obviouslt didn't underatand the whole "Marine on mission" concept. I wanted to know where my wife was and WTF was wrong. The corpsman in the end actually traded me this ugly pink thing that looked like Mr Spock for my weapon. BTW ... she was a medic in the Army. The ugly pink thing.

CSM
02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Everyone has their moments. SSgt Colvin reminds me of a certain poster on this board. A REMF without a clue. He put me on the range when the ex was due to have my oldest. And guess what happened on Monday, Day One of firing? The whole line got called, and I got called off the line and was told to report to the branch medical clinic. Unfortunately for the squids incvolved, I tromped into the branch medical clinic with an M-16A! and a loaded magazine. Then some squid says he has to take my weapon.

He obviouslt didn't underatand the whole "Marine on mission" concept. I wanted to know where my wife was and WTF was wrong. The corpsman in the end actually traded me this ugly pink thing that looked like Mr Spock for my weapon. BTW ... she was a medic in the Army. The ugly pink thing.

I am betting that the ugly pink thing turned into a beautiful young lady. I love that part of the story!

Mr. P
02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
I drove a UH-1H. :laugh::salute:

Gunny
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM

I've fallen out of several.:laugh:

CSM
02-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Heh. Now that is a job I had absolutely NO interest in doing. Looked far too complicated. I am very glad that some chose to do it though.

Gunny
02-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I am betting that the ugly pink thing turned into a beautiful young lady. I love that part of the story!

Daddy's little girl? Best thing I ever made. And that's one child I couldn't deny. Not only does she resemble me, she's got quite the mouth. The Army nurses were QUITE upset with her "colorful" language the other day.:laugh: