PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Aerial Bowfishing

Jess
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
We Peoria-area rednecks find our fun where we can ... :laugh:

Silver Asian Carp run amok in the Illinois River + rednecks with boats and bows = Extreme Aerial Bowfishing

Brackett is a pretty good guy and a local celebrity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrO6rDRfdY

Jess
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I misspelled "Extreme" in the title. Anyone with mod powers wanting to fix it cuz it bugs them as much as it does me can feel free to do so. Thank you. :)

SassyLady
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Obviously they are doing this for the sport because even I could come home with dinner for a party of ten...the fish are jumping in boat, no need to shoot them!

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Obviously they are doing this for the sport because even I could come home with dinner for a party of ten...the fish are jumping in boat, no need to shoot them!
Ummmm, without being racist, only certain ethnicities around here will eat the carp. Good rednecks want those bottom-feeding scavengers of the not-so-deep: catfish. Crappy, blue gill, bass - those are all acceptable but the carp is just for sport.

And I believe there was probably some alcohol involved in the origination of this sport. ;)

There's another video of Brackett out there, bowfishing with his fiance ... who ends up getting her jaw broken by one of the leaping fish. :eek:

SassyLady
02-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Why are they putting them in barrel if they aren't taking home to eat? Are you saying they are just shooting them and throwing away?

PostmodernProphet
02-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Why are they putting them in barrel if they aren't taking home to eat? Are you saying they are just shooting them and throwing away?

I hope so, these are Asian Carp........the fish we're trying to keep out of Lake Michigan.....I was actually disappointed they were releasing some of them back into the water......of course, the video says 2005, maybe they didn't realize the danger yet then......once these things make it into the Great Lakes, you'll probably never get to eat lake perch again......

Jess
02-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Nobody that I know of will eat them. It is rumored that some of the darker residents will.

I don't know what they do with them but once the fish have been shot with an arrow, they probably die anyway.

Gaffer
02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
A friend of mine use to always go fishing for carp because they were a real fight to bring in. Then he would set them on the back of his bike and ride through the darkie section of town and sell them to the highest bidder. He loved fishing, hated the taste of fish and always came home from fishing with a few bucks in his pocket.