PDA

View Full Version : Week 16

CSM
02-08-2012, 07:48 AM
SO, I am nearing the end of week 16 (number of weeks since I started trying to get "healthy"). Feeling pretty good for an old guy and am very glad I am doing this. I had a nice compliment from one of the staff at the gym. She said "I am amazed at how well you keep up with your sons; you do really well". Made me feel pretty good that she even noticed. I still have to get the eating healthy part started in earnest. I have not lost a lot of weight but lost inches around the belly (that's a good thing, right?). I have found my after workout beverage (diet cranberry juice) seems to really revitalize me and keep me off the couch for the "post workout nap". Crossfit and running aren't so painful and my lungs stay in my chest now (for the most part). If nothing else, this workout stuff gives me something to do.

Nukeman
02-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I recently switched from afternoon workouts to morning (5:00am uggh) I find I have been doing better with that than the afternoon ones. right now I have just been doing primary muscles again and i will work on trimming down in about 3 weeks (been a few weeks since I went so started over).

Great job for sticking to it for the last 16 weeks, I to have the problem of enjoying the WRONG food. Beer also is a big one.. Find I feel about 70% better when I don't have a drink the night before...

Keep up the good work!! It's nice when you work circles around the younger guys isn't it!??!?

CSM
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I recently switched from afternoon workouts to morning (5:00am uggh) I find I have been doing better with that than the afternoon ones. right now I have just been doing primary muscles again and i will work on trimming down in about 3 weeks (been a few weeks since I went so started over).

Great job for sticking to it for the last 16 weeks, I to have the problem of enjoying the WRONG food. Beer also is a big one.. Find I feel about 70% better when I don't have a drink the night before...

Keep up the good work!! It's nice when you work circles around the younger guys isn't it!??!?

I would do the early morning workout if I could but I have to be at work around 6ish. I am a morning person but not THAT early! Drinking is not a problem for me as I just don't drink (long story there). I still eat stuff that isn't exactly the best for me but have managed to cut some of that down. As far as I know, I haven't worked circles around anyone yet, at least not he ones going to the gym. I am, however, starting to keep up with their janitor!

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Good on both of you gentlemen. :clap:

CSM - Gunny tells me that it's not the weight that matters (within reason, of course) since muscle weighs more than fat. If you're losing inches, feeling better, getting fit - don't worry about the weight much. Our society fixates on a number that we weigh, rather than whether or not we are in good physical shape.

Now, the caveat to that is whatever weight the food from McDonald's is, it doubles when residing upon one's backside. Those are not good-looking pounds there. ;)

CSM
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM

CSM - Gunny tells me that it's not the weight that matters (within reason, of course) since muscle weighs more than fat. If you're losing inches, feeling better, getting fit - don't worry about the weight much. Our society fixates on a number that we weigh, rather than whether or not we are in good physical shape.

Now, the caveat to that is whatever weight the food from McDonald's is, it doubles when residing upon one's backside. Those are not good-looking pounds there. ;)

Oh yeah, I totally agree. As for Mickey D's, I seldom eat there anyway. Dunkin Donuts on the other hand .... I'm trying hard to stay away from those with very mixed success!

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Oh yeah, I totally agree. As for Mickey D's, I seldom eat there anyway. Dunkin Donuts on the other hand .... I'm trying hard to stay away from those with very mixed success!

I got burnt out on donuts when my family used to get them all the time for my kids. And Micky D's is pretty much there too.

Now chocolate on the other hand ...

But I have found out that if I drink a chocolate milk, my craving to eat chocolate is much less for the rest of the day.

CSM
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I got burnt out on donuts when my family used to get them all the time for my kids. And Micky D's is pretty much there too.

Now chocolate on the other hand ...

But I have found out that if I drink a chocolate milk, my craving to eat chocolate is much less for the rest of the day.

I am trying to substitute the bad stuff with fruits and veggies but there is no way an orange compares to a donute no matter how hard I try to convince myself.

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:42 AM
I am trying to substitute the bad stuff with fruits and veggies but there is no way an orange compares to a donute no matter how hard I try to convince myself.

How about an orange-glazed donut? :cool:

CSM
02-08-2012, 09:45 AM
How about an orange-glazed donut? :cool:

Hmmm ... I suspect they would just end up like the honey glazed stuff. Honey is good for you, right? LOL! I'm better off just avoiding the place. Let's face it, eating right is just plain hard to do. I'll keep working on it though.

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Hmmm ... I suspect they would just end up like the honey glazed stuff. Honey is good for you, right? LOL! I'm better off just avoiding the place. Let's face it, eating right is just plain hard to do. I'll keep working on it though.

Honey is better for you than some things but still has lots of sugars in it. It's the one food that won't spoil, btw.

You're correct - eating right can be hard. I actually gave up ... I hate to even say it ... all sugar ... including chocolate at one point. Fortunately, I recovered.:cool:

Did the Glycemic Index diet for a while too. Lots and lots of food, mostly veggies and beans. It was ok but I was always eating and it is expensive to eat good foods. Not sure it made all that much impact on my health.

CSM
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Honey is better for you than some things but still has lots of sugars in it. It's the one food that won't spoil, btw.

You're correct - eating right can be hard. I actually gave up ... I hate to even say it ... all sugar ... including chocolate at one point. Fortunately, I recovered.:cool:

Did the Glycemic Index diet for a while too. Lots and lots of food, mostly veggies and beans. It was ok but I was always eating and it is expensive to eat good foods. Not sure it made all that much impact on my health.

You make a good point though; it's more about being healthy than it is about weighing a certain amount. I suspect a person can be TOO skinny though that will never be my problem.

ConHog
02-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Unless you're overweight or have other health issues, why so concerned about "eating right?" Unless of course you can't just go in get one donut a morning and leave LOL.

Being in good shape is of course important, but what is the point if you are not enjoying your life? Have your freaking donut, not like you're not exercising.

My breakfast this morning was from a bakery in town , it's called a sausage roll. Basically it's half a pound of breakfast sausage (spicy) half a pound of cheese, wrapped in a donut like dough and deep fried. I of course exaggerate about the amount of meat and cheese, but it was a big roll.

Now for real, I don't eat that every morning, but if I want one once in awhile, I'm not gonna feel guilty about eating it, and you shouldn't feel guilty about your donut.

Jess
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
You make a good point though; it's more about being healthy than it is about weighing a certain amount. I suspect a person can be TOO skinny though that will never be my problem.

Most definitely. Usually going through a divorce will do that. :rolleyes:

Just be as healthy as you can reasonably be and be happy. Happy trumps so much else. If we can't be happy in life, what is the point? To deny ourselves everything and leave a skinny corpse behind?

Enjoy your life. You can do that and still be reasonably healthy, right?

ConHog
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Most definitely. Usually going through a divorce will do that. :rolleyes:

Just be as healthy as you can reasonably be and be happy. Happy trumps so much else. If we can't be happy in life, what is the point? To deny ourselves everything and leave a skinny corpse behind?

Enjoy your life. You can do that and still be reasonably healthy, right?

Not to mention a skinny person can obviously be unhealthy . High cholesterol or whatever even.

Jess
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Not to mention a skinny person can obviously be unhealthy . High cholesterol or whatever even.

Precisely.

CSM
02-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Unless you're overweight or have other health issues, why so concerned about "eating right?" Unless of course you can't just go in get one donut a morning and leave LOL.

Being in good shape is of course important, but what is the point if you are not enjoying your life? Have your freaking donut, not like you're not exercising.

My breakfast this morning was from a bakery in town , it's called a sausage roll. Basically it's half a pound of breakfast sausage (spicy) half a pound of cheese, wrapped in a donut like dough and deep fried. I of course exaggerate about the amount of meat and cheese, but it was a big roll.

Now for real, I don't eat that every morning, but if I want one once in awhile, I'm not gonna feel guilty about eating it, and you shouldn't feel guilty about your donut.

Hmmm .... sounds like good advice. Dunkin Donuts thanks you!

fj1200
02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

For me I just need to keep it out of the house. I made cookies yesterday and ate so much cookie dough waiting for the oven to be ready... not good.

CSM
02-08-2012, 12:20 PM
For me I just need to keep it out of the house. I made cookies yesterday and ate so much cookie dough waiting for the oven to be ready... not good.

Well, the fact that I don't cook might be an advantage sometimes. On the other hand, the fact that I don't cook is also a disadvantage.

fj1200
02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
^Learn to cook, it's never too late.

ConHog
02-08-2012, 01:57 PM
^Learn to cook, it's never too late.

I'm glad to see another guy advocate men cooking. I enjoy it, it's kinda relaxing to just cook a nice meal, and you can definitely cook healthier and cheaper than either buying precooked or eating out.

CSM do you get Food Network, lots of good cooking tips on that channel

CSM
02-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm glad to see another guy advocate men cooking. I enjoy it, it's kinda relaxing to just cook a nice meal, and you can definitely cook healthier and cheaper than either buying precooked or eating out.

CSM do you get Food Network, lots of good cooking tips on that channel

My idea of cooking involves skewering with a stick and a big open fire.

fj1200
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
^That's a start. You can even skewer some vegetables while you're at it. ;)

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:48 PM
SO, I am nearing the end of week 16 (number of weeks since I started trying to get "healthy"). Feeling pretty good for an old guy and am very glad I am doing this. I had a nice compliment from one of the staff at the gym. She said "I am amazed at how well you keep up with your sons; you do really well". Made me feel pretty good that she even noticed. I still have to get the eating healthy part started in earnest. I have not lost a lot of weight but lost inches around the belly (that's a good thing, right?). I have found my after workout beverage (diet cranberry juice) seems to really revitalize me and keep me off the couch for the "post workout nap". Crossfit and running aren't so painful and my lungs stay in my chest now (for the most part). If nothing else, this workout stuff gives me something to do.

Good for you CSM, they tell you not to worry about what the scale says but rather what the mirror says, i'm guessing you are losing the fat but gaining muscle hence no pounds shed, thats kind of what you want

Do me a favor, just try 1 thing for me, go to your local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and buy a tub of "whey isolates protein", the brand don't matter and it comes in various flavors. After your workout make yourself an 8 oz. shake, drink it within 60 minutes immediately after your last lift. Whats happening is basically your muscles are thirsting for protein at that point, they need it in order to recover and grow. The formula basically is that you should have your bodyweight each day in protein and without these shakes you simply can't get enough through just straight eating.

Trust me bro! You will be shocked at the results.

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM

Good thing about mornings though is thats when you have the most potential to burn calories if weight loss is your goal.

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I would do the early morning workout if I could but I have to be at work around 6ish. I am a morning person but not THAT early! Drinking is not a problem for me as I just don't drink (long story there). I still eat stuff that isn't exactly the best for me but have managed to cut some of that down. As far as I know, I haven't worked circles around anyone yet, at least not he ones going to the gym. I am, however, starting to keep up with their janitor!

CSM, don't buy the hype! Your body needs food! You can eat all the red meat you want as long as you aren't scarfing well marbled rib eyes everyday!

Filets, flank steaks, sirloin........chow!

Stay off the junk food bro!

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:54 PM

Exactly, like I said screw the scale and watch the mirror.

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:57 PM

But eating right is 80% of the battle! I was there where you are, went to the gym but couldn't stop eating shit snacks from time to time and then wondering why there were no results. I dedicated myself at the beginning of this year to the diet regimen again and am already seeing results in the gym.

You can do it!

OCA
02-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Dark chocolate is actually good for you in moderation along with red wine.

OCA
02-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Ever see the runners at the gym? You know the ones who hit the treadmill for 1-2 hrs and don't know where the freeweights are?

How good do they look? lol

CSM
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Good for you CSM, they tell you not to worry about what the scale says but rather what the mirror says, i'm guessing you are losing the fat but gaining muscle hence no pounds shed, thats kind of what you want

Do me a favor, just try 1 thing for me, go to your local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and buy a tub of "whey isolates protein", the brand don't matter and it comes in various flavors. After your workout make yourself an 8 oz. shake, drink it within 60 minutes immediately after your last lift. Whats happening is basically your muscles are thirsting for protein at that point, they need it in order to recover and grow. The formula basically is that you should have your bodyweight each day in protein and without these shakes you simply can't get enough through just straight eating.

Trust me bro! You will be shocked at the results.

I had heard that somewhere (about getting protien right after a work out). I will look into it. Thanks for the advice!. I am losing weight but very slowly. Down about 10 lbs over the 16 weeks.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM

So have a donut. Just don't eat the whole box.

I tried that holistic, "only" healthy food crap more than twice in my life. It usually ends in binge on candy bars and donuts. You can't diet and train in absolutes. NO WAY an orange compares to a powdered Bavarian Creme. And when I can eat REAL Mexican food, I'm there.

The big picture is what matters here. Stick to your diet. But don't torture yourself. As long as you maintain your program(s), and eat sensibly for the most part, you'll be fine.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 12:56 PM

The sugars in honey are good for you as they are natural. I've also been told a spoonful of honey a day from locally-made honey helps to quell one's allergies.

The glycemic index really just breaks down foods to protein, carbs and fats. The balance is individual based on metabolism. What they don't point out is that unused carbs turn to fat. Natural sugar is different than that which resides in your favorite fruit from the chocolate tree.:laugh:

CSM
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM

I tried that holistic, "only" healthy food crap more than twice in my life. It usually ends in binge on candy bars and donuts. You can't diet and train in absolutes. NO WAY an orange compares to a powdered Bavarian Creme. And when I can eat REAL Mexican food, I'm there.

The big picture is what matters here. Stick to your diet. But don't torture yourself. As long as you maintain your program(s), and eat sensibly for the most part, you'll be fine.

yeah, I'm with ya. Love me some REAL Mexican food too, though that is nearly impossible to get where I live. Thank goodness for my daughter-in-law; she makes some really good Mexican cuisine.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
yeah, I'm with ya. Love me some REAL Mexican food too, though that is nearly impossible to get where I live. Thank goodness for my daughter-in-law; she makes some really good Mexican cuisine.

Last I had was about 1140 miles SOUTH of here.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Amen, gotta find that balance.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Amen, gotta find that balance.

I blame Sylvester Stallone. Before First Blood came out, it was okay to have some muscle and a 2- pack. After that movie, everyone had to have a six-pack and that unachievable-by-most standard was set. Fact is, Stallone spent a couple weeks in the hospital following Rocky III because his bodyfat level was 3%. If you aren't genetically predispossessed to carry that low of a body fat percentage - which most of us aren't - you're just toruting yourself and possibly endangering your overall health trying to.

I rolled in at 7.9% bodyfat in 2000 (last time it was checked). I learned 20 years ago I wasn't willing to give up pizza and sodas for a "look". And I was a complete gym rat. Weights at 5 AM. Basketball or running during lunch. Martial arts at night. Still, no 6 pack. Bet NONE of those pretty boys can crank out 15 hanging leg raises or take a punch from a heavyweight (when I was a welterweight then lt heavyweight).

All that pretty LOOKS real nice. But does it work?

Jess
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
The sugars in honey are good for you as they are natural. I've also been told a spoonful of honey a day from locally-made honey helps to quell one's allergies.

The glycemic index really just breaks down foods to protein, carbs and fats. The balance is individual based on metabolism. What they don't point out is that unused carbs turn to fat. Natural sugar is different than that which resides in your favorite fruit from the chocolate tree.:laugh:

You can try the honey for allergies thing, honey. I know where they grow it. :cool:

And don't even be dissing the fruit of the chocolate tree. Abbey's on my side on that one. :neener: