PDA

View Full Version : Should English be our official language?

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Do you think that English should be our official language?

MtnBiker
05-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes!

Yurt
05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes. My better half is from Canada, and the whole french language thing is a freakin joke. One part of the cereal box is english and the other is frenchie. Canada is an english country for pete sake. Without a unified language we have no unified country.

The people who are whining about this are the spanish native mexicans. Not the "spanish" mexicans. Yet their country does not offer the same. I have no problem requiring a mandated second language course as part of school ciruculum, but we need an official language. Heck, we even have official "flowers" for states...

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes. My better half is from Canada, and the whole french language thing is a freakin joke. One part of the cereal box is english and the other is frenchie. Canada is an english country for pete sake. Without a unified language we have no unified country.

The people who are whining about this are the spanish native mexicans. Not the "spanish" mexicans. Yet their country does not offer the same. I have no problem requiring a mandated second language course as part of school ciruculum, but we need an official language. Heck, we even have official "flowers" for states...

We also waste a ton of money annually because everything we print or pruduce in English has to be done in spanish. State forms, job apps, school forms medical forms. Then if anyone says English should be the official language were considered racist.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
We also waste a ton of money annually because everything we print or pruduce in English has to be done in spanish. State forms, job apps, school forms medical forms. Then if anyone says English should be the official language were considered racist.

To be fair, I believe there are not a few non english speaking countries that also produce some things in English as many tourists speak english. While not the same as what you are saying, I have no problem printing up some stuff in a second language that is commonly used. However, this should only be for tourism. If you want to utilize our government, learn the language.

In fact, to when you take a drivers test in CA, they have spanish subtitles upon request or some such thing. What utter BS. There is no road sign in spanish and there should not be.

comprende...

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 05:39 PM
To be fair, I believe there are not a few non english speaking countries that also produce some things in English as many tourists speak english. While not the same as what you are saying, I have no problem printing up some stuff in a second language that is commonly used. However, this should only be for tourism. If you want to utilize our government, learn the language.

In fact, to when you take a drivers test in CA, they have spanish subtitles upon request or some such thing. What utter BS. There is no road sign in spanish and there should not be.

comprende...

If they can't read English that is dangerous, they couldnt read warning signs or road signs. That's irresponsable. If they can;t read English they should not be given a license or permit.

Mr. P
05-18-2007, 05:51 PM
No not yes...but, HELL YES!!

Gaffer
05-18-2007, 05:58 PM
absofuckinglutely

Said1
05-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Language is part of national identity. To give another language official status within a state is just the beginning of a LONG, tedious battle that will never end.

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Language is part of national identity. To give another language official status within a state is just the beginning of a LONG, tedious battle that will never end.

Were already in a long battle with the immigration deal and this is just one small part of it.

Mr. P
05-18-2007, 06:20 PM

I remember my shock the first time on an overnight trip to Montreal.

Every time anyone addressed you (Hotel desk, reasturant etc) it was in French, even though the all spoke English.

Said1
05-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I remember my shock the first time on an overnight trip to Montreal.

Every time anyone addressed you (Hotel desk, reasturant etc) it was in French, even though the all spoke English.

In their minds, you are in a different country. Not all of them are like that, but french is the first language of the majority in Quebec. You can't send your children to english school unless one parent attended english school. OR, you can pay for it yourself, privately. Not being a nation, seperate from Canada is simply a little technicality. They control their province, right down to immigration. It really is remniscent of Nazi Germany.

Abbey Marie
05-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Who will be first to accuse us of racism? :rolleyes:

Mr. P
05-18-2007, 06:55 PM
In their minds, you are in a different country. Not all of them are like that, but french is the first language of the majority in Quebec. You can't send your children to english school unless one parent attended english school. OR, you can pay for it yourself, privately. Not being a nation, seperate from Canada is simply a little technicality. They control their province, right down to immigration. It really is remniscent of Nazi Germany.

Then I had a over night to La Tuqe, way north of Montreal. Getting them to speak English was way more difficult. Some didn't at all. It was an interesting trip though. I only know a few words in French and the other pilot I was with could only speak redneck at best. :laugh2: I do remember talking with a young HS girl that was fluent in English and very impressive I thought.

Said1
05-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Then I had a over night to La Tuqe, way north of Montreal. Getting them to speak English was way more difficult. Some didn't at all. It was an interesting trip though. I only know a few words in French and the other pilot I was with could only speak redneck at best. :laugh2: I do remember talking with a young HS girl that was fluent in English and very impressive I thought.

English in Northern Qubec? Saki doo, the Cree speak better english. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Who will be first to accuse us of racism? :rolleyes:

My bet is on either Gabby or Loosecannon.

Mr. P
05-18-2007, 07:12 PM
English in Northern Qubec? Saki doo, the Cree speak better english. :laugh2:

It really was an interesting trip. I wish it had been more than one night. What's Cree?

Doniston
05-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Do you think that English should be our official language? yes, obvoiusly, but not something to go overboard with.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 08:05 PM
yes, obvoiusly, but not something to go overboard with.

It either is, or it isn't. What is the overboard?

glockmail
05-18-2007, 08:24 PM
All our founding documents were written in English, and if immigrants want to prosper, and if we all want to prosper, we should all be speaking the same language and using the same ruler.

05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
i think it should and I think we should ask the Brits and Aussies to start learning proper American English:p

glockmail
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
i think it should and I think we should ask the Brits and Aussies to start learning proper American English:p Then how would we we tell them apart from our liberals?

loosecannon
05-18-2007, 08:43 PM
All our founding documents were written in English, and if immigrants want to prosper, and if we all want to prosper, we should all be speaking the same language and using the same ruler.

Well I read once that German only missed being the national language by one vote.

German was a widely spoken tongue in some of the colonies, especially Pennsylvania, where a number of German-speaking religious minorities settled to escape persecution in Europe. Dutch, Swedish and Scottish Gaelic all became less common than German after the American Revolution. Another wave of settlement occurred when Germans fleeing the failure of 19th Century German revolutions emigrated to the United States. Large numbers of Germans settled throughout the U.S. especially in the cities. Neighborhoods in many cities were German-speaking. German farmers took up farming around the country, including the Texas Hill Country, at this time. German was widely spoken until the United States entered World War I. Numerous local German language newspaper and periodicals existed.

In the 17th century, there were colonies in North America, whose languages were English (from Virginia and Nova Albion colonies), Dutch (from New Netherland), French (from New France), Spanish (from New Spain), Swedish (from New Sweden), Scottish Gaelic (from Nova Scotia and Carolina), Welsh (from Welsh Tract) and Russian (from Russian-American Company).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_in_the_United_States#Official_language_s tatus

Selecting English is fine for an official language. But it in no way shape or form represents our collective ancestry, or even the actual majority ethnicity of our citizens.

We speak english today because we inherited it from the British empire who succeeded in propelling it to the worlds most accepted language of foreign exchange along with the British pound.

Not because most Americans ever were of english descent.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Well I read once that German only missed being the national language by one vote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_in_the_United_States#Official_language_s tatus

Selecting English is fine for an official language. But it in no way shape or form represents our collective ancestry, or even the actual majority ethnicity of our citizens.

He said:

were written in English

:poke:

shattered
05-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Do you think that English should be our official language?

Yes, yes, yes, and HELL YES.

Oh, and yeah.

loosecannon
05-18-2007, 09:05 PM
He said:

:poke:

wow, yurt.

I made a fairly easy little sequitur and lost you.

Yurt
05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
wow, yurt.

I made a fairly easy little sequitur and lost you.

Lame response.

loosecannon
05-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Lame response.

it was an observation.

5stringJeff
05-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I support the current resolution in the most emphatic positive terms possible.

Pale Rider
05-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Uncatagorically - YES!

nevadamedic
05-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Holy crap, I agree with Glock on something :cheers2:

Bulldog
05-20-2007, 01:52 PM
As a born and bred British UK resident, I'm obviously in no position to tell you which language you should speak, but please refrain from calling what you speak "English".

A high percentage of the elderly population of the UK struggle badly to understand "American-English" thus making a most of our imported TV programs and literature out of bounds to them. It's, quite literally, a foreign language to a true English speaker.

I'm not slating you guys. Just be proud of your dynamic and fruity language and call it "AMERICAN".

Bulldog.

LOki
05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Absolutely.

Yurt
05-20-2007, 01:58 PM
As a born and bred British UK resident, I'm obviously in no position to tell you which language you should speak, but please refrain from calling what you speak "English".

A high percentage of the elderly population of the UK struggle badly to understand "American-English" thus making a most of our imported TV programs and literature out of bounds to them. It's, quite literally, a foreign language to a true English speaker.

I'm not slating you guys. Just be proud of your dynamic and fruity language and call it "AMERICAN".

Bulldog.

What the blimey? Are you barmy? Or maybe just blinkered?

:laugh2:

LOki
05-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Bulldog.We speak English. We speak the same language we write, that that appears to be fully comprehensible to other English speakers. Your problem is with the American dialects of English.

Many Scottish, Welsh, and Irish dialects are every bit as incomprehensible as Yooper, Nor'eastern, or Applicahian dialects--it's all English none-the-less.

Mr. P
05-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Bulldog.

We are proud, that's why it's call "ENGLISH" and not brit. :poke:
Hey the 4th of July is comin up, don't miss it. OK?