PDA

View Full Version : Virginia school district considers cross-dressing ban for students

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep, we continue to go further down the shitter. Only a matter of time before many stand up and speak out in defense of the right of students to cross dress in school. I'm saddened to think of what this country is going to look like after I'm gone, but a circus side show is what I envision. After all, it's probably natural to them and they can't help that they feel the need to dress as the opposite sex.

A Virginia school district is considering banning cross-dressing by students, out of what one board member called concerns for the safety of "several" male students who wear dresses and wigs to school.

The Suffolk Board of Education plans to take up the issue at a meeting Thursday night, amid criticism that such a ban would violate students' First Amendment rights. The proposal explicitly bans clothing "not in keeping with a student's gender," distracts others from the educational process or poses health concerns. Board members will not vote on the proposal, which would take effect next year if approved.

"So there's plenty of time for discussion," district spokeswoman Bethanne Bradshaw told FoxNews.com.

Bradshaw said the proposal stems from concerns raised by Board Vice Chairwoman Thelma Hinton, who cited reports during a recent board meeting about male students who wore feminine clothing last year and had to use faculty restrooms due to safety concerns.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/09/virginia-school-district-considers-ban-on-cross-dressing-students/

Gunny
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I can't EVEN imagine why ....:laugh:

Does this mean noir can't go to school in VA?

Jess
02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
But don't girls already wear pants? And t-shirts rather than blouses? Isn't that cross-dressing?

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
But don't girls already wear pants? And t-shirts rather than blouses? Isn't that cross-dressing?

We're talking about men going all out to cross dress, skirts and wigs included. They'll simply claim they were born transgendered and have the rules changed in their favor.

Jess
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
We're talking about men going all out to cross dress, skirts and wigs included. They'll simply claim they were born transgendered and have the rules changed in their favor.

Maybe they were having a bad hair day so they grabbed a wig? They're too young for toupes yet ...;)

Can the boys wear kilts? Can girls still wear shorts? Exactly where does the line get drawn?

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Maybe they were having a bad hair day so they grabbed a wig? They're too young for toupes yet ...;)

Can the boys wear kilts? Can girls still wear shorts? Exactly where does the line get drawn?

That's just it, God forbid we offend someone, so we're just going to have to allow all of it and forget about drawing lines.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 06:02 PM

In Virginia? Good luck. Lived there about half my career. Like anywhere else, if the DC Metro area which includes Arlington and Alexandria didn't exist, that state is mostly rednecks.

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 06:17 PM
In Virginia? Good luck. Lived there about half my career. Like anywhere else, if the DC Metro area which includes Arlington and Alexandria didn't exist, that state is mostly rednecks.

Yep, I lived in Arlington for awhile, on a hill overlooking the Pentagon. That's where my wife lived when I first met her and moved in. But she grew up more in the redneck zone in Southern Virginia. I really liked Alexandria! Lots of good restaurants there, but too expensive to live there, at least downtown.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Yep, I lived in Arlington for awhile, on a hill overlooking the Pentagon. That's where my wife lived when I first met her and moved in. But she grew up more in the redneck zone in Southern Virginia. I really liked Alexandria! Lots of good restaurants there, but too expensive to live there, at least downtown.

I lived in Alexandria for about 5 years. I used to run by the Pentagon if we didn't go through Arlington Cemetey to get to the Memorial Bridge. Once around the Lincoln Memorial was about a 3.5 mile run.

Was also stationed at Little Creek (by Norfolk).

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I lived in Alexandria for about 5 years. I used to run by the Pentagon if we didn't go through Arlington Cemetey to get to the Memorial Bridge. Once around the Lincoln Memorial was about a 3.5 mile run.

I was there 1993-4 or so, then we moved back to Jersey. Everything was too damn political in that area for me. We hung out in Fairfax most of the time as she had a lot of friends from there. Her Dad lived in Warrenton at the time, I think, somewhere down off of 66 and 29. His area was cooler, in the middle of nowhere and no one fucked with you. And everyone has guns. An hour away and it was a whole different world.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Jim the Court has already ruled that students enjoy only limited rights while in school on numerous occasions, so I don't think we have to worry about schools losing the ability to ban cross dressers from doing so at school. I'm sure some parents will sue of course, but I don't see them winning. And they shouldn't IMO.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Jim the Court has already ruled that students enjoy only limited rights while in school on numerous occasions, so I don't think we have to worry about schools losing the ability to ban cross dressers from doing so at school. I'm sure some parents will sue of course, but I don't see them winning. And they shouldn't IMO.

Really? How many times have we seen posts/articles where someone wearing a Christian t-shirt got tossed? Or ... Heaven forbid ... a Rebel flag? But it's Okay to be Muslim. Get a clue. It's OKAY to be abnormal in this country. If you're just some Joe trying to get by then you're a beer-swilling, gun-toting, illiterate redneck who just doesn't get it.

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Why not, if they were simply born as transgendered, why should they be singled out? The courts have also ruled against schools many, many times when it came to kids expressing themselves, unless in private or religious school. There was just a girl who wanted to go to her prom as the "man" to her girlfriend, and the courts decided in her favor, although they ruled after it was too late. There are "gay groups" popping up in schools now too. So why would a queer be able to openly express him or herself, and not a transgendered? Discrimination solely on dress?

ConHog
02-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Really? How many times have we seen posts/articles where someone wearing a Christian t-shirt got tossed? Or ... Heaven forbid ... a Rebel flag? But it's Okay to be Muslim. Get a clue. It's OKAY to be abnormal in this country. If you're just some Joe trying to get by then you're a beer-swilling, gun-toting, illiterate redneck who just doesn't get it.

What does THAT have to do with what I said Gunny? The Supreme Court HAS ruled that students are limited in their rights while at school. That is ENTIRELY different than arguing that SOME schools selectively enforce dress codes and such, and if you will remember correctly, I was fully behind the students who wore American flag shirts to school in CA on Cinco de Mayo last year when that school sent them home. Not because I believe the school doesn't have the right to set dress codes, but rather because I believe a school has the responsibility to be fair and equal in ALL of their rulings. And clearly that school was not being fair in that case.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Why not, if they were simply born as transgendered, why should they be singled out? The courts have also ruled against schools many, many times when it came to kids expressing themselves, unless in private or religious school. There was just a girl who wanted to go to her prom as the "man" to her girlfriend, and the courts decided in her favor, although they ruled after it was too late. There are "gay groups" popping up in schools now too. So why would a queer be able to openly express him or herself, and not a transgendered? Discrimination solely on dress?

I don't know the case you are talking about, BUT let me discuss that from my own experience. Our school enforces a dress code at school, but not necessarily on school grounds. For example, we don't have a dress code for attending a ball game, or prom, or what have you. So that MAY have been where the court was coming from.

That's just one example of how rights can be and are much more limited during school hours than merely when on campus.

Gunny
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
What does THAT have to do with what I said Gunny? The Supreme Court HAS ruled that students are limited in their rights while at school. That is ENTIRELY different than arguing that SOME schools selectively enforce dress codes and such, and if you will remember correctly, I was fully behind the students who wore American flag shirts to school in CA on Cinco de Mayo last year when that school sent them home. Not because I believe the school doesn't have the right to set dress codes, but rather because I believe a school has the responsibility to be fair and equal in ALL of their rulings. And clearly that school was not being fair in that case.

And? Watch the minority get its way. They'll legislate their way into it, one way or the other. Or aren't you paying attention to where we live in the HERE and NOW?

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I don't know the case you are talking about, BUT let me discuss that from my own experience. Our school enforces a dress code at school, but not necessarily on school grounds. For example, we don't have a dress code for attending a ball game, or prom, or what have you. So that MAY have been where the court was coming from.

That's just one example of how rights can be and are much more limited during school hours than merely when on campus.

If a judge can rule in favor of a girl dressing like a man, it's not a stretch to see a judge ruling in favor of a guy dressing like a girl. Unless of course transgendered get treated differently than gay students.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
And? Watch the minority get its way. They'll legislate their way into it, one way or the other. Or aren't you paying attention to where we live in the HERE and NOW?

I'm not disagreeing. Of course they try. I just don't believe they will succeed in schools.

I wish they would just go to school uniforms anyway.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 06:56 PM
If a judge can rule in favor of a girl dressing like a man, it's not a stretch to see a judge ruling in favor of a guy dressing like a girl. Unless of course transgendered get treated differently than gay students.

Differently than gays how Jim. The dress code is the dress code, I don't see why you keep bringing gay up. Going back to your case, I wonder what exactly the girl was wanting to wear? Like a tuxedo rather than a dress? Who cares, the school has no reason to even give a shit about that, glad they lost if that's the case.

Here in Arkansas I guarantee you want to stop some dumb shit guy from dressing like a girl at school you do ONE thing.

Let him come to school like that one time, the other students will make sure he never does so again.

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Differently than gays how Jim. The dress code is the dress code, I don't see why you keep bringing gay up. Going back to your case, I wonder what exactly the girl was wanting to wear? Like a tuxedo rather than a dress? Who cares, the school has no reason to even give a shit about that, glad they lost if that's the case.

Here in Arkansas I guarantee you want to stop some dumb shit guy from dressing like a girl at school you do ONE thing.

Let him come to school like that one time, the other students will make sure he never does so again.

So you stand by rights for gays, but advocate a beating for transgendered students?

And I birng up gays because they ARE being recognized and given the ability to express themselves in school. Why shouldn't transgendered folks be able to be themselves? Why embrace one and frown upon the other?

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Hahahaha...can anyone see the bottom of the toilet yet?

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:30 PM

So you advocate crossdresser bashing?

Wow......what a fucking ignorant hillbilly.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
So you stand by rights for gays, but advocate a beating for transgendered students?

And I birng up gays because they ARE being recognized and given the ability to express themselves in school. Why shouldn't transgendered folks be able to be themselves? Why embrace one and frown upon the other?

No, I don't advocate anyone being beaten Jim.

Let me tell a funny story here.

When I was a Junior in high school we got an exchange student from Germany. Now my school had never had a foreign student before, and in the 80s this place was WAY close minded.

Anyway, white guy from Germany. Blonde hair blue eyes. But Mr Prim and proper. First day of school he comes out in a suit and tie carrying a briefcase. I kid you not.

We tried everything to talk him into changing and leaving the briefcase behind, but he wouldn't have it. Well off to school we go. He gets made fun of all day long for the suit and briefcase. He comes home , throws the briefcase in the closet, hangs the suit up and dresses like everyone else the rest of the year. NO ONE got beat up.

So anyway, back to your question. I don't know what you keep saying gays are allowed to be themselves in school for. What exactly are gays doing in school that differentiates them from anyone else? Are they wearing assless chaps? Are they making out with other gays in the hall? Both of those are against the rules no matter the sexual orientation. So, I'm just confused as to what it is you are saying they are doing.

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM

God you are a hypocrite, you just advocated a beating within the last 10 minutes.

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Interesting.

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Interesting.

OOPS THERE IT IS! OOPS THERE IT IS!:lol:

ConHog
02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Interesting.

Come on Jim, you are better than that. You know that there is a HUGE difference in being made fun of and being beaten. I am of the firm opinion that some peer ridicule can help make a person make good decisions, I do NOT think the same about peer violence.

Of course I also recognize that peer ridicule can lead to negative consequences as well.

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Come on Jim, you are better than that. You know that there is a HUGE difference in being made fun of and being beaten. I am of the firm opinion that some peer ridicule can help make a person make good decisions, I do NOT think the same about peer violence.

Of course I also recognize that peer ridicule can lead to negative consequences as well.

Bikes don't go far when you backpedal.

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:43 PM

:lol:

Poor border jumper lover, caught again out "night hypocritin":laugh2:

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Let's please try not and troll/ruin/flame the threads. It's possible to be bastards without ruining a thread. If you HAVE TO make it personal, take it to the cage, please.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Let's please try not and troll/ruin/flame the threads. It's possible to be bastards without ruining a thread. If you HAVE TO make it personal, take it to the cage, please.

on a serious note, you do understand what I'm saying about being okay with some peer ridicule , but NOT with violence, yes?

OCA
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM

Ohhh ok.......don't want to hurt the lib's feelings.:laugh2:

jimnyc
02-09-2012, 08:02 PM

on a serious note, you do understand what I'm saying about being okay with some peer ridicule , but NOT with violence, yes?

There is no doubt in my mind at all that you were referring to kicking some ass on the transgendered if they dared come to school like that in Arkansas. I think you're being dishonest, and now trying to express yourself differently. Either way, the point is the same, you're voicing support and rights for gays one day, then discussing violence/ridicule for transgenders the next. Not very consistent, IMO.

ConHog
02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
There is no doubt in my mind at all that you were referring to kicking some ass on the transgendered if they dared come to school like that in Arkansas. I think you're being dishonest, and now trying to express yourself differently. Either way, the point is the same, you're voicing support and rights for gays one day, then discussing violence/ridicule for transgenders the next. Not very consistent, IMO.

You THINK? So now you know what I think more than I do? Give me a break............ I in NOWAY endorse violence against ANYONE and my posts on various topics on this board reflect that.

As for gays, I still don't see where you are stating how they are expressing themselves at school in ways that they shouldn't be.

OCA
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM

She's backpedaling now and claiming she was just talking about ridicule, how gullible does she think the board is?

DragonStryk72
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM

Not in VA, it's still pretty redneck down that way. What's funny is my buddy Hector, who as I've mentioned previously, is gayer than Christmas, sides with the school here. Ever since he's had to be a manager at a Blockbuster years ago, he's been in favor of school dress codes for the fact that they teach you how to dress for when you get out into the world, and lo and behold, you have to wear uniforms at pretty much every single job in the world. Even the ones with lax standards still have them. For instance, at Border I was allowed to dress as I wanted, as long as I didn't wear anything offensive, alls good.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not disagreeing. Of course they try. I just don't believe they will succeed in schools.

I wish they would just go to school uniforms anyway.

YOu missing something? They have routinely tossed kids for wearing Christian anything t-shirts. But mess with some kid's burkha? There's a double standard and you know it.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 09:28 AM
So you advocate crossdresser bashing?

Wow......what a fucking ignorant hillbilly.

God you are a hypocrite, you just advocated a beating within the last 10 minutes.

OOPS THERE IT IS! OOPS THERE IT IS!:lol:

Bikes don't go far when you backpedal.

Poor border jumper lover, caught again out "night hypocritin":laugh2:

Knock it off. In case you haven't noticed, I'll just cut your crap out of a thread and put it the aforementioned by you toilet. Keep your vitriol in the Cage. Simple as that.

Jess
02-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Not in VA, it's still pretty redneck down that way. What's funny is my buddy Hector, who as I've mentioned previously, is gayer than Christmas, sides with the school here. Ever since he's had to be a manager at a Blockbuster years ago, he's been in favor of school dress codes for the fact that they teach you how to dress for when you get out into the world, and lo and behold, you have to wear uniforms at pretty much every single job in the world. Even the ones with lax standards still have them. For instance, at Border I was allowed to dress as I wanted, as long as I didn't wear anything offensive, alls good.

Uniforms are the great equalizer. And my personal belief is that's a good thing, gay or straight notwithstanding.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Uniforms are the great equalizer. And my personal belief is that's a good thing, gay or straight notwithstanding.

Sure they are. If you're establishing the latest version of the Hitler Youth.

Noir
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd love to know what the 'health risk' is to a guy wearing a dress =/

and in any case, as has already been said, theirs an obvious double standard when girls are allowed to wear whatever they want, but guys have to stick to clothes that fit their "gender" (which is nothing more than a social construct, ironically.)

Noir
02-11-2012, 09:55 AM
We tried everything to talk him into changing and leaving the briefcase behind, but he wouldn't have it. Well off to school we go. He gets made fun of all day long for the suit and briefcase. He comes home , throws the briefcase in the closet, hangs the suit up and dresses like everyone else the rest of the year. NO ONE got beat up.

...whats so shameful about carrying a briefcase? I went to school with students who carried briefcases =/

Jess
02-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Not at all.

Uniforms make all the kids equal - less cliques based on how much money some kids' parents have, whether they can afford expensive clothes, etc.

It gives a sense of uniformity, much as the military does.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Not at all.

Uniforms make all the kids equal - less cliques based on how much money some kids' parents have, whether they can afford expensive clothes, etc.

It gives a sense of uniformity, much as the military does.

Do you realize how socialist that sounds?

Jess
02-11-2012, 10:09 AM

I realize how practical it is.

You don't have to wonder what your kid is going to wear to school.
They don't get picked on if they don't have the "right" clothes.
They don't get attacked and have their stuff stolen if they have clothes better than others.
They're not stressing about how so-and-so has this shirt and I hater her, etc.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I realize how practical it is.

You don't have to wonder what your kid is going to wear to school.
They don't get picked on if they don't have the "right" clothes.
They don't get attacked and have their stuff stolen if they have clothes better than others.
They're not stressing about how so-and-so has this shirt and I hater her, etc.

Uh huh. One size fits all. Cookie cutter house. Cookie cutter job. Everyone gets the same pay. Everyone has the same kind of obedient dog. Cookie cutter children in cookie cutter attire. Tell me, how's that going to go over with your Dad? or worse yet, your sister?

Jess
02-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Uh huh. One size fits all. Cookie cutter house. Cookie cutter job. Everyone gets the same pay. Everyone has the same kind of obedient dog. Cookie cutter children in cookie cutter attire. Tell me, how's that going to go over with your Dad? or worse yet, your sister?

Hmmm ... Dad prolly would have been ok with it, since he had to clothe 5 kids.

Darc would have been ok with it, for sure, because then nobody stands out. She had to go by the Christian School dress code and anybody who can do that (as we all did) won't blink at uniforms.

Did you have a problem wearing the USMC uniform whilst you were in the service? Did it make you a cookie? Or did you rebel at the thought of looking like all the others? As someone else (DS, I think) mentioned, most of life is composed of wearing some sort of uniform. Whether you're a fireman, a cook, a factory worker, military or whatever - you end up wearing a uniform.

Got anything else, sweetheart?

DragonStryk72
02-11-2012, 08:21 PM

So, then the military is the Hitler Adult program? As well as Blockbuster, Friendly's, Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, the Department of Defense, and every office building in the country?

ConHog
02-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Gunny, are you thinking about UNIFORMS? Because no I wouldn't go for that. But, school uniforms USUALLY mean docker style pants and polo style shirts for the young men and either same dockers and a blouse for the ladies or skirts. That would go DOUBLE for teachers. I'm not suggesting military style UNIFORMS.

And they would be a great thing. Do you know how many kids are picked on for something as stupid as they don't have the right kind of pants? Or worse in big cities, how many kids are mugged and or killed for their "cool" clothes?

I just think that EVERYONE would have a little more respect for each other if teachers and students all dressed similar and looked like ladies and gentleman when they came to school.

OCA
02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Knock it off. In case you haven't noticed, I'll just cut your crap out of a thread and put it the aforementioned by you toilet. Keep your vitriol in the Cage. Simple as that.

Sir, yes sir!:laugh2:
:laugh2:

ConHog
02-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Darc would have been ok with it, for sure, because then nobody stands out. She had to go by the Christian School dress code and anybody who can do that (as we all did) won't blink at uniforms.

Did you have a problem wearing the USMC uniform whilst you were in the service? Did it make you a cookie? Or did you rebel at the thought of looking like all the others? As someone else (DS, I think) mentioned, most of life is composed of wearing some sort of uniform. Whether you're a fireman, a cook, a factory worker, military or whatever - you end up wearing a uniform.

Jess, you just killed your own argument there sweetie. I'm sure Gunny is telling you right now that in fact his Marine uniform and his Marine haircut were both designed specifically TO make him a cookie cutter copy of the other Marines. That's the whole purpose of boot camp in fact, well for the first 6 weeks or so anyway, to tear you down as an individual and the uniform is part of that. Ever hear of RPGs?

That being said, dockers and polo are hardly equivalent to a military uniform anyway.

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:04 PM
School uniforms would have sucked back in the day. I would have rebelled big time.

The .mil uniform is very personalized. Only from the reviewing stand does everyone look alike. There are cheap charlie shirts and there are Creightons. Up close, there are ribbons, badges, and various other doodads that allow us to read the other guys professional life story at a glance. You don't get that in the corporate world or in school. No balance if you get my drift.

I say the school has the absolute right to regulate what you wear and how you act on school property or as a condition of extracurricular activities. But once you are off school grounds or no longer "in the line of duty" such as an outing or game...... all bets are off.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:07 PM

I EARNED the RIGHT to wear that title, "USMC". And I signed up to wear that uniform.

A far cry from turning our children into identical Hydrox cookies.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:27 PM
School uniforms would have sucked back in the day. I would have rebelled big time.

The .mil uniform is very personalized. Only from the reviewing stand does everyone look alike. There are cheap charlie shirts and there are Creightons. Up close, there are ribbons, badges, and various other doodads that allow us to read the other guys professional life story at a glance. You don't get that in the corporate world or in school. No balance if you get my drift.

I say the school has the absolute right to regulate what you wear and how you act on school property or as a condition of extracurricular activities. But once you are off school grounds or no longer "in the line of duty" such as an outing or game...... all bets are off.

withing reason of course sir. For instance at our school we don't allow students to wear shirts that are sleeveless or that show the midriff, but at games or dances we relax that quite a bit and only have our chaperones step in if things go too far, exposed nipple or something like that for instance, and yes students push that line all the time; so we can't just say NO dress standards at on campus events.

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
withing reason of course sir. For instance at our school we don't allow students to wear shirts that are sleeveless or that show the midriff, but at games or dances we relax that quite a bit and only have our chaperones step in if things go too far, exposed nipple or something like that for instance, and yes students push that line all the time; so we can't just say NO dress standards at on campus events.

Uh huh. Look at what you're saying. Judgement call? Your ass will be in court.

I wear sleeveless shirts every day. Because I can.

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM

No argument. Didn't I mention "what you wear and how you act on school property or as a condition of extracurricular activities." ?
My kids all played sports or were in the band or other groups. As a condition of participation the boy had to avoid wearing the tail or mullet that was popular at the time. The girls had to "dress modestly and with an eye to decorum" IIR the wording of the permission slip I autographed.

I'd say a dance held on school property or even off the property if it is an official event falls within my statement.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Uh huh. Look at what you're saying. Judgement call? Your ass will be in court.

I wear sleeveless shirts every day. Because I can.

It isn't a judgement call Gunny. Sleeves on shirts must extend 2" past the shoulder seam PERIOD. Skirts/shorts/pants must rise 1" above the waist line and fall to within 3" of the top of knee. Our Vice Principle of Discipline has a tailor's measuring tape, and uses it. If a teacher sends a student to the office feeling the clothes expose too much and the VP determines that they are okay then the teacher just has to live with it, just as the student has to live with it if he says they are not okay.

These standards are both printed in our rules book that is handed out at the first every year and every student is required to return a signed form stating that their parent/guardian has read and agrees to abide by the standard, but it is also posted on our website.

Very little about school rules are judgement calls, BUT the Court has ruled that students don't enjoy full rights while at school anyway.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:40 PM
No argument. Didn't I mention "what you wear and how you act on school property or as a condition of extracurricular activities." ?
My kids all played sports or were in the band or other groups. As a condition of participation the boy had to avoid wearing the tail or mullet that was popular at the time. The girls had to "dress modestly and with an eye to decorum" IIR the wording of the permission slip I autographed.

I'd say a dance held on school property or even off the property if it is an official event falls within my statement.

Our coaches had no such requirements about haircuts when I was in school. Our coaches presently all do. I'm really fine with that either way, up to the coaches...

DragonStryk72
02-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Actually, you can create a uniform, or at least a dress code for schools that isn't fascist, hell you could likely even include the students in creating the look of the uniform.

For my High School, a catholic school, we had grey slacks, a polo shirt, and several different kinds of sweaters you could wear, or not, but we also got dress down days, and sports teams could wear their jerseys on game days. Now... I will say that many male objections to the uniforms were ground to a halt before they even started by the fact the school was co-ed, so the girls wore the pleated or pencil skirts, along with knee-thigh highs. Amazing how that quieted all us guys down so quickly.

pegwinn
02-12-2012, 09:54 PM
....Now... I will say that many male objections to the uniforms were ground to a halt before they even started by the fact the school was co-ed, so the girls wore the pleated or pencil skirts, along with knee-thigh highs. Amazing how that quieted all us guys down so quickly.

Obviously a school where the young men learned to properly prioritize.... good job.