Jess
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Props to this dad - he's my kinda guy. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kl1ujzRidmU

See responses to this video:
http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9738000

Jess
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Dad's response to media: http://www.litefm.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=421220&article=9744152

HANNAH'S REACTION

For those that wondered, commented, criticized, and just in general wanted to know:
My daughter came through it fine.

Yes, she's in trouble, and yes she's grounded, but that doesn't mean every moment of her life has to be miserable. She's going to come to terms with the changes that will be present for a while; no TV privileges, no Internet, etc.

In the meantime, once the initial anger passed,... she sat with me reviewing some of the comments that have come in via Facebook and YouTube. One person even suggested collecting the shell casings and auctioning them on eBay. I said I’d do it if it would help contribute to her college fund! When I told her about it, she thought a minute, got a funny calculating expression on her face and said, “in that case you should shoot my phone too. We can use more bullets and I’ll go half-sies with ya on it! It’s not like I’m going to need it any time soon. And I can use the money we get to buy a new one.”

krisy
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
My son who will be 17 on the 19th came upstairs yesterday and insisted I watch this. Not to my surprise,he is completely on the dad's side. He just told me his friends are as well. He said,"mom,nobody should disrespect their parents like that". I agree. On top of being disappointd if my son or daughter did that,I would be hurt.

Hopefully the girl will come back down to earth,and I'm sure someday when she is a parent herself,will understand why her parents were so angry. Sounds like she is getting there.

I gotta applaud dad for being so involved in his kids llives and taking action that is not fun to fix her issues.

Jess
02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
My son who will be 17 on the 19th came upstairs yesterday and insisted I watch this. Not to my surprise,he is completely on the dad's side. He just told me his friends are as well. He said,"mom,nobody should disrespect their parents like that". I agree. On top of being disappointd if my son or daughter did that,I would be hurt.

Hopefully the girl will come back down to earth,and I'm sure someday when she is a parent herself,will understand why her parents were so angry. Sounds like she is getting there.

I gotta applaud dad for being so involved in his kids llives and taking action that is not fun to fix her issues.

Most of the replies I read were very positive. Occasionally there was someone making a snide remark but even his daughter says it's not gonna make her commit suicide or end up a stripper. LOL!

It sounds as if he's/they've done a good job during her early years and I thought the way he handled it was great.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 06:43 PM
I don't know why this dad is being applauded so much. First, it's HIS fault that his daughter thought that behavior was okay in the first place. Second, from the sounds of it, HE bought the laptop that he filled with lead. Pretty stupid to destroy your own property to teach someone else a lesson. Third, even if stupid, what kind of parent doesn't give their child the freedom of not snooping around their FB page? Actually I reserve judgement on that last one, because based on comments its sounds like he may have caught her posting naughty pics of herself earlier in time. :laugh2: and in that case of course monitoring is needed.

But seriously he said he's in IT , he couldn't just block her access to certain sites without destroying the laptop?

SassyLady
02-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Sometimes a parent has to made a very definitive and over-the-top statement to break through a child's current state of mind.

ConHog
02-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Sometimes a parent has to made a very definitive and over-the-top statement to break through a child's current state of mind.

No doubt, just from the outside seems like he's no better than she is. :laugh2:

SassyLady
02-12-2012, 02:40 AM
I was not a good parent but my daughter will tell you there were a couple of defining events and those made more of an impression than all the rules, regulations and lectures. Sometimes we transcend our every day way of parenting....which takes us to that higher level. Her dad may not be better than her the rest of the time, but this time it worked.

Jess
02-12-2012, 09:06 AM
I don't know why this dad is being applauded so much. First, it's HIS fault that his daughter thought that behavior was okay in the first place.
Wait a minute, CH - how is it HIS fault that she's behaving this way? Obviously he has an issue with her behavior.

Second, from the sounds of it, HE bought the laptop that he filled with lead. Pretty stupid to destroy your own property to teach someone else a lesson.
It appears as though he did provide the laptop for her. In the article, he said she'd been grounded from it before but always knew she'd get it back eventually. This way, she only gets a new computer if she works for it and SHE buys it. To his credit, he's not being a total jerk and demanding she pay for the laptop. It appears as though he thinks the price of a computer is small enough to teach his daughter an important lesson. And at least he's got the testicular fortitude to do it in front of God and YouTube vs. her blocking the church and family members from seeing her spoiled little rant.

Third, even if stupid, what kind of parent doesn't give their child the freedom of not snooping around their FB page?
He didn't snoop. Again, the article stated that he was uploading pics to the family dog's page and she hadn't blocked the dog from receiving her posted "statement".

Actually I reserve judgement on that last one, because based on comments its sounds like he may have caught her posting naughty pics of herself earlier in time. :laugh2: and in that case of course monitoring is needed.

But seriously he said he's in IT , he couldn't just block her access to certain sites without destroying the laptop?

Kind of like with a dog/cow/horse - you don't want to train them to get through or over the fences. You gotta stop them, not merely deter them.;)

It seems to be more than just THIS time, CH. Apparently, it was an ongoing issue, she'd been warned, admonished and none of it made an impact. He made sure this time there was a big impact.

He didn't yell/cuss at her, didn't go off the deep end, didn't belittle or berate her. What he did, the entire world can see. That takes some stones, in my book.

What is most important is that their relationship seems to be intact. She's learning the value of a dollar, the value of work and the value of keeping her mouth shut instead of spouting lots of drama.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been waiting for the anti-gun crowd to chime in with some claim that he's a dangerous parent.

Jess
02-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I've been waiting for the anti-gun crowd to chime in with some claim that he's a dangerous parent.

I'm sure they already have. There were people saying she was going to commit suicide, that she would end up a druggie stripper and all other sorts of goofy things.

krisy
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know why this dad is being applauded so much. First, it's HIS fault that his daughter thought that behavior was okay in the first place. Second, from the sounds of it, HE bought the laptop that he filled with lead. Pretty stupid to destroy your own property to teach someone else a lesson. Third, even if stupid, what kind of parent doesn't give their child the freedom of not snooping around their FB page? Actually I reserve judgement on that last one, because based on comments its sounds like he may have caught her posting naughty pics of herself earlier in time. :laugh2: and in that case of course monitoring is needed.

Without knowing these people personally,there is no way you can blame her behavior on him. As Jess said,he obviously doesn't condone this kind of behavior. I don't know if you have teenagers,but at times,they can be unreasonable. I do not like to judge other parents because you never know just how hard it has been for them.

As far as the snooping.I don't have a problem with it. I believe by all means in letting them have some privacy,but until he/she is 18,it's my business. If this girl had acted up before,especially the way she had,he had every right to protect her by keeping tabs. My husband and I are both "friends" with my son on facebook. Funny thing is,we are friends with some of his friends too. THEY requested us! I guess we're cool;) At least,they like us,and they should since every weekend I have a group of 1 to 5 boys in the basement playing ps3 and eating pizza. At least I know what they are doing,and a lot of them come up here and talk politics with us even!

Bottom line,you may think it's radical,I think it's an extreme measure to get her thinking the right way,AND protect her from what she isn't seeing as harmful. Thats a parents job.

Jess
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Without knowing these people personally,there is no way you can blame her behavior on him. As Jess said,he obviously doesn't condone this kind of behavior. I don't know if you have teenagers,but at times,they can be unreasonable. I do not like to judge other parents because you never know just how hard it has been for them.

As far as the snooping.I don't have a problem with it. I believe by all means in letting them have some privacy,but until he/she is 18,it's my business. If this girl had acted up before,especially the way she had,he had every right to protect her by keeping tabs. My husband and I are both "friends" with my son on facebook. Funny thing is,we are friends with some of his friends too. THEY requested us! I guess we're cool;) At least,they like us,and they should since every weekend I have a group of 1 to 5 boys in the basement playing ps3 and eating pizza. At least I know what they are doing,and a lot of them come up here and talk politics with us even!

Bottom line,you may think it's radical,I think it's an extreme measure to get her thinking the right way,AND protect her from what she isn't seeing as harmful. Thats a parents job.

Yup.

When we were growing up, we couldn't always go to others' homes so much but we could have people over all the time. Since we lived on a small farm (5 acres) and had a cool old barn with a rope swing in the upstairs, along with a basketball hoop and hardwood floors (sounds uppity-er than it was), all our friends wanted to come to our house. Couple that with the fact that my mom was the best baker around - always fresh, home-made cookies and snacks to scarf on.

We also had the church youth group over frequently. Yes, that's pretty lame but we were totally sheltered, so it was fun at the time.

In any case, mom and dad figured at least if we were there, even if there were an additional dozen kids, they knew we were only getting into a manageable amount of trouble. :laugh:

ConHog
02-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Oh, I agree with much of what you say, and yes I have two teens, well they are both almost 20 now and one is not my son, I've just raised him since he was 16. They hang around here most of the time with their friends, alwayys have , horses, 4 wheelers, swimming pool, trampoline, video games, food and drink, who wouldn't? And yes , better to know where they are, but they go down in the basement and that's their own little world for the most part. Mom pokes in once in awhile to make sure it's clean, but that's about it, and has been since they moved down there. But on the other hand, they've never given us reason to not trust them.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't consider this snooping. She didn't write it in a diary. It was put in a very public space- FB.
A privilege she is, btw, getting from her parents paying for and enabling the connectivity.

krisy
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Apparently dad got a visit from social services and the police,and got a THANK YOU from the police!:2up:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/youtube-dad-who-shot-daughters-laptop-gets-visit-a/nHbcR/

darin
02-13-2012, 08:01 PM
I think I'm aligned with those who think the father acted foolishly. He got 'revenge'. Big deal. He repeated the daughter's life will get 'much harder' now, but didn't articulate anything. In fact, if his daughter won't see the vid (a fact he acknowledged) the man is PURELY showing off. "Look how bad-arse I am!" - that sorta thing.

I have a sense the man's daughter has a distant relationship with her Daddy; the posting she made was PURELY a symptom of something deeper; if he loves her, he should LOVE (verb) her. He should figure that out; not just do this macho/tough-guy routine for the world to see. Smells of weakness. :(

ConHog
02-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I think I'm aligned with those who think the father acted foolishly. He got 'revenge'. Big deal. He repeated the daughter's life will get 'much harder' now, but didn't articulate anything. In fact, if his daughter won't see the vid (a fact he acknowledged) the man is PURELY showing off. "Look how bad-arse I am!" - that sorta thing.

I have a sense the man's daughter has a distant relationship with her Daddy; the posting she made was PURELY a symptom of something deeper; if he loves her, he should LOVE (verb) her. He should figure that out; not just do this macho/tough-guy routine for the world to see. Smells of weakness. :(

That's what I was trying to say earlier. The duaghter no doubt did SOMETHING wrong, but that video wasn't good parenting.

Jess
02-14-2012, 05:45 PM

gabosaurus
02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
I read that story and decided that the "father" was as ignorant as a back woods coon.
First of all, why did he allow his daughter that much time on the internet? Also, he is telling his kid that problems can be solved by killing them. A good lesson for the next guy she decides to break up with.
Perhaps he never sat down and read with his kid. Or perhaps he doesn't know how to read. Some of those people don't.
How about regulating the time your kid spends on the internet. And what sites they can go to.

With the lack of intellect shown by this "dad," I am wondering how the daughter has escaped getting pregnant. If she has. Ignorant hot heads often breed ignorant hotheads. And nothing says "ignorant" more than kids having kids.

darin
02-21-2012, 08:15 AM
I read that story and decided that the "father" was as ignorant as a back woods coon.
First of all, why did he allow his daughter that much time on the internet? Also, he is telling his kid that problems can be solved by killing them. A good lesson for the next guy she decides to break up with.
Perhaps he never sat down and read with his kid. Or perhaps he doesn't know how to read. Some of those people don't.
How about regulating the time your kid spends on the internet. And what sites they can go to.

With the lack of intellect shown by this "dad," I am wondering how the daughter has escaped getting pregnant. If she has. Ignorant hot heads often breed ignorant hotheads. And nothing says "ignorant" more than kids having kids.

Sorta funny to me how wrong you are in every aspect.

How much time did he allow his daughter? Do you know? 10 minutes a day? 5 mins? You're making up stuff.

Are laptops alive? What problem did he 'solve' as an example to his daughter? He destroyed her method (while at home) to get online. When you assign life-value to a laptop, you do so out of your desire for sensationalism. It's how you and your ilk con people into voting for laws which strip freedom. You sensationalize.

You're also speculating on his other parent activities. Perhaps he never read with his kid? Well, perhaps he never made peking duck with his kid! Yeah! That might have helped!

"Nothing" says 'ignorant' shit more frequently than username: gabosaurus.

ConHog
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM

What the fuck? those people? What people would those be? Oh I get it, he wears a cowboy hat and boots so he must be stupid. Never mind the fact that he works in the IT field.

That's the most idiotic thing I have ever seen you write Gabby. Now if you'll excuse me I have to put on my boots and cowboy hat and go check on the cattle and horses.

Gunny
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Why is it you city-dwelling cockroaches think you're better than people that can do for themselves?

What the fuck? those people? What people would those be? Oh I get it, he wears a cowboy hat and boots so he must be stupid. Never mind the fact that he works in the IT field.

That's the most idiotic thing I have ever seen you write Gabby. Now if you'll excuse me I have to put on my boots and cowboy hat and go check on the cattle and horses.

She's a typical wannabe intellectual leftwingnut. I wear a cowboy hat and boots and am damned pround I'm not some ass-kissing city dweller that couldn't provide for themselves if someone handed them a weapon and tied the deer down.

That what happens when you get lawyers. Pussies who couldn't win a fight in a kindergarten sandbox get to abuse the rules in order to win a hollow victory.

gabosaurus
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Two things:

(1) -- Never post anything on a message when you are in an extremely pissed off mood.

(2) -- Where is the edit function when you need it? :lame2:

http://z.about.com/d/cameras/1/0/g/3/wellduh.jpg

Mr. P
02-21-2012, 01:04 PM

I contend that all you psychology folks since Spock have screwed up more kids than all the back woods coons ever.

ConHog
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Why is it you city-dwelling cockroaches think you're better than people that can do for themselves?

She's a typical wannabe intellectual leftwingnut. I wear a cowboy hat and boots and am damned pround I'm not some ass-kissing city dweller that couldn't provide for themselves if someone handed them a weapon and tied the deer down.

That what happens when you get lawyers. Pussies who couldn't win a fight in a kindergarten sandbox get to abuse the rules in order to win a hollow victory.

You're no better. Not all city dwellars are cock roaches, and oh yeah my wife is a lawyer who will go out and hold down a bull in the mud so i can turn him into a steer .

Gunny
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Two things:

(1) -- Never post anything on a message when you are in an extremely pissed off mood.

(2) -- Where is the edit function when you need it? :lame2:

http://z.about.com/d/cameras/1/0/g/3/wellduh.jpg

Au contrare ... I'm not pissed off at all. You just can't fix stupid. Want to try again with a legitimate argument this time? Far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. That isn't pissed off. It's highly intelligent.

BTW ... how's that sucking off the government going for you?

Gunny
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
You're no better. Not all city dwellars are cock roaches, and oh yeah my wife is a lawyer who will go out and hold down a bull in the mud so i can turn him into a steer .

Oh yeah, I AM better.

ConHog
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Au contrare ... I'm not pissed off at all. You just can't fix stupid. Want to try again with a legitimate argument this time? Far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. That isn't pissed off. It's highly intelligent.

BTW ... how's that sucking off the government going for you?

Gunny she was apologizing for what she later recognized as a stupid stereotype. Just accept the apology and move on.

PS I HIGHLY favor voter exams, and have NO doubt that Gabby would pass one because noway a voter exam should be based on political ideology.

Gunny
02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Gunny she was apologizing for what she later recognized as a stupid stereotype. Just accept the apology and move on.

PS I HIGHLY favor voter exams, and have NO doubt that Gabby would pass one because noway a voter exam should be based on political ideology.

That how you saw it?

Being able to pass an exam doesn't mean you can handle jack shit where the rubber meets the road.

ConHog
02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
That how you saw it?

Being able to pass an exam doesn't mean you can handle jack shit where the rubber meets the road.

It's not how I saw it, it's a fact.

Being able to handle jack shit when the rubber meets the road is not a requirement to vote.

gabosaurus
02-21-2012, 03:33 PM
That how you saw it?

I know all about the rubber meeting the road. You were born nine months later. :poke:

darin
02-21-2012, 03:46 PM
I just have to ask, Gabs....why you being a dick lately? Simmer down, woman. Very nice you're allowed to have Internet access in the kitchen.

gabosaurus
02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm in my office, thank you. I spend a lot of this morning dealing with dicks. Also known as "parents of asshole children."

I am now progressing back to dickless state. Thanks for your concern. :salute:

darin
02-21-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm in my office, thank you. I spend a lot of this morning dealing with dicks. Also known as "parents of asshole children."

I am now progressing back to dickless state. Thanks for your concern. :salute:

You ALSO have an OFFICE in your kitchen? Nice.

Parents of asshole children are often assholes, too. :)

gabosaurus
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
You ALSO have an OFFICE in your kitchen? Nice.

Parents of asshole children are often assholes, too. :)

I suppose it is the same with any job where you deal with the public. They can assholes and you aren't allowed to. I need to wear a mouth guard to keep from biting my tongue so much.

logroller
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM

Where I'm from if you took a room of filled 50/50 with suits and wranglers-- 90% of the wealth and political power would be wearing boots. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover; but the leather bound book has been around a lot longer than the one with the shiny dust jacket.

ConHog
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Where I'm from if you took a room of filled 50/50 with suits and wranglers-- 90% of the wealth and political power would be wearing boots. Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover; but the leather bound book has been around a lot longer than the one with the shiny dust jacket.

In fairness I received a personal apology from Gabby and she recognized publicly that what she wrote was stupid. We all are guilty of generalizing on occasion, at least she owned it.