PDA

View Full Version : Arizona authorities furious over 215 mph Bugatti video

jimnyc
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Damn, if accurate, that's a fast car! One crash though and I don't believe you'll be identifiable, let alone survive! Video from Youtube at the bottom of the story.

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona police are seeing red over the driver of a Bugatti Veyron luxury car who seems to have given himself the green light to drive over 215 miles per hour on a public freeway.

A roughly three-minute video that surfaced this week purports to show the mystery motorist reaching those speeds during seven adrenaline-charged runs in 2009.

Bart Graves, an Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman, said on Friday the driver would be thrown in jail if caught trying to repeat the same "incredibly stupid stunt."

But although the video shows the driver having been pulled over in Arizona at one point, it was not clear if the high speeds were reached in that state or in Mexico. Text at the end of the video states it was "shot south of the border."

A video of the sleek Bugatti Veyron speeding on a freeway has generated more than a million views since it was posted on video sharing site YouTube on Monday. The European luxury car model costs at least $1.5 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-authorities-furious-over-215-mph-bugatti-video-034035420.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5g99vvveKjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ConHog
02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Damn, if accurate, that's a fast car! One crash though and I don't believe you'll be identifiable, let alone survive! Video from Youtube at the bottom of the story.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-authorities-furious-over-215-mph-bugatti-video-034035420.html

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5g99vvveKjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did I miss it , or was there never an actual speed indicator shown in that video? I mean there are plenty of verified runs of that car doing well over 200 MPH, but I don't believe they were accomplished by an amateur driver on a public road.

fj1200
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd have my doubts. I remember seeing a story or video about the Veyron reaching top speed, it was in Germany on a particular track that was uber straight and long where you could top it out. I can't imagine a Mexican or Arizona road where you could get the perfect conditions and lack of traffic to make that happen.

logroller
02-12-2012, 04:59 AM
^ I've seen that video shot in Germany too. Pretty amazing piece of machinery and technology. Though at $1.5M, it'd better be. I remember they gave some factoid that it takes 270bhp to get to 153mph; to get to its top speed, 253mph, takes another 730bhp. I don't know the exactly the exact distribution of the power to speed ratio, but it would seem that getting to 200+, though an impressive feat, is a far cry from the top speed under test conditions; and would be entirely possible under less than ideal conditions.

Ok, just went and watched that video, it went from 200kph to 300kph, or 124 to 186 mph in 9.4 secs, and didn't show any signs of slowing acceleration until (380kph) 230mph. Course at that speed you're covering a mile every 15 seconds, but I figure a minimum 3 to 4 miles of straight road would suffice-- that's do-able! Not in Cali, our roads suck, but I know Arizona has nice roads-- Mexico, well, I have my doubts, more so that anyone would drive their Bugatti Veyron into Mexico... hence Arizona law enforcement's outrage.
http://youtu.be/jk1t6S737Cs

fj1200
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
^I found yesterday the name of the track in Germany. It's so long that you can't see the other end due to the curvature of the earth. :eek:

ConHog
02-12-2012, 10:11 AM
^I found yesterday the name of the track in Germany. It's so long that you can't see the other end due to the curvature of the earth. :eek:

Nurinburg

fj1200
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Nurinburg

No. Ehra-Lessien (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehra-Lessien).

nadineB
02-17-2012, 03:07 AM
A recently posted video which has since gone viral shows the brutal pace possible the Bugatti Veyron, according to the Daily Mail. The video was allegedly shot using public roads in the state of Arizona in the year 2009. The car went on seven high-speed runs, hitting 225 miles per hour.

nadineB
02-17-2012, 03:33 AM
The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 is a mid-engined grand touring car. The Super Sport version is the fastest road-legal production car in the world, with a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph). A video starring the fastest car in the world, the Bugatti Veyron, has gone viral. The video shows the $1.7 million mechanical wonder reaching speeds of 225 miles per hour on roads supposedly in the state of Arizona. The Arizona police are not very entertained with the stunt. Arizona Bugatti Veyron video leaves police fuming (http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/arizona-bugatti-veyron-video/). Speed does kill and it is quit alarming that vehicular accidents happen a lot. We must all take precautionary measures to avoid accidents and secure the safety of the passenger.

darin
02-17-2012, 04:24 AM
I hope they did it. AZ would be mad about missing out on the tax revenue from the fines/fees. :(

fj1200
02-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, I don't see nadine lasting long.

Gunny
02-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I'd have my doubts. I remember seeing a story or video about the Veyron reaching top speed, it was in Germany on a particular track that was uber straight and long where you could top it out. I can't imagine a Mexican or Arizona road where you could get the perfect conditions and lack of traffic to make that happen.

Never been on I-10 or I-8 in Arizona, huh?

fj1200
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Maybe, but I still stand by my statement. I'm dubious.

ConHog
02-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Been on em both, plenty of times, I in noway believe anyone reached over 200 MPH on either one of them.

darin
02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
How much room would the car need to reach 200mph? From a stop I bet it could hit 200mph in less than one mile. From a roll, on the freeway? Faster. Hell, my Subaru can go from 50 to 80 in about 3 seconds. My subaru has 1/3rd the HP of the Veyron.

Start counting from zero. I'd bet before you reach the number 30, the Veyron has hit 200mph. It's THAT fast. Reaching 200, or driving at 200mph in that car doesn't take special training...it takes somebody to floor the accelerator. Barely have to hold on to the steering wheel unless the road is bumpy. :)

ConHog
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
How much room would the car need to reach 200mph? From a stop I bet it could hit 200mph in less than one mile. From a roll, on the freeway? Faster. Hell, my Subaru can go from 50 to 80 in about 3 seconds. My subaru has 1/3rd the HP of the Veyron.

Start counting from zero. I'd bet before you reach the number 30, the Veyron has hit 200mph. It's THAT fast. Reaching 200, or driving at 200mph in that car doesn't take special training...it takes somebody to floor the accelerator. Barely have to hold on to the steering wheel unless the road is bumpy. :)

There is of course no question that the car itself can hit 200 MPH. There is a great question about whether the average driver could handle those speeds, and even more question about whether public roads would ever be that safe.

I maintain that IF they had actually hit 200 MPH they would have had a camera on the speedo to prove it.

Abbey Marie
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 is a mid-engined grand touring car. The Super Sport version is the fastest road-legal production car in the world, with a top speed of 431 km/h (268 mph). A video starring the fastest car in the world, the Bugatti Veyron, has gone viral. The video shows the $1.7 million mechanical wonder reaching speeds of 225 miles per hour on roads supposedly in the state of Arizona. The Arizona police are not very entertained with the stunt. Arizona Bugatti Veyron video leaves police fuming (http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/arizona-bugatti-veyron-video/). Speed does kill and it is quit alarming that vehicular accidents happen a lot. We must all take precautionary measures to avoid accidents and secure the safety of the passenger.

Hi Nadine,
Can you please put quotes around this piece, so it is more obvious that it is authored elsewhere?
Thanks,
Abbey

Gunny
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Maybe, but I still stand by my statement. I'm dubious.

I-8's a straghtaway from Casa Grande (halfway between Tucson and Phoenix) to Yuma. It's balls to the wall. As a consistent 4x4 owner, I've never tried it. They aren't built for speed. But I can see it for a sports car.

I can also see the ultimate ending hitting a sand dune at 185. Not going to be much left.

Been on em both, plenty of times, I in noway believe anyone reached over 200 MPH on either one of them.

With the right car, I would. Been on them since they opened. First two times acoss the desert was US highways. Flat ground and a straightaway makes it rather easy.

Abbey Marie
02-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I-8's a straghtaway from Casa Grande (halfway between Tucson and Phoenix) to Yuma. It's balls to the wall. As a consistent 4x4 owner, I've never tried it. They aren't built for speed. But I can see it for a sports car.

I can also see the ultimate ending hitting a sand dune at 185. Not going to be much left.

Gunny, do you know Casa Grande first hand? I know someone who lives there, and I am just curious about it. Thanks.

Gunny
02-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Gunny, do you know Casa Grande first hand? I know someone who lives there, and I am just curious about it. Thanks.

Nope. It's the cutoff to I-8. Lots of motels and gas stations. You take I-8 to go to Yuma and/or San Diego. You stay on I-10 to go to Phoenix and /or LA (or 29 Palms in my case). It's just a little desert town where the road forks.

logroller
02-17-2012, 11:26 AM
See post#4 120-180 in 9sec; so I'm guessing closer to 20 secs than 30. oh yea, in addition to accelerator, $1.5 million dollars and huge pair of stones!

There is of course no question that the car itself can hit 200 MPH. There is a great question about whether the average driver could handle those speeds, and even more question about whether public roads would ever be that safe.

I maintain that IF they had actually hit 200 MPH they would have had a camera on the speedo to prove it.
The average driver doesn't buy $1.5M sport cars; and so far as safe, it has a great deal of technology wrapped up to control suspension, stability, air handling (airfoils extend in lieu of braking) etc etc-- but in the end, you're going 200mph in a car, there is nothing 'safe' about.

AZ roads are nice too. I know that spot with the sand dune...its right after the part with rocks :laugh:

Little-Acorn
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
^ I've seen that video shot in Germany too. Pretty amazing piece of machinery and technology. Though at $1.5M, it'd better be.

For less than that you can get a used business jet that can do 500 mph. Legally, even. And with a much better view.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-CITATION-SII/1986-CESSNA-CITATION-SII/1221899.htm?
http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-CITATION-II/1981-CESSNA-CITATION-II/1225697.htm?
http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/CESSNA-CITATION-JET/1993-CESSNA-CITATION-JET/1201709.htm?

What a waste a Bugatti is. Why spend that kind of coin on something that can't even get off the ground?

Gunny
02-17-2012, 12:22 PM
See post#4 120-180 in 9sec; so I'm guessing closer to 20 secs than 30. oh yea, in addition to accelerator, $1.5 million dollars and huge pair of stones!

The average driver doesn't buy $1.5M sport cars; and so far as safe, it has a great deal of technology wrapped up to control suspension, stability, air handling (airfoils extend in lieu of braking) etc etc-- but in the end, you're going 200mph in a car, there is nothing 'safe' about.

AZ roads are nice too. I know that spot with the sand dune...its right after the part with rocks :laugh:

Texas Canyon is "the part with the rocks". Once you're through there, it's smooth sailing for 200 miles. I've run I-8 more than once at 90+ in SUV's/Pickups. If I had a racer with tires that would hold, I'd have nailed it.

trobinett
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
I just hope when the dumb ass "buy's it", he doesn't take anyone with him.:lame2:

Gunny
02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I just hope when the dumb ass "buy's it", he doesn't take anyone with him.:lame2:

True enough. I've pesonally never understood owning anything that exceeds teh speed limit. Granted, I can get my truck to 120 pretty quick, but I don't need it. Speed limit around her is 55 (I live on farm roads).

logroller
02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
What a waste a Bugatti is. Why spend that kind of coin on something that can't even get off the ground?
Heck Ida know why people do a lot of things, pride i guess. When all your buddies have Ferraris and Lambos; in addition to corp jets and what not-- one-upsmanship takes on a flavor I'll doubtfully ever savor. Around where I am its truck country, and they make em big; so big in fact, that it often disables the four wheel capability. I don't get it; but hey, you wanna blow $30-40k on a lift and tires to make the truck, a machine, less functional-- you are free to do so-- unfortunately, being foolish and wasteful isn't necessarily a crime. That said, exhibition of speed and wanton/wreckless endangerment are.

logroller
02-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Just watched a video of a Veyron racing a porsche; the Veyron's 1 mile ET was 26 sec at 210 mph.
video here (http://youtu.be/dBAyROg4n1U)

Nukeman
02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Did everyone else miss the part at the very end where it said the rides were shot "South of the border", now unless they are talking the Canadian border I don't see why the Arizona police would have anything to say.

As for this being a "casual" or "average" driver I would say very unlikely (I say professional). Some on here think a average to good driver cant handle faster speeds I say you're wrong. With the right car and proper conditions you can handle a lot especialy on a STRAIGHT stretch of road. Hell in my early 20's my wife and I were traveling up I55 in a group of 6 cars and we were doing 145mph for about 2 hours, until I had to get gas and lost the other 5 cars.

So 200mph on a STRAIGHT, FLAT, UNCROWDED road, ya I can see any decent driver able to do that.....

In case some missed it I would say this road was BLOCKED due to the LACK of traffic going the direction of the driver, notice in the video the other way had cars on the road but NOT on the same side as the Buggati!!!!!

ConHog
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Did everyone else miss the part at the very end where it said the rides were shot "South of the border", now unless they are talking the Canadian border I don't see why the Arizona police would have anything to say.

As for this being a "casual" or "average" driver I would say very unlikely (I say professional). Some on here think a average to good driver cant handle faster speeds I say you're wrong. With the right car and proper conditions you can handle a lot especialy on a STRAIGHT stretch of road. Hell in my early 20's my wife and I were traveling up I55 in a group of 6 cars and we were doing 145mph for about 2 hours, until I had to get gas and lost the other 5 cars.

So 200mph on a STRAIGHT, FLAT, UNCROWDED road, ya I can see any decent driver able to do that.....

In case some missed it I would say this road was BLOCKED due to the LACK of traffic going the direction of the driver, notice in the video the other way had cars on the road but NOT on the same side as the Buggati!!!!!

I've read a lot of articles about driving and one thing professional drivers all say is that around 175 mph even the best car becomes unpredictable in its handling. It's practically unavoidable. And that's on a race track.

IF this driver had hit 200 he undoubtedly would have shown the speedometer in the video. I mean they obviously had a cockpit cam going.

Nukeman
02-22-2012, 09:12 AM
I've read a lot of articles about driving and one thing professional drivers all say is that around 175 mph even the best car becomes unpredictable in its handling. It's practically unavoidable. And that's on a race track.

IF this driver had hit 200 he undoubtedly would have shown the speedometer in the video. I mean they obviously had a cockpit cam going.That also would have been admissible as evidence, now wouldn't it IF this was shot in Arizona, but like I said the statement at the END of the video says "Shot South of the Border".. That usualy means Mexico, plus the driver seems to me to be too calm for the"average" driver, he's acting like this is nothing new and if he was a casual driver he would have been hooping and hollering like crazy.... IMHO

ConHog
02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
That also would have been admissible as evidence, now wouldn't it IF this was shot in Arizona, but like I said the statement at the END of the video says "Shot South of the Border".. That usualy means Mexico, plus the driver seems to me to be too calm for the"average" driver, he's acting like this is nothing new and if he was a casual driver he would have been hooping and hollering like crazy.... IMHO

used for evidence in what? Like you say we don't even know where this was shot. No one would take that to court. And of course we see people posting videos incriminating themselves of omitting crimes all the time. So I doubt THAT is why the speedo wasn't shown.

Just my opinion as well.

darin
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM

IF this driver had hit 200 he undoubtedly would have shown the speedometer in the video. I mean they obviously had a cockpit cam going.

Hrm. What articles have you been reading? Anything recent (say, since 1985)? I've ran track days, passing inches from the wall at 140mph. I've taken 'the plunge' down turn 5 at ThunderHill (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Thunderhill_Raceway_Park.svg). I've autocrossed. I've dragged knee on sportbikes. Every driver I know believes car dynamics play the greatest role in 'predictable handling' - NOT the speed. Certainly with speed comes other factors - an inch of turn can mean feet of movement, etc...but Read much about the veyron? Here's one quote:

Driving great Steve Millen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Millen) says: "The (Veyron) goes dead straight. At 200 mph, you can take your hands off the wheel, and the car will keep going straight down the runway. It's very stable" :cool: (http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/speed-kings)

Even in less-stable cars, as Millen says of the Merc SLR - McLaren: "at around 185 mph, the SLR starts to wander a wee bit. It gets your attention. It feels like it's packing air under its nose."

A 'wee-bit' is not 'unpredictable handling'.

And another Exotic - the Porsche Ruf RT12: "I hit about 185 at the mile marker. This 
really is a super car. It's so stable. It's comfortable. Up around 200 mph, which is at about 
a mile and a half, the car just tracks perfectly down the middle of the runway, so there's 
absolutely nothing to be concerned about."

I could go on and on. With today's cars and their ever-increasing performance envelope, automobile systems are designed to allow the car to perform at speed with confidence not seen in cars even 10 years ago.

My Mazda feels a little floaty at 140. Could be the car would level out and firm up as speeds increases. However, 215hp at the crank (despite Mazda's published fictional 238hp - the number advertised when I bought the car) just isn't enough to find out.

The Veyron is capable of reaching 200mph with even a novice driver. "Should" a novice driver try it? Different argument. :)

Nukeman
02-22-2012, 09:27 AM
used for evidence in what? Like you say we don't even know where this was shot. No one would take that to court. And of course we see people posting videos incriminating themselves of omitting crimes all the time. So I doubt THAT is why the speedo wasn't shown.

Just my opinion as well.
Well evidence of reckless driving and exceeding the speed limit by a wide margin. As teh title implys possible Arizona, I however do not believe it was shot there but if the authorties thought it was and wanted to pursue charges than a "VIDEO" showing the speed as well as the road traveled on would be an addmission of guilt or are you stateing otherwise?? As for the speedmeter in the buggati it is a little one on the rt lower side the big dial in the middle is the tach and its solidly pegged at 6500 rpm in a 6 speed car like that I would say pretty darn close the 200mph mark.... Look up a image of the panel on google and you will see for yourself..

darin
02-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Just to add...

Folks are often under the misconception of 'My car'. For instance:

Chatting with a coworker last winter regarding the state of the roads due to snow:

Me: "Yeah...the freeway was covered, but I was still able to see 60mph in most places"

Co-worker, abruptly: "No you weren't! There's no way - i couldn't go even 45!"

Me: "What does my car's capability, my skill, and my car's tire traction have to do with yours?"

Co-Worker: "The roads were just too bad!"

Me: "For whom? Your subjective review of road conditions is only based on your experience - and mine is on MY experiences. So, truth is I could go 60mph. Instead of saying "No you weren't" you might have said "Well I wasn't able to".

Make sense? The capabilities of one car or 50 cars of different platform/equipment mean little to other cars. Thus, even if MOST cars capable of high top speeds (over 160mph, say) can get squirrely at 175mph - that fact, if it were even true, doesn't apply to the Veyron. :) Or a couple of the other cars in the link I provided.

darin
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Hrm. What articles have you been reading? Anything recent (say, since 1985)? I've ran track days, passing inches from the wall at 140mph. I've taken 'the plunge' down turn 5 at ThunderHill (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Thunderhill_Raceway_Park.svg). I've autocrossed. I've dragged knee on sportbikes. Every driver I know believes car dynamics play the greatest role in 'predictable handling' - NOT the speed. Certainly with speed comes other factors - an inch of turn can mean feet of movement, etc...but Read much about the veyron? Here's one quote:

Driving great Steve Millen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Millen) says: "The (Veyron) goes dead straight. At 200 mph, you can take your hands off the wheel, and the car will keep going straight down the runway. It's very stable" :cool: (http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/speed-kings)

Even in less-stable cars, as Millen says of the Merc SLR - McLaren: "at around 185 mph, the SLR starts to wander a wee bit. It gets your attention. It feels like it's packing air under its nose."

A 'wee-bit' is not 'unpredictable handling'.

And another Exotic - the Porsche Ruf RT12: "I hit about 185 at the mile marker. This 
really is a super car. It's so stable. It's comfortable. Up around 200 mph, which is at about 
a mile and a half, the car just tracks perfectly down the middle of the runway, so there's 
absolutely nothing to be concerned about."

I could go on and on. With today's cars and their ever-increasing performance envelope, automobile systems are designed to allow the car to perform at speed with confidence not seen in cars even 10 years ago.

My Mazda feels a little floaty at 140. Could be the car would level out and firm up as speeds increases. However, 215hp at the crank (despite Mazda's published fictional 238hp - the number advertised when I bought the car) just isn't enough to find out.

The Veyron is capable of reaching 200mph with even a novice driver. "Should" a novice driver try it? Different argument. :)

Bump - still curious what you're reading. :)

darin
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Just checking back in - trying to find where "one thing professional drivers all say is that around 175 mph even the best car becomes unpredictable in its handling"