PDA

View Full Version : Personal Responsibility

jimnyc
02-11-2012, 03:05 PM
That's another reason that America is going down the shitter, there is very little personal responsibility. There's an excuse for everything and everyone wants a handout. Someone mentioned in another thread that the politicians/church should pay for the upbringing of a child from a Mom they wouldn't pay for birth control for. WTF? How about not spreading your legs if you can't do so without protection? How about spending a dollar yourself? Someone else won't pay for it, therefore it can't be attained?

Kids run to their parents when they break the law. Parents spend $$$ to get them off and/or blame the police for harassing their kids. True story - when I was a kid I got busted for tossing snowballs at cars. Got caught by cops and they brought me home. At the same time they pulled up to my house, Dad was just getting home from work. They told him what happened and asked him what should be done, Dad told them to bring me in! It's called reality, a wake up call, learning from your mistakes. And looking back, I'm glad he did shit like that. He made me go back to Bradless (like a Kmart) for stealing roller skate wheels, and I had to get the manager and tell him what I did! LOL

OCA
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
That's another reason that America is going down the shitter, there is very little personal responsibility. There's an excuse for everything and everyone wants a handout. Someone mentioned in another thread that the politicians/church should pay for the upbringing of a child from a Mom they wouldn't pay for birth control for. WTF? How about not spreading your legs if you can't do so without protection? How about spending a dollar yourself? Someone else won't pay for it, therefore it can't be attained?

Kids run to their parents when they break the law. Parents spend $$$ to get them off and/or blame the police for harassing their kids. True story - when I was a kid I got busted for tossing snowballs at cars. Got caught by cops and they brought me home. At the same time they pulled up to my house, Dad was just getting home from work. They told him what happened and asked him what should be done, Dad told them to bring me in! It's called reality, a wake up call, learning from your mistakes. And looking back, I'm glad he did shit like that. He made me go back to Bradless (like a Kmart) for stealing roller skate wheels, and I had to get the manager and tell him what I did! LOL

Not enough personal responsibility and too much coddling and special rights granted to those who obviously don't know right from wrong.

Amerika will not make to 2100, guarantee it.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM

My parents were the same way. "You stole gum from the store?, well we're going back and you can return it to the manager, hope he doesn't call the cops." I was like 8.

And yes, the idea of a church or the government paying for an unplanned child because one or both of the parents weren't smart enough to find some way to obtain birth control is ridiculous. In my day if you had the misfortune of not having access to a condom then you passed on the sex. DUH!!

pegwinn
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Fear not, for we are not alone in despairing of the people not raised up "in my day".

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful]and impatient of restraint. Highlight everything between the arrows to see who wrote this >> Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C. <<

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Highlight everything between the arrows to see who wrote this >>Who wrote that, and when do you think it was written? Your own parents, last week? Ann Landers last year? A politician in the 60's? Actually it is an extract from a sermon preached by Peter the Hermit in A.D. 1274! That?s over 700 years ago.<<

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Highlight everything between the arrows to see who wrote this >>The Greek philosopher Plato studied under Socrates. Plato complained about the youth of the day, also.<<

Source (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=398104)

ConHog
02-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Fear not, for we are not alone in despairing of the people not raised up "in my day".

Yes, and look what happened to the Greek Empire. :laugh2:

logroller
02-11-2012, 07:27 PM

Look at Greece today...:cool:

Certainly many undesirable behaviors have manifested in our society due to the absence of natural consequence. In the interest of stability, some consequences are undesirable in a large and interrelated society-- inviting protection in exchange for freedom.
The question is whether the stability such protections provide, even if only as an illusion, is desirable? And if they are, is it better to be a pig satisfied, or Socrates dissatisfied? Whomever first said 'ignorance is bliss', likely was neither. :laugh:

OCA
02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Look at Greece today...:cool:

Thanks to Amerika, its all a domino effect.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks to Amerika, its all a domino effect.

Oh, the irony of in a personal responsibility thread a Greek blames Greece's woes on the US. :laugh2:

OCA
02-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh, the irony of in a personal responsibility thread a Greek blames Greece's woes on the US. :laugh2:

If you'd like to debate that there is a direct link to the ransacking of the U.S. economy by the Bush admin. to the economic havoc across the globe, or do you not believe that Wall St. had any effect on the Nikei etc. etc. etc.?

ConHog
02-11-2012, 09:02 PM
If you'd like to debate that there is a direct link to the ransacking of the U.S. economy by the Bush admin. to the economic havoc across the globe, or do you not believe that Wall St. had any effect on the Nikei etc. etc. etc.?

Oh, it had an effect no doubt about that but that isn't the same thing as being responsible. Many of Greece's own internal policies were at least as responsible as mean old BOOSH was.

OCA
02-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh, it had an effect no doubt about that but that isn't the same thing as being responsible. Many of Greece's own internal policies were at least as responsible as mean old BOOSH was.

Really? You are correct though but I doubt you know what those internal policies or problems are without googling it.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Really? You are correct though but I doubt you know what those internal policies or problems are without googling it.

So, I'm right, but I don't know what I'm talking about?

As for Googling things. I have to wonder what posting on a message board was like before Google came along, because let's just admit that we ALL Google up facts to help bolster our arguments from time to time. Who would or could really remember factoids about every subject discussed here.

OCA
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
So, I'm right, but I don't know what I'm talking about?

Correct, probably something you heard on Faux news.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Correct, probably something you heard on Faux news.

Where else would one get news, other than from news sources? Obviously since I'm in Arkansas I'm not engaged with Greek policies on a day to day basis. But when the details are verified by several different news organizations one can usually assume they are true.

OCA
02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Where else would one get news, other than from news sources? Obviously since I'm in Arkansas I'm not engaged with Greek policies on a day to day basis. But when the details are verified by several different news organizations one can usually assume they are true.

Would you trust a person living in a foreign country with telling you how things are in the U.S. because they see it in a news broadcast?

fj1200
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM

What did those mean old Bushies do?

Gunny
02-11-2012, 10:21 PM

Look what's happened to every dominant society once it lets the lawyers and politicians rule.

ConHog
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Look what's happened to every dominant society once it lets the lawyers and politicians rule.

Easy now, not ALL lawyers are bad, just most. :laugh2:

logroller
02-12-2012, 02:42 AM

Yea well Greece would be implementing a Nazi austerity plan if it weren't for the US; oh wait, I just realized who the EU economic power is calling for it now :laugh2:

I'm guessing I'd have a hard understanding Greece's internal policies-- aren't they written in Greek?
Bottom line though, I get-- What's their debt:GDP ratio-- without googling I'd say 1.4:1. What's your guess?

Easy now, not ALL lawyers are bad, just most. :laugh2:
ALL lawyers...except mine of course.

fj1200
02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Many of Greece's own internal policies were at least as responsible as mean old BOOSH was.

The real problem, well the problem that can no longer be used to cover up the real, real problems, was joining the Euro. They don't have the fortitude to make the correct changes and can't rely on Drachma devaluation to cover up the underlying issues.

OCA
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Wrong on all accounts.

Problem was rampant corruption for years, decades even.

Most coveted jobs in Greece were government jobs because you didn't have to show up to get paid. Tax evasion was almost an institution, nobody paid them. They ran up a deficit just like in America but don't have the ability to keep printing money out of thin air just like America and pretend everything is alright.

Well the 2008 Bush trashing of the world economy happens and its rippling effect is devastating on little countries like Greece, Portugal, Italy etc. etc. etc. so they institute some emergency austerity measures like actually showing up to work to get paid lol, crackdown on back taxes, no more free education rides etc. etc. etc. and the people get pissed because they have been used to the good life for a long time, couple that with most people having less entertainment dollars to spend(Greece is the #1 vacation spot in the world years running) and theiur #1 industry, tourism takes a plunge.

Its a recipe for disaster. Yeah, Greece had its own problems but Greece held no paper on any of the bad mortgage loans floating about.

Greece turned to European banks for loans who in turn packaged them complexly like subprime mortgages and sold them off around the world especially to countries like France and Germany and now the wolves are at the door.

fj1200
02-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Well the 2008 Bush trashing of the world economy happens...

Of which they could no longer devalue their way out.

What did those mean old Bushies do?

?

ConHog
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I just thought it was odd that a Greek would blame Greece's problems on the US , IN a thread about personal responsibility. Does it really matter if we understand what BOOSH ma have contributed to Greece's problems?

OCA
02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
I just thought it was odd that a Greek would blame Greece's problems on the US , IN a thread about personal responsibility. Does it really matter if we understand what BOOSH ma have contributed to Greece's problems?

Has been proven in a couple of threads I read last night you were involved in:laugh2:
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:you really are an idiot, I mean a certifiable idiot.

Do you really think that the Greek debt crisis is 100% their fault? Do you really think that the current world economic crisis can't be traced right back to our shores? Are you shitting me?

ConHog
02-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Has been proven in a couple of threads I read last night you were involved in:laugh2:
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:you really are an idiot, I mean a certifiable idiot.

Do you really think that the Greek debt crisis is 100% their fault? Do you really think that the current world economic crisis can't be traced right back to our shores? Are you shitting me?

look junior, those of us in the ADULT world realize that rarely is anything entirely one person's fault. And so when we are talking about personal responsibility, we mean taking PRIMARY responsibility . Not SOLE responsibility.

Greece is PRIMARILY responsible for her own economy.

OCA
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
look junior, those of us in the ADULT world realize that rarely is anything entirely one person's fault. And so when we are talking about personal responsibility, we mean taking PRIMARY responsibility . Not SOLE responsibility.

Greece is PRIMARILY responsible for her own economy.

Who are those in the adult world? Certainly you aren't one of those...example:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34256-Some-clarification

:laugh:

ConHog
02-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Who are those in the adult world? Certainly you aren't one of those...example:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34256-Some-clarification

:laugh:

Okay, just deflect then rather than answer the question put before you. That's what you're best at.

OCA
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Okay, just deflect then rather than answer the question put before you. That's what you're best at.

I take every opportunity to take a pot shot at you and believe me you leave more openings than swiss cheese.

Greece is primarily responsible for its own economy but events beyond its control exasperated the situation, let us back to the Drachma, forgive all debts owed and let business go back to usual.

bullypulpit
02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Not enough personal responsibility and too much coddling and special rights granted to those who obviously don't know right from wrong.

Amerika will not make to 2100, guarantee it.

And you're a role model? :laugh2:

OCA
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
And you're a role model? :laugh2:

Correct.

Clean any bedpans lately?

bullypulpit
02-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I take every opportunity to take a pot shot at you and believe me you leave more openings than swiss cheese.

Greece is primarily responsible for its own economy but events beyond its control exasperated the situation, let us back to the Drachma, forgive all debts owed and let business go back to usual.

Well ya see, Goldman-Sachs, some of the same folks responsible for the cratering of the US housing market and economy, helped hide the true extent of Greece's debt problem. Am I think ya meant "exacerbated". :rolleyes:

OCA
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Well ya see, Goldman-Sachs, some of the same folks responsible for the cratering of the US housing market and economy, helped hide the true extent of Greece's debt problem. Am I think ya meant "exacerbated". :rolleyes:

And your background knowledge on Greece is?

fj1200
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM

The business of corruption?

Not exactly a great plan for others to suffer pain so Greece can avoid responsibility.

ConHog
02-12-2012, 10:33 PM
The business of corruption?

Not exactly a great plan for others to suffer pain so Greece can avoid responsibility.

Please present your Greek economy credentials for examination. :coffee:

fj1200
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Please present your Greek economy credentials for examination. :coffee:

I wasn't aware you had to show credentials to know that Greece is a clusterF*. :slap:

ConHog
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I wasn't aware you had to show credentials to know that Greece is a clusterF*. :slap:

Hell, I wasn't even aware that you had to be an approved expert on ANY subject to have an opinion on a message board so....................

02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
Well ya see, Goldman-Sachs, some of the same folks responsible for the cratering of the US housing market and economy, helped hide the true extent of Greece's debt problem. Am I think ya meant "exacerbated".

And they just so happened to be supporting the Obama administration. How odd is that?:)

The only way to solve the problem of personal responsibility is to start being responsible ourselves and convincing others to do likewise. We might not be able to fix everyone, but we sure as heck can influence those in our sphere. And then maybe we will have a chance as a nation.

logroller
02-13-2012, 01:41 AM
The only way to solve the problem of personal responsibility is to start being responsible ourselves and convincing others to do likewise. We might not be able to fix everyone, but we sure as heck can influence those in our sphere. And then maybe we will have a chance as a society.
excellent post, even without my modification

02-13-2012, 02:08 AM
excellent post, even without my modification

They aren't mutually exclusive.

Ive been convinced for well over a year that the only way to change the nation is to change ourselves.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 02:26 AM

Ive been convinced for well over a year that the o

nly way to change the nation is to change ourselves.

Im convinced that voter exams is the solution

02-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Im convinced that voter exams is the solution

Unfortunately, voter exams are too easily abused.

logroller
02-13-2012, 03:29 AM

Ive been convinced for well over a year that the only way to change the nation is to change ourselves.
Exclusive/ inclusive? Sometimes I need to draft Vinn diagram to get it straight. But yea, you get what I meant. The nation, meaning the behemoth sloth that is Our sovereign, is just a shell of what Our society is; meaning its not wholly inclusive of our society. Gandhi, I think, said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Would not our nation be inclusive in 'the world', but it wouldn't quite have the same meaning, would it?

02-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Exclusive/ inclusive? Sometimes I need to draft Vinn diagram to get it straight. But yea, you get what I meant. The nation, meaning the behemoth sloth that is Our sovereign, is just a shell of what Our society is; meaning its not wholly inclusive of our society. Gandhi, I think, said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Would not our nation be inclusive in 'the world', but it wouldn't quite have the same meaning, would it?

You are correct.

So what is our society?

Oh and kudos on using Gandhi.I love Gandhi.

logroller
02-13-2012, 03:53 AM
You are correct.

So what is our society?

Oh and kudos on using Gandhi.I love Gandhi.

What is our society????
As I would have it, or as it is?

bullypulpit
02-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Correct.

Clean any bedpans lately?

Yep. I also ran a code, managed a patient on induced hypothermia, assisted with intubations and line placement, I've brought comfort to the sick and dying. What have you done...I mean beyond displaying your usual ignorance and overweening sense of self-importance?

And they just so happened to be supporting the Obama administration. How odd is that?:)

What's odd is the source of your information. In the 2012 election cycle, Mitt Romney has been the top recipient of money from Goldman-Sachs to the tune of $369,700. Source: http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=d000000085

darin
02-14-2012, 07:42 AM
gawddammit OCA and CH. MUST you two turn EVERY thread into your personal sausage-measuring, Love-fest? Geezus. Give it a f'ing rest, guys.

ConHog
02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
gawddammit OCA and CH. MUST you two turn EVERY thread into your personal sausage-measuring, Love-fest? Geezus. Give it a f'ing rest, guys.

Pardon? How did I do anything of the sort in this thread? OCA suggested that only Greeks should be able to comment on what happened in Greece and I debated that. No flames were thrown, no jabs taken. Simply he made a comment I debated his comment.

darin
02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Pardon? How did I do anything of the sort in this thread? OCA suggested that only Greeks should be able to comment on what happened in Greece and I debated that. No flames were thrown, no jabs taken. Simply he made a comment I debated his comment.

passive-aggressive, CH.

FWIW, OCA isn't greek. He's American.

ConHog
02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
passive-aggressive, CH.

FWIW, OCA isn't greek. He's American.

It wasn't any such thing. I've argued with people before when they state only someone who has first hand knowledge on a subject should debate that topic. Not just this topic and not just with OCA.

I know he's not Greek, that wasn't my point. He was arguing that since we aren't IN Greece we really don't know what their policies are based on news reports we've read seen. I merely argued that isn't true.

Just my opinion,but this time you flat saw something that wasn't there.

trobinett
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Would you trust a person living in a foreign country with telling you how things are in the U.S. because they see it in a news broadcast?

Oh, come on, if its on TV then its gotta be true-geezzz.:slap:

logroller
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh, come on, if its on TV then its gotta be true-geezzz.:slap:
I had my doubts about truth on television, but now that I've read it on the internet-- it's irrefutable fact.

LuvRPgrl
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM

YEA, I have heard that before, every generation thinks the next one is terrible.
Problem in this case though is that even the parents of the kids are behaving that way and supporting the kids to continue it.
And just because they were wrong about it before, doesnt prove its not correct now.

This time the changes that occured arereal, numerous and radical.
Divorce rate that is overwhelming
Fatherless homes,
abortion on demand,
minors gaining empowerment,
rampant sexual promiscuity,
overwhelming insertion of attornies in mundane everyday matters, (if a person does harm to another, even if they are truly sorry about what they did, they cant tell the victim that they are sorry, or it is admitting guilt)

dell phone mania giving the kids unheard of access to all things adult, an independence historically unparralled, quick easy access to pornography, advice and opinions on "what to do" from everyone except adults, parents, teachers, etc.

ITS OVER, THE GENIE IS OUT OF THE BOTTLE.
welfare out of control,
for the first time in the history of America religion has taken wholesale major hits.
Education is almost non existent for a huge percentage of our kids.,
They invented ADHD, and have millions of kids on drugs,
Mass murders at schools with auto weapons by "every day kids."
Violence is major league big time now, even involving guns and murder.
Parents and teachers make the kids their equals, wanting to be their friends instead of a parental figue.
WITHOUT DAD, plus with MOM AND THE TEACHER REJECTING THE PARENTING RESPONSABILITY, the kids have absolutely no chance,.

I kinda hate to say this, but feminists and man haters have given the woman of the house the final say so on anything she wants. Not the man, not even equal. She has the option to murder the babies that are suppose to be part of the family, and the man has absolutely no say so in it. NONE, ZIP, ZILCH, NADA.
and there is much more, the genie is out of the bottle.
you cant unring the bell, its over,

Ive seen your face a few times in the toilet water when I took a shit, and like shit, its a recycling, rehashing if you will, of the same ol, same ol, just like blaming Bush,
Get real.

Yep. I also ran a code, managed a patient on induced hypothermia, assisted with intubations and line placement, I've brought comfort to the sick and dying. What have you done...I mean beyond displaying your usual ignorance and overweening sense of self-importance?

What's odd is the source of your information. In the 2012 election cycle, Mitt Romney has been the top recipient of money from Goldman-Sachs to the tune of $369,700. Source: http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=d000000085

all that means is goldman-sachs truly believes mitt will be our next president.