PDA

View Full Version : Positivity

jimnyc
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM
We have the other thread going about rules and common sense, and I thought I would counter it with a thread where we can concentrate on the good things about the board. I'll start, and then the rest of you bastards can chime in with your thoughts.

Boobies.

I know you can't have seen it, but I stared at my computer screen for 5 minutes trying to think of positive things. And all I end up with is boobies. And truth be told, in 8 years, no boobies shared with me. So even that one worded line above doesn't count.

I hope you guys can come up with a better list than me. I suck. But my meds haven't fully kicked in yet. Maybe I can add later when I'm fully sedated,

ConHog
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
We have the other thread going about rules and common sense, and I thought I would counter it with a thread where we can concentrate on the good things about the board. I'll start, and then the rest of you bastards can chime in with your thoughts.

Boobies.

I know you can't have seen it, but I stared at my computer screen for 5 minutes trying to think of positive things. And all I end up with is boobies. And truth be told, in 8 years, no boobies shared with me. So even that one worded line above doesn't count.

I hope you guys can come up with a better list than me. I suck. But my meds haven't fully kicked in yet. Maybe I can add later when I'm fully sedated,

This is easy

Abbey

:salute:

logroller
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
DP positive: expression of ideas and personal development.

Having an outlet for my views has made me a better, more rounded person.

I know it sounds corny, but I'm a more caring person now than i was before I posted on this site. How ironic really, given the preconceived notions I've been exposed to in a democratic state, that predominantly conservative-based forum would enhance my compassion, but it has.

ConHog
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM

I know it sounds corny, but I'm a more caring person now than i was before I posted on this site. How ironic really, given the preconceived notions I've been exposed to in a democratic state, that predominantly conservative-based forum would enhance my compassion, but it has.

Oh, you want to be all serious and shit.

Well, I think this board has helped me expand my own thinking as well. There are some intelligent posters here who make intelligent debates and I appreciate that.

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
one of the best things about boards like this, it only takes a few key strokes to ban the people fucking it up......

ConHog
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
one of the best things about boards like this, it only takes a few key strokes to ban the people fucking it up......

It's virtually impossible for a person to fuck up a board unless they hack it or something.

It boils down to you want to ban people YOU don't like. I dare say Jim in fact doesn't just ban people because he doesn't like them, and that is one of the things that makes this a good board.

Jess
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Boobies.

Jimmy, my friend - there are many, many positive things to think about. Besides boobies. Seriously.

Everybody phoo-phoos internet "friends". Well, I figure as long as one keeps it in perspective, it's all good. In fact, two members of this board were good friends to me when I needed it most. People in my "real life" couldn't see what a couple people over 1000 miles away could see from my words on a screen. One of them is my very best friend and the other I will always consider a very, very good friend. So even if we're just words on a screen, think about the people who make you laugh, who make you think, who may just brighten your day for a minute.

Not everything on a board is puppies and rainbows. Some of it sucks, just like real life. Go figure. Consider the source, deal with it as appropriate, ignore it if it does nothing positive and/or move on.

Negativity will make you old, grouchy and lonely. Positive thinking is a very powerful thing. Life is a learning experience. Even when sucky stuff happens - pick out the good stuff or things that you can learn from and keep going.

If none of that works, holler that you need a hug. I'm good for one, Abbey (board "mom") is too. :hug99:

logroller
02-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Well, I think this board has helped me expand my own thinking as well. There are some intelligent posters here who make intelligent debates and I appreciate that.

Well sometimes it is serious and yes, as we've seen, it can get shitty too. I like to have fun, discussing things in a manner which, at times, is... confrontational. In my brick and mortar, in the flesh life I do the same, but to a far lesser degree. "Why?", one may ask; because I'd offend every other person I come into contact with if I challenged every person, upon every thing we discussed to a debate and, honestly CH, not everybody wants a challenge, nor to be dragged into a death match. -- you gotta just spar from time to time. SOmetimes that means giving others the opportunity to be vindicated. I'm not saying you should you kowtow to others in the effort of making them feel good; but rather, frame the debate in a manner which is win/win. I know its hard for some to comprehend, but I don't believe you are one those people. One stands to gain a great deal of power from making others feel as though they inspired their own position, rather than forcing them into a position of concession. Politics owes its nature to the power of persuasion; which isn't convincing people you were right and others were wrong-- its about convincing people that whether they're right or wrong doesn't matter, its understanding why.

SassyLady
02-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Jim, this board has helped me see that there are people in the world who have similar ideas and yet are polar opposites in personality. A hard core liberal or a hard core conservative can be be either mean or nice. Their politics do not make them likeable or not, it's the way they talk to people they know and people they don't know. This board has given me the opportunity to make friends from all over the world and to see things from many, many different perspectives. Thank you for having the patience to keep it going so we can continue to learn.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 12:41 AM
Well sometimes it is serious and yes, as we've seen, it can get shitty too. I like to have fun, discussing things in a manner which, at times, is confrontational. In my day to day life I do the same, but to a far lesser degree. "Why?", one may ask; because I'd offend every other person I come into contact with if I challenged every person, upon every thing we discussed to a debate and, honestly CH, not everybody wants a challenge, nor to be dragged into a death match. -- you gotta just spar from time to time. SOmetimes that means giving others the opportunity to be vindicated. I'm not saying you should you kowtow to others in the effort of making them feel good; but rather, frame the debate in a manner which is win/win. I know its hard for some to comprehend, but I don't believe you are one those people. One stands to gain a great deal of power from making others feel as though they inspired their own position, rather than forcing them into a position of concession. Politics owes its nature to the power of persuasion; which isn't convincing people you were right and others were wrong-- its about convincing people that whether they're right or wrong doesn't matter, its why.

I concede that I suck at that. I'm just a competitive person I guess. I don't back off, ever when I think I'm right, and sometimes not even when I know I'm wrong :laugh:.

And of course as you suggest, I don't have discussion in real life like I do here either. For one thing my real life friends for the most part have similar beliefs to me, and we don't really sit around discussing things like we do here in any case.

Sometimes though, things ARE actually black and white. One person is right, the other is wrong, and RARELY do you ever see someone admit being wrong on a message board. Whereas in real life if one of my friends is just flat proven wrong they admit it, and visa versa on the rare occasion that I am wrong. I actually think I try to do that here to, I have on more than one occasion written the words " I was wrong" or something similar, but can't recall a single time someone conceded being wrong in the face of my arguments, and it isn't because I haven't proven some conclusively wrong and they knew it. I won't embarrass anyone by naming names, but there has been more than time that it's happened that a person SHOULD have said "you're right, you've proven me wrong." and didn't.

Maybe it's because as you suggest I come across as too forceful and so people are just like "fuck that dude, I'm not admitting he got me", but I tend to dismiss that possibility because overall I don't really see it being done when other posters just flatly prove someone is wrong on something. So I don't THINK it's me.

logroller
02-13-2012, 03:03 AM
I concede that I suck at that. I'm just a competitive person I guess. I don't back off, ever when I think I'm right, and sometimes not even when I know I'm wrong :laugh:.

And of course as you suggest, I don't have discussion in real life like I do here either. For one thing my real life friends for the most part have similar beliefs to me, and we don't really sit around discussing things like we do here in any case.

Sometimes though, things ARE actually black and white. One person is right, the other is wrong, and RARELY do you ever see someone admit being wrong on a message board. Whereas in real life if one of my friends is just flat proven wrong they admit it, and visa versa on the rare occasion that I am wrong. I actually think I try to do that here to, I have on more than one occasion written the words " I was wrong" or something similar, but can't recall a single time someone conceded being wrong in the face of my arguments, and it isn't because I haven't proven some conclusively wrong and they knew it. I won't embarrass anyone by naming names, but there has been more than time that it's happened that a person SHOULD have said "you're right, you've proven me wrong." and didn't.

Maybe it's because as you suggest I come across as too forceful and so people are just like "fuck that dude, I'm not admitting he got me", but I tend to dismiss that possibility because overall I don't really see it being done when other posters just flatly prove someone is wrong on something. So I don't THINK it's me.
What's that you say, people are prideful...indeed they are. The person stating the more valid argument is no more right because another another person acknowledges it as such-- its the validity of the argument which is right. My point being, to engage another in a debate with the desired outcome being one conceding defeat is, actually, a point of pride. Touche;)

darin
02-13-2012, 06:27 AM
It's virtually impossible for a person to fuck up a board unless they hack it or something.

It boils down to you want to ban people YOU don't like.

Absolutely disagree. But this thread is about 'positivity'.

Uh...hrm....

ConHog
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Absolutely disagree. But this thread is about 'positivity'.

Uh...hrm....

agree to disagree then, no problemo

As for positives, there is quite a bit of good things about this board.

1. It's NOT usmb, can I get an amen.........

Gunny
02-13-2012, 09:29 AM

It boils down to you want to ban people YOU don't like. I dare say Jim in fact doesn't just ban people because he doesn't like them, and that is one of the things that makes this a good board.

Really? You can be such an insufferable ass and always have something to say no matter what that people just leave rather than tolerate a f*cking know it all with a diatribe for every occasion.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Really? You can be such an insufferable ass and always have something to say no matter what that people just leave rather than tolerate a f*cking know it all with a diatribe for every occasion.

Huh? This is a thread for POSITIVES about the board Gunny. So why the flame? Read my post you quoted and realize that all I said was that one thing good about this board is that Jim doesn't ban people just cuz he doesn't like them. Reading more into in that is just silly.

Gunny
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Huh? This is a thread for POSITIVES about the board Gunny. So why the flame? Read my post you quoted and realize that all I said was that one thing good about this board is that Jim doesn't ban people just cuz he doesn't like them. Reading more into in that is just silly.

Flame? Really? I just responded to a post. Simple as that. Reading more into it than there is?

CSM
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Too easy. This board allows me to see a lot of different facets of a variety of issues; posters here give me food for thought. Some posters here are like my virtual family ... some are dysfunctional but still ... I have never met anyone from this board but have developed relationships with many of them over the years that is just as valid as if they were sitting in my living room. Another good thing is when I find myself getting aggravated I can just shut it off and walk away and come back another day. I like this place a lot. I like the humor, the people and the format. Sometimes I can come here and read a joke or two and it brightens my day. I can come here and vent when I need to, and listen when others need to vent. I can agree to disagree, stand my ground when I need to and even dismiss (privately of course) other's point of view when I find them silly or unrealistic. I can reveal as much about myself as I want to and hide much more thanks to the anonymity of the internet. I can engage or not as I see fit. There are not many venues that allow all this.

Gunny
02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Too easy. This board allows me to see a lot of different facets of a variety of issues; posters here give me food for thought. Some posters here are like my virtual family ... some are dysfunctional but still ... I have never met anyone from this board but have developed relationships with many of them over the years that is just as valid as if they were sitting in my living room. Another good thing is when I find myself getting aggravated I can just shut it off and walk away and come back another day. I like this place a lot. I like the humor, the people and the format. Sometimes I can come here and read a joke or two and it brightens my day. I can come here and vent when I need to, and listen when others need to vent. I can agree to disagree, stand my ground when I need to and even dismiss (privately of course) other's point of view when I find them silly or unrealistic. I can reveal as much about myself as I want to and hide much more thanks to the anonymity of the internet. I can engage or not as I see fit. There are not many venues that allow all this.

I'm positive someone seems to keep the drama revved at 50K rpms around here.

CSM
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm positive someone seems to keep the drama revved at 50K rpms around here.

Heh ... it's only drama for those involved. To me, this place is sometimes like watching two kids going through puberty (referring to boys here) each trying to prove they have a bigger e-peen and neither realizing how small they both are compared to an adult male. It makes me laugh.

revelarts
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Good things in no particular order

1. "what you listening too"

2. Abbey, Chole, Kathianne, SassyL Shawdow etc..

3. Ditto

4. Ditto

5. I ended up here becuase another board shutdown and i wasn't NEARLY done venting.
6. And since i couldn't really get much feed back fussing at the TV and radio, you folks have been a cathartic for me at times.

7.Have to say i can't think of a person here who I haven't learn something from. Haven't always liked what i learned but it's learning none the less.

8. Helped me clarify some of my own thinking and flesh out some stray thoughts of mine.

jimnyc
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I gotta say, I really started this thread to be funny, as a diversion from the board drama, to try and get us to concentrate on the good things about the board as opposed to the hatred some have for one another. But then I come back and read a lot of really cool things in here. I hope we can continue this thread, and maybe the feeling in here can carry over a little bit to other threads. I know there will always be negativity on boards such as this, but it's up to the community as a whole to make this place what we want it to be. I believe collectively we all enjoy similar things and we all learn from one another and the community as a whole.

I'll continue the trend...

Something I like about DP is the amount of very intelligent members we have, basically everyone. Sometimes I sit back and feel dumb, as I can't keep up with certain debates, or can't fully understand what others mean. Sometimes I even have to refer to a dictionary to understand a post or 2! Even those that I have had some extremely heated debates with, they challenge me to better myself and learn more. Even when I lose in a debate, I win because I "learn" more with each loss.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
I gotta say, I really started this thread to be funny, as a diversion from the board drama, to try and get us to concentrate on the good things about the board as opposed to the hatred some have for one another. But then I come back and read a lot of really cool things in here. I hope we can continue this thread, and maybe the feeling in here can carry over a little bit to other threads. I know there will always be negativity on boards such as this, but it's up to the community as a whole to make this place what we want it to be. I believe collectively we all enjoy similar things and we all learn from one another and the community as a whole.

I'll continue the trend...

Something I like about DP is the amount of very intelligent members we have, basically everyone. Sometimes I sit back and feel dumb, as I can't keep up with certain debates, or can't fully understand what others mean. Sometimes I even have to refer to a dictionary to understand a post or 2! Even those that I have had some extremely heated debates with, they challenge me to better myself and learn more. Even when I lose in a debate, I win because I "learn" more with each loss.

I've learned from this board that there are some good folks from all walks of life if you give them a chance.

Shadow
02-15-2012, 08:17 AM

Boobies.

The main thing I have always liked about this board is that it is filled with posters that have a huge variety of knowledge and interests. You can pick just about any topic from religion,politics,history,the environment,relationships,books,music...you name it...and the posters not only like to discuss it,but the answers you will get are well thought out and intelligent. The posters here are pretty laid back and down to earth for the most part...and not trying to one up each other with witty or amusing comebacks...the majority of the conversations here flow naturally (as does the humor) and the folks are accepting of more than just their little group of friends. I find this board very refreshing as well as interesting. I agree with others who have said they feel they have learned a lot. I can agree with that too...in a variety of different subjects. You can't say that about a lot of other message boards,Jim. Most you have to weed through the garbage to find the little gems...it's not like that here. You have a lot to be proud of it's a great board.

Abbey Marie
02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

You mean you weren't being serious?!
:(

:coffee:

Abbey Marie
02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Positives:
1. There are both breadth and depth of topics here. I have never liked those single-topic type of boards. If I want politics here, there's plenty of it, but if I am in a less serious mood, the bottom half of the board is there.

2. Jim has always tried to keep the board as free from restrictions as possible. A few bad apples require rules, but on the whole, I think things run rather freely here. I remember reading the rules on another political board. It seemed like pages of rules telling you what you couldn't do. Uggh.

3. The ads are barely noticeable. Ever try posting on a board where the ads are in the middle of everything? Uggh.

4. I like that we have a military bent, and a real appreciation of our military folks, without being an exclusively military board.

5. There are some very cool people here.

6. Most of all, I get so much news here, I usually know what's going on before people who watch TV or read the paper for their news. I also get to hear about things I never would have. Those are the posts I thank the most.

fj1200
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Positives:
... A few bad apples require rules...

Correct on all counts. Sometimes those bad apples just suck the air out of the place and for a few days after the flames die out. No chance for debate then but alas...