PDA

View Full Version : Santorum: 'I Don't Try to Rig Straw Polls'

jimnyc
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Interesting. How much of an impact do these polls have anyway? And do others think they were "rigged" in the past or this year?

Rick Santorum accused two of his opponents of trying to influence the presidential straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference both in the past and at its event this weekend. In Saturday's poll, Romney came in first place with 38 percent and Santorum—typically considered a conservative favorite—took second with 31 percent.

“You know those straw polls, at CPAC,” he said on CNN’s State of the Union on Sunday. “For two years Ron Paul has won those because he just trucks in a lot of people, pays for their ticket, and they come in and vote and they leave. We didn’t do that. We don't do that. I don't try to rig straw polls.”

Santorum accused Romney of similar tactics at this year's conference. “You'll have to talk to the Romney campaign and [see] how many tickets they bought. We've heard all sorts of things.”

Santorum stopped short of accusing his rivals of dirty politics, saying that stacking the deck is “standard procedure for straw polls” and noting that, “there’s nothing wrong with that.”

“We just don’t think that’s a good use of our resources,” he said. “Governor Romney obviously may have a different idea.”

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/santorum-i-don-t-try-to-rig-straw-polls--20120212

Gunny
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Interesting. How much of an impact do these polls have anyway? And do others think they were "rigged" in the past or this year?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/santorum-i-don-t-try-to-rig-straw-polls--20120212

I've always said polls are rigged. I like Santorum. He must scare the crap out of the bureuacracy and those that can't think outside it. He's got MY vote. I'd prefer him to the rest of the "raised in Washington bureuacracy" crowd.

revelarts
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Ron Paul pays for their tickets? Look you can't have it both ways either we Paulites or Paulins are a FANATICS that will do anything even pay our own way to a straw poll and vote for the guy. Or we are Paid party hacks, paid for by a guy so corrupt he won't even take his own congressional pension.
Jeeze luosie man.
Get real, Santorum needs to be thankful he's doing as well as he's doing instead of moaning about Ron Paul's Straw poll wins. Sure there are "problems" with the straw polls, caucuses and general elections as well. But get real and Put some facts on the table. I could spend a long thread with all the rumors, hearsay and back room reports about how the local party controllers are in a "anyone but Paul" mode state to state. I've got my opinions but we need some real proof before people start taking us seriously or without a shrug of the shoulders. Jim, I'm kinda surprised your giving this serious treatment after the hard time you gave me over similar questions and I stress questions. It's important but i hope you can give it the rigorous scrutiny you apply to other candidates.

Gunny
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Ron Paul pays for their tickets? Look you can't have it both ways either we Paulites or Paulins are a FANATICS that will do anything even pay our own way to a straw poll and vote for the guy. Or we are Paid party hacks, paid for by a guy so corrupt he won't even take his own congressional pension.
Jeeze luosie man.
Get real, Santorum needs to be thankful he's doing as well as he's doing instead of moaning about Ron Paul's Straw poll wins. Sure there are "problems" with the straw polls, caucuses and general elections as well. But get real and Put some facts on the table. I could spend a long thread with all the rumors, hearsay and back room reports about how the local party controllers are in a "anyone but Paul" mode state to state. I've got my opinions but we need some real proof before people start taking us seriously or without a shrug of the shoulders. Jim, I'm kinda surprised your giving this serious treatment after the hard time you gave me over similar questions and I stress questions. It's important but i hope you can give it the rigorous scrutiny you apply to other candidates.

Ron Paul is the ONE person I'd consider NOT voting for. Anyone else, and I'm voting against Obama. Get some reality into your gourd, huh?

jimnyc
02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Jim, I'm kinda surprised your giving this serious treatment after the hard time you gave me over similar questions and I stress questions. It's important but i hope you can give it the rigorous scrutiny you apply to other candidates.

I think it's horseshit, I think Santorum is reaching. I don't think Paul did what this accusation points to. I'm simply posting a story I read.

Abbey Marie
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Jeeze luosie man.

Come on, Rev. It's Paulian. ;)