PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to double what you can lift?

Black Diamond
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Just starting out.

jimnyc
02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Just starting out.

Age? What type of lifting? How much you lifting now?

Black Diamond
02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Age? What type of lifting? How much you lifting now?
36. bench press about 160, I'd say...

Mr. P
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Just starting out.

It all depends on the quality of the "Diamond".
If it's high quality SHE"LL left it immediately regardless of the weight!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

CSM
02-13-2012, 07:17 PM
hmm... hard to say. It really depends on how much you work out, your metabolism and a whole lot of other stuff. If you are just starting out or haven't done it in a while, you may want to take it easy. If you overdo it (the whole macho thing will wreck ya!) it could hurt you pretty bad. I had help when I first started and that was the advice they gave me. Of course, I'm old so it takes me a lot longer to heal so I definitely did not want to overdo it.

Black Diamond
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
hmm... hard to say. It really depends on how much you work out, your metabolism and a whole lot of other stuff. If you are just starting out or haven't done it in a while, you may want to take it easy. If you overdo it (the whole macho thing will wreck ya!) it could hurt you pretty bad. I had help when I first started and that was the advice they gave me. Of course, I'm old so it takes me a lot longer to heal so I definitely did not want to overdo it.
Thinking of lifting three days per week.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Thinking of lifting three days per week.

Just curious, why a goal of lifting 320?

Nukeman
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
What he said. You're 36 so you will not see gains quickly. If you are just attempting to double what you lift your going to have to pack on muscle, the only way your going to do that is by working on primary muscle groups and eating a lot foods packed with protien, of course you are also going to see weight gain as well.

Start with doing the following

3 sets of 10 at 80% of your max bench, (and all other primary muscle groups) do this for 2 weeks redo your max and repeat. You will see gains but they wont be huge. Like all things it does take time.

If you haven't been a lifter don't overdo it. DON'T just do arms concentrate on ALL your main groups do Bench, squat, dead lift, straight arm curls with bench bar, lat work, and clean and press with dumb bells. These will hit all the major muscles to build strength. this will also cause you to put on weight because your going to need to EAT.

Good luck, for more detailed workouts go to menshealth.com They have a lot of 4-6 week plans and remember to mix it up at least every 4 weeks otherwise your muscles get "trained"...

Nukeman
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Just curious, why a goal of lifting 320?Because some of us can!!! :cool:

ConHog
02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Because some of us can!!! :cool:

I'm around 200 lb. Not bad for a runner, and a 40 year year old one at that.

Nukeman
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm around 200 lb. Not bad for a runner, and a 40 year year old one at that.Weighed 208 this morning 43 can still lift max at 325, used to be 360, gotten soft in my middle years. Still can squat over 400 but dont due to throwing my back out each time... I lift 3-4 days a week and also run 2 miles at least 3 times a week.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Weighed 208 this morning 43 can still lift max at 325, used to be 360, gotten soft in my middle years. Still can squat over 400 but dont due to throwing my back out each time... I lift 3-4 days a week and also run 2 miles at least 3 times a week.

I'll be 41 in April. I weighed 194 the last time I weighed, about a month ago. I run 5 miles 5 days a week. I don't lift weights at all, except when just messing around. But I do do my push ups and situps 5 days a week. In the summer I swim every day.

Black Diamond
02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
What he said. You're 36 so you will not see gains quickly. If you are just attempting to double what you lift your going to have to pack on muscle, the only way your going to do that is by working on primary muscle groups and eating a lot foods packed with protien, of course you are also going to see weight gain as well.

Start with doing the following

3 sets of 10 at 80% of your max bench, (and all other primary muscle groups) do this for 2 weeks redo your max and repeat. You will see gains but they wont be huge. Like all things it does take time.

If you haven't been a lifter don't overdo it. DON'T just do arms concentrate on ALL your main groups do Bench, squat, dead lift, straight arm curls with bench bar, lat work, and clean and press with dumb bells. These will hit all the major muscles to build strength. this will also cause you to put on weight because your going to need to EAT.

Good luck, for more detailed workouts go to menshealth.com They have a lot of 4-6 week plans and remember to mix it up at least every 4 weeks otherwise your muscles get "trained"...
Ok. And do this 3 days per week?

Nukeman
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Ok. And do this 3 days per week?yup.. Mon-Wed-Fri, rest over the weekend. If you are just starting out you will need the rest. and EAT.... Can try some whey protien if you want, you can get it at Wal-mart or GNC... Really about anywhere..

Thunderknuckles
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Ok. And do this 3 days per week?
To start with.
Like Nuke said, you don't want to overdo it. Ease into a bit. Once you really get going you can train daily, alternating muscle groups every other day. Always good to mix a little cardio in there for good measure.
Depending on your height, age, and body type benching 320 might be a bit much. Low to Mid 200's is a good all-around goal and you will have good musculature.

Black Diamond
02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Just curious, why a goal of lifting 320?
benchmark.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
benchmark.

okay. I only exercise to stay in good health. I don't wake up and think "today , I'm gonna run X fast.... although I do think today I'm gonna outrun my wife. That doesn't happen regularly like it used to. she beats me about twice a week now, sometimes 3.

Thunderknuckles
02-13-2012, 08:50 PM
okay. I only exercise to stay in good health. I don't wake up and think "today , I'm gonna run X fast.... although I do think today I'm gonna outrun my wife. That doesn't happen regularly like it used to. she beats me about twice a week now, sometimes 3.
If you're already in good health that is usually the case. When starting out it's a good to give yourself some quantifiable benchmarks and weight training lends itself to that naturally. I don't know much about running so I can't say much there but I would assume running the same distance in less time would be a good measure of improving physical ability.

ConHog
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
If you're already in good health that is usually the case. When starting out it's a good to give yourself some quantifiable benchmarks and weight training lends itself to that naturally. I don't know much about running so I can't say much there but I would assume running the same distance in less time would be a good measure of improving physical ability.

well of course in running improvement is measured in both longer distances and faster times. Sadly I'm on the downhill. Shit, my 6 year old will be outrunning me soon. :(

CSM
02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Running is definitely not my thing. I guess when it comes to the "fight or flight" thing I will have to choose fight from now on. As for lifting, as many know I started about 17 weeks ago with the bare bar. I am up to about 150 on the bench press BUT that progress is slowing down a LOT. I don't have a specific weight I am trying to get to, I just wnat to be reasonably fit for an old guy. I am trying to live long enough to be a burden to my children.

Gunny
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Just starting out.

Not sure what the question is. It would depend on the lift, and the amount of weight. Fotr instance, if you are bench pressing 100 lbs, I'd say it won't take long at all. If you are bench pressing 200 lbs, I'd say you got a tough row to hoe.:laugh: A standard when I was a kid before the bench press kings came into play (How much can you bench, bro?) was being able to lift your own bodyweight from the floor to over your head at least once.

It also depends on your goal. People lift weight for different reasons. I lift for strength. Others lift for looks. That will also determine your workout, and the exercises you use.

So, if you could elaborate a tad bit more, the question could have an easier answer.

Black Diamond
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Not sure what the question is. It would depend on the lift, and the amount of weight. Fotr instance, if you are bench pressing 100 lbs, I'd say it won't take long at all. If you are bench pressing 200 lbs, I'd say you got a tough row to hoe.:laugh: A standard when I was a kid before the bench press kings came into play (How much can you bench, bro?) was being able to lift your own bodyweight from the floor to over your head at least once.

It also depends on your goal. People lift weight for different reasons. I lift for strength. Others lift for looks. That will also determine your workout, and the exercises you use.

So, if you could elaborate a tad bit more, the question could have an easier answer.
I bench about 150, so would it be half way between not taking long at all and a tough row to hoe? :laugh: I will be using a nautilus type thing, as I don't have a spotter (not sure how much equipment matters). I'm lifting primarily for strength reasons, at least initially.

fj1200
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
I bench about 150, so would it be half way between not taking long at all and a tough row to hoe? :laugh: I will be using a nautilus type thing, as I don't have a spotter (not sure how much equipment matters). I'm lifting primarily for strength reasons, at least initially.

Definitely a tough row to hoe. Nautilus won't help. You have no one to push you.

Black Diamond
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Definitely a tough row to hoe. Nautilus won't help. You have no one to push you. I don't know anyone who lifts. I could get my cousin into it, but he lives about 150 miles away.

OCA
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Definitely a tough row to hoe. Nautilus won't help. You have no one to push you.

He doesn't mean Nautilus P, I think he is talking about the Smith Machine which is good in this case because he says he doesn't have a spotter and if he wants to lift some really heavy weight its his only option and not kill himself.

fj1200
02-15-2012, 12:28 AM
He doesn't mean Nautilus P, I think he is talking about the Smith Machine which is good in this case because he says he doesn't have a spotter and if he wants to lift some really heavy weight its his only option and not kill himself.

I'd guess not but you could be right, I'm envisioning those machines that are designed to do one thing. He could do a lot without a spotter and still stick with free weights.

Gunny
02-15-2012, 12:55 AM

I lift dead weight. Macines are cool I guess, if that's what you want. I can lift a lot more on a machine than I can dead weight. The drawback to machines is your secondary muscles that come into play to balance and control dead weight don't come into play. All you have to do is rack the machine. There's no balance and control. Just pushing from pint A to point B.

I will state however that using the machine is better than doing nothing at all, and kudos to you for doing so. I don't expect everyone should be able to lift as I do, and I'm certainly not saying my way is the only way.

If you're on a nautilus-type machine, try doing 10 reps for your first set. Then add 10-20 lbs per set until you are at 6 reps. If I recall you correctly, you're a tad bit aged to try going for singles. 3-6 reps will increase your strength. 10 and over is bodybuilding stuff.

Like I said, depends on what you want.

Gunny
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM

I'm thinking home gym type stuff. I've known BD for a couple of years. He's usually pretty straight to the point. If one wishes to push the limits, a Smith machine is a good bet. Same with a rack. You can always bail.

Black Diamond
02-15-2012, 07:14 PM
I belong to snap fitness, one of those 24 gyms. So if you're familiar with those, that's the equipment I am using.

Gunny
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I belong to snap fitness, one of those 24 gyms. So if you're familiar with those, that's the equipment I am using.

LOL. Never heard of it. I always used the base gym until I had managed to acquire about 600 lbs in Olympic weights. I have been known to use my patio, garage and even living room since, depending on where I was living and how much room. I kept everything in the hall closet in VA and dragged it to the living room every day. Made my own pullup bar by hanging to eyebolts with hooks into the patio beam and putting a Universal machine pulldown bar in the hooks. My current pullup bar is an old weight bar suspended between two rafters in the garage.:laugh:

The topic and hand ... you said you can bench press 150. How many times? If it's only once, back off that weight and work up from 100 lbs, adding ten pounds per set. One of the hardest things to learn (took MY hard head 2 years) if you lift your max and/or try to exceed it each and every workout, you'll not increase your lifts. I struggled with 275 for 2 years. Meaning I could lift 270 on chest day, twice a week. Once I dropped back and started using lighter weight and more reps, the next time I tried singles I was over 300.