PDA

View Full Version : Fantasizing

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
If you could move to any other state in the country, with no issues such as where to work, etc., where would you go? Why?

If you *love* your current state, great for you, but that's not really the point here.

PS No fair choosing Hawaii- that's just too obvious, haha.

CSM
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Someplace warm with lots of opportunity for boating, fishing and scuba diving ... GUlf coast state maybe?

Nukeman
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
North Carolina. Love the state. beach, mountains and everything in between in just a couple of hours without the lunatic liberals everywhere.. :laugh:

Binky
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Maybe Las Vegas, Nev., where I could have the night life right at my finger tips. Or maybe along the gulf coast of Texas. Calif and Florida don't interest me as they are far too populated.

darin
02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Geez this is rough. I'd need a place with all four seasons, wide-open spaces, close to amenities, off the beaten path...

I'd want a place with resources. Great salmon runs, good hunting/trapping. Fresh soft water, timber galore.

Something like this? http://www.landwatch.com/Haakon-County-South-Dakota-Land-for-sale/pid/204072623

But - here's the rub...

If we aren't talking 'survival' when 'SHTF' - man, again I'm torn. I'd LOVE to live in a down-town flat/loft apartment. Gulf coast is amazing. Would provide year-round food source (assuming I had fuel to run out into the ocean to fish).

Blah - I want my cake, but I want to eat my cake. If I eat my cake, I won't have it anymore.

CSM
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Geez this is rough. I'd need a place with all four seasons, wide-open spaces, close to amenities, off the beaten path...

I'd want a place with resources. Great salmon runs, good hunting/trapping. Fresh soft water, timber galore.

Something like this? http://www.landwatch.com/Haakon-County-South-Dakota-Land-for-sale/pid/204072623

But - here's the rub...

If we aren't talking 'survival' when 'SHTF' - man, again I'm torn. I'd LOVE to live in a down-town flat/loft apartment. Gulf coast is amazing. Would provide year-round food source (assuming I had fuel to run out into the ocean to fish).

Blah - I want my cake, but I want to eat my cake. If I eat my cake, I won't have it anymore.

Get more cake if you eat all yours! Worst case, take it from somebody who isn't eating theirs anyway. J/K *sheesh*

PostmodernProphet
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I would get myself a great big motor home and live in all of them, a few months at a time.....

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I always seem to change my mind about this. I have strongly considered North Carolina, Maine, and Oregon.

DragonStryk72
02-16-2012, 03:49 PM
If you could move to any other state in the country, with no issues such as where to work, etc., where would you go? Why?

If you *love* your current state, great for you, but that's not really the point here.

Virginia. I love the ocean, and I fell in love with the area back in my Navy days. Even with the economy in the tank, the job situation is pretty good thanks to all the military bases in the area (7 in Hampton Roads area alone), and then you got Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, VA Beach, The Blue Ridge Mountains, there's really something for everyone in the state. One of my regular cons of the year is there, Nekocon, an anime convention held each year in Newport News. All in all, it's my favorite place.

DragonStryk72
02-16-2012, 03:54 PM

But - here's the rub...

You should check out the Hampton Roads area of VA. A lot of Ocean comes inland a bit, so you could get a place along the Chesapeake bay, fish the ocean, go hunting up by Yorktown, where they have deer literally wandering into people's yards (Yeah, we're a bit overpopulated at the moment), lots of ground out away from civilization for building a cabin or some such if you want.

We do get all four seasons, though if you want snow, you'll need to get inland a bit, over toward Williamsburg.

OCA
02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I always seem to change my mind about this. I have strongly considered North Carolina, Maine, and Oregon.

Oregon sucks unless you like about 9 months of rain.

Try Arizona.

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Oregon sucks unless you like about 9 months of rain.

Try Arizona.

Oh, lordy, no! Hate the heat, don't like a desert view, love tons of trees and wildlife, love the ocean. Come to think of it, Maryland might be great, too.

jimnyc
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Alaska or somewhere in the Antarctic, where no one could find me, but in an area where I can stockpile all of my needs. All I need is a woman, food and an internet connection. I hate the entire world and I think this would be a good place for me. I'm allergic to stupidity and can handle what I find on the internet. :coffee:

OCA
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Oh, lordy, no! Hate the heat, don't like a desert view, love tons of trees and wildlife, love the ocean. Come to think of it, Maryland might be great, too.

Maryland sucks too unless you like paying exorbitant taxes, don't do it!

Abbey Marie
02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Maryland sucks too unless you like paying exorbitant taxes, don't do it!

So, what would you choose? (Greece doesn't count!)

OCA
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Florida, tropical, no state income tax.

darin
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I think I'd like an RV like this:

http://truckaccessoryguide.com/img/unicat3.jpg

To get to my survival place - more I consider it, am thinking West Virginia, NC, or Tennessee. Mild climates...

OCA
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
I think I'd like an RV like this:http://truckaccessoryguide.com/img/unicat3.jpgTo get to my survival place - more I consider it, am thinking West Virginia, NC, or Tennessee. Mild climates...If you have a 9th grade education then you are too smart to live in WV.

pegwinn
02-16-2012, 10:11 PM

The title of the thread meant I just had to look :laugh:

I've lived in Hawaii and it sucks, or blows. It all depends on which side of the island you live on.

I hate snow, cold, sleet, ice etc. So when I eventually retire I will move so far south that I can go to a public library and look up winter in the dictionary. When the dictionary no longer features that word.... I will retire.

I've done typhoons. So I can't imagine living on a coastline where storms are common.

I think that I will keep a permanent residence in Texas since the state is more common sense than most. But, I like the RV idea. Roadtrips always rock.

Anyone wanna go halfsies on the gas?

logroller
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I would get myself a great big motor home and live in all of them, a few months at a time.....

Like minds think alike...meaning its the state of mind I'd choose, not merely a destination...only mine would be found aboard a sailboat, admittedly that would limit my travels somewhat (need ports/water)BUT would of course open up an abundance of destinations. :beer:

SassyLady
02-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Wyoming.

First state to allow women to vote among a lot of other things that involve women. The Tetons are incredible.

DragonStryk72
02-17-2012, 01:35 AM

Virginia. tons of Ocean, trees, mountains, and wildlife, low cost of living, and it's the 2nd best state in the union to start a business in. Texas is first, but it's a fuck ton of hot.

logroller
02-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Wyoming.

First state to allow women to vote among a lot of other things that involve women. The Tetons are incredible.

Subtle, perhaps not so-- either way innuendo is big selling point.

nadineB
02-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Its a fantasy that may come true. Nothing is impossible and it can happen when you go on other places and enjoy boating, fishing, and etc.