PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi says "98% of Catholic women use birth control"

jimnyc
02-16-2012, 12:40 PM
I would LOVE to know where her stats come from myself. I'm putting my money on "out of her ass"

During a weekly briefing on congressional issues, House Minority Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) made a startling claim about Catholic women's usage of birth control, stating that "98 Percent of Catholic women"..."Use Birth Control"

It remains unclear at this moment where exactly the Minority Leader is obtaining her statistics.

http://nation.foxnews.com/nancy-pelosi/2012/02/16/pelosi-98-percent-catholic-womenuse-birth-control

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3yDJEnnmm8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gunny
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
I would LOVE to know where her stats come from myself. I'm putting my money on "out of her ass"

http://nation.foxnews.com/nancy-pelosi/2012/02/16/pelosi-98-percent-catholic-womenuse-birth-control

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3yDJEnnmm8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I'd really like to meet some of the idiots that actually vote for her term after term. She is as whacky as it gets. She probably got her stats the same place most of the loony left does. Got pulled out of a "nether region".

logroller
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I think it's from a 2006 Harris poll; which actually read 98% of catholic women report having used a manmade contraceptive device (meaning the pill or condoms)during their lifetime-- not o be confused th 98 percent using contraceptives. I believe the same poll found 90 percent of Catholics had no issue with contraceptive use. I'll see if I can't find a link, but I'm also playing with blocks, so priorities pulling at my pant leg take precedence.

Gunny
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
I think it's from a 2006 Harris poll; which actually read 98% of catholic women report having used a manmade contraceptive device (meaning the pill or condoms)during their lifetime-- not o be confused th 98 percent using contraceptives. I believe the same poll found 90 percent of Catholics had no issue with contraceptive use. I'll see if I can't find a link, but I'm also playing with blocks, so priorities pulling at my pant leg take precedence.

90% of WHAT Catholics? First, let's set the stage ... I think polls are crap and pay little attention to them. I'm friends with a guy who used to design and study them and what he told me I already know: It's what you ask and who you ask that defines the answer.

Contraception is against the teachings of the Catholic Church. THAT is a written in stone fact. Some pollsters numbers however, are not.

logroller
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/Harris-Interactive-Poll-Research-New-Finds-Different-Religious-Groups-H-2005-10.pdf

This confirms the 90% number; assuming you trust Harris polls:dunno:

logroller
02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
90% of WHAT Catholics? First, let's set the stage ... I think polls are crap and pay little attention to them. I'm friends with a guy who used to design and study them and what he told me I already know: It's what you ask and who you ask that defines the answer.

Contraception is against the teachings of the Catholic Church. THAT is a written in stone fact. Some pollsters numbers however, are not.
I heā ya gunny. But having been raised catholic, I've known a few, and honestly that number's not unbelievable. Not all Catholics become saints!

jimnyc
02-16-2012, 01:39 PM
There's no doubt that many Catholics use a means of birth control, and most likely condoms being the top choice. But I find the numbers, 90% and up, or in that area, hard to believe.

But anyway, I also think Pelosi is trying to somehow make Catholics look hypocritical, as if "well, they use it themselves, so they should shut up" (not her quote of course). I would like to see another one of these polls, being only Catholics polled, and let's see what percentage would take personal responsibility and cost into their own hands, or how many think their employer should foot the bill for their responsibility.

I think the first set of numbers are likely lower if you actually polled "all" Catholics, and I think if you polled the latter, you would find that the majority of Catholics would consider this their own responsibility.

logroller
02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
There's no doubt that many Catholics use a means of birth control, and most likely condoms being the top choice. But I find the numbers, 90% and up, or in that area, hard to believe.

But anyway, I also think Pelosi is trying to somehow make Catholics look hypocritical, as if "well, they use it themselves, so they should shut up" (not her quote of course). I would like to see another one of these polls, being only Catholics polled, and let's see what percentage would take personal responsibility and cost into their own hands, or how many think their employer should foot the bill for their responsibility.

I think the first set of numbers are likely lower if you actually polled "all" Catholics, and I think if you polled the latter, you would find that the majority of Catholics would consider this their own responsibility.

To be fair, the poll ? should be how many Catholics think their insurance should cover BC; not their employer. And while we're on the subject-- do you or your wife use BC, if not, need I remind you of those times you've mentioned not enough sex 'round JIMNYC household...just saying:poke:

Little-Acorn
02-16-2012, 01:44 PM
She's simply using the Goebbels Method:

"If you tell a big enough lie, often enough, people will believe it; and then it becomes The Truth."

Already being used effectively with the new "issue" of "Republicans want to ban birth control".

jimnyc
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
To be fair, the poll ? should be how many Catholics think their insurance should cover BC; not their employer. And while we're on the subject-- do you or your wife use BC, if not, need I remind you of those times you've mentioned not enough sex 'round JIMNYC household...just saying:poke:

Never the pill, but we have used condoms in the past, and we sure as shit never expected ANYONE to foot the bill for our responsibility. I don't think our insurance should even offer it, if they even do.

There's nothing that can happen from sex that a responsible person can't avoid IF they act responsibly.

Gunny
02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I heā ya gunny. But having been raised catholic, I've known a few, and honestly that number's not unbelievable. Not all Catholics become saints!

I respect that you were raised Catholic. I've known more than a few. I find 90% an unbelievable number. Again, I would ask WHICH Catholics? The ones in line out side the free clinic? I don't trust teh poll without knowing the parameters and the specific question asked.

I don't doubt for a minute some Catholics use birth control. I just doubt the percentage; especially, in the context Pelosi is misusing it.

logroller
02-16-2012, 01:54 PM
She's simply using the Goebbels Method:

"If you tell a big enough lie, often enough, people will believe it; and then it becomes The Truth."

Already being used effectively with the new "issue" of "Republicans want to ban birth control".
While we're on that path , wanna talk about the roman Catholic church's complicit actions with the nazi roundup of Jews ? I'll see your hyperbole and raise you historical fact.

Gunny
02-16-2012, 01:59 PM

I'm all about birth control. I'm a non-practising Southern Baptist though. This issue; which, IMO, the left is trying to twist in usual fashion in not about the birth control itself. What's been lost in the sauce myriad thread after myriad thread and rant after rant from the left is this:

Where does Obama get off establishing the US Government as the supreme religion of the land when the US Constitution expressly forbids it? By his own words and actions, he IS establishing himself -- and the office of the President/US government -- as supreme to ANY religious beliefs. Single out the Catholics. Divide and conquer. He's a master at the game we've sat and watched it happen. It's going to happen in the next Presidential race as well, IF we let it.

logroller
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
I respect that you were raised Catholic. I've known more than a few. I find 90% an unbelievable number. Again, I would ask WHICH Catholics? The ones in line out side the free clinic? I don't trust teh poll without knowing the parameters and the specific question asked.

I don't doubt for a minute some Catholics use birth control. I just doubt the percentage; especially, in the context Pelosi is misusing it.
Pelosi mentioning hurts her cause IMHO. It's like the dumb obnoxious guy taking your side in a debate; it's more likely to dissuade support than garner it. I did link to the poll, did it give any parameter data?

Gunny
02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Pelosi mentioning hurts her cause IMHO. It's like the dumb obnoxious guy taking your side in a debate; it's more likely to dissuade support than garner it. I did link to the poll, did it give any parameter data?

I hear ya.

I didn't look at the poll. They rarely divulge the actual info. I've just gotten to where I take them all with a grain of salt. Doesn't matter who or which side. Both can and do play the same game. The left just prefers to get further into outer space with their loony left interpretations.:laugh:

logroller
02-16-2012, 02:35 PM
I hear ya.

I didn't look at the poll. They rarely divulge the actual info. I've just gotten to where I take them all with a grain of salt. Doesn't matter who or which side. Both can and do play the same game. The left just prefers to get further into outer space with their loony left interpretations.:laugh:
So far as salt goes, I've learned from experience to taste before salting. Completely with ya on the loony left, and political gamesmanship on all sides; as a native Californian I've learned to just expect nothing but a spoonful of shit, and every so often I get a piece of sweetcorn- mmmmmm

logroller
02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Never the pill, but we have used condoms in the past, and we sure as shit never expected ANYONE to foot the bill for our responsibility. I don't think our insurance should even offer it, if they even do.

There's nothing that can happen from sex that a responsible person can't avoid IF they act responsibly.

I've used a condom maybe 5 times in my life, so the pill is what I'm familiar with, and I can tell you getting that through my wife's ObGyn is far more preferable to the free clinic. The issue I about insurance through one's employer is a valid critique; but one which begs further discussion into rather the employer should be able to at all, as it functions as non-taxable compensation and way of circumventing the tax structure. But that's perhaps a bigger discussion than the one addressed here.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm rather adept at the rhythm method too. My first two children I predicted to my wife, like the night of. The last well, I was grieving the loss of my grandmother and was a little off my game-- I blame the wife for "taking advantage" of me in my time of weakness:laugh: Got me a boy though, so she's pardoned.

As to the validity of the poll, or any statistic for that matter, I never resist the opportunity to drop Mark Twain's quote "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

DragonStryk72
02-16-2012, 03:45 PM

The thing is that it's really an attempt to frame the debate she wants to have, as opposed to the actual debate that's on the table. The problem with this is that Conservatives never call them on this. It isn't about whether Birth Control is correct or not, that's not the discussion, but whether the Catholic Church and other groups that are directly against it should be forced to pay for it. Saying that 98% percent use birth control is completely beside the point.

Me, I've read the bible, and the section that the church uses as proof that birth control is wrong isn't really about what they think it is, IMO. It refers to this guy who God commands to impregnate a woman, but he's not in love with her, and doesn't want to do, but God said so, so fine, he agrees to go along with it, but pulls out at the last minute. To me, God always seemed more pissed off that he went back on his word than anything else in the set up.

Now, that being my opinion let me state a fact: my opinion on birth control has nothing to do with this case. Yeah, that's right, my opinion means absolutely nothing here, because it isn't about the right or wrong of birth control.

Gunny
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
The thing is that it's really an attempt to frame the debate she wants to have, as opposed to the actual debate that's on the table. The problem with this is that Conservatives never call them on this. It isn't about whether Birth Control is correct or not, that's not the discussion, but whether the Catholic Church and other groups that are directly against it should be forced to pay for it. Saying that 98% percent use birth control is completely beside the point.

Me, I've read the bible, and the section that the church uses as proof that birth control is wrong isn't really about what they think it is, IMO. It refers to this guy who God commands to impregnate a woman, but he's not in love with her, and doesn't want to do, but God said so, so fine, he agrees to go along with it, but pulls out at the last minute. To me, God always seemed more pissed off that he went back on his word than anything else in the set up.

Now, that being my opinion let me state a fact: my opinion on birth control has nothing to do with this case. Yeah, that's right, my opinion means absolutely nothing here, because it isn't about the right or wrong of birth control.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! No kidding.

Well, not conservatives. The have no real voice. Republicans won't call them on it.

Jess
02-16-2012, 11:35 PM
I've used a condom maybe 5 times in my life, so the pill is what I'm familiar with, and I can tell you getting that through my wife's ObGyn is far more preferable to the free clinic. The issue I about insurance through one's employer is a valid critique; but one which begs further discussion into rather the employer should be able to at all, as it functions as non-taxable compensation and way of circumventing the tax structure. But that's perhaps a bigger discussion than the one addressed here.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm rather adept at the rhythm method too. My first two children I predicted to my wife, like the night of. The last well, I was grieving the loss of my grandmother and was a little off my game-- I blame the wife for "taking advantage" of me in my time of weakness:laugh: Got me a boy though, so she's pardoned.
I
As to the validity of the poll, or any statistic for that matter, I never resist the opportunity to drop Mark Twain's quote "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Do you know what you call people who use the rhythm method?

Parents.;)

LuvRPgrl
02-16-2012, 11:46 PM

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P3yDJEnnmm8" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Contraception is only one issue I have with the catholic church, and Im not sure how they cum up with that.

That being said, are there even 98% of catholic women near child bearing age?